Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2004, 17:36 (Ref:970076)   #1
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coulthard starting to get grumpy (Friday driver rule)

Looks like Mr Coulthard is starting to lose his composure. F1-live has the following article:

------------------------------------
David Coulthard has asked the FIA to think again on the 'Friday driver' rule.

The Scot said it is unfair that a more competitive team than McLaren, such as rising outfit BAR-Honda, is able to collect more mileage in official practice.

'Bottom six' teams are allowed to run the T-car and a test driver on Fridays.

''That rule should be changed this season,'' Coulthard told Motorsport News.

''BAR, now a top two or three team, can still run a third car all year.''

McLaren, struggling to fend off Sauber - let alone pace-setting Ferrari and BAR - as a 'top four' outfit in 2003, is excluded from the Friday T-car runners.

It means that DC and Kimi Raikkonen must preserve running in practice sessions, a situation made worse by Mercedes-Benz, and the MP4-19's, shaky reliability.

''We sit and watch guys who are really competitive doing three or four times as many laps as us,'' Coulthard, with just four points to his name in 2004, moaned.

Source GMM / CAPSIS International

-----------------------------------------

I think it is fantastic that Bar have progressed so far in such a short period of time. They did not have a great year last year (or ever for that matter) and have bounced back in a big way.

Perhaps David is more concerned with the rules for next year where McLaren might have problems doing the extra mileage if their current rate of reliability continues. Oh wait, David will not be there next year, so maybe he is concerned that McLaren will be getting the extra mileage next year, with a competitive car and he will have to watch really competitive guys doing 3 or 4 times as many laps for a second year. Providing he even gets a drive next year......

OK, end of rant.

Old 13 May 2004, 17:39 (Ref:970079)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's maybe a case for saying the third car can be run on Friday by the bottom six teams going into each event
Old 13 May 2004, 17:41 (Ref:970080)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is a fair enough point. Last year the third car was available to all teams (if they chose to accept less test days). This year there is no choice, some teams are handed a disadvantage.

I don't like the rule much eiher, but at some point they might have agreed to it. Alhough it is a sporting rule not a technical one so it is easier for Max to get it through.
Old 13 May 2004, 17:46 (Ref:970081)   #4
006_007
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
There's maybe a case for saying the third car can be run on Friday by the bottom six teams going into each event
If that is the case then the $$$ that each team gets should be distributed throughout the season, and not at the end. Last year Mclaren finished 3rd and collected way more then BAR did with their overall finishing position.

BAR took less $$$ produced a better car, and are now reaping the rewards.

I do not see a problem with the 3rd driver for the bottom 6 teams. Even last year with Renault taking up the option of limited regular season testing in exchange for more weekend track time was a good call.
Old 13 May 2004, 17:48 (Ref:970085)   #5
006_007
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
It is a fair enough point. Last year the third car was available to all teams (if they chose to accept less test days). This year there is no choice, some teams are handed a disadvantage.

I don't like the rule much eiher, but at some point they might have agreed to it. Alhough it is a sporting rule not a technical one so it is easier for Max to get it through.
Excellent point that the teams had the choice last year. Even with the choice though, I do not believe McLaren would be taking the extra time. They have bigger problems.....
Old 13 May 2004, 17:54 (Ref:970090)   #6
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Coulthard starting to get grumpy (Friday driver rule)

Quote:
Originally posted by 006_007
Perhaps David is more concerned with the rules for next year where McLaren might have problems doing the extra mileage if their current rate of reliability continues.
In fact it would be very good for McLaren if (with their current reliability problems) they were allowed to let a third car make the full distance on the GP track on fridays. If the third car breaks down, it might give them exactly the information they need to make their first two cars last the full distance.
Old 13 May 2004, 17:56 (Ref:970091)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I think there's a case, I don't believe in changing rules during a season
Old 13 May 2004, 18:21 (Ref:970111)   #8
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think DC has a point. I thought I had ready it wrong last year and it would be done on a race by race bases which I think would be a fair way to do it. This does cause a slight logistical problem getting your third driver but there are enough drivers around to sort that one out!
Old 13 May 2004, 18:52 (Ref:970148)   #9
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
McLaren, struggling to fend off Sauber
But Sauber only run 2 cars on Friday, don't they?
Old 13 May 2004, 18:56 (Ref:970154)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Certainly what is happening, is what the rules intended. The top teams from last year, are somewhat disadvantaged. It shakes things up a bit, and allows lower teams to climb to the top, instead of things always being the same.
Old 13 May 2004, 19:24 (Ref:970187)   #11
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC definatly has a point. Those running a third car on Friday can save bigtime on enginerunning on both racecars. As is illustrated when compared the number of laps the third drivers are doing to those of the fulltime racedriveres.
Old 13 May 2004, 19:28 (Ref:970194)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

DC's probably annoyed McLaren will have Alex Wurz out on Fridays next year helping them, while David and Mark Webber won't get similar support from a test driver as they set up their Williams-BMWs!
Old 13 May 2004, 21:11 (Ref:970277)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also belive DC has a strong point.

Quote:
DC's probably annoyed McLaren will have Alex Wurz out on Fridays next year helping them, while David and Mark Webber won't get similar support from a test driver as they set up their Williams-BMWs!
DC and Webber in Williams BMW's? Now I do like the sound of that

Last edited by Down F0rce; 13 May 2004 at 21:11.
Old 13 May 2004, 21:12 (Ref:970278)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Na mate, DC will be in the Jag
Old 13 May 2004, 21:16 (Ref:970281)   #15
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if I am right on this but, weren't every team given the chance to do more running on the Friday if they took a cut in the amount of testing they were allowed to do away from race meetings?
Anyway, how about he stopped moaning and got on with it. He has been given every chance, and at times the best car, but just gets outdriven by more talented team mates (I now wait for the DC supporters to put fingers to keyboard!!).
Old 13 May 2004, 21:38 (Ref:970294)   #16
D_Marshall
Racer

Sudan
North West, England
D_Marshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
Certainly what is happening, is what the rules intended. The top teams from last year, are somewhat disadvantaged. It shakes things up a bit, and allows lower teams to climb to the top, instead of things always being the same.
Exactly, the rule was designed to help the teams that were lower down last year improve, and the top teams be disadvantaged. I know BAR's performance gain is by no means just because of this but it helps, and isn't it nice to see a different team at the front? McLaren wont be complaining if they end up with an extra tester next year (if the rule stays that is!).
Old 13 May 2004, 21:39 (Ref:970295)   #17
006_007
Racer

You are right....kind of

That was the way it was set up last year. They changed it for this year.

TJ

Old 13 May 2004, 22:56 (Ref:970383)   #18
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Ron D. the man behind the rule with the top 4 teams not getting 3 cars on the track on fridays? (probably because he didn't like the advantage Renault got ;-))
Old 13 May 2004, 23:30 (Ref:970410)   #19
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rule is fine the way it is. McLaren and Coulthard should look more at their own performance than start winging about other teams getting extra laps, or they might find themselves with the chance to get extra laps in next year ie: bottom 6.
Old 14 May 2004, 01:01 (Ref:970440)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funny that they didn't have a problem with the rules until they are beaten by it.

I'm not a fan of "penalising the top teams". I agree that in such a situation, it does hinder Mclaren's progress while at the same time allow BAR to get a better deal. That's why in a earlier posts i've asked if Mclaren, if they do regain their form, fight for 4th or they'd rather settle for 5th and get extra running of 3rd car next year... pointing out that if they do opt for the latter, and had a very good car next year, they had an unfair advantage while fighting Williams and Ferrari.

Running extra distances does help alot in finding the optimum set up, race strategy...though it doesn't help improve reliability or find speed from the engine/car (which is Mclaren's main concern).

HOWEVER, what i find irritating that DC making such an opinion is that Mclaren is the main team which think it is unfair that strong teams like Renault get an advantage by opting to test on fridays (they believe it explains Renault's strong form last year). Also, while the new regulations is to give smaller/slower teams get an advantage and hence, to closse the gap on larger teams and provide closer competition, Ron Dennis is the main guy who insisted that the smaller teams could not use experienced test drivers (that results in the stupid rule of barring Wilson) in their third car.

Mclaren and their drivers must realise they can't have it every other way.
Old 14 May 2004, 03:53 (Ref:970487)   #21
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
While I think there's a case, I don't believe in changing rules during a season
why not? Todt managed it with 3 races to run last year and thus ruin the championship.
Old 14 May 2004, 04:13 (Ref:970495)   #22
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
It should have been left the way it was-if you did less testing you got to run a car on Fridays. The change was at the insistence of the leaders of last years top teams, one of whom happens to employ Mr Coulthard. This same individual was one of the people who dreamt up the idea that drivers with F1 experience like Justin wilson couldn't get a job as a Friday driver because they had too much experience. Kinda like poetic justice has come around for Ronnie D. now his team is performing like a Sauber-Jordan-Minardi outfit inspite of the Williams/Ferrari style budget.

Don't get me wrong- I'm a McLaren fan through and through but I'm also a believer in fair play and justice and some of the things Ron has done in the name of protecting his team have not be just or fair in a sporting sense, nor have they been good for the sport.
Ron's verbage casting doubts on the idea of teams selling their old cars (or 'customer' cars)to smaller teams is another example of him meddling in the politics of the sport.

Last edited by Teretonga; 14 May 2004 at 04:15.
Old 14 May 2004, 09:06 (Ref:970672)   #23
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Perhaps David is more concerned with the rules for next year where McLaren might have problems doing the extra mileage if their current rate of reliability continues. Oh wait, David will not be there next year, so maybe he is concerned that McLaren will be getting the extra mileage next year, with a competitive car and he will have to watch really competitive guys doing 3 or 4 times as many laps for a second year. Providing he even gets a drive next year......

this is soooo funny
Old 14 May 2004, 09:17 (Ref:970687)   #24
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC could have a point, but I'm convinced that:
1) It's not cos of 3rd driver that BAR this year is so competitive
2) It's not for not having a 3rd driver that Macs are dogs
Old 14 May 2004, 13:49 (Ref:970939)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Precisely climb, Davidson's presence isn't a big factor in BAR's advance. It would be worth nothing if they were still on Bridgestones, the chassis wasn't good, and the Honda's were stil gutless and unreliable, and the drivers weren't on form.

I've got to feel taht DC is complaining over very little on this occasion. The rules are there to encourage competition, and on this occasion it doesn't help McLaren. Other changes last year did help them, it can work both ways.