Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Aug 2021, 18:37 (Ref:4070033)   #1551
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's a bit of a list of stuff about attending this year's race from my perspective - pluses and negatives. It might read like a criticism of the ACO in places. It isn't - they had a tough job getting the race on and I'm thankful for them making it happen.

What I'm concerned about long-term was that if things worked "well enough" then they'll just stick with them, especially if it's a cost saving.

- I found entry to the circuit worked well. No issues with the app, tickets, etc. Never once queued.
- The killer was only three public entrances. It exponentially increased the amount of walking you had to do, combined with the lack of campsites. It was soul destroying how close we were to our pitch in Houx Annexe on the other side of the wall, only to have to walk out of a designated main exit and all the way around.
- On the plus side the circuit shuttle service seemed much more frequent. If you could get on one/could be bothered queuing.
- Food. Not sure if it was us who got unlucky, but having less vendors meant massive queues for food at peak times. You would not know there was a lack of spectators from the food queues.
- RLM/FM. As others have said - this was tough in the sense that you have a roughly 30-40 second delay on what's happening. More significantly you're also burning through data and your phone battery for 24 hours plus all practice sessions. Combined with no electricity on the campsites - it's a good job we had (multiple) big power packs. From a selfish UK perspective it was also a good job the roaming charges aren't back yet. As this would be a massive, costly issue next year. My provider was fine, Ben who I went with really struggled to get signal. Circuit WiFi extremely patchy - can't be relied on and you had to keep re-signing up. I really hope that RLM's relationship with the ACO can be re-strengthened going forward and they are able to make everything work from a cost perspective next year.
- This isn't so much a criticism, I just found the security/searching to be very inconsistent. We had no searches at all at the campsite - been glass searched every year previously. I had my bag searched I think twice the whole race week and never at the main entrance we used. Fine by me. It's swings and roundabouts though because we got let into Mulsanne without having a parking pass.
- The village was a bit sad compared to other years. Understandably the manufacturers and teams pulled all their activation/spend right back. But there was still a lot of foot traffic and people who could have been reached. Only really seemed like Alpine making an effort on the fan engagement front.
- Masks. A necessary evil I guess - although returning to Manchester city centre was WILD after being told to put a mask on for days. The UK really is done with them it seems. Wearing masks was enforced by occasional walk-bys from stewards. Let's see what happens going forward, but when you're sat out at Indy or Mulsanne it feels a bit much. Just my personal opinion - everyone is in a different place with it.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 08:36 (Ref:4070443)   #1552
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had much the same experience, Only minor queues for QR code scanning, bigger wait for bag check.

Driving around was great without the traffic though!

But driving through Arnage was all a bit sad, the roadworks not helping. But they appear to have made the centre in to a red light district, all of the streetlights have red lighting wrapped around them!

TBh we felt safer from Covid there than here in the UK!

I didn't bother with RLM and I didn't really miss it, plenty of team info from social media, the WEC/LM app gave good timing info, and the big screens too.

Food at the circuit seemed a bit random in quality, but heyho I doubt that's any different to normal!

Coming back home and not wearing a mask did feel somewhat weird after a couple of weeks that's for sure.

Having the right paperwork to hand when travelling with Brittany Ferries made things go smoothly for us, but based on the slow progress of some cars through check-in I would guess they weren't properly prepared!

Mulsanne was strange without the camping, but the usual facilities were there, same at Arnage.

Managed to get a sneak peak at the cars at Arnage on test day due to the little bank where the road was changed a few years ago when they put the roundabout in, first time I have watched from that point, so that was a bonus!

It was great to catch up with friends after a couple of years.

All in all we were so glad we went, we wouldn't have missed it for the world, and we can say we were there in 2021
Old 26 Aug 2021, 08:45 (Ref:4070444)   #1553
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All good feedback. One thing that interested me was masks. I had understood that wearing a mask was mandatory at all times but I saw loads of spectators on the stream with no masks in public areas, viewing banks, grandstands etc. In fact, I'd say that certainly by Sunday, the majority weren't wearing masks....
Old 26 Aug 2021, 09:16 (Ref:4070452)   #1554
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
We all took off masks once through the gates, only put the on when we went into shops/buildings, first day a few were wearing masks walking around but after that very few wearing them outside or in the grandstand. In the campsite again masks were really seen.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 09:41 (Ref:4070457)   #1555
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's what I thought Simon but I had understood that wearing a mask in all public areas (inside or outside) had been declared to be obligatory? Not that it was ever likely to happen!
Old 26 Aug 2021, 09:44 (Ref:4070459)   #1556
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
inside the paddock was weird with masks too. the odd circuit steward would remind you to cover your nose if you weren't doing so in the back of the garages but otherwise i saw a great many people just not wearing them, particularly after the race week pcr test.

the new case rate is steadily high like it is in the uk, but as much as some people get their knickers in a twist about the pass sanitaire it really does help live normally again at big events like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
Having the right paperwork to hand when travelling with Brittany Ferries made things go smoothly for us, but based on the slow progress of some cars through check-in I would guess they weren't properly prepared!
the tunnel was difficult - they insisted on pre-uploading of certificates to do pre-checks, otherwise you had to go into the terminal to have an eyeball check. kept queues away from check in i suppose but meant that those of us who were just too busy to sort it all out (or if you were me, were driving so couldn't upload test results) in the run up to coming home got delayed. which didn't matter in the end because it took ages to get through passport checks. we ended up on a crossing an hour later than the one we had a tag for.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 11:03 (Ref:4070467)   #1557
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
People got asked a couple of times in the grandstands to put masks on. Quite amusingly by a steward with his mask hanging well below his nose.

Even had some guys come by at Mulsanne and asked people to put them on. But for most people once they'd gone they dropped back down to the chin area. Certainly no one's chins will have got COVID.

I think anyone coming into the campsites asking for masks to be worn would have been sent packing - plus they were deemed outside the confines of the circuit anyway.

Anyway Day 2 test all-clear. Antigen test kit we took with us worked perfect.
Old 28 Aug 2021, 15:54 (Ref:4070799)   #1558
sunny_hi
Rookie

United States
sunny_hi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey all, just got back to the states. Glad to have attended this 89th edition amidst the ever changing Covid regulations. Very bummed not able to meet most of you at the said spot. I was getting tested (testing needed even if vax) so I could get my paddock pass. Apparently spitting out 2ml of saliva is quite challenging. I did my grid walk as well. Sharing some pics here if ok.