Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Apr 2010, 02:09 (Ref:2679691)   #1
grange54
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
grange54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winton V8's - NO BYO ALCOHOL

Call to the office at Winton last week has confirmed that there is no BYO alcohol for the V8 Supercar event, 14, 15 & 16 May 2010.
This is part of the V8 Supercar contract (porage rights for the weekend)

It was confirmed that BYO will be allowed in the camping area but it cannot be taken from the camp ground into the circuit area.

I remember reading a press release by Tony Cochrane relating to the cancellation of the Perth event, where it was stated the failure to control BYO alcohol was one of the reasons that contributed to the loss of the Perth round. ( I tried to find that press release however was unable to do so)

I know we love to have a VB or at least a Carlton product whilst watching the V8's however at this time it is not possible. If we wish to continue with this tradition of watching the V8's at Winton, I am asking that race fans take steps to leave the BYO at home and if we want to have a drink or two we purchase the product for sale at the circuit.

I can already hear cries of $6.00+ for a can of XXXX and so on, but if we want to have the event at Winton in 2011 then it is time for fans to recognise the commitment that Winton makes each year to bring the V8's to North East Victoria each year and leave the BYO at home.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 05:31 (Ref:2679717)   #2
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next year it will be no BYO food. 2012 no BYP clothes.

TV looks better every day doesn't it?
Your turn Trev - do your best...
Old 26 Apr 2010, 06:31 (Ref:2679723)   #3
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't drink at V8s usually because I am driving and I don't have to drink to have fun. But of the four events that I have attended - Winton, Sandown, Adelaide and PI, 2 are (or have been) BYO and the other 2 aren't.

The 2 which aren't Sandown and Adelaide I have experienced a greater number of drunken idiots than I have at the 2 BYO events in Winton and PI.

I don't believe this decision can be for any other reason than the lack of income that can be produced (I am not sure if it is V8s or Winton themselves).

I don't know how it works in Victoria but in SA at any event which serves alcohol you are required to have a higher number of security staff and also a higher number of toilets available.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 06:33 (Ref:2679725)   #4
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully the start of making all motorsport completely dry events.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2679731)   #5
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
Next year it will be no BYO food. 2012 no BYP clothes.

TV looks better every day doesn't it?
Your turn Trev - do your best...
Thanks to the work by the Diabetes Council of Australia, if memory serves correctly, banning BYO food puts you in a very difficult positiion when it comes to lawsuits. Winton would have to be able to prove they can provide food suitable to many varied medical conditions. Originally this sort of thing came about because of movie cinema operators attempted to ban BYO foods and got their asses whooped in court.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 09:09 (Ref:2679775)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek View Post
(I am not sure if it is V8s or Winton themselves).
This is all VE$A's doing, my ear to the ground heard about this months ago and my sources tell me the BAC is happy for the grass roots fans to bring thier own with them but their hands are tied.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 11:15 (Ref:2679838)   #7
grange54
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
grange54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PVDA has hit the nail on the head. It is part of the contract with VESA and a requirement that Winton is required to undertake.
I believe that Winton is way out front as the family venue. Packed pickinic lunches, BBQ breakfasts and lunches. The raceway is not going to stop race fans from bringing in food, soft drinks, water or other non alocholic beverages.
I started this post so that the fans who may have been going to BYO are aware of the change in policy and leave it at home.
I am sure that Winton fans do not want to give VESA a reason to pull the plug on next years event.
Most sporting events are now operating under no BYO policy, the AFL, Rugby League, Horse racing and most local footy venues.
The March issue of Pitstop, BAC (Benalla Auto Club) monthly magazine also covered the issue of BYO.
I will be trackside at the weekend of the V8's and hopefully will be enjoying the goodies off the BBQ and if I find that I need a cold one to wash down the said goodies I am sure I will be able to purchase a few from one of the bars.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2679848)   #8
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek View Post
I don't drink at V8s usually because I am driving and I don't have to drink to have fun. But of the four events that I have attended - Winton, Sandown, Adelaide and PI, 2 are (or have been) BYO and the other 2 aren't.

The 2 which aren't Sandown and Adelaide I have experienced a greater number of drunken idiots than I have at the 2 BYO events in Winton and PI.

I don't believe this decision can be for any other reason than the lack of income that can be produced (I am not sure if it is V8s or Winton themselves).

I don't know how it works in Victoria but in SA at any event which serves alcohol you are required to have a higher number of security staff and also a higher number of toilets available.

Would the greater number of drunken idiots at Adelaide and Sandown also relate to those two tracks having easy access to public transport and major suburban environments, where as at PI and Winton most attendees have had to drive to attend the event.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2679867)   #9
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Hopefully the start of making all motorsport completely dry events.
God help us. Having to sit through an entire V8 supercar meeting without a drink is surely cruel and unusual punishment.
Welcome to the nanny state!
Oh to be back in France... There's no place like home, There's no place like home, There's no place like home...
Damn still here.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2679896)   #10
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
imagine the holdups at the entrance gates when they check all vehicles for grog........and allowing grog in the camping area is ok but its a short walk to the trackside carrying 1/2 a dozen cans
Old 26 Apr 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2680064)   #11
HSVDT
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
HSVDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grange54 View Post
I am sure that Winton fans do not want to give VESA a reason to pull the plug on next years event.
Most sporting events are now operating under no BYO policy, the AFL, Rugby League, Horse racing and most local footy venues.

If I find that I need a cold one to wash down the said goodies I am sure I will be able to purchase a few from one of the bars.
I doubt that it would matter about Wintons policy of no BYO because if VESA didn't want the V8's to return to Winton irrespective of what year it is VESA could easily up and leave should they wish.

I'm a non drinker but VESA needs a contract in place that does not allow any alcohol to be brought into any event or served at a bar at any event, I recently went to a NRL match and 7 guys infront of myself and 2 friends were as drunk as all hell bashing a metal sign and kicking the wire mesh fence for the full 80 mins, but all they got was a warning from a cop just prior to half time. GET RID of the GROG.

Lets face track owners/organizers whinge about the high costs that is imposed upon them now to host a V8 event and Winton is no different so in 5 years time the costs that Mr Ronke and all other owners/organizers may need to cough up could possibly be almost double just to host a V8 round.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2680156)   #12
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a huge supporter of Winton as everyone knows, and I know that this is NOT Winton's choice, but V8SCA is seriously pushing the boundaries or what is proper and decent. They are all about TV and sponsorship, this is more proof they don't give a flying rats clacker about the grass roots fan.

I don't drink the **** on offer by V8SCA's Australia precious ****ing sponsors, so I might just stay at home and do something else.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2680197)   #13
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
Welcome to the nanny state!
Damn still here.
Your unbiased reporter again getting mixed up as to who is forcing this condition on people.

Oh hang on - V8SCA must be the Victorian government ergo it is the states fault ergo let's place the blame on the nanny state.

Victoria - State of hoons, idiot drivers and P Plate drivers who know everything.

Yep - let's bring the French over here - they have the experience to sabotage and sink the series!
Old 26 Apr 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2680225)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having worked in the event biz myself and knowing the need to generate a profit to stay in business, I can understand a venue retaining it's rights to food and beverage inside the venue. I don't really find it ideal myself, but as long as the food and bev is good quality and reasonably priced then I can't complain too much.

Alcohol I don't mind but I do mind when clowns binge drink and then get in your own personal space or act like loons and especially when they are spewing all over you. Yup that's fine have a beer, but once it's a slab of beer then and I have to deal with your boorish behavior while I am trying to enjoy the race, then forget it.

Unfortunately there are too many irresponsible idiots out there that ruin it for everyone else.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 23:57 (Ref:2680241)   #15
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
It is hypocritical to criticise 'drunks' at sporting events, then go on to say that the event has to sell the sponsors full strength alcohol "to support the people who support the event".

It reeks of double standards.

This is a money grab by V8SCA.

Grange54 , can you answer one of these 2 questions:
1. is Tony Cochrane et el getting a cut from the sale of the sponors grog at Winton?

2. Does Winton have to buy it at inflated prices, at prices set by an unknown 3rd party, then on-sell it at inflated prices?
Old 27 Apr 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2680242)   #16
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
And of course I understand the need to protect the contracts that V8SCA have with their sponsors, but it is just a money grab, what do they do with the money?
Old 27 Apr 2010, 01:00 (Ref:2680253)   #17
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
I am in no way criticising Winton or their staff, they have had their hand forced by V8SCA, my issue is with V8SCA.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 01:02 (Ref:2680254)   #18
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Winton would have to be able to prove they can provide food suitable to many varied medical conditions. Originally this sort of thing came about because of movie cinema operators attempted to ban BYO foods and got their asses whooped in court.
Not to mention halal/kosher/vegan diets. As for the BYO ban, a few ****heads spoil it for the responsible drinker.

That said, the real motivation is $$. And the chance to sell alochol at vastly inflated prices.

I smuggle mine into QR & Bathurst. Experience & cunning will beat rent-a-cop anyday. And besides, would you want to plunge a hand into someones esky at 6.00 am at OR in May? Or B'hurst in Oct? Look out for frostbite.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 01:47 (Ref:2680262)   #19
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well after cunningly smuggling your BYO into the track and drinking it responsibly, I hope you don't have the hide to perv at the XXXX Angels Marcos WTF. That would be hypocritical
Old 27 Apr 2010, 01:57 (Ref:2680264)   #20
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now a word from our sponsors XXXX, Jim Beam etc.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 03:54 (Ref:2680293)   #21
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Well after cunningly smuggling your BYO into the track and drinking it responsibly, I hope you don't have the hide to perv at the XXXX Angels Marcos WTF. That would be hypocritical
Naturally. And I don't look at the harley davision girls at motor shows either.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 04:03 (Ref:2680295)   #22
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
but it is just a money grab, what do they do with the money?
Anyone with brains knows the answer to this - how many trees are there around Winton they can **** it up against?
Old 27 Apr 2010, 04:53 (Ref:2680304)   #23
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sorry but I don't think alcohol has much to do with idiot behaviour. I think it's more a case of what type of person is consuming said drink. I have seen plenty of sober idiots at race meetings.

I've taken alcohol to Motorsport events for years without incident. I've been to Bathurst while the grog ban was on, there were still plenty of idiots up there. Paying double the price for a can of beer that is having cool water poured over it make it 'cold' is a joke.

I wouldn't mind paying for alcohol at the events as long as the pricing was fair and resonable. But I'm sorry $6.00 for a can of XXXX and $10.00 for a can of spirits (Clipsal 500 prices) is just ripping off the public blind.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 06:18 (Ref:2680328)   #24
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Im not too worried about an BYO ban at Winton as I still have to drive home afterwards , but I certainly hope they do not go down the BYO food ban , that would be just crazy !!!

I think the hard thing they will have to control is keeping the BYO in the camp ground , not so easy I would think
Old 27 Apr 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2680560)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVDT View Post
I'm a non drinker but VESA needs a contract in place that does not allow any alcohol to be brought into any event or served at a bar at any event, I recently went to a NRL match and 7 guys infront of myself and 2 friends were as drunk as all hell bashing a metal sign and kicking the wire mesh fence for the full 80 mins, but all they got was a warning from a cop just prior to half time. GET RID of the GROG.
That is a completely different argument and nothing to do with this BYO decision in my opinion.

If they were serious about handling the possibility of drunken behaviour, they wouldn't be selling any alcohol at the event altogether. Banning BYO is just a way of forcing people to throw down the sponsors product if they want beer (or bourban etc..)

How many Mt Franklin bottles will be filled with vodka upon circuit entry ??