Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 7 Nov 2008, 14:07 (Ref:2330067)   #26
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
Peter what was the feedback from the drivers after the rolling start at the Leinster Trophy? I know that it was the only sensible thing to do because of the conditions that day, but if the overheating issue is a significant problem, would it be of any benefit to have rolling starts all the time? It would prevent any unnecessary waiting on the line, and assuming that the leaders don't arrive at Dunlop while the tail-enders are still in the Esses, it shouldn't have much of an impact on the amount of laps before the blue flags are needed!

I should add that I'm not a big fan of rolling starts, but sometimes they're the better option.
I spent that day in the Children's Hospital in Crumlin so I don't honestly know. That said, I didn't hear any comments afterwards either negative or positive.

When I was karting, all starts were rolling and there was never really any problems but that was always in classes where we all drove pretty much the same machinery.
Libre is the only class in Mondello with such a diverse spread of machinery and so if we were to have rolling starts then we would have pretty much the exact scenario that you described in your post. Bear in mind that all it takes is one car stalling when leaving the Assembly area and the place is jammed up while a jump battery or air starter is re attached. While this is going on, the first few guys are sitting on the grid boiling.

A possible solution to this would be to release everyone from the Assembly area where we then proceed to the grid and shut off for five mins or so. We then get released for the green flag lap, come back around and take the start as normal. Much of the waiting time on the grid is taken up by getting guys into position so if this could be done during those five mins then a lot of the boiling problems could be solved.

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 7 Nov 2008 at 14:11.
Old 7 Nov 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2330094)   #27
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
I guess my main issue with the series is that fact that it is allowed to have cars on the same grid with hugely different performance levels. It's downright dangerous. I know Libre means 'free' but within reason.

I understand too that the drivers are entitled to an opportunity to race so it is a tricky one. However, I think in the interest of the series, there should be a ruling on performance differential and eligibility.
I agree with what you are saying, but it just is not possible. In an ideal world there would be twelve to sixteen "over two litre" cars and the same for two litre and under, two separate races and off we go. Splitting the grids was tried this year and didn't work because there just aren't enough cars. Period.

Remember that a race was canceled this year due to poor entries and the last race was looking dodgy for a while until entries reached the lofty height of eleven! So basically we need every car we can get just to justify being there and after that its down to that old chestnut - driving standards.

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 7 Nov 2008 at 14:43.
Old 7 Nov 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2330262)   #28
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne
Remember that a race was canceled this year due to poor entries and the last race was looking dodgy for a while until entries reached the lofty height of eleven! So basically we need every car we can get just to justify being there and after that its down to that old chestnut - driving standards.
3 out of the 11 being Vees in the first race and 3 of 8 in the second race!!
Old 7 Nov 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2330315)   #29
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not trying to be pedantic, but what happens if some guy (or girl) wants to try motor racing and decide to race a Vee.
In order to gain some racing experience they enter both the Vee and the Libre races. They could easily be 10sec off the Formula Vee pace at the start of the season. And obviously have zero racing experience.
Will the organisers let them race?

Last edited by SAMD; 7 Nov 2008 at 21:30.
Old 7 Nov 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2330336)   #30
libre racer
Rookie

libre racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know that there are plenty of Libre competitors lurking on the sidelines here. Why dont some of you register and throw your tuppence worth into the discussion?
Double headers are fine for 2 day events such as the Leinster Trophy meeting but 1 race early in the afternoon instead of 5.15pm would sound better to me for 1 day meetings.As for slower cars and large time differences between cars, we should be glad to accept any entries next season if the trend we have seen at the end 08 is anything to go by.Hopefully i am wrong this time.This might sound silly but if Mondello painted the grid position numbers on the track,it might speed up the griding of cars.It looks easy from the sideline but when you are lining up it is hard to see your position until the cars in front have stopped .What do others think?Maybe its easier from pole!
Old 8 Nov 2008, 00:00 (Ref:2330412)   #31
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by libre racer
This might sound silly but if Mondello painted the grid position numbers on the track,it might speed up the griding of cars.It looks easy from the sideline but when you are lining up it is hard to see your position until the cars in front have stopped .What do others think?Maybe its easier from pole!
Got to agree with you here. I've been racing (most would say driving badly) for years and never seem to know where to line up at Mondello. Give us painted numbers. I have no probs anywhere else. As a non libre racer all I can say is leave the starts both standing and normal grid positions. A vee on the front row would be too slow, and rolling starts never look right! From the stand the starts are great.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 04:09 (Ref:2330492)   #32
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
This might sound silly but if Mondello painted the grid position numbers on the track,it might speed up the griding of cars.
I'd prefer grid girls with number-boards. Think I'll raise that with John Morris
Old 8 Nov 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2330529)   #33
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
This might sound silly but if Mondello painted the grid position numbers on the track,it might speed up the griding of cars.It looks easy from the sideline but when you are lining up it is hard to see your position until the cars in front have stopped.
Thats actually not a bad idea.

I think the problem starts in the assembly area which is marked out more like a car park than a grid. If we were formed two by two in two lines then it would be really easy to know exactly who is in front of you when you arrive onto the circuit and also which side you are on.

That being said, the grid markings on circuit are pretty faded and have various different types of markings be they from bikes or other configurations of car grids.

(I think I like Burnsie's idea the best )
Old 8 Nov 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2330631)   #34
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"You're giving the likes of Driftwood some real ammo to have a go at us 'Oirish' there."

Its really incredible to see this super class going from strength to strength, well done all & keep up the momentum.

Dont worry about old Driftwood, he just wants you all to pay for his beer when he comes over. I suspect he is of Irish extraction anyhow, saw a reference somewhere on here to him learning Gaelic at school. Fact is, if the racing is as good in 2009 with the new cars coming out, he wont be able to resist the trip.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 14:07 (Ref:2330636)   #35
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I agree with what you are saying, but it just is not possible. In an ideal world there would be twelve to sixteen "over two litre" cars and the same for two litre and under, two separate races and off we go. Splitting the grids was tried this year and didn't work because there just aren't enough cars. Period.

Ok point taken - so if there is to be such a performance difference between cars, this leaves little room for manoeuvre in enahancements you can do. 2007 was the best Libre year yet so a reversion to that format may be best.

The two races with lack of entries were non championship I think so perhaps not a fair reflection on the state of affairs?
Old 8 Nov 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2330700)   #36
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
The two races with lack of entries were non championship I think so perhaps not a fair reflection on the state of affairs?
I can see where you're coming from here, but IMO, Libre isn't really a class where folk race purely for championship points. There are plenty of guys hitting and missing rounds as time and finance allow.

Regarding the canceled race: This date was approved by the drivers at a meeting held in one of Mondello's hospitality suites. There were about 18 guys there, (show of hands and all that) yet when it came to the crunch, there were only 7 entries. Go figure...

Thats what I mean when I say that we need every single car we can get.

Indemnity: All opinions expressed are entirely my own and bear no resemblance whatsoever to those who organize/run Formula Libre
Old 10 Nov 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2332356)   #37
gixermark
Rookie

gixermark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I definately think there needs to be two races on a day to make it worth while for folk to travel/make it worth while..

Unless i am mistaken ? there is no class at the mondello meetings for 'normal' sports cars - radicals etc ? hence they have to race in libre where they are simply making up the numbers..

just my opinion - and its my first post here so be gentle I started racing up in k/town this year, and plan to race 'away' in '09 be that mondello or in UK (if i can get some ££) but to travel down for one libre race against $$$ cars isn't wholly appealing to be honest..

Mark.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2332362)   #38
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixermark
I definately think there needs to be two races on a day to make it worth while for folk to travel/make it worth while..

Unless i am mistaken ? there is no class at the mondello meetings for 'normal' sports cars - radicals etc ? hence they have to race in libre where they are simply making up the numbers..

just my opinion - and its my first post here so be gentle I started racing up in k/town this year, and plan to race 'away' in '09 be that mondello or in UK (if i can get some ££) but to travel down for one libre race against $$$ cars isn't wholly appealing to be honest..

Mark.
Hi Mark and welcome to Tenths.

You have a valid point re double headers being an incentive for people that have to travel some distance. Its worth noting that Radical/V de V type machinery are quite competitive in Libre as proven by Wayne Douglas, Jim H and Eric Holstein (who put on a fantastic display and won in the wet at the LTM).

I look forward to hopefully seeing you out in Libre next year

What type of car do you plan on bringing out?
Old 10 Nov 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2332393)   #39
gixermark
Rookie

gixermark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers Peter,

i guess what i'm saying is the radical club/pro sports that are 'just' within the graps of the joe bloggs club racer seem to be left with no competitive grid/championship in mondello - just my opinion of course.... Wayne and that £xxxxx Juno's is in a different league to most radicals.. and Jim's car is in a different league again..

I'm planning to race a prosport 1300 totally std car.. will be a learning year anyway.. but is always good to have the chance of a competitive grid - there are a couple of classes up north that u am eligible for - and plenty of series' in UK too...

the problem here is obviously the clubs trying to cater for everyone - and the low volume of competitors/cars will always be a factor... I'm definately keen to get out at mondello anyway - nice circuit....

Mark.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2332398)   #40
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixermark
I'm planning to race a prosport 1300 totally std car.. will be a learning year anyway.. but is always good to have the chance of a competitive grid - there are a couple of classes up north that u am eligible for - and plenty of series' in UK too...
Cool.
The nice thing about Libre is that there is nearly always someone to race against so you should be fine there. We get a few Radicals and also Formula 5's so there are a few bike engined yokes for you to play with!
Old 1 Dec 2008, 10:51 (Ref:2344808)   #41
stu3500
Rookie

stu3500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, Having read i write up in autosport about your race meeting in angelsey and seeing a hillclimb pilbeam racing it very much got me thinking that i would like to do the same! i had no idea that hillclimb single seaters would be eligible in any race series and was over the moon to find this one.
We have the ex john leinster Pilbeam Mp88 Judd and the ex david grace Mp58 DFR and i would very much like to take one of them racing. I just had a few questions i hoped you could help with?

1, How long do the races last for, and what is the layout of the day?
2, Outwith getting the car mechanically able to last more than 4 laps, is there any other saftey requirements etc needed to be eligible?
3, How long has the championship been running for and is it a safe bet that it will run for the forseeable future without dying out or restictions being put on the big cars?(there is not much point converting a car and the series ending after 09!)

Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Stewart
Old 1 Dec 2008, 16:11 (Ref:2344997)   #42
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Hi Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu3500
How long do the races last for, and what is the layout of the day?
Typically the races are 15mins, running on either the national or international circuit. In the past we have had one qualifying session in the morning and two races in the afternoon. This was reduced to one race in the afternoon for '08, but it would be nice if we could revert back to two races for 2009.
Quote:
Outwith getting the car mechanically able to last more than 4 laps, is there any other saftey requirements etc needed to be eligible?
Sylvie Mullins owns the Pilbeam that you mentioned in your post and AFAIK, the only mod he had to make was to fit a larger fuel tank. The safety stuff is pretty standard: 3" belts, plumbed AFFF etc, but you will need to fit a rain light.
Quote:
How long has the championship been running for and is it a safe bet that it will run for the forseeable future without dying out or restictions being put on the big cars?
I think that next year is the sixth(?) year of Libre and I for one can't see it disappearing for quite a while yet! I don't imagine that the over 2.0l cars will have any restrictions imposed as this would go against what Libre stands for ie a class for any single seaters.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2347175)   #43
stu3500
Rookie

stu3500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for the info peter! Currently looking into what needs to be done for the cars to last!

I'd do alot more work if i thought about motorsport less!!!

Stewart
Old 4 Dec 2008, 12:38 (Ref:2347204)   #44
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I'd do alot more work if i thought about motorsport less!!!

Stewart

What!!!! somone who lets motorsport interfere with their work!!! tut tut, we are shocked.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 01:45 (Ref:2359090)   #45
stealth1
Rookie

stealth1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2009 race dates as follows

April 12 Mondello National
May 10/11 Mondello International
May 30 Kirkistown
July 4/5 Anglesey
August 9/10 Phoenix Park
August 23 Mondello National
Sept 12/13 Mondello International

Ed
Old 20 Jan 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2375565)   #46
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1
2009 race dates as follows

April 12 Mondello National
May 10/11 Mondello International
May 30 Kirkistown
July 4/5 Anglesey
August 9/10 Phoenix Park
August 23 Mondello National
Sept 12/13 Mondello International

Ed
I assume you mean May 9/10 and August 8/9, but the Motorsport Ireland website doesn't list anything for May 9th...? I'm just trying to sort out my leave request for my of an employer! Definitely don't want to miss any Libre races!!

Old 21 Jan 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2375979)   #47
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is the Park on this year ?
Old 21 Jan 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2376008)   #48
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Allegedly. I've heard mention of the fact that fundraising activities are being examined in order to finance The Park.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2379559)   #49
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The park is still provisional at the minute.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2380342)   #50
Peter Dunne
Veteran

That may be so, but I know that Eamonn Ledwidge, Ann Stevens et al are working tirelessy to secure funding. Eamonn was telling me of some exciting plans for this years Park, so if sponsors can be found then it should be a cracker.

Its not over yet!!