Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Sep 2019, 18:11 (Ref:3928376)   #126
hanuman
Rookie

hanuman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
Alfa P3 with a roll bar??

Yes, clocked that and thought: "Oh no, they'll all have one in a few year's time." Really effing horrible sight.

Some grids get better (Sussex Trophy was superb) some less so (the TT is noticeably lacking in Ferraris, Astons etc.)

Watched the Sussex Trophy at St. Mary's and Sam Hancock in the Ferrari was absolutely superb, close but not quite on the limit very time.

Goodwood Trophy slightly disappointing...a little lacking in competition at the sharp end.
Old 16 Sep 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3928378)   #127
hanuman
Rookie

hanuman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
How can they disqualify people
As someone said this morning in the words of that other great fifties icon
Conway Twitty. “It’s Only Make Believe”

The two Yank Tanks never raced at Goodwood nor anywhere in Europe and since when has a A35/40 had a 1275 plus engine.

It’s a show biz operation not an exact re-enactment of history
Maybe seeings not believing but it’s great entertainment as long as you don’t take it to seriously!

Has historic racing ever been an exact re-enactment? The grids in 1960s/70s VSCC races were far less 'accurate' than the current Goodwood ones. The JCB and Lloyds and Scottish championships combined sports racing and grand prix cars. It's a sport as much as entertainment and certainly not a museum even if the principle interest might be in old cars...
Old 16 Sep 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3928394)   #128
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
As i drove down to Goodwood Thursday morning all doom and gloom as this was just going to be another four days of racing with winging and moaning drivers. Rolled into the circuit and my enthusiasm came alive again and I did enjoy the weekend even though I did not have a drive. Caught up with lots of mates and of coarse nothing in this motor racing world can top paddock full of 500 F3 cars with their eccentric drivers mechanics owners all of whom are just such lovely people and its a delight to be part of their community.At this point I must tell that our very own Stuart Wright who has never driven Goodwood put his Cooper P3 on the grid. Sadly he was a DNF in the race but such a brilliant effort well done Stu.
Chuffed to bits for Sam Hancock. Driver of the weekend winner and well deserved. I have known Sam since he was a lad as I have raced against his Dad Tony since the late 70's. Sam has worked hard and driven at Le Mans. I overheard several people saying how much they enjoyed watching his car control. He is also a top commentator and why Sky have not snapped him up yet I do not know.
I just wish I had made an effort to get the Westminster entered now as there were not any in the St Mary's race. My car is legal as well.It was good to catch up with HRTR5 as his son Freddie did a fantastic job in his J40. That grid just gets bigger and bigger. BTW the cars are now scrutineer-ed as there have been some discrepancies with people tuning the pedal angles. What ever next. The sun shone and it was a lovely weekend. Last word, poor Uncle Eric came along to look at all the Lotus Cortina's. Hmmm wrong year sorry Eric.
Old 16 Sep 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3928410)   #129
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of random batches, all photos from Friday:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0491.jpg   IMG_0711.jpg   IMG_0770.jpg  

IMG_1199.jpg   IMG_1289.jpg   IMG_1346.jpg  

Old 16 Sep 2019, 21:35 (Ref:3928411)   #130
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
a second batch, there is a gallery of many more here https://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p872338511
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1647.jpg   IMG_1763.jpg   IMG_1905.jpg  

IMG_2285.jpg   IMG_2531.jpg   IMG_2702.jpg  

Old 16 Sep 2019, 22:32 (Ref:3928418)   #131
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhh the ferraris. Just fabulous

Thanks for pics.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 16:20 (Ref:3928548)   #132
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a great weekend, even if my only involvement on track was with my son's pedal car! Thought it was probably the best Revival ever, helped no end by the weather of course.

Sad the flying is curtailed to such an extent, but outside of Goodwood's control. Sometimes I don't 'get' the track displays, but I actually found the D-Day parade and The Duke's speech to be quite moving and more than appropriate.

On track I thought St Mary's Part 2 was one of the best races I've seen, disappointed with the disqualifications, particularly Grant William's Jag - I don't know what the indiscretion was in their case, the car was not disqualified on Saturday ... Grant is always great to watch, and is a good chap, his win was very popular with the spectators! I find myself a bit conflicted over this debacle .... in all sport I want a level playing field and adherence to rules written (and ideally unwritten ethos too), but the St Mary's is theatre, and I'm happy to simply enjoy a really great race even if the cars may not be exactly to the spec they would have to run to in a Championship. Difficult to reconcile all that! I would think Justin Law would have been a bit peeved to have been unashamedly nerfed off by an A40 ... I'd like to think a visit to the Clerk was required ....

Sam Hancock was great in the Ferrari, I was lucky enough to be at exit of Madgwick for quali, and was with a non-petrolhead friend who had never been to Goodwood, nor ever seen a car driven like that ... he was astonished! That car has always been well hustled, I recall both Pete Hardman and Tony Dron performing similar heroics in it.

Although I've not yet seen his race, I was delighted that chum Robert Barrie took his maiden Goodwood win. Well played Sir.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 19:45 (Ref:3928570)   #133
Rob Pennington
Rookie

Rob Pennington should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of random batches, all photos from Friday

Hi can I repost the TVR PG1 on the TVR Grantura facebook group.

Thank you

Rob
Old 18 Sep 2019, 07:24 (Ref:3928635)   #134
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Watched the coverage I recorded on ITV yesterday. Great TT race, nice to have a NASCAR legend in the box. Showed all the other races pretty much in short form. Wonder what they will show on the highlight shows on ITV4?
Old 18 Sep 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3928698)   #135
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Watched the coverage I recorded on ITV yesterday. Great TT race, nice to have a NASCAR legend in the box. Showed all the other races pretty much in short form. Wonder what they will show on the highlight shows on ITV4?
A lot of people in fancy dress, some aeroplanes, grid girls beautifully attired, winning drivers receiving their cigar, parades, and if you’re lucky, bit of the races in between.....
Old 19 Sep 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3928891)   #136
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is fair to say I've not been on 10/10 for quite some time but I thought I'd check in here today after a most enjoyable Revival. I was blown away to receive a message this morning from Autosport legend and commentator extraordinaire Marcus Pye to say I was on the cover of Autosport.

What a privilege to race door-handle to door-handle in an incredibly tough and closely fought battle with good friends. No contact, no paint traded, but absolutely no quarter given either. Just incredibly tight and competitive racing.

A lovely part of the story is that it was 61 years to the day on Friday since countryman and hero Bruce McLaren and Syd Jensen raced the Coombs Racing Organisation Lotus 15 Chassis 609 at Goodwood in the News of the World RAC Tourist Trophy Race on 13 September 1958. And today, the same car appears on the cover of Autosport just shy of 61 years since it was last on the cover of Autosport having won at Oulton Park driven by Roy Salvadori on 20 September 1958 - 61 years tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Autosport Cover.jpg   s-l1600.jpg  
Old 19 Sep 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3928892)   #137
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I watched that on TV, was a great race and well done to all three of you. Congrats on your "cover" too.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3928906)   #138
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a fantastic souvenir. Well done

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Sep 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3928909)   #139
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Great result and great story, Roger! Thanks for posting.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 16:09 (Ref:3928914)   #140
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Enjoyed the free live streaming too. Do you know what happened to the nice and fast Giulietta? The driving level is very high, any grid imo.

Won the first race (with Pirro driving) after the Studebaker was DQ'd for non-compliant engine, but retired from second race (Dickie Dearden driving) when in with a good chance of a win with gear linkage failure, according to a post on the AROC Facebook page.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3928921)   #141
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Fantastic story and driving from rogerwills with a nice happy end. Congratulations.
Thanks Richard, did you see the fabulous start from Pirro? What a 0 to 80 mph he did! I guess its an "official" car - Suderia del Portello, spiting fire before every corner. From your huge Alfa knowledge, was gear linkage on the floor or on the steering column? Anyway its a good thing that all the grids are moving to fully compliant know.
Cant imagine a double-declutch with a 203 or a… Simca! What about this one, Mike?
Old 19 Sep 2019, 19:10 (Ref:3928949)   #142
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Won the first race (with Pirro driving) after the Studebaker was DQ'd for non-compliant engine, but retired from second race (Dickie Dearden driving) when in with a good chance of a win with gear linkage failure, according to a post on the AROC Facebook page.
Do you mean Richard Meadon? If so the Alfa belongs to Geoff Gordon, who now has a Gp2 Sud Sprint as well. Bit of an Alfa fan! If it’s the same car I’ve seen before it was ‘specced’ especially for the St Mary’s Trophy a few years ago....
Old 19 Sep 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3928962)   #143
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Nice to have you back posting Roger. Fantastic drive and well deserved with Autosport.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3928967)   #144
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Roger
Do you have copy of original magazine?
May have spare
Old 20 Sep 2019, 10:49 (Ref:3929058)   #145
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Roger, it was a great race, a brilliant result and a wonderful historic connection to boot!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 20 Sep 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3929115)   #146
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Do you mean Richard Meadon? If so the Alfa belongs to Geoff Gordon, who now has a Gp2 Sud Sprint as well. Bit of an Alfa fan! If it’s the same car I’ve seen before it was ‘specced’ especially for the St Mary’s Trophy a few years ago....

Apologies, Mike, of course I mean Meadon - or Ricciardo Meadioca as the signwriting on the car says - and yes its Geoff's - and his Sprint is gorgeous too!

Gerard - its a floor mounted change - there's a few bits of in car video on this Youtube clip - and if you don't close your eyes as he goes between the two Yanks......I'd be surprised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MK2l-h0F_I
Old 20 Sep 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3929121)   #147
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
It is fair to say I've not been on 10/10 for quite some time but I thought I'd check in here today after a most enjoyable Revival. I was blown away to receive a message this morning from Autosport legend and commentator extraordinaire Marcus Pye to say I was on the cover of Autosport.

What a privilege to race door-handle to door-handle in an incredibly tough and closely fought battle with good friends. No contact, no paint traded, but absolutely no quarter given either. Just incredibly tight and competitive racing.

A lovely part of the story is that it was 61 years to the day on Friday since countryman and hero Bruce McLaren and Syd Jensen raced the Coombs Racing Organisation Lotus 15 Chassis 609 at Goodwood in the News of the World RAC Tourist Trophy Race on 13 September 1958. And today, the same car appears on the cover of Autosport just shy of 61 years since it was last on the cover of Autosport having won at Oulton Park driven by Roy Salvadori on 20 September 1958 - 61 years tomorrow.
It was a great race Roger, and of course the best car won (but then I am a little bit biased!). Just goes to prove the racing can be exciting and clean.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 20:08 (Ref:3929142)   #148
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know if it was part 2 of the Goodwood coverage that I've just watched on ITV4, but it was rather good. Plenty of racing and not much "lifestyle".

I hope it was part 2 and I can find part 1 because it didn't feature Roger.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 24 Sep 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3929856)   #149
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Freddie March Memorial Trophy gallery here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHfhsmE
Old 24 Sep 2019, 10:57 (Ref:3929861)   #150
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And now - the Whitsun Trophy - https://www.flickr.com/gp/dwh38/81mU8E