Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 1 Jun 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2473509)   #26
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can confirm that interest for the CoB is high.
I have a few things up my sleeve to make it enjoyable for competitors and spectators alike.

Please contact me if you have any questions and/or have a car that you would like to have on-track during 2010.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2473618)   #27
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
what will the CoB be a 10 lap race? or something bit different?
Old 1 Jun 2009, 20:10 (Ref:2473632)   #28
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All sounds good, but maybe they could do a one off race for all ex formula ford 1600 champions from the 80's. Sounds as though there are enough "old" drivers around. A lot of these people are still involved in motor racing and commitments for doing a full championship would be to much. I for one would be intersted especially if using 80's cars. Maybe as support at festival or at Silverstone fford Walter Hayes trophy meeting.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2473649)   #29
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
A very underrated driver and had the dubious pleasure of being Michael Scumachers first victim at the festival in 1988, moved up to Vauxhall Lotus with some sucess in 1991 before funds ran dry. He now works at the family business restoring and maintaining Jaguars at Collier street Garage in rural Kent always happy for a chat about his racing days.
My Jaguar is one of those he looks after - I asked him about a COB comeback but he wasn't terribly enthusiastic, older and wiser I suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
1 Ox is a go kart he races

I used to race in Rotax Max endurance at Bayford against a Team Ox - is this the same guy? He used to do the full 90 mins on his own and was on the podium every time.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 22:11 (Ref:2473692)   #30
driftwood
Veteran

yes that is john made tank to max legal size to do full run/ less pitstops he weighs nowt so has the "unfair " advantage over most guys !!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2473976)   #31
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, we all ran to the same minimum weight, but I recall struggling with a 30kg lead seat insert when I swopped places with my teenage son! No parc ferme worries when I was behind the wheel tho!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2473984)   #32
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys...if we really want to get CoB back to where it was - and as this is a new start - then surely its time to look at bring Duratecs to the club racers. There is plenty of good second hand kit around for prices similar to a good kent car - and this will allow the local club racers to take on teh national guys at UKFF rounds plus of course the festival.

CoB was always a home for club racers and underfunded youngsters wanting to race at a good level and take on the national boys at their own game. Could JEB's arm be twisted to look at including a Duratec class if we could get say 10 runners together as part of the main series (ie what the SFFC was in later years).

Likewise, to equalise the pace a bit more - then make the rules that all Duratecs run on ACB10s (leave dampers/calipers as they are to make quick shift over to national spec etc etc). Maybe one of the engine bulders could provide an ECU to say 120hps for "club duratec" spec. I know this is old ground - but it would seem the new CoB would be great catalyst to do it.

I for one would be very interested in doing this - any others??
Old 2 Jun 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2474002)   #33
driftwood
Veteran

why try dragging duratecs into a kent series
go runa duratec in mono or 750 F4 or look at fitting kent motor
FF1600 is what CoB is about when it had zetecs in that was the thin edge of wedge that lead to its demise
there are enough kent cars around and to encourage older cars out we need to look at classes ie pre92? ( as oppossed to pre 90?) pre 86 - pre 80/classic FFord rule for pre rocker suspension
If CoB gets 25 cars in 3 classes then great
there are people who want to race regionally hence why OP and Combe have strong field of regulars
If CoB was to run duratec i will look to run my kent elsewhere
Old 2 Jun 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2474017)   #34
jimmyRF87
Rookie

United Kingdom
Fareham
jimmyRF87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bringing Duratecs into ff club racing is a terrible idea. I've never felt the need to post on hear before i read JNWRF01's statement. Not only would it not work,it would make it harder (well impossible for myself) for the majority of drivers that are on a small budget, and it would divide formula ford club racing into two catogries, just ending up with two smaller grids intead of the huge grids they are getting today, which could cause lack of interest in the future.; But more likely i doubt there'd be much interest in that to take off.

Anyway, CoB would be fantastic idea, would definately be up for driving in it!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2474089)   #35
driftwood
Veteran

jimmy where are you running yr RF87 today?
Old 2 Jun 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2474130)   #36
jimmyRF87
Rookie

United Kingdom
Fareham
jimmyRF87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dwiftwood - I hope to be running in Castle Combe, once i've sorted out a few problems with it, and then got myself up to speed (could take a while).
Old 2 Jun 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2474223)   #37
FFmygale
Racer

England
UK
FFmygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
why try dragging duratecs into a kent series
go runa duratec in mono or 750 F4 or look at fitting kent motor
FF1600 is what CoB is about when it had zetecs in that was the thin edge of wedge that lead to its demise
there are people who want to race regionally hence why OP and Combe have strong field of regulars
If CoB was to run duratec i will look to run my kent elsewhere

Driftwood - I agree with some of what you say - whilst I also think other bits remind me of a load of old tripe!

Having raced in SFFC (which is what COB became) in both kent and Zetec form I can see the pluses and minuses from both sides. As a kent driver I was always frustrated at being a 'B' class to the quicker 'A'class cars (ie. Zetecs would always be at the front hence even if you were the lead kent car you never really felt that you were leading / winning the race. Surprisingly that was a pretty important part! I therefore agree that COB should, if numbers are sufficient, be for kents in one class on their own.

Where I disagree with you is with what killed COB previously. It was NOT the introduction of Zetecs. Take a look at the entries in both kent and Zetec classes in the first couple of years after Zetecs were introduced (when it was held at Brands mainly and Lydden) - entry numbers only declined when some bright sparks suggested that we should become the SFFC championship visiting Brands, Lydden, Donington, Snetterton and Combe. I always argued to keep it at 1 or 2 circuits only but it always feel on deaf ears.

However - a separate discussion should be about whether there is a demand for club level duratec racing. Personally I would love to race in Duratecs but can't justify the time away from family, work (okay, when I actually have a job that is!), and the expense required to run near the front of a multi venue championship. However, if there were a single venue club level duratec series then I would certainly be interested. Part of the interest for the clubman in racing Zetecs was to race in modern day machinery, in comparable equipment to the national teams and be able to compare yourself against, or compete with on the odd occasion, the national racers. Racing a Duratec in F4 or Mono is clearly not an option therefore for the many racers out there who enjoy this type of challenge.

JNWRF01 - I'm partially with you. Leave kents as they are but yes I would think that in the 5th year of Duratecs there must be enough cars out there for a clubman series???
Old 2 Jun 2009, 19:47 (Ref:2474250)   #38
driftwood
Veteran

how many more racing series shall we instigate in the UK?

ther is no need for any more series heaps of places to run cars why have another single seater series with 10 cars running
there was a chance to run club level zetecs but it didnt last long hence why cars flow into mono F4 sprint hillclmbing
Kent fford has mass appeal plenty of cars around all it needs is a structured class to encourage guys to run lola 644 cars along with reynard 87/9 VD 86/9 91 99/2k swift 88-92 cars
there is already a popular and FVM classic series and pre historic pre 72 series for those who want to spend lots of money on a car!

the aim here is to get a CoB series running that can hold a candle to OP coombe and when the festival comes along some more cars to boost the qtr & semi final races
FORD dont want kents at the F Ford festival but its a numbers game zetecs never cut the mustard with other countries and duratec is UK only in EEC
If someone wanted a cheap formula race car to test day drive the zetec FFord is the car to buy
IF CoB needs more bums in seatsa nd i say it thru gritted teeth maybe the zetec formula car on treaded tyres would be logical class to add in IF CoB needs more entry fee income to warrant the races
im now off to wash my mouth out !

ps IF Brands can warrant running a second series then zetecs and duratecs may get a run but lets keep Kent for 711M block motors and have some fun
Old 3 Jun 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2474532)   #39
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trouble is how do you start a new club championship where the cars and engines are more expensive than the current FF1600?

You won't get many FF1600s to support a mixed COB. I'd loved to race a Duratec with a cheap ecu and exhaust system (like the S2000) on ACB10s.

The time to think about this is surely after the chassis changes are made in FFDuratec and there are alot of redundant cars.

If James get Palmers backing with MSVR running say 6-8 double headers at Brands it will be a great success like Combe.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 3 Jun 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2474589)   #40
A Quartermaine
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ascot, Berkshire
A Quartermaine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champion of Brands for this year or next sounds great and I will support all I can. Having experienced my third kent engine failiure in recent weeks I'd be pleased to skip the 60's motor in favour of a modern alternative!
Old 3 Jun 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2474592)   #41
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I ask you all not to confuse the issue here and muddy the waters.
Great progress is being made towards my CoB for 2010 and I will release details when I can.

This series will be aimed at competitors who wish to race at one venue only on a semi-regular basis. The series will allow drivers of all ages of car to race together.

Can I again thank those who have contacted me regarding this and as you may have seen in MN last week, I plan a similar series at Mallory next year as well.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 13:53 (Ref:2474720)   #42
driftwood
Veteran

I ask you all not to confuse the issue here and muddy the waters.well said JEB

This series will be aimed at competitors who wish to race at one venue only on a semi-regular basis. saves buying satnav to find circuits hotels buy ratios and most guys can be home in time frm races to watch britains got talent Xfactor Dr who or catch their best mate with their wife
The series will allow drivers of all ages of car to race together.I am sure you will fill grids and John can race his dad ( im sure he will still beat him! )
Old 4 Jun 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2475167)   #43
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James - would you be interested in organising say 3 duratec rounds at Brands next year to say "club duratec" rules (ie current cars on steel wheels and ACB10s) just to see what sort of demand there is for club duratec racing?

I understand there is demand for the kent classes - but likewise, I think there is also demand for a modern engined version of current FF1600 rules (certainly there seemed to be plenty of interest at WHT last year). I would be happy to enter a car to current duratec format - but running on ACB10s - and a believe a few others that post on here would - which allows me to run in modern UKFF and also race in a single venue CoB series.

Am I flogging a dead horse here - or would there be others interested in a mini-CoB series to see what demand there is??
Old 4 Jun 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2475180)   #44
driftwood
Veteran

the problem is JWR is that there are so man formula sof racing it is nigh on impossible toget new seresi going and fiond space on calenders and you need 15 cars plus to warrant it
i do not beleve the interest IS there t run thes ecars at club level zetec never took off
Kent is so strong and established it becomes a no brainer
stand outsiode teh box
yr 22 years old and u wanna race
you ask some giys what can you race for £5-10k purchase price cut me teehth on most folk will say go race fford 1600 as somewhere in teh UK there is a meeting every weekend or fortnight u can run in plus you can guest appear in Libre mono F4 events if you get a race locally
Old 4 Jun 2009, 11:05 (Ref:2475274)   #45
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevan, You can't run a FF1600 in F4.

Jez I'd be up for a Duratec on ACB10s don't think time is right just yet though.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 4 Jun 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2475349)   #46
driftwood
Veteran

enter it as a 2 litre zetec add a wiing on the back!
Old 24 Jun 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2490066)   #47
GraveltrapNigel
Rookie

Thailand
London
GraveltrapNigel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CoB

I'll definitely be up for this, and I know a couple more guys who also want to get out again.

I could never understand why we lost the Brands championship when we're so close to London, where there's a lot of money about, and loads of guys with cars sitting in garages, whilst FF continued to flourish locally up North..

Can't wait to qualify top ten and wade through the gravel at Paddock after the start..seriously though I'm gonna be quick now cos the mortgage is paid off!

JP has transformed Brands, and we now need CoB back to complete the picture.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2490078)   #48
driftwood
Veteran

hells bells tast all we need a lunatic FFord racer with no mortgage !!
that is akin to F1 when Senna got all religious drivers started to get worried!
Old 24 Jun 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2490097)   #49
GraveltrapNigel
Rookie

Thailand
London
GraveltrapNigel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CoB

Quote:
hells bells tast all we need a lunatic FFord racer with no mortgage !!
that is akin to F1 when Senna got all religious drivers started to get worried!
No doubt, last times I was out the circuit and the cars were still a bit risky. But having spent the last 15 years observing, I reckon there's little risk now. That's worth 0.5 at least.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 07:30 (Ref:2490251)   #50
driftwood
Veteran

and someone punted into the gravel trap!!
ther will be me thinking shall i out brake him now or later- no wait mortgage to be paid next week lets wait till lap 10 - oh shoot he has won again DAMN that bloody mortgage! ( even if it is on a tracker rate !)