Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 26 Sep 2021, 22:34 (Ref:4075768)   #151
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’ve just ordered a couple of thermal blankets.
I've had some cold nights at the track in previous years, but that was always at least a month earlier than we get this year! I sleep in a stocking cap often, but the last few years have actually been nice. I'm debating the cot vs air mattress now. sometimes the air mattress can conduct the cold from the ground into your body, but i need to try out my two different cots before we go to see if I like that sleeping experience.
Old 27 Sep 2021, 13:49 (Ref:4075906)   #152
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But remember a cot has air under it and can suck the heat from you too, coldest I've been camping was on a sht army cot. But you probably don't make air mattresses explode sleeping on them so there's that
Old 28 Sep 2021, 15:02 (Ref:4076119)   #153
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been considering getting a cot because I hate blowup mattresses. I know, I don't sleep on the ground at PLM anymore but for other camping....

I still haven't gotten my ticket but I think the consensus would be I should get the camping pass and not parking pass, right? Worst case, I'm parking over by the comfort station regardless...
Old 28 Sep 2021, 16:35 (Ref:4076139)   #154
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
RX7Mandingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to be my first PLM but have been to the Rolex.
Would love to meet up/hang out with fellow race fans during the weekend. I'll be getting there Thursday morning hopefully around 8-10. Gonna do a gumbo cookout Saturday during the race and all are welcome to come by.
Old 28 Sep 2021, 16:43 (Ref:4076143)   #155
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7Mandingo View Post
Going to be my first PLM but have been to the Rolex.
Would love to meet up/hang out with fellow race fans during the weekend. I'll be getting there Thursday morning hopefully around 8-10. Gonna do a gumbo cookout Saturday during the race and all are welcome to come by.
Hey, we are regulars at Petit and would, of course, not say no to free food! We camp in turn 4, and this year they forced (some) of us to buy reserved spots, Others can fill you in on which numbers we have.

Do you know where you will be setting up camp? Where are you travelling from?
Old 28 Sep 2021, 19:09 (Ref:4076175)   #156
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Hey, we are regulars at Petit and would, of course, not say no to free food! We camp in turn 4, and this year they forced (some) of us to buy reserved spots, Others can fill you in on which numbers we have.

Currently I count the 3 reserved spots, and at least 5 camping passes including that group of foreign interlopers some fat guy invited. That's not including Thomas if he comes and any other crashers. By my estimate we have everything from the tree to the top of the hill and back to the comfort station for me to defend
Old 28 Sep 2021, 20:11 (Ref:4076187)   #157
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

Not sure where I'm setting up camp yet. I'm thinking near the Esses or possibily near the turn 10a/b area.

I'm driving up from the Jacksonville, Florida area, planning on leaving around 2 or 3 Thursday morning hopefully, if i can get my girlfriend outta bed.

Biggest thing I'm worried about is one of my friend's that coming tends to enjoy smokeable herbal products, and while I don't partake, I don't want to bother anyone elsae at the track that might be nearby and notice. I'm a former cook though and plan on cooking a good bit myself and always share. I usually do a big pot of jambalaya and some sort of fancy brat/sausages
Old 28 Sep 2021, 20:21 (Ref:4076189)   #158
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Not sure where I'm setting up camp yet. I'm thinking near the Esses or possibily near the turn 10a/b area.

I'm driving up from the Jacksonville, Florida area, planning on leaving around 2 or 3 Thursday morning hopefully, if i can get my girlfriend outta bed.

Biggest thing I'm worried about is one of my friend's that coming tends to enjoy smokeable herbal products, and while I don't partake, I don't want to bother anyone elsae at the track that might be nearby and notice. I'm a former cook though and plan on cooking a good bit myself and always share. I usually do a big pot of jambalaya and some sort of fancy brat/sausages
If past years are any indication, you might be getting there a bit late and looking for good space. Hopefully small car and bravery, usually if you can find an in you can get to the inside of the areas above the Esses. BUT they have made more reserved in that lower area and it's a bit slopey at the bottom. We are above that just about even with the entry of Turn 4, it gets crowded quick. I'm in fairly early in the week and can keep an eye for ya and possibly guide you to any open spots if I catch ya on. Late morning to mid-day Thursday might not be too bad.

One of the other members here camps by Turn 10 and can give you more guidance on that side of the track but they have made some changes over that way. We heard a few angry Turn 10 long term campers last year when they were kicked out so I don't know.

As for the other stuff burning, well concern might not be so needed there.

I'm not a professional cook by any means, I also would be the grumpiest, wtf do you want cook on the planet and cooks generally aren't the happiest bunch of folks so..... But I do bring a fairly stocked kitchen myself, shut up field it's only fairly stocked compared to home for some of us, and do a fair bit of cooking. Bringing my new pellet grill toy and maybe ribs and brisket if I'm feeling flush.
Old 28 Sep 2021, 20:36 (Ref:4076191)   #159
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post

I'm not a professional cook by any means, I also would be the grumpiest, wtf do you want cook on the planet and cooks generally aren't the happiest bunch of folks so..... But I do bring a fairly stocked kitchen myself, shut up field it's only fairly stocked compared to home for some of us, and do a fair bit of cooking. Bringing my new pellet grill toy and maybe ribs and brisket if I'm feeling flush.
Yeah I'm bringing a bit of a mobile kitchen myself. Packing up a propane grill/stove, along with my griddle. Just bring a propane and feel free to use whatever. I've been camping my whole life and been track camping with my dad all over the southeast when he raced CCS so have been to RA quite a few times, just not since they took out gravity cavity.

Looking at the camping map it lloks like I might shoot for the turn 5 or 9 areas, but hopefully I can find something open. There's 2 groups of us coming so I might need a bit of space. I'll be easy to find cause I'll have all the Mazda flags and signage. I'd bring my Rolex tire as a talking peice, but I'd be too paranoid someone would walk off with it.
Old 28 Sep 2021, 20:38 (Ref:4076193)   #160
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I'd bring my Rolex tire as a talking peice, but I'd be too paranoid someone would walk off with it.
Ask joeb about people walking off with good sht trackside. Think he might still want to stab someone repeatedly for his sign walking away
Old 28 Sep 2021, 21:04 (Ref:4076197)   #161
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Ask joeb about people walking off with good sht trackside. Think he might still want to stab someone repeatedly for his sign walking away
I wouldn't blame him. I'm not worried about my camping gear, but at the 2020 Rolex I talked the Mazda team into letting me have one of their used tires. Needless to say if I caught someone stealing it things wouldn't end gladly.
Old 29 Sep 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4076334)   #162
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
I wouldn't blame him. I'm not worried about my camping gear, but at the 2020 Rolex I talked the Mazda team into letting me have one of their used tires. Needless to say if I caught someone stealing it things wouldn't end gladly.
I use to have a nice Camel GT banner (see my avatar pic) but it left its tree one day while i was walking around the track.
Old 30 Sep 2021, 00:39 (Ref:4076356)   #163
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's not the only thing to go missing in T4....
Old 30 Sep 2021, 23:52 (Ref:4076457)   #164
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Trying to work out when to arrive. Wednesday late or Thursday morning. Wednesday is looking like a push - it's a bit of a trek, in a good way.

What is the event schedule like? It's still tbd on the website. https://roadatlanta.com/motul-petit-le-mans#

TV Schedule suggests that racing starts noon on Thursday? https://www.imsa.com/events/2021-motul-petit-le-mans/
Old 1 Oct 2021, 01:02 (Ref:4076460)   #165
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, last year there was nothing on track all day Wed. It used to be paid test day Tuesday, Wednesday was Porsche Challenge, Lights, and Michelin Cup practice 1 or test day. Thursday at 11ish is the IMSA FP1, and usually 1045 is a cloud of test around a certain minivan drifting in at high speed.

After checking the actual schedule, surprised I haven't been emailed that already by the track but they're busy grading and screwing things up so they're busy, it looks like Wednesday will actually have on track practice sessions. i forgot we have Mazdas again and 3 911 rounds. The official schedule still says TBD, the track posts it fairly early so I would expect in the next week or so.

TL;DR, show up Thursday and you'll get everyone on track. Show up Wednesday and you'll likely get 911, Mazdas and possibly Prototype Challenge

How many camping passes do you have? Fat guy needs to defend space from intruders
Old 1 Oct 2021, 01:26 (Ref:4076462)   #166
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’d be up for late Wednesday, but we’d have to make an effort and would arrive quite late and not arsed about setting up the tent in the dark. Sunset is 7ish I think.

Just one camping pass. They’ll be one small car and one average tent for two.
Old 1 Oct 2021, 01:48 (Ref:4076465)   #167
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, I have not seen any movement for the DST changes in Congress, hell we can't figure how to spend money in that room so something small like time?? No chance.

We've had more than a few dark arrivers and night tent setup. I'm not a fan and by dark I'm drinking liquor and there will be a cigar going so not much help. I can probably defend some space by parking my truck in the way.
Old 1 Oct 2021, 02:27 (Ref:4076469)   #168
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I'm noonish on Thursday ETA. I'm still waiting to hear from my brother on his commitment level but he'll be fine in his coffin tent
Old 1 Oct 2021, 13:20 (Ref:4076516)   #169
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
Where do y'all setup camp? Looks like I'm now leaving Jacksonville around 2 or 3am with an estimated arrival time of 8 or 9 Thursday morning
Old 1 Oct 2021, 14:30 (Ref:4076533)   #170
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Where do y'all setup camp? Looks like I'm now leaving Jacksonville around 2 or 3am with an estimated arrival time of 8 or 9 Thursday morning
This is approximate
Old 1 Oct 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4076541)   #171
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tip for you guys: bottom of the IMSA website, you'll see a link "For Competitors." Usually have the event schedules on there before they're published anywhere else

https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo...PLM-093021.pdf
Old 1 Oct 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4076549)   #172
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I'm sure the schedule will be pretty much the same as it has been for the last 3 or 4 years...
Old 1 Oct 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4076555)   #173
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Tip for you guys: bottom of the IMSA website, you'll see a link "For Competitors." Usually have the event schedules on there before they're published anywhere else

https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo...PLM-093021.pdf
Most every Petit has been amended so it's tough to use that. I've tried in the past but it's been poor. They do usually get Thursday afternoon right though, but back counting from night practice is easy
Old 1 Oct 2021, 22:26 (Ref:4076581)   #174
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
So 2 Mazda races, 3 Porsche cup races, proto challenge and Conti tires race

Not a bad lineup.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 00:34 (Ref:4076600)   #175
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Well Dad’s coming and he’s got 1 Mazda and 2 Porsche! I believe their on Michelins though Actually the Mazda is Mum’s.