Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 29 Feb 2008, 04:09 (Ref:2140597)   #26
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Weren't Servia and Tagliani both confirmed for PKV?
Old 29 Feb 2008, 04:59 (Ref:2140608)   #27
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forsythe lost what? 50 million on CART stock.
Lost how many tens of millions in the process of being a partner and buying CCWS and subsequently running Forsythe Racing from his own pocket from 2004 onward.

Forsythe, back when CART (circa 2000 or 01) was trying to figure out their future engine formula and considered going to a naturally aspired engine (rumor was to try and make a merger easier with IRL) was one of the VERY loud proponents for turbo engines and avoiding any type of IRL type specs.

Forsythe is not going Indycar racing because he lacks sponsors, that is the front story.
IMO Forsythe is not going Indycar racing because of his dislike of TG and the whole IRL formula and concept.

Forsythe has enough cash to run his race team from his own bank account with ZERO sponsors for as long as he likes.

IMO for Forsythe not going to Indycar is PERSONAL not business.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 06:07 (Ref:2140623)   #28
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
It doesn't really matter what his reasons are. They are his. The way in which all this has happened is a reflection of the whole merger situation.

GF would have stayed in Champcar, even though he was coming to a place of reluctance to keep funding it.
He has issues with TG.
He probably would have stayed and at least stayed till he had played out the contracts (2010?) had he not had to fund it from his own pocket...
But he had to make the decision and his heart wasn't in it.

That doesn't surprise me. While he has dumped his team in it (and remember it has just come to a head in the last two weeks) he has probably been quite honest with himself in the sense that he doesn't 'really want to do this' (be in the IRL)....

I think both partners were looking at the future and there were probably a multitude of hurdles to jump and very few assists likely in the next two years.
If one said I'm out the other would have had to follow so was Gerry the reluctant co-signee...?
he didn't want to go IRL on his money so decided he would only stay if he had some sponsorship. He didn't like the probabilities and made a decision.
Thats life.
He made a decision. A sad one for lots of people but it was his to make not ours. Move on.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2140640)   #29
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Clifton
..IMO for Forsythe not going to Indycar is PERSONAL not business.
I tend to agree; and, for once agreeing with mountainstar, I really feel for the team staff; I hope they can find a new job in some IRL team.

And about PT... it's funny that the same fellow who some yrs ago said "never on those cr@pwagons" now desires so much to drive one of them
Old 29 Feb 2008, 09:09 (Ref:2140684)   #30
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PAUL TRACY TO FOYT?

Italiaracing .net (the english version not available yet)

http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=18162&cat=3

report that Paul Tracy is lokely to go to Foyt, after Forsyte decided to retire, to line up with Manning, not to replace him.

Provided I don't know how an unfunded outfit like Foyt can find the money to pay PT's wage, I'm bound to be happy about it.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2140809)   #31
dannydasilva
Rookie

dannydasilva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame Forsythe will stop racing in ChampCar/ IRL.

What I don't understand: Forsythe has been a topteam since it started in CART. Lot's of funds.
During the 2004 season Player's stopped the sponsorship deal.
Then why o why was a top team like players not able to find any new sponsorship in 3 years time?? What's wrong there?
Also they know long before that Player's sponsorship was coming to an end. So I would say that even for the past 4 years they haven't managed to do any new sponsorship deals.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 12:38 (Ref:2140821)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga

That doesn't surprise me. While he has dumped his team in it (and remember it has just come to a head in the last two weeks) he has probably been quite honest with himself in the sense that he doesn't 'really want to do this' (be in the IRL)....
I'm sure his (ex) employees found his honesty refreshing.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2140837)   #33
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
And about PT... it's funny that the same fellow who some yrs ago said "never on those cr@pwagons" now desires so much to drive one of them
He's already driven one of the crapwagons in the Indy 500, so that's a little been there, done that.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 29 Feb 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2140842)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think his point was he would not move to the IRL whilst the alternative existed more than being car specific.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2140856)   #35
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
He's already driven one of the crapwagons in the Indy 500, so that's a little been there, done that.
From what I remember, he told that after driving at Indy, but nevermind
Old 29 Feb 2008, 14:02 (Ref:2140896)   #36
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a great shame to see the team folded, as it always put competitive cars out. However, you can understand Gerry's reasoning for this. He's a very rich man, but motorsport took up a lot of his time and effort - the value of running ChampCar cars was increased by the importance of having extra cars in a series he co-owned and loved. Old grievances with George haven't been settled, and after years of sponsorless running he must feel this is the right time to fold, ratehr than putting in the time and effort to learn new cars. Hopefully someone can buy the bones of the operation and put it on track by the 500.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:23 (Ref:2140936)   #37
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Clifton
Forsythe lost what? 50 million on CART stock.
Lost how many tens of millions in the process of being a partner and buying CCWS and subsequently running Forsythe Racing from his own pocket from 2004 onward.

Forsythe, back when CART (circa 2000 or 01) was trying to figure out their future engine formula and considered going to a naturally aspired engine (rumor was to try and make a merger easier with IRL) was one of the VERY loud proponents for turbo engines and avoiding any type of IRL type specs.

Forsythe is not going Indycar racing because he lacks sponsors, that is the front story.
IMO Forsythe is not going Indycar racing because of his dislike of TG and the whole IRL formula and concept.

Forsythe has enough cash to run his race team from his own bank account with ZERO sponsors for as long as he likes.

IMO for Forsythe not going to Indycar is PERSONAL not business.
You're very much correct. Forsythe has spent somewhere in the region of $250 million the last few years, and he certainly doesn't lack the cash to fund the team by himself (as he's done pretty much since Player's dropped out). And you don't go from having budget for two or three cars with two paid pro drivers in Champ Car for 2008 to not having budget for even one car in IRL. I see Forsythe will run three cars at Long Beach, and perhaps more. I think he'll certainly need to do that - why wouldn't as many Champ Car teams go to Motegi as possible?
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2140946)   #38
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fair play to gerry i wouldnt work for the earl either
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:45 (Ref:2140949)   #39
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This would not be the first time Forsythe reduced his involvement in the sport.

Looking at the business or personal reasons why he quit has merit but I suspect a lot of it was that he wasn't having fun anymore.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2141018)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well maybe he should have got to some races in 2007 to re-energise his passion for the sport (I assume he has some).
Old 29 Feb 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2141078)   #41
captain crunch
Racer

captain crunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
PAUL TRACY TO FOYT?

Provided I don't know how an unfunded outfit like Foyt can find the money to pay PT's wage, I'm bound to be happy about it.

Doesn't PT have some sponsorship from monster energy drink? Maybe they'll foot some of the bill?
Old 29 Feb 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2141139)   #42
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good grief: I posted PT to Foyt that under another name yesterday on another forum as a joke and it was taken as such. Can anyone see ol' AJ and PT not coming to blows?
Old 29 Feb 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2141155)   #43
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
he wasn't having fun anymore.
In amongst debate over Tony George and personal funding and business interests and trying to get up to speed, this is surely the crux of it. Running a decent merged-series team will take a lot of effort for ChampCar teams, and a lot of pride-swallowing for OWRS people. Gerry has interests elsewhere, so is it worth him carrying on with this one? Although I'm disappointed, especially if Tracy and Montagny both miss out, I can understand the decision.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2141158)   #44
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Not having fun is an acceptable excuse in ordinary circumstances, but on the eve of a new season? If he wasn't having fun, why has it taken him until March to figure this out?

Don't fool yourselves, if Champcar was still going there'd be none of this.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2141187)   #45
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
A lot of it will go back to the race Paul Tracy was 'robbed' of ....

Gerry doesn't trust Tony, nor does he wanrt to have to much to do with his series.
He ran his team in champ car as long as it was necssary to keep his interests afloat but he will not do it for TG......
Maybe he will keep the Atlantic team going. we'll have wait and see.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 23:58 (Ref:2141248)   #46
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has been confirmed that the Atlantic team will still run as planned.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2141376)   #47
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its always a shame to see a team pack up but i have to say i am more upset about Montagny missing out than anything else, do you guys think he has any chance of getting a test with someone else? I assume he made a bit of an impression when he was topping the times a few weeks back.

Last edited by cds_uk; 1 Mar 2008 at 08:58.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2141512)   #48
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
...or you could view it as a sort of hissy fit because he was planning to use his share of the $100 million "payment" from TG (that they did not get) to fund his racing operation.

Personally, I think GF is ticked off as he realizes that time and time again he backed the wrong horse:

Purchases an enormous amount of CART stock.
Continued to purchase it even after it was worthless.
Did nothing to replace Players.
Made an arse out of himself on the telly decrying the reasons for the loss of Players, thus becoming product spokesman of the year.
Purchased CART at bankruptcy.
Funded his and other teams in the face of (surprise) lack of sponsor interest.

Was the PT "loss" at Indy a factor? I am sure it is/was. I just don't think it is as far up the flagpole as one might think.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2143353)   #49
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Don't fool yourselves, if Champcar was still going there'd be none of this.
And that is precisely why he hasn't joined the circus in the 'merged' IRL...

Better off cutting his losses and finding something else to do. It's a shame he feels that way, and I feel sorry for his employees, but there are obviously many personal reasons as to why he doesn't want to participate.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2143558)   #50
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well there is the ALMS ....