Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Sep 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3852820)   #1
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knockhill Rallycross?

My apologies, I'm sure somewhere this has been talked about. I'm somewhat new to RX (in the past few years) and also currently live thousands of miles away. I've become more interested in RX over the past year or so. I know that Knockhill has a history of Rallycross racing and can find events in the past as recently as 2014, but nothing anywhere now, and I can't find any news articles either here, or on google regarding what happened. Has Knockhill simply stopped running Rallycross events? Is there any Rallycross in Scotland at this point?
Old 27 Sep 2018, 10:01 (Ref:3852914)   #2
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
My apologies, I'm sure somewhere this has been talked about. I'm somewhat new to RX (in the past few years) and also currently live thousands of miles away. I've become more interested in RX over the past year or so. I know that Knockhill has a history of Rallycross racing and can find events in the past as recently as 2014, but nothing anywhere now, and I can't find any news articles either here, or on google regarding what happened. Has Knockhill simply stopped running Rallycross events? Is there any Rallycross in Scotland at this point?
Yes Knockhill does still have a rallycross section.
It was last used for a promotional thing for Knockhill and something else, sorry I can't remember what.
If I remember correctly Oliver Bennet did some laps and you had to beat him on a computer simulation of the course.
It was around the time of the Autosport International Show back in January.

As for proper rallycross returning to Knockhil, I dodn't see it happening in the near future.
The southern based competitors say it is too far to travel, and a hike in venue hire made in impossible to run a meeting there without making a huge loss.

It's a shame really because the loose section was brilliant. Proper loose surface, very flowing, and there even was a jump at the end of it
Old 27 Sep 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3852976)   #3
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
Yes Knockhill does still have a rallycross section.
It was last used for a promotional thing for Knockhill and something else, sorry I can't remember what.
If I remember correctly Oliver Bennet did some laps and you had to beat him on a computer simulation of the course.
It was around the time of the Autosport International Show back in January.

As for proper rallycross returning to Knockhil, I dodn't see it happening in the near future.
The southern based competitors say it is too far to travel, and a hike in venue hire made in impossible to run a meeting there without making a huge loss.

It's a shame really because the loose section was brilliant. Proper loose surface, very flowing, and there even was a jump at the end of it
It is a shame, Knockhill looked like an excellent track for rallycross -- and in an area without many alternatives it seems. My wife's parents live in Scotland and she has wanted to move there for years, I've always brushed it off but my job is contract work and our contract is ending next year and I've begun to look into it. Racing is my #1 hobby, and I do really like Rallycross -- it's not like Sprint Car racing which I currently do, but looks just as fun or more so. But Scotland seems to be completely devoid of Rallycross without regular events at Knockhill it seems -- I'm not much for traditional circuit racing, and not sure that I'd be very good at it either
Old 27 Sep 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3852990)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autograss might be the next best thing for you:

http://scottishautograss.co.uk/
Old 27 Sep 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3852999)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you want to be based in Scotland, I would look at stocs cars, stage rallying or perhaps hills and sprints
Old 27 Sep 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3853017)   #6
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Autograss might be the next best thing for you:

http://scottishautograss.co.uk/
It's not just any part of Scotland either, they live in Inverness

All jokes aside it looks like an outstanding place to live. We are planning a trip in May of next year as I've actually never been myself, they have been here to visit, and my wife has made trips there but I've always been busy during the times of year she wants to go there. (racing season here is Feb-Nov)

Autograss Class 8 cars look interesting, the lower classes look similar to mini stocks, or limited stocks as they are called here in Pennsylvania.

Stock cars over there look interesting and I would definitely attend the races as a spectator, but I don't think I could ever get used to heavy contact being part of it. In a Sprint Car if you make heavy contact it will likely not be a good night.. lol.

Stage rally I could definitely get into for sure, but I've also considered IF I were to live in Scotland I could always hire a ride in a BMW Mini or similar, the hire costs seem very reasonable. My Sprint Cars, spares, etc. were well over $25k and that is not counting maintaining a vehicle and hauler and the travel costs. If there were an option to hire a ride here in the States I would certainly have looked into that! It wouldn't be much of a job to hop on a plane going South when it was time for a race in Southern UK
Old 6 Dec 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3868244)   #7
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross returns to Knockhill in 2019;

October 19th and 20th

https://clubmansrallycross.weebly.co...-calendar.html