Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 29 Jun 2003, 21:50 (Ref:646542)   #1
pacmstom
Rookie

pacmstom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fun Topic: Why is motorsport better than other sports?

Pacific Motorsport is opening a fun debate as to why motorsport leaves other sports in its dust (so to speak).

From the NZ angle, we are especially interested in the comparison to rugby, soccer, netball, etc.

So don't hold back
Old 30 Jun 2003, 06:43 (Ref:646779)   #2
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sport isn't worth doing unless it involves loads of cool kit and/or gadgets. Motorsport excels at this.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 07:07 (Ref:646804)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well most other sports are all balls.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 07:22 (Ref:646815)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where else can your father pave the way for your sporting career by buying the best equipment money can buy to defeat your opposition..... living vicariously thru your children is the wet dream of some fathers....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Jul 2003, 00:37 (Ref:647899)   #5
pacmstom
Rookie

Hear, hear Mr Mallett ...

Perhaps the fact that all the other sports already use balls means that the players don't actually have to have balls of their own to compete in their sport.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 00:59 (Ref:647904)   #6
Vernon Head
Rookie

Vernon Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do like a bit of netball, and womens tennis has taken over from Motors on the box this week! Oh and that beach volley ball on eurosport is very good, may be I should get out more.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 01:08 (Ref:647907)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racing is as I always say the best-
let me explain...The greatest invention in the history of man would be the Wheel and Fire.
In Motorsports particularly Auto and Cycle Racing
We see the two greatest inventions put together, The fire roaring inside unseen metal houses, and the wheels spinning propelling Man (the generic term so the birds here don't get offended) faster than anything else on the planet.
Faster and faster all the time containing the very Fire in our machine and our hearts to go faster than before and go on longer. And fighting pphysics at evry corner and using it to our advantage in others. It is the culmination of our abilities and gift of invention and power over our surroundings. This is what makes us unique in the Animal Kingdom. We are chasing our "gods" and hoping to best them, it is living legend and art at a pace that our synapses revel in attempting to keep up.
Our art and Science, religion and Life. This is why racing is different (IMHO The greatest) than all other sports- and as ernest hemingway said-the rest are just games.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 01:12 (Ref:647910)   #8
pacmstom
Rookie

well i'll be ...

that was one fine explanation 'gttouring'. so well (and hilariously written) one might be mistaken for thinking you are a relative of the man - hemingway - himself.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 01:34 (Ref:647914)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks- I have had to explain my love for it so oft, that i have honed it to a nice little monologue
Old 3 Jul 2003, 08:32 (Ref:650516)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motor racing has something special that few other sports have, particularly football and cricket. "You don't have to win to enjoy it." Even if you come dead last, you're still on a racetrack, going flat out in a really fast car. How could that not be fun?
Old 3 Jul 2003, 08:54 (Ref:650534)   #11
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David, you have hit the nail on the head, there is probably nothing left to say after that.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 11:06 (Ref:650680)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by pacmstom
Hear, hear Mr Mallett ...

Perhaps the fact that all the other sports already use balls means that the players don't actually have to have balls of their own to compete in their sport.
Hmm,

I'd take issue with you in the case of Rugby (both codes) but generally you are probaly right.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 14:08 (Ref:650924)   #13
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
So you're telling us there ARE other sports.....?
Old 3 Jul 2003, 16:05 (Ref:651025)   #14
wyzard
Rookie

wyzard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, the only other sport that comes close is ski racing, nearly as mad by chucking yourself down a hill in the fastest time not knowning what the surface will be like when you go down trying to remember the order of the turns, but it still ain't motorsport!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 18:29 (Ref:651167)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You get a lot of that in Surbiton don't you?

Welcome aboard.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 08:42 (Ref:651770)   #16
wyzard
Rookie

wyzard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Peter, well to be honest no!