Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 10 Nov 2021, 10:54 (Ref:4082549)   #2566
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
What displacement your lawnmover? Mine didnt appreciate the use of castor oil, smell is great but the conrod gave up… May be a kind of record for a Briggs&Stratton engine!
Our Peugeot 406 petrol died with worn valve gear.

"Strange," said the mechanic. "They don't normally have a problem with cam shaft lubrication."

But then again I suppose they weren't designed to run on castor-based 2-stroke. "How did that happen?"

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 10 Nov 2021, 12:55 (Ref:4082572)   #2567
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Did you sell to 406 parts off or scrap it? Was there any value left in it?
Old 10 Nov 2021, 18:19 (Ref:4082649)   #2568
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did Kent Cams give you the max and minimum lenght for the springs? Must not be "jointing whorls" any time methink. Even with the 8 mark in mind dont put too much stress on your timing gear, lot of inconvenients in this case.
Old 10 Nov 2021, 22:19 (Ref:4082692)   #2569
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, they did.
Their springs have an installed height of 36mm prob +/-0.1mm

The Porsche springs install at 34.2 / 34.5 for both valves.
They are designed to have a slight (finger push) interference fit between them to stop harmonics occurring at speed.
Stock springs have 1.5mm clearance!

My machined heads should be ready in 2 weeks, so will get on with the set-up then.

The pistons and rods are still mid December/ Xmas.

I still cannot find any mains bearings or cam chains
Old 11 Nov 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4082762)   #2570
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't let it pass without mention - congratulations on passing the threequarter million mark, Graham.

A great story.
Old 11 Nov 2021, 17:11 (Ref:4082811)   #2571
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kind of you to say, thank you.
Kicked off in May 2008!
That is a long time ago, but what a trip it has been.
I would never ever of thought this little club racer (for that is all it is) would prove of interest to so many over these 13 years.

It is a car so very close to my heart giving me so many up and quite a few downs with a very long build story let alone the chase for the Chassis number.
So many people on here have contributed in such a positive way, I can't remember one negative post.
Away from the chassis number search the one key factor in the usability of this car by a very average driver has been the chassis.

Still on it's original set up by Sean of McClurg Motorsport I can jump into the car at any time and feel I can trust the way it drives and handles.
There are a LOT of hillclimb cars with his sticker discreetly placed on the cars in the paddock for good reason.

I am so lucky having this car and the opportunity to scribble about it, but also 750,000 people taking a 'look' at the next step.
Old 11 Nov 2021, 17:14 (Ref:4082812)   #2572
911thillclimber
Veteran

Old 12 Nov 2021, 16:43 (Ref:4083056)   #2573
911thillclimber
Veteran

Had a busy day in the gaage. with no engine parts in sight I turned to the oil system and removed and cleaned the cooler and the huge dry sump tank.
Car was very dirty when they were removed, but everything good now.

It was with some trepidation I split the dry sump tank to see what was in the bottom after 5 years use. Swarf, bits of steel, shards of aluminium?

Nope, clean as a whistle, so chuffed.
This was a very good engine!

Dirty:

Dry sump apart:

Together again:

Cooler, cleaned and back in. So much dirt trapped in the cooling fins!

Old 12 Nov 2021, 18:21 (Ref:4083074)   #2574
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!
Makes you wonder how any of us had time for our proper jobs!
Old 12 Nov 2021, 22:42 (Ref:4083123)   #2575
911thillclimber
Veteran

I was in a big job when I bought this Lola in 2008, Director of Design Engineering and all that goes with that.
I did the work tirelessly in the evenings and weekends and it did get in the way of work. It took about 2 years max to get it up and sort of running but still hours and hours in the garage.
Hard going.

Took early retirement (63) and never looked back, no money (in comparison) but lots of time. Have not been in the garage in the evenings since for the last 6 years, and do not work on the Lola weekends, got all day! (ish)
Old 26 Nov 2021, 16:44 (Ref:4085559)   #2576
911thillclimber
Veteran

finally, a bit of garage action.

Got my heads back from The Head Shop in Warrington who have machined them for twin plugs.
Great to deal with, promised 3 weeks and a good price, ready by 3 weeks at the same price, no surprises, price quoted inc VAT, what a refreshing change.

Bought a nice new valve lapping stick with supple rubber cups so grip these huge valves, and after clearing the carbon from the exhaust ports and re-fitting some studs (removed to access the area for machining) finally ground the valves on one head, set the small temporary springs to hold the valves tight and all fitted to the heads with shim-less assembly but the titanium top caps to measure the height for the racing springs.
This method works a treat, no fancy £110 tools, just 2 simple springs, £2.00 each.

With the tension on the two valves, 2 plugs in tight, inverted the head and filled the combustion chamber with white spirit to wait for leaks. One drop came free after 35 mins when a fellwe DDK'r arrived!

Drained the spirit off and measured the distance from the underside of the top cup and the lower spring seat.

For the springs I need close to 36mm on both valves, so by adding the right number of shims managed to get to 35.8 and 36.2mm. Can't get closer as the shims are in 0.5mm thickness only.

Springs in tomorrow and that will be one head done, 5 to go.

My main crank bearings and chains cleared Customs today, so they will be with me end of next week.
Another long wait then for the pistons and rods.

Old 26 Nov 2021, 19:33 (Ref:4085571)   #2577
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont forget to order six plugs…
Old 27 Nov 2021, 15:17 (Ref:4085630)   #2578
911thillclimber
Veteran

Woke up this morning to a day to myself due to weather keeping us indoors ( )

Set about doing all 6 heads all ready to go on the engine, so once the smells have dispersed they will migrate to the 3rd bedroom...

Methodically did the following
Lap the valves, fit the temporary springs to both valves, fill combustion chamber to the top with white spirit, pause a few mins and check for leaks (none!)
Drain, measure the distance to fit springs with digital Vernier, calculate the shims needed to get close as possible to 36mm. Managed this exactly twice.

Strip, oil valve stem and insert, fit guide seal nice and snug using the tube sleeve provided to prevent lip seal damage, remove sleeve.

Fit springs and titanium top hats. The collets were a test, but the last of the 12 I did flew together
Using my motorcycle valve spring compressor is a darling, so light and easy, highly recommended.