Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 30 Jul 2021, 13:45 (Ref:4063978)   #3751
BTCC frog
Racer

BTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0U170NS View Post
100% agree with this. Look at where F1 has gone without Bernie.
The BTCC probably would get more fans and money with some change, but from a selfish point of view, I haven't been too keen on all the extra publicity that F1 has had the last few years, and think that the slightly old-fashioned nature of the BTCC adds to the charm of the sport. So I would prefer for Gow to remain in charge,.
Old 30 Jul 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4063986)   #3752
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone will have to replace Gow eventually, even he stays in charge beyond 2026, anyway roll on Oulton Park and Jack Mitchell's debut.
Old 30 Jul 2021, 15:31 (Ref:4063993)   #3753
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
I actually think the BTCC could do with Gow stepping away soon. Times move on and for a few years now the BTCC has been behind the times interaction wise. There's so much more the series could be doing social media wise, particularly on YouTube. 7 hour live broadcasts on ITV4 aren't the way you bring new fans in. The at the track experience is a bit better, excluding the last couple of years obviously, but even there there is so many easy things they could be doing that other series around the world have pioneered. The series just seems rather stuck in it's ways is all, which while it's still successful isn't really a big problem, just disappointing.
The BTCC's biggest problem is ITV.

- Qualifying coverage is restricted to a poor quality stream which is only available to watch live and not outside the UK. The on-demand race videos contain no pre or post-race coverage, and in the event of a red-flagged race/aborted start the original start is omitted, so there's little context as to what's going on. I can't even see the 2021 races on the ITV site.

- The live TV coverage will often feature the presenters waffling on about something or other when there's a support race on (seriously, who thinks it's a good idea to deliberately NOT show racing?).

- The coverage that the support package gets is disgraceful. You'll never see the Saturday races unless you're at the track, and I bet there's a very small percentage of fans who are able to attend full weekends at each round in order to see them, even in non-covid times. Of course, the exception to this is the final event, where ITV do actually bother to put some effort in. Some of the Sunday races either won't be shown, or will only be shown in the form of very brief highlights.

I personally don't understand why the top class of the MINI Challenge joined the package, because it's getting the worst coverage it's had for years. From 2013-15 it had a highlights package on TV and on Youtube where the videos can still be seen, featuring every race; 2016-18 was highlights on TV only but all of the races were covered; 2019 had full-season live streaming on Youtube and the races can still be watched. Since joining the TOCA package only about 70-ish% of the races have been shown in any form (and that number might be generous).

It's pretty ridiculous, considering the fact that it's possible for me, a person in the UK, to freely and legally watch full events from Italy, Germany, Australia, Japan, etc. as well as full club events in the UK, but I can't watch full events from the highest-profile package in my home country.

In short, ITV is **** and they don't care.

On a more positive note, I'm quite looking forward to seeing how Jack Mitchell gets on. He's quite the handy pedaller.
Old 30 Jul 2021, 18:07 (Ref:4064019)   #3754
hen henths
Rookie

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post

- Qualifying coverage is restricted to a poor quality stream which is only available to watch live and not outside the UK. The on-demand race videos contain no pre or post-race coverage, and in the event of a red-flagged race/aborted start the original start is omitted, so there's little context as to what's going on. I can't even see the 2021 races on the ITV site.
I've noticed the time they take to put race videos on their website is incredibly inconsistent. Occasionally it'll be a few hours but it can also be a day or two, a whole week, or in some cases it seemed like a race video would never appear (maybe they took months, I don't know). For a professional TV channel, it just leaves the impression that maybe someone who's normally occupied with some other more important job has to remember to upload the races. It can't be a very high priority for the channel.
Old 30 Jul 2021, 18:22 (Ref:4064021)   #3755
mj088
Racer

mj088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I personally don't understand why the top class of the MINI Challenge joined the package, because it's getting the worst coverage it's had for years. From 2013-15 it had a highlights package on TV and on Youtube where the videos can still be seen, featuring every race; 2016-18 was highlights on TV only but all of the races were covered; 2019 had full-season live streaming on Youtube and the races can still be watched. Since joining the TOCA package only about 70-ish% of the races have been shown in any form (and that number might be generous).
I dont understand the place for the Mini's on the BTCC roster at all, it seems to be a different variation of Mini Challenge every round so as someone not attending the events and not familiar with the classes, its very difficult to get into the series and follow a driver or championship battle as you can with say Ginetta Jnr or Porsche's or even the old Clio's when you have no idea who or what will be racing at each round.
Old 30 Jul 2021, 20:36 (Ref:4064051)   #3756
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

- The live TV coverage will often feature the presenters waffling on about something or other when there's a support race on (seriously, who thinks it's a good idea to deliberately NOT show racing?).

- The coverage that the support package gets is disgraceful. You'll never see the Saturday races unless you're at the track, and I bet there's a very small percentage of fans who are able to attend full weekends at each round in order to see them, even in non-covid times. Of course, the exception to this is the final event, where ITV do actually bother to put some effort in. Some of the Sunday races either won't be shown, or will only be shown in the form of very brief highlights.

It's pretty ridiculous, considering the fact that it's possible for me, a person in the UK, to freely and legally watch full events from Italy, Germany, Australia, Japan, etc. as well as full club events in the UK, but I can't watch full events from the highest-profile package in my home country.

In short, ITV is **** and they don't care.

On a more positive note, I'm quite looking forward to seeing how Jack Mitchell gets on. He's quite the handy pedaller.

Wow and I thought having to wait a week for a half an hour of highlights in the 90s was bad! Just imagine what that would have been like last year when no one was allowed to attend….

At least this is a motorsport that is live on FTA. What I would do to get every F1 race live on FTA again. In fact I would be happy if it was like a few years ago when half the races were live…
Old 30 Jul 2021, 21:00 (Ref:4064053)   #3757
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could be worse, it could be on Eurosport.
Old 30 Jul 2021, 22:12 (Ref:4064057)   #3758
hen henths
Rookie

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Wow and I thought having to wait a week for a half an hour of highlights in the 90s was bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Could be worse, it could be on Eurosport.
Very good points. We should be grateful for what we have!
Old 30 Jul 2021, 22:40 (Ref:4064060)   #3759
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Very good points. We should be grateful for what we have!
Every cloud has a silver lining. Anyway, what makes the BTCC great these days is its unpredictability, which is more than can be said for F1 in recent years.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 18:33 (Ref:4064271)   #3760
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best thing and the worst thing about the BTCC is the tv coverage. It's great because it gets it in front of so many people who otherwise wouldn't see it. The flip side of that is that the contract prevents it from being shown on services that appeal to the younger generation. There will come a tipping point though if they're not careful.