Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Dec 2020, 04:26 (Ref:4025973)   #2351
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the problem is that given the 40 odd years of being Europe centric, our big businesses have forgotten what the wider world looks like, so everything is a barrier. In fact the problems of traceability and origin when exporting can all be rolled up into a single bar code which any customs organisation can scam on arrival. As to financial services, there are challenges but I'm not sure they represent the problems that some elements are suggesting.

Remember, the alternative was no deal so getting this across the line was an achievement. And of course the only reason we are here now is because some people refused to accept a vote.

Accepting that we will have a bumpy ride for a while, even economists are now suggesting it was a good thing.

The HoL cannot stop any legislation, see the Parliament Act 1948. So, whether they get to read a bill or not is orrelevant.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 07:58 (Ref:4025980)   #2352
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
The difference being she couldn't sell it to the people or the HoC whereas Boris can and has. Plus he's an order of magnitude smarter than her; and still has that innate ability to find and put a team of really good able people around him as he did when London Mayor. What on earth was May doing with Ollie Robbins as chief negotiator?
Quite, the EU likes to think it knows its opponent and acts accordingly. They knew May was a remainer who sent a europhile to negotitate with them who had little support in Parliamne that she weakend with her disaster of an en election gamble.

They thought Boris would be a blusterer who would fudge it, the EU only realised late in the day that the UK was serious and it was looking like no deal, so the pragmatic UVDL with Merkel's backing (I imagine) allegedly sidelined Barnier to get a deal over the line. Barnier, egged on by Macron believed that in the event of no deal, we would be back in matter of months and accept event less.

So in summary, the EU won against May because they knew they had a weak opponent, unconvinced by what she as seeking. They didn't dominate Boris as they (IMO) misjudged him and his team and the UK's resolve.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 08:03 (Ref:4025981)   #2353
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
May is of course extremely bitter & twisted & being more than a little fanciful.
And sadly going to be the new 'Ted Heath' and sit on the back benches sniping until she retires. Personally, I think that when PM's resign, they should give up their seat too, having an ex-PM on the back benches is not helpfull.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 08:19 (Ref:4025984)   #2354
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Quite, the EU likes to think it knows its opponent and acts accordingly. They knew May was a remainer who sent a europhile to negotitate with them who had little support in Parliamne that she weakend with her disaster of an en election gamble.

They thought Boris would be a blusterer who would fudge it, the EU only realised late in the day that the UK was serious and it was looking like no deal, so the pragmatic UVDL with Merkel's backing (I imagine) allegedly sidelined Barnier to get a deal over the line. Barnier, egged on by Macron believed that in the event of no deal, we would be back in matter of months and accept event less.

So in summary, the EU won against May because they knew they had a weak opponent, unconvinced by what she as seeking. They didn't dominate Boris as they (IMO) misjudged him and his team and the UK's resolve.
I couldn't have put it better myself! Too many people under-estimate Boris at their peril. Similarly, I think UVDL also has a bit of personality & they quickly understood each other. Complete contrast to Barnier...
Old 31 Dec 2020, 09:46 (Ref:4026009)   #2355
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
To be understood Barnier needs to learn a french word: travail! Would his teacher belong to any union here, guess it will take a while…

Someone was looking for this? https://www.thelocal.no/20201229/nor...l-than-the-eea
Old 31 Dec 2020, 10:35 (Ref:4026020)   #2356
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
To be understood Barnier needs to learn a french word: travail! Would his teacher belong to any union here, guess it will take a while…

Someone was looking for this? https://www.thelocal.no/20201229/nor...l-than-the-eea
that's the one - thanks Gerry
Old 31 Dec 2020, 18:15 (Ref:4026113)   #2357
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never really doubted for a moment that there would be a deal, and I also never doubted that it would come at the twelfth hour.

If we look at it logically, there would be no winners without a deal: there's no way the French and the Germans were going to allow a situation where all of their cars, wines, etc were suddenly 20% dearer here - just as all of the British companies which sell in the EU were not going accept their goods being 20% dearer over there. It's a no brainer when you look at it logically - both sides win with a sensible deal, both sides lose without one, so it was always going to get across the line in some form or another.

But were are talking about politicians, so there was always going to be some bravado and posturing, with no one wanting to be seen to give too much away. The argument over fishing rights was simply a red herring I reckon (sorry!), as surely no one in their right mind was going to walk away from an otherwise acceptable deal over something that accounts for a tiny fraction of their GDP? 0.2% I think I read somewhere? But it gave them something to argue over until the last minute, and also allowed each side to claim some sort of victory over it so as to not lose face too much, which I suspect is what most of this has really been about.

Had Barnier still been involved, then maybe it would have been different, as he's just possibly arrogant enough to cut off his own nose to spite his face. But Von Der Leyen (sp?) seems to me a much more pragmatic character, and I think once she and Boris got together, a way forward soon presented itself.

The rest was stage-managed theatre!
Old 31 Dec 2020, 20:14 (Ref:4026140)   #2358
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
The rest was stage-managed theatre!
I think the important thing is that your voices have been heard. You showed the right way many other countries will follow just because what seemed a rather fair deal ten years ago can't work now. Not to mention the costs involved by Brussels for a poor, if not worse, result.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 23:09 (Ref:4026169)   #2359
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just popping out to lower the eu flag ☹
Old 1 Jan 2021, 07:48 (Ref:4026210)   #2360
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The government have finally released the procedures for importing race car parts from the EU. This is an official HMG flow chart and of course operates the other way too. Good job Iain got back on Thursday

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Jan 2021, 09:02 (Ref:4026214)   #2361
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The government have finally released the procedures for importing race car parts from the EU. This is an official HMG flow chart and of course operates the other way too. Good job Iain got back on Thursday

Can someone post the "old" process for comparison please ?
Old 1 Jan 2021, 09:19 (Ref:4026216)   #2362
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I sold parts to Europe it was just the same as the UK. Ring up carrier. Wrap parcel. Leave it out for carrier to collect. Bank the money. When buying from Europe it was: email supplier. Send money. Receive goods, sometimes even next day if I paid that much shipping.

But we'll get used to it. It's only a bit of paperwork. We did it perfectly adequately in the 70s without the benefit of computers. hrug:

Old 1 Jan 2021, 11:20 (Ref:4026245)   #2363
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

I see they eliminated step 2. Does that means this is the simplified process?

Old 1 Jan 2021, 13:26 (Ref:4026273)   #2364
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
So the same as it is for non-EU countries then?
Old 1 Jan 2021, 14:50 (Ref:4026284)   #2365
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What will be the major changes when importing goods from the UK to France? And if it concerns labour only?
Old 1 Jan 2021, 16:52 (Ref:4026300)   #2366
midgetman
Veteran

Well, previously, we popped the items into an envelope and sent them in the post, literally the same as to the UK. Now they have to clear customs both sides of La Manche.

My only experience of that is importing from Pakistan - it adds a couple of days to delivery, I sometimes have to stump up for UK shipping and I have to pay what seems random duties. They're not easy to sort out - racing gloves for instance are sometimes "fancy goods", other times "protective clothing" and then there's different sub divisions depending on how much leather there is, whether it's real or faux etc etc. So I just sent a cheque for a random amount either before delivery or some weeks after depending on the company the supplier used. It made accurate pricing quite difficult, thankfully the margins in goods from the Far East are high enough it doesn't matter. Oh also parcels are opened at customs and so badly re-packed that some goods were unsaleable.

The big question is - will the French customers be happy with the process, or will they go to an EU seller that doesn't have the paperwork? Time will tell. I'm sure it will be fine.

Last edited by midgetman; 1 Jan 2021 at 16:58.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 18:00 (Ref:4026308)   #2367
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I know Stand 21 has a workshop in India, I bought bespoke racing boots (colors and two different sizes for one pair) and the quality is satisfying for the use.
I hope it will be possible to buy from Burton, Wood, Quaife and some others with no more hassle or taxes than previously. There's no reason why we couldn't. Yes, it'll be fiiiiine! Lets go racing as Iain says!
Old 3 Jan 2021, 10:10 (Ref:4026550)   #2368
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
I know Stand 21 has a workshop in India, I bought bespoke racing boots (colors and two different sizes for one pair) and the quality is satisfying for the use.
ys!
Yes the far Eastern quality has been going up for years. Stand 21 have their own factory and quality control, I think there is no difference between any European offering.

I use one of the many, many factories based in Sialkot, Pakistan, for my clothing imports. We all buy the same stuff just stick a different label on it. The same goes for some of the helmet brands imported into the West, they're what the manufacturer makes as opposed to what the importer designs. I looked at getting involved myself but decided against it.

Old 3 Jan 2021, 10:26 (Ref:4026551)   #2369
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Will these things become easier with trade deals? If we have a deal with Pakistan, then presumably tarrifs disappear and thus customs formalities become less of an issue.
Old 3 Jan 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4026588)   #2370
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Will these things become easier with trade deals? If we have a deal with Pakistan, then presumably tarrifs disappear and thus customs formalities become less of an issue.
quite possibly; but AIUI the 60-odd we've signed recently are all follow-on agreements with countries that have agreements with the EU which we needed to replicate at the point of leaving. Now they are in place we can negotiate to improve them. A customs entry still needs to be made for every consignment for counting and control purposes but as they are done online it doesn't make a great difference to the process whether import tax is due or not.
Old 3 Jan 2021, 16:57 (Ref:4026590)   #2371
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

One would hope so, but I'm sure that irrespective of what is negotiated, our customs in particular will pounce on any opportunity to "gold-plate" the inspection regime, even if we are promised "a light touch" initially. Other countries may or may not adopt similar attitudes. Its all political rather than practical because in reality nobody's goods will be any different now than they were before, so there is no real justification for the "formalities" - other than to keep officialdom happy.....
Old 3 Jan 2021, 17:10 (Ref:4026592)   #2372
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brexit made it to page 34 of our local paper yesterday, a paper which covers Pas de Calais & thus the ports of Calais, Dunkerque etc.

Admittedly 1 Jan is a quiet day for travel anyway, but they reported that the first ferry to arrive post Brexit carried just forty trucks "& a few rare tourists". The majority of the trucks had completed paperwork on online & so passed straight through & on their way as usual. So basically, there was nothing to report!
Old 4 Jan 2021, 07:55 (Ref:4026656)   #2373
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
So basically, there was nothing to report!
Where do you think the name "reporter" comes from? Hence the quality of our journos!
Old 4 Jan 2021, 08:10 (Ref:4026658)   #2374
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Where do you think the name "reporter" comes from? Hence the quality of our journos!
La Voix Du Nord is an excellent newspaper!
Old 4 Jan 2021, 08:46 (Ref:4026661)   #2375
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Can someone post the "old" process for comparison please ?

For cars it was - hook up car, Drive to EU. load car, go home.

Stopped 4 1/2 years ago as the exchange rate has been rubbish!