Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 Jul 2021, 19:58 (Ref:4064289)   #1381
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
In the UK you are no longer allowed to call them anything but "travellers" if you do then you get called a lot worse by the internet police.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 20:27 (Ref:4064297)   #1382
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Tsssssss Only of you own a brand new Bimmer or Benz, the previous models dont look so much attractive to some eyes. It works with Sprinters and Ivecos too!
it depends which type of gens de voyage. we were robbed by some many years ago. they took a crap frying pan, my mum’s old gardening outfit and a screwdriver… around where i live now in england, they steal anything that’s easy and they can load their rubbish into and dump in a layby

i’m sure the matter will be, erm, “taken care of” and they’ll be encouraged to seek alternative parking. i’m sure they’re peaceful, law abiding people but their neighbours are about to get REALLY noisy
Old Yesterday, 07:43 (Ref:4064386)   #1383
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
but their neighbours are about to get REALLY noisy
Ho YES, really noisy. When we had the Matras and other rotary engine powered cars, even the rabbits in the woods had to be relocated for a while!
Old Yesterday, 15:44 (Ref:4064612)   #1384
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
In the UK you are no longer allowed to call them anything but "travellers" if you do then you get called a lot worse by the internet police.
3.14-keys
Old Yesterday, 18:20 (Ref:4064652)   #1385
Michel Vaillant
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
For those, if any, wondering what we're talking about atm, "travelers" in french is gens du voyage. I know you'll find other translations but…
They are also named "gipsys". I know some of them, who wear their heart on their sleeves Maybe at Beauséjour they are early for the 24 and, why not, the return of Mercedes
Old Today, 07:29 (Ref:4064781)   #1386
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tout a fait d'accord avec vous, Michel Vaillant. I also know some of them, really nice people. As you say, may be they are on site for the fête foraine. What would be Le Mans and the Dunlop curve without la grande roue, I wonder?!

Last edited by Gerard C; Today at 07:42.
Old Today, 07:29 (Ref:4064782)   #1387
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the two posts from vince and michel contain words that are very much considered slurs or insults in the uk. so if you find yourself over here, don’t use them
Old Today, 07:42 (Ref:4064785)   #1388
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Just hope the words "guitar" and "caravane" are allowed…
Old Today, 09:08 (Ref:4064817)   #1389
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Can you imagine how people who live in Gypsy Hill London feel when they see all the sign posts taken down for being offensive, we live in a mad world for sure.
Old Today, 09:16 (Ref:4064821)   #1390
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i mean, the way it works globally is that if a community didn’t give itself that name, it was given by outsiders then it’s not appropriate. that doesn’t seem hugely out of order to me. the place name is a tricky one and i’m pretty sure travelling people who still live in a certain way are happy with being called that same word but generally it’s not a great word to call them.

you’ll have to pry “frogs” out of my cold dead hands though
Old Today, 11:57 (Ref:4064855)   #1391
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Exactly, it's more offensive if someone more superior gives them that nickname. I'm not one for PC, but there is a limit. It's a tricky one though, depends what the actual meaning of the place is and if was never meant to cause offence. Probably best left up to the authorities
Old Today, 12:15 (Ref:4064862)   #1392
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Can you imagine how people who live in Gypsy Hill London feel when they see all the sign posts taken down for being offensive, we live in a mad world for sure.

Traveler's Hill?