Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Oct 2003, 07:47 (Ref:743714)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3 out of AGP - NC out of AGP and Indy?

Sources are suggesting, quite reliably, that Formula 3 and Nations Cup have been PULLED from the Australian Grand Prix next year and Nations Cup have also been pulled from the Indy event later this month.

The inference I have been given is that there appears to be trouble brewing (or has indeed been brewed) and Channel 10 have spat the dummy refusing to allow Procar categories to be covered during both of these events.

Given this, Procar have, so I understand, pulled their categories from both the Indy and AGP events.

Anyone care to comment further on the truth (or otherwise) of thee? rossp1???
Old 8 Oct 2003, 07:56 (Ref:743723)   #2
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Nations Cup have been pulled from Indy, that means that all Procar categories would have to be withdrawn?? i.e GT Performance/BRutes/F3.

If this is true, how pathetic of channel 10! They don't own the whole of Australian Motorsport as they seem to think!

Last edited by CooperS79; 8 Oct 2003 at 07:58.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 07:57 (Ref:743724)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ouch! It makes sense though, PROCAR will be treated like 4th class citizens at Indy anyway, especially if TC has anything to do about it...

What that does to the championships in play is anyone's guess though?

Is Mr Stokell the first Non-JR title winner?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 8 Oct 2003, 07:59 (Ref:743728)   #4
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is true,you would think that they could race and just not have any TV coverage,the thing that really hurts in not attending is the loss of a major chance to have some corperate hob nobbing.I guess it is the reality of deciding to go with channel 7 as opposed to striking a deal with 10 to gain decent coverage on the V8 off weeks.For a series that is constantly accused of having such lack lustre support races AVESCO seem to have a lot of TV time on 10 don't they.
No doubt PROCAR were aware that the chances of being dropped from these events and this was pointed out in the due diligence conducted prior to entering into the deal with 7

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 8 Oct 2003, 08:10 (Ref:743744)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The AVESCO support program pretty much sucks... they do nothing to help promote any other category that Supercar, ignoring Formula Ford, yet getting all misty eyed about Aussie Legends...

They must be wired different to us mere mortals.

Here's hoping Mr Palmer has a Scud missile to go a-hunting with
Old 8 Oct 2003, 08:12 (Ref:743745)   #6
RaceTime
Veteran

Let me clarify a few things.

The information I have been provided only mentioned F3 and NC specifically BUT it did relate to all Procar categories (for which I was remiss not to mention).

Onlooker - my understanding is that Ross Palmer has decided to pull the categories as there is no point running at the events if they cannot even be filmed for later broadcast on Ch 7 (this is, I believe, what the dispute is primarily about).

The benefactor of F3 not running at the AGP is that, it now appears, Formula Ford is back on the program for 2004 BUT considering they came extremely close to having all their Saturday and Sunday events cancelled this year, must be one hell of a relief for them.

I don't believe we have heard the last of this particular problem (non-ch 10 film crews not being permitted to film at Ch 10 events).
Old 8 Oct 2003, 08:14 (Ref:743747)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

Don't think Ross needs a scud - after all he now has MIA and there is AASA in the wings as well....

It was suggested to me that maybe F3 should be pushing for Gold Star recognition - but whilst some within CAMS remain that is unlikely to happen - Formula 4000 powered by....awww **** - F/Holden (then we know what we are talking about) has been a poor excuse for a major category for 2 years now - but is still 'highly regarded' by one or two within CAMS - thus its continuing 'high profile'
Old 8 Oct 2003, 08:17 (Ref:743749)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
In the end, if the CART cars run over time for whatever reason, these support classes get chopped to buggery anyway... probably makes some sense somewhere not to show up, but not to the teams still fighting for the championship

What next, AVESCO putting pressure on commercial partner CAMS, and pressuring drivers in the V8 Supercar paddock not to drive in PROCAR events???

Its the thin end of the wedge....
Old 8 Oct 2003, 08:29 (Ref:743760)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is true that these categories have been pulled from the programme due to T.V. it will be dissapointing as it will cost the drivers from those classes a chance to compete at our two international events for the year, hopefully Ross Palmer can come on & clear up any speculation so we can get the facts.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 08:52 (Ref:743787)   #10
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've already heard of drivers who race in both series getting pressured by AVESCO.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 09:34 (Ref:743829)   #11
jhayden
Rookie

jhayden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't John Cowley involved in PROCAR and on the Chairman of the Lexmark Indy board?? Surely, he wouldn't want Procar off the program?

Cheers
John
Old 8 Oct 2003, 10:04 (Ref:743846)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

He may not want them off, but that isn't his call, is it?
Old 8 Oct 2003, 10:22 (Ref:743863)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happened to having two sets of cameras at the track, as happened at Adelaide last year?
Old 8 Oct 2003, 10:32 (Ref:743880)   #14
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems very strange to me. As you said Crash Test, they had 2 sets of cameras recording at Adelaide. :confused:
Old 8 Oct 2003, 10:33 (Ref:743883)   #15
RaceTime
Veteran

Ch 10 are, from my information, not permitting this and are refusing to pass over raw footage to AVE.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 10:58 (Ref:743903)   #16
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I notice that the Procar website seems to be off line at the moment as well.

Coincidence?
Old 8 Oct 2003, 11:25 (Ref:743935)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame on you channel 10. shame shame shame
Old 8 Oct 2003, 11:28 (Ref:743939)   #18
RaceTime
Veteran

Paul - yes I noticed - went down just as I got off the phone with this informaiton...hmmmm spies, spooks and stories
Old 8 Oct 2003, 11:32 (Ref:743944)   #19
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3 are running at wakefeild on the 8th novemeber. Matbe the other catagories might try to be sqeezed in their. Not too much squeezing though, as i am hoping to race that weekend and i am not getting pushed out.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 8 Oct 2003, 12:06 (Ref:743988)   #20
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PVDA
I notice that the Procar website seems to be off line at the moment as well.

Coincidence?
It's back up again so I posted a new thread in the F3 sub forum with Racetime's two posts (with credit to Racetime of course) and a link to this thread so now we wait.

Here's the link to the Procar thread

http://www.procar.com.au/forum/topic...itle=Formula+3
Old 8 Oct 2003, 12:32 (Ref:744024)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

Except the Procar site is up - but the forums are down

And mtpanorama - (not being funny) but I think there is very little chance of the Wakefield meeting having categories changed at this late hour...
Old 8 Oct 2003, 13:16 (Ref:744081)   #22
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
/sarcasm on > You can't blame ch10. After spending all weekend going on about the tight confines of the street circuit making it very difficult to pass in a V8 or champcar, how will it look the next weekend when channel 7 show the procar categories passing will-nilly. < \sarcasm off
Old 8 Oct 2003, 13:23 (Ref:744087)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

Now is this an argument for Project Blueprint or parity (Procar style)?????
Old 8 Oct 2003, 14:03 (Ref:744110)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Onlooker
If it is true,you would think that they could race and just not have any TV coverage,the thing that really hurts in not attending is the loss of a major chance to have some corperate hob nobbing.I guess it is the reality of deciding to go with channel 7 as opposed to striking a deal with 10 to gain decent coverage on the V8 off weeks.For a series that is constantly accused of having such lack lustre support races AVESCO seem to have a lot of TV time on 10 don't they.
No doubt PROCAR were aware that the chances of being dropped from these events and this was pointed out in the due diligence conducted prior to entering into the deal with 7
Channel 10 and PROCAR went their seperate ways in late 2001 after a dispute over money owed (to do with the cancelled Sepang event i believe). There has been no trouble up until now, with both Adelaide events in 2002 and 2003, nor last years Gold Coast event. In terms of decent coverage, the quality on PROCAR telecasts have far exceeded the quality of Trackside....

Channel 10 aren't the be all and end all of motorsport coverage. On the Gold Coast, are they going to ban Speed Channel from bringing over their camera's and commentators???? Or do we have ourselves some double standards?
Old 8 Oct 2003, 21:43 (Ref:744551)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
Now is this an argument for Project Blueprint or parity (Procar style)?????
I dunno, the last two rounds I've been to- QR and OP, there was plenty of overtaking, probably just don't get to see any of it in channel 10's Sunday afternoon advertisment show, which is sometimes disrupted by car racing.