Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 31 Dec 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3183420)   #26
Merlyn mk6 RS44
Rookie

Merlyn mk6 RS44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can any one tell me the chassis # for the 1st mk6 merlynbest regards Joe Farmer
My new chassis should be leaving england for Australia in the next few weeks
Old 1 Oct 2013, 04:50 (Ref:3311290)   #27
Jack Savage
Rookie

Jack Savage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by astonishdb4 View Post
Hello, I have just found this long dead thread and joined the forum to try to find some info on my vehicle.
It is the one Ken O'Neill crashed at Candlestick Park; Chassis #30 RS, Body #26 RSF
I purchased/pried the wreck from Bob Bentler (hoarder extraordinaire) In about 1990, he had purchased it right after the fatal accident. It came with 3 of the original wheels and I managed to locate the 4th at a vendors booth at a race car parts sale near Tacoma. I asked Bunny about the car when he came up here to Vancouver the year of our inaugural Indy Car race. He could not offer much info on the car.

The car is pretty much complete other than missing engine and transmission and I'm afraid it will be a distant retirement project for me. I have scads of Twink stuff and plan when the time comes to run it in that configuration.

Any info would be very much appreciated, thanks.
Just wondering about those wheels on it. The one that broke. Any thoughts on how the wheel broke. I've been haunted by that since the accident.

Kenny really didn't want to race that day. He was a terrific driver, taught racing back then, before he was killed in the Merlyn. I'm looking at a picture of it now. I was told he tried to redirect it away from the crowd control people sitting under the canopy tent at the escape route. Wasn't there that day, heard it on the radio up in Oregon. Still can't figure out why they would race with those huge chunks of concrete around the course.
Does anyone else know if those particular wheels had a history of breakage? What's the condition of that one wheel. Have they learned anything new on those since then?

I think Bunny worked on the car with Kenny. Kenny loved that car. Loved racing. Everything about it. Surprised to find this thread. My daughter told me about it just tonight. I have a few pictures of the car, didn't know it still carried interest. Had a Porsche engine. I didn't race, but rode a few laps with him when he was instructor driver and me the student in an Austen Healy up in Vacaville. Went to most all of his races. Any pictures of him in any of his cars would be really appreciated.

New to the forum, but you could PM me with info on him, the car, or questions, but you probably have more answers than I do about it.
Old 6 Feb 2021, 19:04 (Ref:4033757)   #28
Yerbs
Rookie

Yerbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
merlyn mk6

I am really interested in all the Merlyn blogs going on
My hobby is model making and I am trying to find the essential dimensions to make a slot car body-I would of thought that to be easy peasy but it is not
I have looked eveywhere but no luck-I think the Mk4 is ver similar in wheelbase?
Any help would be greatfully recieved
Old 2 Nov 2021, 20:44 (Ref:4081199)   #29
Ron Cummings
Rookie

Ron Cummings should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe this is your car, not a Merlyn

I explained the Hans Adam, Pam, Gupton Platypus on this site at: http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Ma...heSpecial.html
Old 2 Nov 2021, 20:52 (Ref:4081200)   #30
Ron Cummings
Rookie

Miles Gupton did race, for a short time, the PAM Merlyn. Scooter Patrick originally raced this Merlyn with a Corvair. Then Gupton raced it with a Porsche 550A Spyder motor for a couple of races while Hans Adam was building the first of three Platypus racers. The first of three Platypus cars: http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Ma...heSpecial.html

Last edited by Ron Cummings; 2 Nov 2021 at 21:13.
Old 2 Nov 2021, 21:07 (Ref:4081203)   #31
Ron Cummings
Rookie

The Platypus was not a Merlyn. I explained the history of the first of three, Hans Adam, PAM Platypus cars raced by Miles Gupton at: http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Ma...heSpecial.html
Old 3 Nov 2021, 19:57 (Ref:4081353)   #32
Ron Cummings
Rookie

The Platypus cars were not Merlyns but copied from a Merlyn frame by Hans Adam. This is the story of Miles Gupton's, the first, Platypus. The photo shows the car after Miles installed the Loutus 19 body. http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Ma...heSpecial.html