Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Jan 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3794972)   #326
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
theres an article in Autosport magazine today about TCR UK.

it says that the "momentum for the series has come to an abrupt halt" and go on to say "it may not even get off the ground".

dead parrot.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3794975)   #327
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Very sad to hear. I bet Alan Gow is dead chuffed though.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3795025)   #328
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Laughing all the way to the fridge for a fresh tinnie to put in the barbie...
Old 25 Jan 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3795035)   #329
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Then in 2-3 years time the BTCC announces its switching to TCR regs.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3795074)   #330
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Then in 2-3 years time the BTCC announces its switching to TCR regs.
I can see that... though timescale will depend on how healthy the entry list continues to be I should think. And although BTCC looks in rude health, Tony Gilham had serious financial worries a few years back, Thorney had a rude awakening with real costs vs. what he understood they may be, Motorbase sat out half a season and BMR is not sat with a large chest full if dubloons (depending on who you listen to).

How many of the teams are commercially viable and not propped up by their enthusiastic owners? I'd say WSR and Dynamics with a degree of confidence, the rest?
Old 25 Jan 2018, 20:35 (Ref:3795084)   #331
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
How many of the teams are commercially viable and not propped up by their enthusiastic owners? I'd say WSR and Dynamics with a degree of confidence, the rest?
and thats exactly the same in all series - including tcr, nascar, formula one, indycar, australian supercars, dtm, etc etc

and football teams
and rugby teams
and so on and so on
Old 25 Jan 2018, 21:36 (Ref:3795117)   #332
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I can see that... though timescale will depend on how healthy the entry list continues to be I should think. And although BTCC looks in rude health, Tony Gilham had serious financial worries a few years back, Thorney had a rude awakening with real costs vs. what he understood they may be, Motorbase sat out half a season and BMR is not sat with a large chest full if dubloons (depending on who you listen to).
you can add to that the various crowd funding we have had for people like Rob Austin, Simon Belcher, Mike Bushell, Dan Welch etc to help them pay to nail their crippled cars back together post accidents... definitely not a cheap series for hobbyists to come out to play in
Old 26 Jan 2018, 00:46 (Ref:3795156)   #333
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yet we have managed to season after season to get as close to capacity grids that makes little difference. I agree with the Autosport article, if there haven’t 2 or 3 more entries by this time next week, I think we can cynically say it’s not going to happen for TCR UK
Old 26 Jan 2018, 05:09 (Ref:3795190)   #334
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I believe any series needs at least 12-15 cars to appear credible, anything less and it looks a bit desperate I think.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 07:08 (Ref:3795194)   #335
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how small of an entry list the series organisers can afford? I would think the costs are based on around 15 car grids.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 07:53 (Ref:3795202)   #336
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
It's chicken & egg really. Until more people sign up for the series (other) more people won't be encouraged to sign up for the series (because it doesn't look like there's going to be one).
I do believe that there is a place for TCR in the UK but there are too many vet=sted interests above (BTCC) and below (one-make) that will do thier utmost to stop it from happening.
Motorsport has always been an expensive hobby (I've been there in my own little way), but to me, the costs nowadays are more than eye watering.
I think that TCR could be like Group 1 / Group A of the 80's where wealthy or well sponsored competitors from local series could hop abroad (either to, or from the UK) to contest races elsewhere, we just need to get it up & running in the UK first. If only some of the manufacturers could get behind TCR UK, that would make a huge difference.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3795226)   #337
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Yep, I remember Formula Ford Ecoboost which ran as a BTCC support. It started with about 5-6 cars, not a good spectacle really. Thankfully the racing actually wasn't bad.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3796400)   #338
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No communication to teams, no decent Tv deal, early(expensive) round at Knockhill, generally presented in a clubby way , no wonder it hasn’t caught on
Old 30 Jan 2018, 00:09 (Ref:3796732)   #339
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
So we have news of TCR UK's TV coverage: Highlights on Sky Sports, Front Runner and Motortrend on Demand.

The races (including support races) will be shown on Facebook.
On Facebook? Not youtube?

Oy yoy yoy!

I bet it'll all be from the championship co-ordinators mobile-phone on the pit gantry, filmed entirely on portrait instead of landscape so there's 2 black bars down the picture at all times :P

If the only thing that comes out of this mess is that is encourages the BTCC to stop being so backwards about social media it'd at least be something

C'mon Gow/ITV, even F1 is doing it now, stop hiding away from the modern world and get your races and extra content on youtube.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3796794)   #340
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
If the only thing that comes out of this mess is that is encourages the BTCC to stop being so backwards about social media it'd at least be something

C'mon Gow/ITV, even F1 is doing it now, stop hiding away from the modern world and get your races and extra content on youtube.
but all BTCC races are also live streamed via the itv or BTCC website, free of charge to your device (tablet or phone or computer) etc., as well of course free to air on ITV4. Also highlights available on whatever device through the internet.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3796970)   #341
jakew7498
Rookie

jakew7498 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
On Facebook? Not youtube?
It's on YouTube. http://www.brscc.co.uk/tcr-uk-confir...eaming-details
Old 30 Jan 2018, 23:31 (Ref:3797019)   #342
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
but all BTCC races are also live streamed via the itv or BTCC website, free of charge to your device (tablet or phone or computer) etc., as well of course free to air on ITV4. Also highlights available on whatever device through the internet.
No live streaming outside UK.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 08:19 (Ref:3797095)   #343
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
No live streaming outside UK.
Those broadcasters who own the rights to BTCC outside the UK are free to stream it live in whichever countries they serve, they just choose not to. Presumably because the cost of doing so would be far greater than the revenue they could get back.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3798664)   #344
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Knockhill meeting to use the reverse (anti-clockwise) circuit configuration.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 13:12 (Ref:3798671)   #345
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Knockhill meeting to use the reverse (anti-clockwise) circuit configuration.
Bit of a daft move, Knockhill totally loses its appeal to me when I've attended meetings that run the circuit in reverse. Duffus Dip and the Chicane aren't anywhere near as much fun to spectate at.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3798739)   #346
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I wonder if they got over giddy, as the initial idea to run as a support to British GT was more realistic.

'TCR UK had considered running as a support series to the British GT championship, but the organiser has elected to run with the British Racing and Sports Car Club (BRSCC) at the top of its own billing.
Of the equivalent 2017 meetings to the TCR UK calendar, only Knockhill is not a BRSCC meeting.
The series also confirmed that drivers will get at least two races irrelevant of how many entries the series receives.
If entries go above the maximum grid for UK circuits, which is 40 at some circuits but lower at others, the series will run to a different format, featuring qualifying and then an 'A' and a 'B' final race.'
Old 5 Feb 2018, 17:17 (Ref:3798745)   #347
touring fan01
Veteran

and still no drivers have announced their firm commitment besides only the 3 or 4 who have

dead parrot
Old 5 Feb 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3798761)   #348
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and still no drivers have announced their firm commitment besides only the 3 or 4 who have

dead parrot
Not even pining why does UK need ANOTHER tintop series Why doesn't the MSA just say no and not issue permits for this and other half baked series that never get off the ground?
Old 5 Feb 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3798764)   #349
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
and thats exactly the same in all series - including tcr, nascar, formula one, indycar, australian supercars, dtm, etc etc

and football teams
and rugby teams
and so on and so on
Where would WSR be without Collard and Jordan pay drivers?
Old 5 Feb 2018, 18:13 (Ref:3798765)   #350
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Not even pining why does UK need ANOTHER tintop series Why doesn't the MSA just say no and not issue permits for this and other half baked series that never get off the ground?
I don't think it's the MSAs job to shut down series based off of opinion like that. If the series is going to fail, it should be allowed to fail (or succeed) on its own, without having someone shut it down for them.