Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Jul 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1667751)   #26
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi again

Something that I forgot to say.

I was in Toronto two weekends ago where the Molson Indy was being held and compared to Formula One, Champcars is so much more entertaining IMHO and far cheaper for the fan.

Also there is none of the riduculous hype, beautiful people and self seeking crap that goes with F1.........

The Americans and Canadian race officials/drivers etc are also far more friendly than those in Formula One....

I sincerely hope that when John Smith retires from clerking that the HSCC give him a special position within the Club because he has done more than anyone to make Historic Racing in the UK so excellent today....He is a great ambassdor to the sport.

Although he is now qualified to clerk International A Race Meetings now and has taken over some of John Felix's work, somehow I don't think that John would want to clerk the British Grand Prix !!!

Mnd you " Back in the Good Old Days " of Formula One, John ( if he had been around in those days with the experience that he has now - well he was around but was on the bank ) would have jumped at clerking Formula One.

Back to the German GP....

Paula

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Jul 2006 at 18:57.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1667789)   #27
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Golden oldies

Back again, third time lucky.....

Those Pre-War Sports cars that raced for an hour in the BRDC 500 were simply amazing.......What wonderful cars to survive so long.

Also all those old F1 cars were just wonderful to watch plus all the other race cars there.

The awesome different noises and smells were so nostalgic.

Roll on next year and well done to the organisers.

Paula

PS. Still suffering from Jet Lag.....The Molson Indy was 3 weeks ago...

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Jul 2006 at 18:58.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1667896)   #28
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart
Spent the day there on Saturday and really enjoyed the day, I had hoped that Silverstone might have put up video screens (like Goodwood) so that you could see more of the races. Would much prefer from a spectating point of view that the meeting be transferred to Brands were you can see a great deal more of the racing.
Maybe but I think one of the 'crowd pullers 'if you like, is the static car displays and the big open paddocks. Brands is nowhere near big enough to hold all of this. If you took that away you are basically left with the HSCC Summer Festival that Brands holds in June.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1667915)   #29
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Good Point dazbaz

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
Maybe but I think one of the 'crowd pullers 'if you like, is the static car displays and the big open paddocks. Brands is nowhere near big enough to hold all of this. If you took that away you are basically left with the HSCC Summer Festival that Brands holds in June.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1668245)   #30
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you're not Paula Hamilton the model, are you?? LOL. If you're staying in Weybridge, then you're about 2 miles from me, I'm in Shepperton.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 01:30 (Ref:1668426)   #31
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi Gary

Afraid not hon. However I have met the other Paula.

I have ben involved in Motor Racing for many years now and have worked in PR and Media for a Formula Ford team running in the UK FF Championship as well as taking photographs and writing for Karting Magazine, Autosport and Motorsport News.

Take care

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Critcher
you're not Paula Hamilton the model, are you?? LOL. If you're staying in Weybridge, then you're about 2 miles from me, I'm in Shepperton.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1668518)   #32
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
I think Brands is big enough, the static displays were only on the infield of the Silverstone club circuit. There is that huge field off Scratchers lane at Brands behind the Brabham Straight and extra fields for parking over the M20 bridge by the paddock entry.

The Silverstone Classic has lots to see and do, The Brands Superprix could easily match this. Historic racing cars and classic car club displays are a perfect match. Why not keep South Bank parking just for the car club displays? After all you cannot park your car and watch at Silverstone.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 06:58 (Ref:1668522)   #33
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Paula

It says on your certificate that comes with your pass that you must apply at least two weeks in advance for trackside. Only the smaller clubbies can you just turn up and sign on with your pass.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1668650)   #34
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi Andrew

Whoops thank you.

Since I went blonde........I am acting the part...

My friends in the USA call me DBB which means Dumb Blonde Brit ...

Never was that good at reading the small print...

Take care

Paula

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Jul 2006 at 18:59.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1668666)   #35
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the kind words Paula but I'm only part of an excellent team, which gets more right than it gets wrong by all pulling together in the same direction.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1668672)   #36
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
My pleasure John

Sure, they are an awesome team but you are in charge and as always are too modest...

Where did you hide Dave Brice.....Did not see him or his red Mazda MX 6?

Take care

Paula

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Jul 2006 at 19:00.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1668697)   #37
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge

Where did you hide Dave Brice.....Did not see him or his red Mazda MX 6?

Take care

Paula
Dave was in the pace and safety car - did an awesome job with it (as did Chris Alford and his team of Silverstone instructors). His (my 'old') MX6 was there Friday - only used on special occasions I think!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 12:08 (Ref:1668823)   #38
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
OK thanks.

Aha......That was who was driving the safety car then....

Well that's 3 awesome MX 6's that I know of now ( including mine ) owned by Motor Racing officials.

I will not tell you how fast I went ( albeit briefly ) on the way back Saturday night on an empty M40....

Have a nice day John.

Paula

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Jul 2006 at 19:01.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1668898)   #39
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What were the spectator numbers like on Sunday? I felt that numbers were low on Saturday and the atmosphere was poor in comparison to the old Coys supported meetings. Friday attracted very few spectators (no surprises there). I hope they were good Sunday because there was a lot of publicity for the event. However, there are so many historic events these days which means the public have far more choice, and I fear Silverstone doesn't have the appeal of Goodwood which has captured the public's imagination; Goodwood will always have more cache. I competed on Saturday in the BRDC 500, although oil pressure problems forced me to retire my Riley Brooklands soon after the change-over.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1668967)   #40
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Ranter
What were the spectator numbers like on Sunday? I felt that numbers were low on Saturday and the atmosphere was poor in comparison to the old Coys supported meetings. Friday attracted very few spectators (no surprises there). I hope they were good Sunday because there was a lot of publicity for the event. However, there are so many historic events these days which means the public have far more choice, and I fear Silverstone doesn't have the appeal of Goodwood which has captured the public's imagination; Goodwood will always have more cache. I competed on Saturday in the BRDC 500, although oil pressure problems forced me to retire my Riley Brooklands soon after the change-over.
We spent Sunday on Luffield terrace, having done the pits/paddocks Friday and walked the track Saturday.
Judging the size of the crowds in Luffield B, Woodcote A & B, the part of the pit straight grandstand I could see, Priory and BRDC grandstands plus the terrace itself I would say the crowd was about the same as the Friday of this years GP.
For me the Classic meeting is now far better than the Revival meeting, less packed, more variety of cars, unlimited access to the pits/paddock, cheaper, more motorsport fans and none of the social set....and you don't get moved everytime a plane flys over
Old 31 Jul 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1669059)   #41
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi! Is this private gab fest or can anyone join in?
I attended all three days and enjoyed each one, got to talk to a number of drivers (including the lovely LJK) and Sir Stirling who was as charming as ever.
Congratulation to the HSCC for a fabulous entry and 22 races run without a hitch. I even saw Graeme White smiling at the end.
We should remember that this is only the second time that Silverstone has promoted the Classic and it can only get better. 38,000 over the three days is a good start and we should all spread the word to ensure that we are able to retain such an event.
I wonder can anyone tell me if our very own Mod was allowed out as I am sure I saw him wandering around the Aston paddock display on Saturday wearing a baseball cap?
Old 31 Jul 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1669205)   #42
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry, Paula, but I've taken out all the quotes as I think your follow ups and replies are apparent without them, and I hate wasting space! You can beat me up if we ever meet! I'm also concerned that you are placing Johngee on a pedestal that he surely ........ deserves! . Sorry I didn't catch up with you, John, although noting Paula's problems with her pass, not sure that I'd have been successful if I had tried, particularly, as I understand that a couple of other media guys had erm .... difficulties! Probably the same reason as Paula's though!

Incidentally, Paula you are talking to Frank and Judy Lyons as though they view here! Do you know something we don't? It would be great if they did, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
I wonder can anyone tell me if our very own Mod was allowed out as I am sure I saw him wandering around the Aston paddock display on Saturday wearing a baseball cap?
Depends which mod. you mean, Bob! I was there on Saturday but didn't wear a baseball cap all day! Donned one briefly yesterday, though! I understand that TimD was there on Saturday, but I failed to catch up with him.

I think that I am going to merge this with the earlier thread, because I'm not sure that we need to have two threads running in parallel on this. Sorry again, Paula!

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Jul 2006 at 19:19.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1669233)   #43
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, I've merged threads; still think it all makes sense.

I was there, Saturday and Sunday, and I must admit to having some issues. I have a feeling that there were too many side shows and distractions that, too a certain extent took away the focus of the meeting. I think that there was far too much going on on Saturday; quart into a pint pot comes to mind. Yesterday, was much, much better and I'm going to stick to the positives for now. I thought the turn out was pretty good both days that I went, but as bauble says, it is not yet established as Coys was, so probably hasn't yet caught the imagination in the same way. I'm also inclined to look at it complementing the Goodwood Revival rather than trying to emulate it. There's room for both. I also don't agree that it should go to Brands since that has the Superprix as well as other Historic meetings. Notwithstanding the reduced viewing qualities compared with those two, I think it is absolutely right that Silverstone should have it's own Historic festival.

Personally, I caught up with a number of Ten-Tenthers and was sorry not to see others. However, it was great to meet Andrew Fellowes, over from Australia, and, at last, James Murray, who I shall come back to later in this thread, with good reason. Hope that both Andrew and James will be posting on this thread in due course.

I will do my usual bit of posting up images over the coming couple of weeks (as I'm not around for a couple of days later this week) but hope others will also add their pics, comments and experiences, as well. I have to admit that even after 'chimping' at the circuit and deleting once back at the PC, I'm still left with close on 1000 images from paddock and track, so it will take a while to select those I'm going to post!

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Jul 2006 at 19:49.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1669255)   #44
24_heures
Rookie

24_heures should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found it a very enjoyable meeting. Great to have the free roam, no restrictions format all around the circuit so once you're in, you're in. No need to worry about getting your ticket out every 5 minutes for another check point.

Some fantastic machinery on track (and in the car parks). My only disappointment was that a few of the grids were somewhat short of the 40-odd maximum for the GP circuit. Hopefully the numbers will increase in future years and it will grow to be similar to the Coys heydays.

I'm sure Porsche being the featured marque next year is a good move. They're so popular and there are so many, it's bound to give the meeting a boost.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1669376)   #45
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eyes were peeled for Tenthers, but I completely failed to catch up with John, who was spotted from a distance on Sunday, but who managed to slip away!

I enjoyed the event, but it does have a few easily addressed niggles. I thought the sideshows were no problem - they were tucked out of the way, but were in a big enough area to satisfy those who didn't want to devote themselves to the racing. No problem there.

My biggest issue was the random nature of the paddocks. With the HGPCA bagging a large cordoned area of the pitlane drag for their "dummy grid", that meant that several classes were obliged to perch wherever they could in the far flung areas of the infield. I even found teams trying to prepare and fettle in the BRDC car park behind the paddock diner, which can't have been ideal. It did rather make a mockery of the specially made and potentially helpful paddock signage which was in evidence.

As an example, it took half an hour of concerted searching by three people to finally pin down the Kellison sports which was an unprogrammed number 61 in the Saturday sports car race.

Oh yes - the programme. I appreciate that entry lists are subject to change and all that, and I know that there is an inevitable lead-time in printing the books, but it's a long time since I've had to make quite so many annotations to a race-card. Particular howler was the winning number 40 in the F5000 race, which was programmed as a blue Chevron and was quite clearly an orange Lola!

Final brickbat - well, more a matter of taste - one of the delights of the old Coys was the sheer weight of club displays to be browsed round. Wonder if James and the team might find themselves benefitting if they pushed the welcome to the car clubs a bit more. I remember in the mid-nineties attracting several motorsport newcomers to the old Coys event by waving club-car invites at them.

So that's the downside.

Positives? Easy - some cracking good racing, very clean too. Apart from Whizzo's roll, which he achieved right under my nose (I was walking across the bridge at the time) and the Shepherd Cobra (second time I've seen it get damaged at Silverstone now), most cars went home in the fine fettle they arrived in, which is always encouraging.

Fabulous Saturday fifties sports car race, and much amusement in our stand when Ben Eastick pulled in a lap early. Sorry, Ben.

Watching the leading Cortina come through Copse virtually sideways lap after lap, whilst still holding a decent lead over Jackie Oliver's BMW 1800. Now that was something!

The terrific scrap for third in the Sunday group C race with the yellow ADA. Kept us entertained for much of what might otherwise have been a very processional motor race. Top marks there.

All in all, a good weekend. With a little tweaking, it could start to emulate the old Coys events we all used to love so much. With the slightly different mix, it complements Goodwood rather than competing with it, but on the other hand, with just a month to go before the Sussex pilgrimage, what a lovely appetiser to keep us on our toes.

Roll on 2007, I say.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1669392)   #46
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi John

No problems hon, I am kinda new to this forum.

Johngee has put me on commission....

No seriously though, he does run an excellent meeting and all the boys and girls in orange have enormous respect for him. I love hearing his stories of some very prominent but irate drivers who are called to Race Control for a chat with him over their misdeeds out on the circuit.

H'mmmmmm. I am not sure whether Frank and Judy are members on here but I love them both to bits and they are so kewl....

Oh yes, it was good to see photographer Gary Hawkins again on Saturday, he is a lovely man and I have enormous respect for him.

I will have to learn to read the small print in respect of my Media Pass...

Yep, when we meet I will... you.........

Take care

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Sorry, Paula, but I've taken out all the quotes as I think your follow ups and replies are apparent without them, and I hate wasting space! You can beat me up if we ever meet! I'm also concerned that you are placing Johngee on a pedestal that he surely ........ deserves! . Sorry I didn't catch up with you, John, although noting Paula's problems with her pass, not sure that I'd have been successful if I had tried, particularly, as I understand that a couple of other media guys had erm .... difficulties! Probably the same reason as Paula's though!

Incidentally, Paula you are talking to Frank and Judy Lyons as though they view here! Do you know something we don't? It would be great if they did, of course!

I think that I am going to merge this with the earlier thread, because I'm not sure that we need to have two threads running in parallel on this. Sorry again, Paula!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1669406)   #47
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi again

Incidentally John never says who these drivers are.

He is too professional to do that.

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge

I love hearing his stories of some very prominent but irate drivers who are called to Race Control for a chat with him over their misdeeds out on the circuit.

Paula
Old 31 Jul 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1669429)   #48
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

What a wonderful weekend it was, glorious weather (apart from a bit of a shower on Saturday) excellent racing from a superb collection of cars and motorcycles.

It was a pleasure to be a marshal at this great event.
Thanks to everyone on Club Corner (Friday) and Copse Corner (Saturday and Sunday) for making me feel so welcome. And the end-of-day entertainment in the Scarf And Goggles was good too.

Well done to everyone for a fabulous event and I'm already looking forward to next year and another Silverstone Classic.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1669460)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey77
And the end-of-day entertainment in the Scarf And Goggles was good too.
I thought this quite poor. It wasn't a patch on the COYS days of The Big Man.

Anyway.
Whizzo had an eventful weekend (see picture). Was it he who caused the mark on the wall at Bridge?
Attached Thumbnails
Dscf2353.jpg  
Old 1 Aug 2006, 00:35 (Ref:1669511)   #50
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
He seemed to be coping when I saw him?

http://catmangler.smugmug.com/galler...886/1/85205517

We had a great day Sunday, sadly the only time I could get there.
Dunno if I got spotted, or saw anyone. I doubt I'm infamous enough yet!

The only slightly low spot was the Gp.C/GTP field grenading itself!. What happened????

I mean, we could see what happened to wee Mr.Law.

http://catmangler.smugmug.com/galler...886/1/85205409

But where'd the rest go?

Tim