Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 11 Feb 2004, 16:21 (Ref:870846)   #1
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Revell Standard-class airbrush

Anyone got one? Anyone used one?

I have just got one for spraying my R/C car bodies, my previous one was an Aztek A220, a single action external mix airbrush.

I would have bought something better, but I only had £30 to spend on a new one.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 17:55 (Ref:870951)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am not familiar with the Revell Standard. Is it a single action or double action brush?

I have two brushes I use to paint RC bodies. A relatively inexpensive Paasche VL for general work and low detail stuff and an Iwata Eclipse HPC for fine detail. Both are double action with the Paasche being siphon feed and the Iwata gravity feed.

Do you plan on shooting lacquers or acrylics?
Never forget #99
Old 11 Feb 2004, 18:05 (Ref:870958)   #3
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its a single action brush, rather basic but it'll do the job.

I would buy a Parma F1 or one of the top-end Azteks if I had the cash.

I'm going to use it for Tamiya polycarbonate paint, Alcad and maybe some Faskolor paint, I want to do some experimenting.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 18:08 (Ref:870962)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I shoot mostly acrylics from my brushes. Usually Parma Faskolor, a little Pactra Acryl and occasionally some AlClad metallics. Most lacquers I shoot from a rattle can just for the sake of easy clean up.

Do you have a compressor? I use a 25lb CO2 bottle found in soda fountains. Works great, cheap to refill and quiet.
Never forget #99
Old 11 Feb 2004, 18:16 (Ref:870972)   #5
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I've got some specific airbrush propellent, only £8 a bottle, and it lasts me a couple of months.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 18:30 (Ref:870987)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Cool. I would suggets using the largest needle setting your brush has, Faskolor is pretty thick. If you have to thin it, use a little alcohol instead of water. I have found that water thins the paint and also thins the BondAll that Createx puts in the paint to make it stick to non-porous materials. Alcohol does not do this. It also evaporates out faster than water.

Your going to need a pretty good amount of pressure to get it to flow. I generally shoot faskolor at about 30 psi with a #5 needle. It took me a little time to get the pressure and needle settings right.
Never forget #99