Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Mar 2004, 10:23 (Ref:905691)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Goodwood testing 13th March

we made it . . . .albeit after a few 15 hour days and some silly working hours, the bonnet went on at midnight Friday night, up at 5:45 am and got to Goodwood on time to test . . . .pulled the exhaust off getting the car on the trailer (I'm too heavy) went out testing having not even driven more than 100 yards . . .nothing fell off, and nothing broke . . . .we still have a list as long as my arm of things to sort . . .but we got there, and what excellent fun it was too. although Im not convinced by crossply tyres in the pouring rain !!!

thanks to everyone whos helped and assisted along the way, whether it be advice, madness warnings, and or support and getting dirty! I couldnt have done it on my own

Joe

Attached Thumbnails
chicane exit3-small.jpg  
Old 15 Mar 2004, 10:25 (Ref:905695)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
preparing first time
Attached Thumbnails
pitlane-small.jpg  
Old 15 Mar 2004, 10:27 (Ref:905699)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
1st lap
Attached Thumbnails
between lotus and zodiac-small.jpg  
Old 15 Mar 2004, 10:32 (Ref:905704)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
chicane exit
Attached Thumbnails
chicaneexit-small.jpg  
Old 15 Mar 2004, 11:04 (Ref:905735)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done Joe. It looks good.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 11:38 (Ref:905769)   #6
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, that's one lovely looking horseless carriage.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 11:58 (Ref:905788)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fantastic! I'll look forward to seeing this one out on the circuits for sure.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 12:31 (Ref:905815)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
thanks guys . . . .shame I didnt . . . .by the time I got in on Sat eve I could hardly keep my eyes open . . ..well worth it though
Old 15 Mar 2004, 12:48 (Ref:905840)   #9
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done - it looked really good and was going just as well! Good to see something different after all those Loti...

(we failed the noise test - 112dB instead of 105! I actually don't think thats possible, but a curtailed rev limit and a borrowed supertrap got us out - a good job seeing it was a 900 mile round trip!)
Old 15 Mar 2004, 14:20 (Ref:905936)   #10
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you lot find the noise regulations to be a real problem ? We tested there earlier in the year and our car registered 110dB, yet same car, same exhausts was measured at 105dB elsewhere. We ended up going to kwikfit and putting on a road exhaust and a muffler to get down to 105dB. The car seemed quieter than the passing traffic on the main road.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 14:38 (Ref:905951)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I turned up at the check . . .being a virgin and all that . . . .he just said 'redline' . . .so I floored it !!!

then he said no . . .what is your red line, anyway . . .the bloke at the back came round and said 105 db . . .which I think is ballcocks because I have a full length 2 box lotus cortina system and Im not revving or breathing as heavily . . . .anyway, when I got out there no one said anything so it must have been ok.

thanks yimkin . . . .had a few surge problems and overheating when I went for it, but given we finished building it midnight Fri . . . went as well as could be expected forst time out. . . .a bit of Fettling and we'll be ready for Donnington at easter
Old 15 Mar 2004, 14:53 (Ref:905957)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well done Zef the car sounded as good as it looks in the photos - I hope the Goodwood talent scouts noticed it as there are FAR too many Lotus Cortina's out there!!!
Once my brain was in gear (a wake up call by Yimkin on my final session did the trick!!)the Alfa went well (Have made mental note that Alfas has 5 not 4 gears!!).
The downside is that the day is almost a victim of its own success and combined with the 5 cars at any one time ruling meant the queues were long but Julius' hospitality tent did make up for it as it was v cold!
Old 15 Mar 2004, 15:17 (Ref:905978)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
you cant beat a bit of parsnip soup to regain the feeling in your fingers !

5 gears eh . . . .is that legal ?

apart from the chicane I only used 3rd and 4th anyway . . . .maybe if I took first out it'd save a bit of weight !

I was suprised at the amount of non top hat cars there to be honest, particularly as some wherent even race cars, although regardless of performance and ability everyone seemed to be courteous and repsectful.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 12:53 (Ref:908157)   #14
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble

Once my brain was in gear (a wake up call by Yimkin on my final session did the trick!!)the Alfa went well (Have made mental note that Alfas has 5 not 4 gears!!).
That was my Dad that time. It earned him a whack from my Mum to remind him its *testing* not *racing*

Zef - oil surge at Goodwood was the reason we went dry sump after years of trying different baffling techniques etc. Goodwood is the worst for oil surge because it has so many fast right handers.

Kickstart - our car had never been measured at more than 105dB previously - dodgy meter? As the decibel scale is logarhythmic I think the reading must have been in error. Not to worry though, we still got out.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 15:03 (Ref:908263)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yimkin, please make sure you thank him - it was a long time since I have duelled with him, he is a true 10/10ths driver!!!He had yr car on the ragged edge the whole way round Lavant. It was a great shame we didnt have a couple of more laps, I came in with a big grin and wanted to thank him in person but had to dash as I had to get to Windsor booted and suited for the AC Ace owners dinner by 7.30!
Old 17 Mar 2004, 15:17 (Ref:908267)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Yimkin . . ..thanks for that . . . .It was Lavant corner first . . .then as I was running lean/hot . . .madgewick as well . . .I have baffled my sump and hope not to repeat it elsewhere as dry sumps not allowed for FiA . . . .is an accusump FiA legal ?

the whole sound debacle is a bit iffy if you ask me . . . .just because a few old gits live nearby . . .its not like the circuit was built last summer !
Old 17 Mar 2004, 16:23 (Ref:908291)   #17
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trouble is, the circuit was virtually dormant for 32 years, and people built close to it - especially out at Fordwater. That being said, it's not necessarily "old gits" who are complaining about it, more the young "too upwardly mobile to live in Worthing" lot.

You might be amused to know that when they were going through the process of licencing the circuit for the 1998 Revival there were a number of checks made on sound travel at the circuit, and on one occasion a complaint was received about the "racing car screaming round" from a neighbour.

Turns out the "racing car" was a council Transit van being used to position noise meters out on the track. Some people are just soooo sensitive...!
Old 17 Mar 2004, 16:45 (Ref:908305)   #18
Riley Imp
Rookie

Riley Imp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds like you guys had a great time and the pictures look good. The noise issue maybe irritating, but if I were limited to spectating at one UK event in the year it would be the Revival. Its simply great, the circuit is wonderful, unlike that place near me. The noise restriction is a small price to pay for continuing use.
Chris.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 18:12 (Ref:908384)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Zef. As you know I run an Accusump wassname thingy and I've always passed scrute. Although I sometimes get some interesting questions.

Last year at Spa the Scrute told me to reinforce the hoses. I think he meant sheath them because IIRC they are 300psi reinforced hoses. They just don't look like Aeroquips. I'll probably duct them inside some Ally sheet.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 16:00 (Ref:910877)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
its as likely to be where they pass through the bulkhead and any other potential chaffing or cut points I guess . . . .I have used shed loads of grommets and the like building my car

I have seen accusumps in various cars, so I'd hope theyre FiA legal . . . .it seems to be a fairly common problem
Old 19 Mar 2004, 17:01 (Ref:910915)   #21
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood noise

I have only done sprints there but 105 db is their limit for that as well and normally we are 112db.
The amazing thing is they sometimes stop running because they have reached the cumulative total for the duration. Then we will start again after 10 mins or so but all the time the planes and helicopters are flying and have been making much more noise.
All very strange, but it is an honour to be able to drive there,with all the history etc!
Lister