Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2001, 20:35 (Ref:145420)   #26
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would be good. The only time that i can remember a period of respectful silence before a GP was the monaco GP in '94 after the deaths of Senna and Ratzenburger. There may be others that i'm not aware of and i feel that that would be appropriate in this case especially when you see the way the world has reacted in shock.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 20:44 (Ref:145430)   #27
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too believe that the world should continue in the day to day events planned before this tragedy, cancelling events just gives terrorists more fuel to try something like this again. As for holding a minutes silence, it is the least they could do and would be a welcome gesture IMO
Old 12 Sep 2001, 20:47 (Ref:145433)   #28
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
The only time that i can remember a period of respectful silence before a GP was the monaco GP in '94 after the deaths of Senna and Ratzenburger. There may be others that i'm not aware of
Damon Hill organised a minute's silence before the 1997 Italian GP in memory of Princess Diana when she was killed. Bernie Ecclestone refused to organise it, but by the time the minute was up he was standing at Damon's side.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 20:58 (Ref:145447)   #29
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks RG i wasn't aware of that although i have to say i would've been surprised if no one had done anything about it.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 00:45 (Ref:145503)   #30
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Be sure some kind of ceremony will take place at Monza.

I still can't believe it.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 03:33 (Ref:145514)   #31
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is still hard to believe.... Two of the largest buildings on earth...gone.

I am very happy that both races go forward. To me, cancelling the races would be giving into the terrorist. That would be what they want.

I am sure that they can think of a small ceremony before the start of the race in memorium of those that were lost.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 03:33 (Ref:145515)   #32
fastracer
Racer

United States
Irvine, California, USA
fastracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let me just say that I'm going to Indy, but right now I'm not in the mood for F1 and as of now I'm not really excited to be going.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 14:41 (Ref:145619)   #33
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel the Italian Grand Prix should be run, even as a spirit raiser for people.

As for the US GP, i feel it should be postponed to after the Japanese Grand Prix, as a mark or respect to everyone who has lost their life in this tragedy.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 17:13 (Ref:145679)   #34
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
It is still hard to believe.... Two of the largest buildings on earth...gone.
Sorry ? Did I misunderstand you or are you only concerned at the loss of two poxy buildings ?!

As i've said elsewhere, I believe that these events should go ahead as a defiant gesture to these terrorists - they must not be seen to gain any advantage from their evil actions.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 18:33 (Ref:145720)   #35
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do agree that the races should go on. Terrorism should not bring everthing to a halt all over the world. The drivers may not go through the usual celebrations on the podium etc - but thats about it. Cancelling the race just doesent make sense to me.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 19:01 (Ref:145723)   #36
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...besides, we could all use a little distraction and entertainment right now. I too hope the races will go on.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 19:05 (Ref:145724)   #37
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little bro:
Quote:
"It is a bad joke intending going to the US and racing there. I don't think it is safe and I, for sure, will not take my family and friends."
Ralf also spoke out against the decision of Bernie Ecclestone to head to America for the Grand Prix there at the end of the month. "Bernie is recommending we should race there," said Schumacher. "I will be anxious to see if he turns up. We shouldn't even be here."
You would think the guy is concerned for the victims but he just seems to be to affraid of everything. What is safe in life?
Old 13 Sep 2001, 19:07 (Ref:145725)   #38
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Distraction is the word. We need that now. I know I certainly do. As unimportant as motor racing seems at a time like this, we need to think of other things beside tragedy. To see that things still go on is very important now. Therefore I think it would be correct to run all remaining races of the calendar, including Indy.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 19:08 (Ref:145726)   #39
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf not going???

From Atlas F1: "It's a bad joke intending to race in the United States," the Williams driver told a German radio reporter at the Italian Grand Prix on Thursday. "I don't think it's safe and I will for sure not take my family and friends." I hope Ralf rethinks his position.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 19:15 (Ref:145728)   #40
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by R
Distraction is the word. We need that now. I know I certainly do. As unimportant as motor racing seems at a time like this, we need to think of other things beside tragedy. To see that things still go on is very important now. Therefore I think it would be correct to run all remaining races of the calendar, including Indy.
I totaly agree...What the terrorists want is to cause more unrest and panic all over the world, this is not just an American disaster..This is a global situation..
Old 13 Sep 2001, 19:15 (Ref:145729)   #41
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
You would think the guy is concerned for the victims but he just seems to be to affraid of everything.
Oh, for heaven's sake...Ralf is concerned that it won't be safe in America and why that is a problem for you I do not know. You condemned him for voicing his fears about Spa being dangerous then a few days later a driver was nearly killed there - you went suspiciously quiet on that subject after that, I noticed.

Do you really think that right now is the time to be slating a driver because he is concerned about the safety of his loved ones? Ralf stated that he won't be taking family or friends to America because he's not sure it's safe - what is your problem? I am sick to the back teeth of reading your posts doing nothing but criticising Ralf when he hasn't done anything to deserve criticism. To be quite honest, it sickens me that you can't see his point of view.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 19:59 (Ref:145754)   #42
eatapc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
I am sick to the back teeth of reading your posts doing nothing but criticizing Ralf when he hasn't done anything to deserve criticism. To be quite honest, it sickens me that you can't see his point of view.
I understand his point of view -- my wife is supposed to fly to Vancouver next Tuesday, and she isn't too happy about it. I just hope that next week, when the picture is clearer concerning the safety of air travel, he reconsiders.

The likelihood of an attack on Indianapolis is very remote. (Of course, recent events make anything seem possible.) If there is to be another terrorist attack, I think it will be on a major US city or international capital, and I don't think it will come from another hijacked plane. I empathize with Ralf's safety concerns, but the fact is that the F1 circus is in relatively little danger in Indianapolis. Again, by the end of next week when he has to either fly to the US or stay put, the picture will be clearer.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 20:24 (Ref:145772)   #43
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Of course the chance of an attack on Indianpolis is remote, but Ralf's concern is still a perfectly valid one. Clearly BBKing can't see that.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 20:41 (Ref:145779)   #44
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anything now related to planes, events, media attention, sounds dangerous... we see now that anything can happen, and the security levels must be re-evaluated. So I would expect anyone to be concerned about this now.

In the other hand, I think to our emotional balance that the races must be kept as scheduled. Just let's hope that the people who really are involved in the security for these events had a balanced mind and not make any mistakes...
Old 13 Sep 2001, 21:17 (Ref:145798)   #45
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
Of course the chance of an attack on Indianpolis is remote, but Ralf's concern is still a perfectly valid one. Clearly BBKing can't see that.
I don’t know how I am going to react next Saturday when I have to flight to Toronto. I am probably going to be concerned about it. Is that going to stop me from doing it? No. Why? Because that is exactly what terrorists want me to and I am not chicken **** to let them get away with what they want.

I am going to Indy myself. Why would I be concerned about it being in danger? What if it does? You cannot run from your destiny. It is going to happen does not matter what. Enjoy it while you are alive.

Little bro travels in a private jet, why is he so worry about? Not even DC who was in a plane crash is saying anything about it. To be afraid of flying now would be equivalent to buying a lottery ticket just because somebody won? What is the likelihood of this thing happening again? Next to cero I would say. Once the element of surprise has gone they don’t stand a chance to take over another plane with utility knifes.

If there was a reason why the Indy GP should be cancelled or postponed, it should be because of sympathy to the victims. Not like in little bro’s case. Pure selfishness. Everyone plays a role in society and if little bro gets paid a lot of money is because he has a duty towards the rest of the world. If he feels is too much for him he should just shut up and let his boss know he wont be able to do it.

Burti’s accident has nothing to do with Spa being particularly dangerous. Racing in dangerous. The accident happen because two guys were involved in an incident that could have been prevented. Nothing inherent to the track caused it.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 00:37 (Ref:145876)   #46
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm...after reading Ralf's words from ITV, i would say that my stand on this is between Ralf's girl and BBK.

Sure, its not wrong for Ralf to be concerned about himself and his family. But from BBK's point of view, which came into my mind initially after reading the report, is that Ralf seemed more concerned about himself than anything ie sorry for the victims, their friends and the safety of the viewers of F1 that day...

Perhaps it wasnt intentional, but just a bad way of handling matters...but as quoted from BBK, Ralf seems to be just "chickened" by what happened. He seem to react the exact way those disgusting terrorists wanted people to react. And what he said about "We shouldn’t even be here." and "Bernie is recommending we should race there,...I will be anxious to see if he turns up." are insensitive in a way. First, just because US is in trouble, he just turns away and avoid it, when at this time, the Good people should stand united against a common evil. 2nd, at this time, its not correct to challenge people and cause even more unhappiness with people on your side ie Bernie.

Michael's quote on the same matter is much better in this regard if you ask me (sorry, its not biased, but in the article...there's only Michael's and Ralfs quote in detail...so i just use them for comparison).

= Elder brother Michael refused to condemn the decision to go ahead with the races. But he said his thoughts were with the victims and their families.

He said: "It is pretty difficult to find the right expression for what has happened and what we feel. What we all do feel is pretty much the same and our sympathy is naturally with them - and we support them as much as we can.

"It’s a tough time but we have to look forward and hope things improve for the better and we keep learning and improving things to prevent this happening again."

You have to agree that what he said is more society minded and appropriate to the situation than Ralf's agressive, distrusting interview.

The race in US is 2 weeks from now, which i believe is the appropriate time for the US GP for US to display their strength as a nation after the disaster and the mourning. Many times in history, sporting events were used after disasters in USA ie Kennedy's assasination, to improve the moral and confidence of its people, and for this reason, i believe the US GP should be carried on. We have mourned the deaths and showed our respect. The US GP is not a celebration or a party, but a event that bonds the Americans together again, the start of rebuilding their nation.

By the way, Ferrari would be running their cars without sponsors but pure red as a mark of respect and to participate the race with a sporting event in mind instead of a commercial event. Hope all the teams would do the same, and that all trackside adverts are removed.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 01:09 (Ref:145880)   #47
eatapc
Veteran

Very well put, Gt R. As someone who lost a neighbor and good friend in the World Trade Center -- and who very much needs the distraction of the US GP -- I can forgive Ralf his seemingly inconsiderate remarks. He may have been quoted out of context, and he certainly wasn't thinking about the effect of his words in the media, but it's hard to choose one's words carefully all the time.

I'll be at Indy, and I suppose I would be offended if Ralf is not there, but I'll get over it. I have more important things to worry about than whether Ralf drives or not. Again, I trust he will reconsider, and perhaps clarify his thoughts in an interview this weekend.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 01:29 (Ref:145886)   #48
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone is saying that by running or not running the Italain or US GP will show the terrorists something, but i am not so sure, their problems are not with Sport.

If it was, then the attack would have happened during the US Open, as it only finished on Monday, or during a major sporting event in the US, and the GP is only 3 weeks away.

I still believe that the race should be postponed till after the Japanese GP though.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 01:56 (Ref:145894)   #49
eatapc
Veteran

Mayor Giuiliani has encouraged New Yorkers to get back to business, go shopping, go out to a restaurant. Broadway has re-opened -- after a dimming of lights and a respectful moment of silence and sorrow. "The Producers" is being played out on stage right now as I write. People in New York need a little laughter in their lives -- and I could use a little racing in two weeks.

However, if air traffic in the US remains threatened over the next few days, then I'm all for postponing or even canceling the US GP, no ifs ands or buts. I don't want to endanger F1 people.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 02:23 (Ref:145901)   #50
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The terrorists are not into sports...most probably... so Ralf's worries are trinkling on the edge of being paranoid. In fact, i doubt that Osama knows who Ralf Schumacher is!

The terrorist attacks are only on very significant political and commercial institution. And Indianopolis is much safer than White House and Pentagon. People have went back to pentagon...so why not to indiapolis?

And to carry out F1 is not to show terrorist anything. But the idea of F1 and other sports being carried out is to boost the moral of the Americans and to take their mind of the depressing incident. To bring their lives back to what used to be, and sports is just one of the many factors. In fact, sports goes one better to bring people to cheer together, however muted, and that is important for Americans to pull together again before the retaliation begins...

To the terrorists (if they ever read this forum): YOU STINKinG waste of the human population who creates nothing but trouble, your existence is totally useless and if you dare, sit around and wait for your a-SS to be slaPPed!