Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: Will you miss the Oreca vipers?
Glad they are gone 2 33.33%
Big loss to the sport 4 66.67%
don't care 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Mar 2001, 21:15 (Ref:75076)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I was seriously saddened whem I learned that the Oreca Viper squad was no longer competing. I absolutely adored the team. They were the most successful GTS team ever and the car was stunning and they have won their class at Le mans for the last 4 years. But this year they have decided to run a Prototype team instead but I prefered the Viper and I think it is a major loss to the Motor sports industry.
Old 28 Mar 2001, 21:23 (Ref:75081)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hard to post my feelings with just the poll. They were spectacular but too dominating and could have either caused the Viper to be sanctioned or have killed the class. But with them gone it gave hope to other teams that they could compete, namely Corvette and Saleen. However, the drivers from Konrad M'Sport and Team Corvette would much rather beat them on the track than beat them by default. I miss them, but would rather have seen a massive three way battle for the title than them dominating.
Old 28 Mar 2001, 21:38 (Ref:75091)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree, Oreca's departure from GTS really stinks. But i believe while they are racing the prototype this year, they are also developing the next generation Viper for next season. If anybody knows differently, please correct me. Just be aware that news to the contrary will make me a very sad man indeed.
Old 28 Mar 2001, 23:17 (Ref:75130)   #4
meatballeyes
Rookie

meatballeyes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its hard to swing either way on this vote...

i am certain that the pratt & miller vettes are as fast as the oreca vipers (would have been). after all:

the vettes out-qualified the oreca vipers at many of the 2000 alms races, partly because oreca spent more time on the race set up than on hot qualifying laps. but still...

the vettes lost the 2000 daytona race by a mere 30 seconds. over the course of 24 hours thats pretty even.

the main challenge for the pratt & miller team was the olivier beretta / karl wendlinger combo. those two were the best oreca drivers.

considering that the vettes are finally running a full season, i think that this year would have been a banner year for the gts class. viper -vs- vette... an instant classic. throw in the wild card saleen s7r and we would have quite a race on our hands!

ON THE OTHER HAND:

considering the lack of factory support in the alms lmp 900 class, perhaps the oreca run chrysler lmps are just what the alms needs. their lateness entering into the season is unfortunate, but in 1999 audi didnt impress at first, either.

also: remember, oreca already has an overall le mans win to their name (1991 mazda 787b ). after trouncing the gts class for the last few years, and after winning daytona overall, oreca is probably lusting after another overall le mans win. i cant blame them for that.

stay in gts for the fans?

go to lmp 900 for the glory?

thats a tough one...

(in case someone hasnt seen the chrysler lmp yet...)
Attached Thumbnails
sr 2001 chrysler lmp cornering small (viper motorsport).jpg  
Old 29 Mar 2001, 00:28 (Ref:75135)   #5
clk-lm
Rookie

clk-lm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oreca was probably the best team ive ever seen race. but who want to see the same team win year after year. i think they did the right thing and moved on to lmp 900, but lets see what they can do there. hopefully the same thing as GTS