Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What should be in store for Bruni
Bruni is nothing special. He'd be happy to keep his seat there. 1 4.76%
Bruni is certainly an ok driver. Fast, but not sensational. He should be happy testing at one of the topteams. 13 61.90%
Bruni is mighty impressive. One of the topteams should at least grand him a test to see what he can do in a real car. 3 14.29%
Bruni is worthless and should be no more than a footnote in F1 history after this season is over. 2 9.52%
Something else. 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 May 2004, 07:52 (Ref:978464)   #1
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Bruni sadly being overlooked?

Gianmaria Bruni, Minardi-warrior, is totally dominating teammate Zsolt Baumgartner. Not unlike Gene was dominating Mazzacane, Alonso was dominating Marques and Yoong and Webber that same Yoong and Davidson (up to a point, I still believe Davidson did an awesome job those GP's).

Both Alonso and Webber shot through to F1 stardom and therefor hot property amongst teamowners, whereas Gene did well in picking up a serious developmenttask.

But how about Bruni? I wouldn't directly say that Baumgartner is beneath Yoong or Mazzacane, but somehow Bruni doesn't seem to be heading for the big times. He nearly ever gets mentioned. Why is that? Isn't he doing what he is supposed to be doing, meaning thrashing Baumgartner even harder, or is it that he, unlike Alonso and Webber, didn't really make a name for himself in other classes?

Both Webber and Alonso were acknowledged talents when they got in the Minardi, and them beating their teammates hands down was seen as confirmation of that talent. Bruni did some friday-drives at Minardi in 2003. On those occasions he wasn't really troubled in keeping up with experienced Jos Verstappen. Sure, the Verstappen-people were quick to point out that Bruni was running in low fuel and new tyres, but if that is the only thing you need in your first outings in an F1car to match a much more experienced (and presumably quick) driver, than you are doing a hell of a job. Kiesa was absolutely no match for Bruni.

Is there a future in F1 for Bruni?
Should there be a future in F1 for Bruni?
Old 22 May 2004, 08:13 (Ref:978488)   #2
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
future . could be . but i don;t think it will be with a top team .i can't see him with more then Minardi or Jordan at the moment ..

Ciao Marco
Old 22 May 2004, 09:48 (Ref:978566)   #3
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he's certainly better than Baumgartner, but i think it's hard to judge.

Baumgartner is probably even worse than Alex Yoong. I mean, he hasnt won anything of the slightest importance.

And we cant really see Bruni upagainst any of the other drivers, because the Minardi is so much worse than even Jordan.

Many people noticed, that Bruni was faster than Kiesa in the last three friday-tests last year, but that was with better material and lower fuel than Kiesa had. So i'm not really sure. But i guess he could become a test driver for a big team, or maybe get a seat at Sauber or Jaguar.
Old 22 May 2004, 09:50 (Ref:978567)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Beating their team-mates wasn't really what got Webber or Alonso noticed though. Webber's testing times at Renault, and the fact that Alonso was able to run ahead of mroe impressive cars, as well as their excellent F3000 records and support from Flavio, were much bigger factors.

Also, thanks to the Friday testing you mention, Bruni is effectively more experienced that Baumgartner, whereas Alonso was much less experienced than Marques, and Webber about equal to Yoong (and more of his experience was ina top-level car, which is less use for Minardi. So I think this is a very different case.

All the same, Bruni does seem to be doing pretty respectably. Consdiering the car's apparent total lack of reliability and drivability, he's doing well to keep it on track.
Old 22 May 2004, 10:11 (Ref:978586)   #5
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Massa, Sato and Klien would do a better job in the Minardi. On the other hand, i can imagin Bruni would do better as the ones mentioned, driving Sauber, BAR or Jaguar. Anyway it's hard to tell. I certainly hope he gets his change to show his abilities in a better car.
Old 22 May 2004, 16:44 (Ref:978956)   #6
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruni could be the next Italian hope. Of course there's always Liuzzi....

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 22 May 2004, 16:49 (Ref:978958)   #7
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Beating their team-mates wasn't really what got Webber or Alonso noticed though. Webber's testing times at Renault, and the fact that Alonso was able to run ahead of mroe impressive cars, as well as their excellent F3000 records and support from Flavio, were much bigger factors.
Oh I don't know. The 2001 Minardi actually was a quite capable car. You couldn't expect Bruni to be anywhere near a non-Minardi car in this season.

Quote:
Also, thanks to the Friday testing you mention, Bruni is effectively more experienced that Baumgartner, whereas Alonso was much less experienced than Marques, and Webber about equal to Yoong (and more of his experience was ina top-level car, which is less use for Minardi. So I think this is a very different case.
Bruni had a go at four or five events, if I am correctly. I believe he first sat in the car at Hockenheim.

Quote:
All the same, Bruni does seem to be doing pretty respectably. Consdiering the car's apparent total lack of reliability and drivability, he's doing well to keep it on track.
Only to be outqualified by Baumgartner today
Old 22 May 2004, 20:50 (Ref:979072)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, the 2001 Minardi wasn't a capable car, remember the team was assembled quickly before the start of the season, and the cars were not much different from the M02s used in 2000...
Old 22 May 2004, 22:39 (Ref:979150)   #9
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Still, it was a good car. Compared to the opposition, it was definatly better than today's car. Besides, it was a Gustav Brunner-original, had a very effective chassis and back then Minardi had Arrows and Prost to play with. I didn't see Alonso holding on to any Jordan in 2001, allthough Jordan was doing better in those days.