Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1416183)   #1
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British GP 2006 volunteering

The MSA has issued the volunteering forms for the 2006 British Grand Prix.

If you want to volunteer you will need to send the forms in to your parent club so that they can get to the MSA by 25th November.

BMMC members can download the forms from our website www.marshals.co.uk by following the link to "volunteering forms" then to "2006 GP". Please follow the instructions contained therein. (Non-BMMC marshals can also copy the forms and send them to their own parent club).

If anyone has any queries - please e-mail me at bmmc.chair@btopenworld.com.

Remember - get those forms in quickly - BY POST, not e-mail!

Regards

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:20 (Ref:1416643)   #2
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see it's 12 days required! Damn, I was tolsd it would be 11.
Gonna have to find another day somewhere!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1416701)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson
Remember - get those forms in quickly

That's right - the race is next July!!

Funny how the canadians will let you volunteer up to 2 weeks prior their GP and they still organise the best round on the Calendar (Source: FIA)
Old 26 Sep 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1416716)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybirch
I see it's 12 days required! Damn, I was tolsd it would be 11.
Gonna have to find another day somewhere!
Gary I think the standard response is that it is worth talking to the chief for your discipline and/or attaching a letter to your application explaining why and asking that your application be sent to the chief so that he/she can take a view on your application rather than your application just being weeded out by the club because you haven't done enough days.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1416858)   #5
Chris Hobson
Veteran

If you don't qualify..............

I probably shouldn't say this, but, if you are a day or two short of the target don't worry too much - BMMC members should just send their sheets to me anyway and I will lobby on their behalf

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 26 Sep 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1416876)   #6
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris.
Am currently a member of BRSCC but am thinking of joining BMMC instead as our local centre (SW at Combe) is changing around or something! Anyway, how should I do this? e-mail me at [mod]e-mail address deleted - see note below[/mod] and we can discuss.
Ta.

[mod]We strongly recommend not putting e-mail addresses or private contact information in the public forum, so I've deleted it. Suggest contact is made by Private Message instead, or make sure your e-mail address is linked in your profile[/mod]

Last edited by Woolley; 26 Sep 2005 at 22:28.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1417026)   #7
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I probably shouldn't say this, but, if you are a day or two short of the target don't worry too much - BMMC members should just send their sheets to me anyway and I will lobby on their behalf

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Thank you for this, always handy to know if you are 1 short its still worth posting the form.

Personally I could not be bothered attending the event in 2005, may consider 2006 though? In 2003/04 their appeared to be many more spectator marshals than course marshals.

Strange how you have to "lobby on their behalf" though, thought they would be grateful for who they could get to turn up.

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1417138)   #8
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The form is in the post.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1417435)   #9
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have downloaded and will complete tomoro cos I'm too tired now - long weekend
Old 27 Sep 2005, 06:06 (Ref:1417569)   #10
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
steve swallow
I posted mine yesterday
Old 27 Sep 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1417823)   #11
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris,

Will forms still be sent out with club newsletters as in the past ???
Old 27 Sep 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1417901)   #12
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know if the forms are also being sent out by other clubs and will there be a requirement for the Thursday as usual?
Old 27 Sep 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1418075)   #13
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock
Does anyone know if the forms are also being sent out by other clubs and will there be a requirement for the Thursday as usual?
Forms were not sent out in Trackside for whatever reason, but regional newsletters should have them. Problem there though is timing. South Mids won't be issuing their next newsletter till early Nov - tad too late for completing and sending in. Regarding other clubs - ask them.

Best to download form and send that in. If you're reading this then you can access it. Those who don't have internet access have a problem.

Thurs is an option if you want to watch the safety car etc doing high speed laps between watching the grass grow - yes it is that boring - then volunteer for it nearer the time when they ask. I did it once, and I'd want more than a fiver to do it again. Besides, it takes up drinking time!!!
Old 27 Sep 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1418116)   #14
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
Best to download form and send that in. If you're reading this then you can access it. Those who don't have internet access have a problem.
This seems a bit contradictary from the BMMC.
The Club say they cannot/wil not send Trackside/Regional newsletters out by email as "Not Everyone has Internet Access" but now they are expecting us to download the GP form from the Internet! Make your mind up!
Old 27 Sep 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1418137)   #15
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
Forms were not sent out in Trackside for whatever reason, but regional newsletters should have them. Problem there though is timing. South Mids won't be issuing their next newsletter till early Nov - tad too late for completing and sending in. Regarding other clubs - ask them.

Thurs is an option if you want to watch the safety car etc doing high speed laps between watching the grass grow - yes it is that boring - then volunteer for it nearer the time when they ask. I did it once, and I'd want more than a fiver to do it again. Besides, it takes up drinking time!!!

I can confirm as the SE BMMC Newsletter was only despatched recently, the Regional Secretary, Chris Stoddard will be sending out the notification of the AGM and the 2006 GP volunteering form as a separate mailshot in the very near future to SE Region Members
Old 28 Sep 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1419178)   #16
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
The Club say they cannot/wil not send Trackside/Regional newsletters out by email as "Not Everyone has Internet Access" but now they are expecting us to download the GP form from the Internet! Make your mind up!
Oh come on! I am sure the editors or whoever is responsible for Trackside will explain why the forms didn't go out with the latest edition, but I am equally sure there is a valid reason, even if it was human error! None of us is perfect! The fact the form is available on the internet is helpful but is not the panacea obviously.

A lot of marshals belong to more than one club, and maybe they can get the form from them?? Or maybe not? I'm sure it will turn out OK in the end.

Last edited by Clive; 28 Sep 2005 at 17:50. Reason: fingers in a muddle (xs of red wine)
Old 28 Sep 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1419206)   #17
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Trackside is a glossy type production and could not really be expected to be sent on the internet. The reason why the 2006 Application Form (BGP) was not in Trackside is quite simple! My latest edition had already arrived by snail-mail BEFORE the MSA issued their requirements for BGP 2006.
Secondly, I have already stated on this site how the SE Region of the BMMC will deal, promptly and efficiently with the situation. I am sure other Regions will follow suit!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1419256)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Clive, AG,
You both seemed to have missed my point.
I'm not criticising the fact there's no form with Trackside - just saying that the BMMC were against making articles available on the Internet as not all the membership was online. By making the BGP form available to download just seems to go against what they said previously. BTW, it's a damned good idea to make it availabe in this way!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1419271)   #19
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the point about not publishing Trackside by email was to do with VAT and tax and stuff like that?
Old 28 Sep 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1419297)   #20
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not sure yet, but I might be marshalling the GP, and would be the first time I would have actually been to watch F1 cars (Although I did go to the World Series by Renault and the Renault F104 car was there and was amazing) but to get that close to the cars would be mega!!
That if I got a track side marshalls post
Old 28 Sep 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1419344)   #21
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
I thought the point about not publishing Trackside by email was to do with VAT and tax and stuff like that?
I am sure you are probably right!!, However, we have to go back to the two original points: One, not all Marshals have access to the Internet; and Two; I am sure that Trackside is not suitable to be scanned in this way! Stuff like VAT and taxe IS probably immaterial!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 06:31 (Ref:1419606)   #22
peter maxworthy
Rookie

England
Grimsby uk
peter maxworthy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have sent form today.Thanks
Old 30 Sep 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1420775)   #23
Chris Hobson
Veteran

There are times.....................

Trackside was published before I got the forms form the MSA. As part of our service to members and other marshals I scanned the forms, tidied them up and put them on ten-tenths as soon as I could. I also sent them to all our regional chairmen and newsletter editors so they can be sent out in the post as normal.

I suggest Mark Mitchell should try to look at the positive side of what we are doing instead of finding fault with everything - I prefer my glass to be half full than half empty.

We do have a problem with VAT on e-mail magazines, so these will continue to be sent out in paper format. If Mark or anyone esle would like to make a positive contribution to, publish, distribute or help in any way with communications to members then I would welcome their efforts with open arms.

In the meantime can I please ask everyone who reads this thread to pass on the information about volunteering for the GP to all their friends ( you could even printout a few blank copies of the forms and take them with you when you go marshalling) so as many as possible get the chance to volunteer.

I am sorry about the tight timescale but it is completely out of my control.

Regards

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 30 Sep 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1420784)   #24
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the reply Chris I thought that would be the answer but your initial post did not mention they would be circulated in the normal manner as well.

See you around the circuits soon.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1420960)   #25
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
I suggest Mark Mitchell should try to look at the positive side of what we are doing instead of finding fault with everything

I try.......I DO honestly try

I didn't realise I found fault with EVERYTHING!

........(From my earlier post.....)
"I'm not criticising the fact there's no form with Trackside - just saying that the BMMC were against making articles available on the Internet as not all the membership was online. By making the BGP form available to download just seems to go against what they said previously. BTW, it's a damned good idea to make it availabe in this way!"

How is that really a negative comment Chris?