Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 19 Feb 2020, 00:37 (Ref:3958354)   #76
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Really glad to hear he's alert now, but they keep saying "non life threatening, but serious" make me concerned for Ryan's long term health now. Thinking of serious neck and back injuries. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 00:44 (Ref:3958356)   #77
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Really glad to hear he's alert now, but they keep saying "non life threatening, but serious" make me concerned for Ryan's long term health now. Thinking of serious neck and back injuries. Hope I'm wrong.
There have been a few rumors, just rumors right now, of broken bones and an open fracture. That would fit with the serious but not life threatening. Fairly quick to stabilize that but plenty of work to be done for the best recovery. That said, it is just rumor and most reporters thankfully are not reporting, it appears to have come from trackside people and not spectators. And it would not rule out neck or back injury in there as well, or instead of.

I'm thankful for 2 guys, Newman and his start to a hopeful full recovery. But also little LaJoie, can't imagine what's in his mind after having that car appear upside down sideways in front of him. That could really hurt a young racer as well. And coming from the racing family he has I'm guessing he's already asked about when he can talk with Ryan and visit what I'm guessing is a very busy place.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 01:24 (Ref:3958360)   #78
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
There have been a few rumors, just rumors right now, of broken bones and an open fracture. That would fit with the serious but not life threatening. Fairly quick to stabilize that but plenty of work to be done for the best recovery. That said, it is just rumor and most reporters thankfully are not reporting, it appears to have come from trackside people and not spectators. And it would not rule out neck or back injury in there as well, or instead of.

I'm thankful for 2 guys, Newman and his start to a hopeful full recovery. But also little LaJoie, can't imagine what's in his mind after having that car appear upside down sideways in front of him. That could really hurt a young racer as well. And coming from the racing family he has I'm guessing he's already asked about when he can talk with Ryan and visit what I'm guessing is a very busy place.
That was one of the hardest hits in the top of the car I've ever seen, so I can only imagine that he's in a way right now. I hate it. Always liked the guy, even tho he's a Boilermaker.

don't forget about Ryan Blaney, too.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 03:15 (Ref:3958373)   #79
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That was one of the hardest hits in the top of the car I've ever seen, so I can only imagine that he's in a way right now. I hate it. Always liked the guy, even tho he's a Boilermaker.

don't forget about Ryan Blaney, too.
Wow, has Drew Brees hatred infiltrated all aspects and hate on Boilermakers?
Old 19 Feb 2020, 03:25 (Ref:3958377)   #80
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Wow, has Drew Brees hatred infiltrated all aspects and hate on Boilermakers?
I like Drew. He just plays for the wrong teams.

Quote:
I'm hoping Gibbs was on the radio and heard confirmation he was ok. He did hold the celebration and prayer a min listening to the radio so maybe positive. Although I guess Nascar thinks no one cares and would rather see ads
https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...angerous-sport

Interesting write up and noteworthy description on Joe Gibbs after the race. Confirms they didn't know much before victory lane. It's understandable...
Old 19 Feb 2020, 04:11 (Ref:3958385)   #81
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I like Drew. He just plays for the wrong teams.

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...angerous-sport

Interesting write up and noteworthy description on Joe Gibbs after the race. Confirms they didn't know much before victory lane. It's understandable...
Yeah, I have no problem with that immediate reaction from the team and drivers. It is the big race of the year and without news broadcast everywhere I would expect that reaction. And then the reaction from Joe and him dialing everything back, and his statements after just reinforce that.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 12:42 (Ref:3958480)   #82
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, I have no problem with that immediate reaction from the team and drivers. It is the big race of the year and without news broadcast everywhere I would expect that reaction. And then the reaction from Joe and him dialing everything back, and his statements after just reinforce that.
I don't buy it. Literally seconds after Dillon went into the fence a couple of years ago, Dale Jr. was asking about it and even if Hamlin himself somehow missed seeing Newman's Ford transforming into a twisted, flaming pile of metal in his rearview mirror there were still tons of others who sure as hell didn't. Not to mention they had nearly a full minute to tell Hamlin, before he unplugged his radio (I just checked the footage).

Amateur hour, no excuses are going to change that. Hopefully they learned something though, so they can be better in the future should something similar happen again.

Edit - I just saw video taken from the stands, by a fan. They are literally screaming "Oh my God, the roof! The cage!" seconds after the hit, almost before the car even comes to a stop. So, yeah, no excuse what so ever for the team not instantly telling Hamlin about the severity of the crash.

There, I promise I'm done ranting about it now.

Last edited by rustyfan; 19 Feb 2020 at 12:53.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 13:12 (Ref:3958486)   #83
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
I don't buy it. Literally seconds after Dillon went into the fence a couple of years ago, Dale Jr. was asking about it and even if Hamlin himself somehow missed seeing Newman's Ford transforming into a twisted, flaming pile of metal in his rearview mirror there were still tons of others who sure as hell didn't. Not to mention they had nearly a full minute to tell Hamlin, before he unplugged his radio (I just checked the footage).

Amateur hour, no excuses are going to change that. Hopefully they learned something though, so they can be better in the future should something similar happen again.

Edit - I just saw video taken from the stands, by a fan. They are literally screaming "Oh my God, the roof! The cage!" seconds after the hit, almost before the car even comes to a stop. So, yeah, no excuse what so ever for the team not instantly telling Hamlin about the severity of the crash.

Yeah, no. Don't buy that bs for a second. At over 200 at that point on the track and with multiple cars between they CANNOT see that car behind. It's just not possible. And ZERO teams other than a few *******s and the media have said anything to blame the reaction of Hamlin and the team. Stop pretending this happened within feet of the actual race win. It didn't and it's utter bull and mis-informed or intentionally being an ass to claim otherwise.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 18:08 (Ref:3958546)   #84
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
More recent information on Ryan Newman. https://speedsport.com/nascar/nascar...alth-improves/
Old 19 Feb 2020, 18:57 (Ref:3958560)   #85
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Well, now a story that Newman has benn released: https://www.fox13news.com/news/ryan-...cing-team-says
Old 19 Feb 2020, 19:19 (Ref:3958564)   #86
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Wow, the man is TOUGH

https://twitter.com/roushfenway/stat...091078656?s=20
Old 19 Feb 2020, 20:16 (Ref:3958583)   #87
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Heard about that on the radio. Holy Shyte. That's incredible! And so good to hear!
Old 19 Feb 2020, 20:26 (Ref:3958586)   #88
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
It is great news!

The lack of information coming forth during the time in hospital was not good. That was handled badly.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 20:35 (Ref:3958587)   #89
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Well, now a story that Newman has benn released: https://www.fox13news.com/news/ryan-...cing-team-says
Hard to believe....

Quote:

I see your point, but it was the Daytona 500 and there's a bunch going on all at once. And don't forget Mikey Waltrip and Dale Sr. I'm willing to give a pass.

Amateur hour? That's how NASCAR handles plate tracks
Old 19 Feb 2020, 21:19 (Ref:3958592)   #90
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, no. Don't buy that bs for a second. At over 200 at that point on the track and with multiple cars between they CANNOT see that car behind. It's just not possible. And ZERO teams other than a few *******s and the media have said anything to blame the reaction of Hamlin and the team. Stop pretending this happened within feet of the actual race win. It didn't and it's utter bull and mis-informed or intentionally being an ass to claim otherwise.
I think you're wrong about not being able to see behind them. Dale Jr. could see Austin Dillon's crash well enough - you can listen to his radio communication with his spotter here: https://youtu.be/n-w_j0YA96Q?t=162

The "Oh my God!" radio call one can hear during the actual race broadcast, a few seconds after Dillon went into the fence, is Dale Jr.

Race broadcast footage of Dillon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrRLhTyWHQk

So I don't see why Hamlin wouldn't be able to see something of Newman's crash, especially since he is about the same distance from Newman getting hit as Dale Jr. is as from Dillon flying into the fence. There is also NO car between Hamlin and Newman getting hit by Lajoie - it's a clear, unobstructed view. I'm guessing Hamlin simply didn't look, but he most certainly COULD have done so. But that's not even the point - the point was that someone, either the spotter or someone else on the team, should have TOLD him it looked bad. They had nearly a minute to do so.

Race broadcast footage of Newman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEQDVvBOK3U

Anyhow, it's all a moot discussion anyway considering Newman has left the hospital on his own two feet. Let's just be thankful for that.

Quote:
Amateur hour? That's how NASCAR handles plate
tracks
Well, true enough.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 21:40 (Ref:3958595)   #91
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Really great news Ryan N is out and about. I thought my curse had struck; I had a bit on him to win. Damn near did too.

Hope he takes plenty of time out to recover to full strength before hopping back in a racecar.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 21:53 (Ref:3958598)   #92
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Are races like this what Nascar fans want? It seems like a shambles to me, but I'm not exactly the core audience.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 22:15 (Ref:3958607)   #93
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't believe he survived that crash, never mind that he's walked out of hospital so soon afterwards.

Incredible.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 22:28 (Ref:3958612)   #94
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree, did not expect him to walking out of hospital two days later. Mental what modern engineering can achieve.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 01:39 (Ref:3958632)   #95
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Doesn’t know where his shoes are though!

Great news, happy there can be a lame joke about it.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 01:44 (Ref:3958633)   #96
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Anyhow, it's all a moot discussion anyway considering Newman has left the hospital on his own two feet. Let's just be thankful for that.
I don’t see the need to look for the bad here. I feel that something that if they had reacted how is deemed the correct way immediately then they should be applauded for it. However, if they didn’t then it should just be left. For two reasons, we can not be sure what was actually happening to these people and what they saw and felt, and also it is as uncouth to do so as it is to react in the wrong way.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 12:35 (Ref:3958729)   #97
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Ross Chastain brought in for Ryan, no timetable at all for the return. He is full time Xfinity for another team so split weekends could see another driver in the seat possibly.

https://racer.com/2020/02/19/chastai...in-for-newman/
Old 20 Feb 2020, 13:25 (Ref:3958745)   #98
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Can't believe he survived that crash, never mind that he's walked out of hospital so soon afterwards.

Incredible.
The restrictor plate races have been a total joke in one way or another since Earnhardt's death. So much of NASCAR is in fact between stage gimmicks and excessive "caution" flags. I've not been a regular follower of the NASCAR since 2001. Had brief periods of interest along the way like the early days of Montoya in the series but it was all fleeting and temporary.

None and I mean NONE of the new drivers in the past 10 years are interesting personalities in any way. Currently the most interesting content in NASCAR I think is Grand National (xfinity) series road races at The Glen, Mid Ohio, and Road America. But still that has been stained by the stages and cautions. The cautions may have something to do with the skill levels though. You see way more off course incidents and spins in the NASCAR Xfinity road race than you see in the Weathertech series or even Michelin Pilot Challenge.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 16:09 (Ref:3958775)   #99
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Are races like this what Nascar fans want? It seems like a shambles to me, but I'm not exactly the core audience.
I don't know anymore. I was core audience for awhile, but am no longer.

NASCAR can breathe a big sigh of relief. I can't help to think that THEY think this is good PR. They were in the "sporting news" up to Wednesday after the 500; that hasn't happened in a minute. All pub is good pub? This is the most traction in a NASCAR thread on 10ths in years. Maybe since Tony Stewart?

NASCAR will continue it's struggles, but I'm just glad Ryan is okay.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 17:13 (Ref:3958786)   #100
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Rubbin' is racing' at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
You see way more off course incidents and spins in the NASCAR Xfinity road race than you see in the Weathertech series or even Michelin Pilot Challenge.

Not to mention last corner bumps and runs.