Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 6 Jan 2007, 18:29 (Ref:1808334)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift + Suzuki 600cc Motorcycle Engine.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...bb34ac203a.htm
Looks like a hoot to drive.

This would be so cheap to make, not to mention a load of fun. I am thinking about making one eventually.

Discuss this, and other weird swaps here.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 19:19 (Ref:1808370)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gonna shift this over to road cars as think it would be better there...
Old 6 Jan 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1808377)   #3
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Ah, ok, thanks, I wasn't sure if I was to put it here or in Parc Ferme, as this is a little Wild.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1808709)   #4
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see that they took it to a proper test track, free from obsticles one might find on a road such as bulldozer, and that all concerned were kitted out in the proper safety equipment...
Old 7 Jan 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1808766)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Stig, stop being such a nanny.

Didn't think it was that impressive. Sure, produced a lot of revs and made a nice noise but it didn't seem that quick. And that's before you add more weight by added back the remaining body panels, glass, etc.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1808828)   #6
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Stig, stop being such a nanny.
No. People doing things like that is a prime reason why I pay over the odds for car insurance for starters. Racing and testing should be kept to the track.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 15:18 (Ref:1808869)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Fair enough, but I think you need to lighten up. It's not the first time you've posted like a Health & Safety inspector.

If this had been on a normal street with pedestrians and other road traffic then I might agree with you. As it was this was clearly a closed construction site. Aside from the parked road roller (not bulldozer) the only people or vehicles in the area where those from the group testing the car.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 15:24 (Ref:1808871)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
No. People doing things like that is a prime reason why I pay over the odds for car insurance for starters. Racing and testing should be kept to the track.
That would not affect your insurance because there is no way in hell they would be covered by any insurance under any circumstances
Old 7 Jan 2007, 21:29 (Ref:1809087)   #9
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
That would not affect your insurance because there is no way in hell they would be covered by any insurance under any circumstances
Not in that unfinished state perhaps but insurance for a conversion really shouldn't be any more problem than for a kit car, just don't bother calling any insurers involving dogs, pachyderms, giant telephones or mice who live in mice....
Old 7 Jan 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1809108)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Besides, how do you know they don't own part of that land they are on? I know its highly unlikely, but you never know.

Ok, lets get back to talking about the Geo lol.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 23:16 (Ref:1809173)   #11
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
Not in that unfinished state perhaps but insurance for a conversion really shouldn't be any more problem than for a kit car, just don't bother calling any insurers involving dogs, pachyderms, giant telephones or mice who live in mice....
Yes that is fair, but I was considering the video.
The thing is missing half of the radiator support panel which must present some difficulties for engineering/road approval. I doubt it has a reverse gear either!
Old 7 Jan 2007, 23:23 (Ref:1809176)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Nope, no reverse. Here's a page with some pics of the car, and the buildup of the diff.
http://www.psiman.net/geo1.htm
Old 8 Jan 2007, 16:21 (Ref:1809723)   #13
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
there's quite a few bike engined kit cars around, many of them use an additional reverse box. I don't know much about them but I understand they don't make very good everyday use road cars
Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:22 (Ref:1809761)   #14
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Some of them have electric motors to reverse, although I do belive Quaife make a reversing box in favour to some builders.

Bike engine conversions for hot hatches are getting more popular, but the norm seems to be to put the engine in the space where the rear seats go - Z Cars did this with their mini conversion, and there's another company who are doing the same with cars like puntos, Fiestas etc.

The problem with doing that - is you lose the boot space, so they're not too practical!
Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:38 (Ref:1809776)   #15
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Not practical at all but what you do get is a car for track days that is also road legal (Well it will be when they finish it )

I recall reading somewhere that one of the problems with bike engines is lots of power but not a huge amount of tourque which makes them difficult in traffic.