Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Jan 2002, 12:05 (Ref:205725)   #1
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst 1000

do you remember the supertouring races they had at bathurst, they were awesome races, i dont know who's stupid idea it was to halve them, then not televise them, unless there was a 5 minute segment on speedweek about half a year later.

but do you remember the little hill on mountain straight, where the cars fly down, just before breaking point? well, do you remember there was Audi and other names and symbols electronically printed onto the screen, to make you beleive that there was audi painted on the road?! well.....why have they not done that anymore, or on other races, the last time i saw that was at an end of an indy race where the face of the winner was superimposed similar to mountain straight.

but those yanks go overboard with their telemetry, and dont think that i like indy! maybe gold coast or road races. but no oval!!!
Old 28 Jan 2002, 15:24 (Ref:205785)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They certainly were great races. The 1999 Bathurst 500 was shown live on channel 7. it was a really dumb idea to halve it

I also find it strange that the projections haven't been used many places since, they seem like a great way to advertise, and would certainly get noticed.

The best use of sponser projections was during the Bathurst '99 coverage, channel 7 projected a computerised billboard on the outside of pit straight, 'coincidently' blocking the TV veiwers from sseing the grandstand, of which hardly any were filled.
Old 28 Jan 2002, 19:29 (Ref:205895)   #3
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually I thought those super imposed adds were awful. For the Bathurst 500 it was a gloomy rainy day and the bright flickering adds dubbed in just stood out like dogs balls giving me a head ache.

I'm glad Channel 10 don't do it as I felt Chennel 7 prostituted the sacred mountain dubbing rubbish like Triple M logos just out of Hell Corner.

I'm glad Channel 7 haven't been back since. An Aussie icon such as Mount Panorama does not deserve to be electronically raped.

Last edited by Buckshot; 28 Jan 2002 at 19:31.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 05:23 (Ref:206121)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was (still is) one major reason you haven't seen too much of this recently - $$$$$

If you recall, about 18 months - 2 years ago, there was a court case started with the Melbourne Cricket Club against Ch 7. I am not sure if this actually got into court, but the basis of the legal action was that Ch 7 was using digitally projected advertising on the MCG ground and the MCC claimed that *they* were the ones who owned the ground, they were the ones who signed the contracts and therefore they were the ones who say what advertising can be placed around the MCG.

So - the upshot of this was that the MCC were saying that Ch 7 could not sign out their own contracts for digital advertising which did not physically appear at the ground.

Ch 7 and, I believe, Ch 10 did this at Bathurst (Ch 7 had a blank billboard at the end of Pit Straight which, when the camera looking back towards the pits as the cars went up the mountain, was able to have 'virtual advertising' on and be changed during the race.

Ch 10 also used this virtual advertising during a Calder Park SCS race - I think in 98 - and its use caused a LOT of arguments that day from the Bob Jane Corporation. The reasoning was the same - Bob Jane Corp (or Calder Park Motorsport) owned the track and signed advertising contracts NOT Ch 10.

This type of advertising hasn't been seen in motorsport since then as the circuits, for once, actually banded together in this - THEY owned the tracks, THEY sign the advertising contracts therefore THEY call the shots on what advertising could be seen to be in place at a track.

This legal argument still hasn't been resolved and is still festering.

In fact, the argument has reached the stage whereby some tracks are now also claiming, like AVESCO, to own ALL rights for EVERYTHING at a track. AVESCO, for arguments sake, were trying last year to claim they owned the copyright to ANY images taken at the track - moving and still - despite the fact that by law copyright can only be invested in the originator of a work (of art - which still images are regarded).

Hope this has answered your question a bit.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 05:25 (Ref:206122)   #5
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
I'm glad Channel 10 don't do it as I felt Chennel 7 prostituted the sacred mountain dubbing rubbish like Triple M logos just out of Hell Corner.

I'm glad Channel 7 haven't been back since. An Aussie icon such as Mount Panorama does not deserve to be electronically raped.
Channel 10 [B]have{/B] done this - at Calder and at Bathurst - on a number of occasions. You will find that they are doing it still at Adelaide, Bathurst, Canberra and Sandown - events where the track is hired and promoted by IMG.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 11:18 (Ref:206190)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'll also find it has been done with the F1. Those blank green signs that are in a few spots. It is for the digital broadcast mainly.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 11:35 (Ref:206193)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

Ahhh but their contract permits this - in fact as I understand it allowance MUST be made by the organiser for just this sort of thing (allows content specific advertising for each country broadcaster)

That's why I mentioned the exceptions in Australia - the IMG organised road circuits...

BTW - Just how big IS an elephant and rhino cross?
Old 29 Jan 2002, 11:47 (Ref:206196)   #8
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime

If you recall, about 18 months - 2 years ago, there was a court case started with the Melbourne Cricket Club against Ch 7. I am not sure if this actually got into court, but the basis of the legal action was that Ch 7 was using digitally projected advertising on the MCG ground and the MCC claimed that *they* were the ones who owned the ground, they were the ones who signed the contracts and therefore they were the ones who say what advertising can be placed around the MCG.

So - the upshot of this was that the MCC were saying that Ch 7 could not sign out their own contracts for digital advertising which did not physically appear at the ground.

Say Racey, wasn't there also a bit of a Sh_t fight back than that theye were projecting the digital ads on top of the crowd? I do recall some AFL hotshot getting uppity about it.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 12:04 (Ref:206203)   #9
RaceTime
Veteran

Not sure about that - I only got involved because of the Calder Park problem and the flow on effect it has had with race results and timing availability on the Internet.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 12:28 (Ref:206477)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those Solo signs were a great way of covering up the fact that not a soul was there watching at Hell Corner...
Old 30 Jan 2002, 19:46 (Ref:206784)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Those Solo signs were a great way of covering up the fact that not a soul was there watching at Hell Corner...
Cynic! Wasn't Schenken there?

Oh, hang on - you said soul....sorry I stand corrected....
Old 30 Jan 2002, 21:59 (Ref:206960)   #12
Ray Bell
Veteran

At the times of the day when Solo ran out of money to pay for the signs, you could clearly see both spectators... I was being harsh earlier... I confess.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 09:40 (Ref:209439)   #13
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looked rather funny having a couple of people standing behind a large "sign" at the start of Mountain Straight.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 11:30 (Ref:209508)   #14
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime

Cynic! Wasn't Schenken there?

Oh, hang on - you said soul....sorry I stand corrected....
No he was right he said "a soul" and I think "A soul" fits the description.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 13:09 (Ref:212262)   #15
Aussiefan

I attended all the ST Bathursts (Yes even '99, hey I didn't know it was going to be like that!!). I must say '97 was the best year IMO, ok so it wasn't as crowded but at least there were no yobbo ******** ****ers running around ****ed. It was a shame that those races ceased (perhaps not considering the state of our ST series at the moment).

BTW, I always thought that the ST Bathursts were THE official Bathurst races, ie that the V8's started their own separate race and that the ST races followed on from 96 etc. Does this mean the real Bathurst race no longer exists and the current V8 race is still a breakaway race or have they gone back to been the official race? Alternatively, am I completely wrong?

Old 8 Feb 2002, 21:08 (Ref:212626)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

LOL ifyou get down to the so-called 'traditional' Bathurst - then yes, it no longer exists. It was run on the NSW labour day long weekend - not anymore though - so yep - the real Bathurst race stopped two years ago.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 00:51 (Ref:212800)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with AussieFan and Racetime, the 'traditional' race is gone.

On the projected adds, i pulled out my copy of the 2001 Indy 500, and half the adds you see around the track were TV projected, there was even a picture of the race leader projected on the pit straight every time the green came back out after a yellow, and when the winner took the chequer, there was a projected pic of him on the track.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 02:33 (Ref:212829)   #18
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussiefan
... I always thought that the ST Bathursts were THE official Bathurst races, ie that the V8's started their own separate race and that the ST races followed on from 96 etc. Does this mean the real Bathurst race no longer exists and the current V8 race is still a breakaway race or have they gone back to been the official race? Alternatively, am I completely wrong?
They were THE official races in the following regard:

The title "The Great Race" was owned by either Channel 7 or the ARDC as promoters. It was they who decided that Supter Touring would replace the V8s for Bathurst... and also it was the ARDC who nearly went broke trying to make it work.

The long weekend was owned by the ARDC.

These are the only way in which it was in any way officially the race in question. In all other respects, the V8 race was what everyone saw as continuing the lineage started with Coad and Roxburgh's win at Phillip Id in 1960.