Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 26 May 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3410899)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rounds 6 & 7: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit, May 30th - June 1st, 2014.

The Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit, will be the first of three double headers this season.

Deroit was originally the venue for the F1 Detroit Grand Prix, held from 1982-1988. It was dropped from the F1 calendar after 1988, when F1's governing body FISA declared the temporary pit area sub standard and also because of the drivers dislike of the event due to track disintegration, which was particularly bad that year.

It was planned to move the F1 event to a new circuit on Belle Isle in 1989 but no agreement was finalised and F1 went to Phoenix and Detroit became a CART event, with the race initially held on a slightly modified version of the F1 track. The event moved to the Belle Isle, where it was held from 1992-2001. In 1998 the track was extended from 2.1 mi / 3.4 km to 2.36 mi / 3.80 km

The race was revived from 2007-2008 as part of the IRL's IndyCar Series, using the original CART layout but was cancelled from 2009-2011, only to be revived again in 2012. Since 2013 the track has reverted to the 1998-2001 CART layout.

1982-1988 F1 track layout:

Original 1992-1997 CART track layout:

Current and 1998-2001 CART track layout:

Length: 2.36 mi / 3.80 km
Turns: 14
Lap record: 17 Jun 2000. Juan Pablo Montoya, Target Chip Ganassi, Lola B2K/00-Toyota RVA, 115.604 mph-184.966 kmh, 1 minute, 13.056 seconds. Cart FedEx Championship Series.

Last year's winner, race 1:
Mike Conway,
Dale Coyne Racing,
Dallara - Honda.

Laps: 70
Distance: 164.22 mi (264.286 km)
Race Time: 1:48:45
Average Speed: 90.753.

Last year's winner, race 2:
Simon Pagenaud,
Schmidt Peterson Hamilton HP Motorsports,
Dallara - Honda

Laps: 70
Distance: 164.22 mi (264.286 km)
Race Time: 1:56:15

Average Speed: 84.906.

TV Coverage:
ABC are televising both races, with the Green flag at 3:30pm ET.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 24 Jun 2014 at 23:36.
Old 26 May 2014, 20:27 (Ref:3411029)   #2
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is this a standing start or rolling start weekend or a bit of both?

and with that very good call behind them i wonder if that might be a normal thing? a red flag late in race if needed
Old 27 May 2014, 13:28 (Ref:3411309)   #3
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
is this a standing start or rolling start weekend or a bit of both?

and with that very good call behind them i wonder if that might be a normal thing? a red flag late in race if needed
I can't find anything about the start on either the IndyCar or the http://www.detroitgp.com/ websites.
Old 28 May 2014, 04:52 (Ref:3411608)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
CART simply omitted the chicane before the pits on the downtown circuit for 1989-1991. Beginning in 2007, there has been an extra curb on the inside to tighten up the right-hander at the end of the back stretch. With the return of the long course last year, a similar curb was added to the inside of Turn 3, making it more acute on the inside than it was in 1998-2001.

As for the start, they might consider Turn 1 to be too close to the start/finish line. Then again, if they did do a standing start, the front few to several rows might be able to go through Turns 1 and 2 flat-out, which could actually alleviate the accordion effect through there.
Old 30 May 2014, 02:55 (Ref:3412577)   #5
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in detroit at the moment with work so am popping along to the race on Saturday. As I've not seen indycar in the flesh I'm really looking forward to this!

So does the race start at half 3?or is that tape delayed coverage on TV? The indycar and detroit gp sites seem to lack a proper timetable.
Old 30 May 2014, 03:47 (Ref:3412582)   #6
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race is at 3:30.

Here is a complete schedule.
Old 30 May 2014, 04:41 (Ref:3412586)   #7
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
I'm in detroit at the moment with work so am popping along to the race on Saturday. As I've not seen indycar in the flesh I'm really looking forward to this!

I am hugely envious. I hope you enjoy it. Let us know what you thought
Old 30 May 2014, 13:30 (Ref:3412697)   #8
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post

So does the race start at half 3?or is that tape delayed coverage on TV? The indycar and detroit gp sites seem to lack a proper timetable.
Check out Atwater Block brewing and Slows BBQ if you've got time downtown!
Old 30 May 2014, 15:40 (Ref:3412742)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Practice 1 is underway.
Old 30 May 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3412814)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
RH-R tops P1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114206
Old 30 May 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3412842)   #11
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Practice 2 will be starting shortly.
Old 30 May 2014, 20:43 (Ref:3412903)   #12
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Pagenaud put in a 1:17.650 (110.573-mph), which is just two tenths off of the qualifying record. So, I think the existing record is in jeopardy, unless incidents and/or weather intervene.

For reference, the old CART record from 2000 is 1:13.056 (116.294-mph). Admittedly, however, the right-hander coming off the back stretch did not have that curb on the inside when CART ran the circuit, and therefore, that corner used to be much quicker. That change also makes the course a bit longer now, 2.385 miles instead of 2.360 miles when CART used the longer layout.
Old 30 May 2014, 20:48 (Ref:3412905)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Pagenaud put in a 1:17.650 (110.573-mph), which is just two tenths off of the qualifying record. So, I think the existing record is in jeopardy, unless incidents and/or weather intervene.

For reference, the old CART record from 2000 is 1:13.056 (116.294-mph). Admittedly, however, the right-hander coming off the back stretch did not have that curb on the inside when CART ran the circuit, and therefore, that corner used to be much quicker. That change also makes the course a bit longer now, 2.385 miles instead of 2.360 miles when CART used the longer layout.
Thanks for that. I had a devil of a time trying to unravel which track layout was used and when, what with various sources contradicting each other.
Old 30 May 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3412915)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I know what you mean. I've had to use a combination of books, online track databases, the race broadcasts, and finally, just some straight-up common sense to suss it out.

Algarve, Belle Isle, Brands Hatch, and Paul Ricard have been particular pains to sort out as far as who used what layout when, as well as how long all those layouts actually are.
Old 31 May 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3412963)   #15
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Thanks for that. I had a devil of a time trying to unravel which track layout was used and when, what with various sources contradicting each other.
x2

I haven't been able to follow but I really liked the layout last year. It changed back to the old layout last year, right?
Old 31 May 2014, 00:53 (Ref:3412977)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
x2

I haven't been able to follow but I really liked the layout last year. It changed back to the old layout last year, right?
I believe that's correct. Purist is the guy here, afaik, who knows more about track layouts, than anyone else on 10 - Tenths, so run it by him.
Old 31 May 2014, 01:09 (Ref:3412979)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Pageanaud tops P2.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114209
Old 31 May 2014, 05:59 (Ref:3413029)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
JHamilton, the Detroit Grand Prix circuit timeline goes like this.

1982- Downtown circuit with a hairpin just beyond Turn 5, followed by a 90 to the right and a 90 to the left, which puts you onto Congress right where the right/left meander starts.

1983-88- Downtown circuit essentially as pictured in the first circuit diagram in the opening post, though Turn 1 is pretty much semi-circular rather than a double-90.

1989-91- The 1983-88 downtown circuit, but without the chicane before the pits and start/finish.

1992-97- The short course layout on Belle Isle.

1998-01- The long course layout on Bell Isle.

2007-08, '12- The short course layout on Belle Isle with tightened Turn 8.

2013-Present- The long course layout on Belle Isle with tightened Turn 7.

I hope this clears things up.
Old 31 May 2014, 14:50 (Ref:3413178)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Castroneves on pole for 1st race

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114219

Pos Driver Team/Engine Time Gap
1. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy 1m17.5362s
2. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Honda 1m17.9788s +0.4426s
3. Jack Hawksworth Herta/Honda 1m18.0731s +0.5369s
4. Mike Conway Carpenter/Chevy 1m18.3015s +0.7653s
5. Ryan Briscoe Ganassi/Chevy 1m18.8098s +1.2736s
6. Juan Pablo Montoya Penske/Chevy 1m19.7296s +2.1934s
7. Sebastien Bourdais KV/Chevy 1m17.9806s Round 2
8. Tony Kanaan Ganassi/Chevy 1m18.0200s Round 2
9. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda 1m18.0355s Round 2 1
0. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Chevy 1m18.0630s Round 2
11. Carlos Munoz Andretti/Honda 1m18.1450s Round 2
12. Carlos Huertas Coyne/Honda 1m18.4772s Round 2
13. Sebastian Saavedra KV/Chevy 1m18.3622s Group 1
14. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda 1m18.5309s Group 2
15. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda 1m18.3689s Group 1
16. Will Power Penske/Chevy 1m18.6807s Group 2
17. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda 1m18.4709s Group 1
18. Marco Andretti Andretti/Honda 1m18.8743s Group 2
19. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda 1m18.5181s Group 1
20. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Chevy 1m19.1176s Group 2 2
1. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Honda 1m19.8292s Group 1
22. Mikhail Aleshin Schmidt/Honda 1m19.6300s Group 2
Old 31 May 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3413339)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Just missed the start but it appears to have been a clean one and then Power tangled with Pagenaud and Pagenaud's out.
Old 31 May 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3413342)   #21
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Just missed the start but it appears to have been a clean one and then Power tangled with Pagenaud and Pagenaud's out.
It was really clean start. No desperate attempts to do a standing start.
Old 31 May 2014, 20:15 (Ref:3413346)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Now we have the second caution of the day.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 00:09 (Ref:3413408)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I had to bail, as I was meeting up with friends but it sounds like the rest of the race really good.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114226

Congrats to Power.

Results - 70 laps:

Pos Driver Team/Engine Time/Gap

1. Will Power Penske/Chevy 1h49m29.9323s
2. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda +0.3308s
3. Tony Kanaan Ganassi/Chevy +5.5096s
4. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda +8.5951s
5. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy +10.7365s
6. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Honda +11.5074s
7. Carlos Munoz Andretti/Honda +14.8813s
8. Carlos Huertas Coyne/Honda +26.5965s
9. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Chevy +32.5852s
10. Marco Andretti Andretti/Honda +33.1818s
11. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Chevy +33.3522s
12. Juan Pablo Montoya Penske/Chevy +34.0094s
13. Sebastien Bourdais KV/Chevy +36.0240s
14. Sebastian Saavedra KV/Chevy +37.0532s
15. Ryan Briscoe Ganassi/Chevy +56.6632s
16. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Honda -1 lap*
17. Mikhail Aleshin Schmidt/Honda -2 laps*
18. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda -4 laps
19. Jack Hawksworth Herta/Honda -5 laps*

* Not running at finish

Retirements:

Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda 36 laps
Mike Conway Carpenter/Chevy 14 laps
Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda 4 laps
Old 1 Jun 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3413533)   #24
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the good result James Jakes had for Team Rahal last year, it's nice to see Graham Rahal has this track figured out this year, too. This team needs a result such as P2.

It's also nice to see TK and Wilson finish toward the front, and Huertas getting another Top 10 result.

Hats off to Will Power for the win from 16th starting position.

Here's hoping the cars which had contact with the barriers yesterday will each have a good race today, after having been repaired overnight.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3413591)   #25
vodka
Rookie

Lithuania
Vilnius
vodka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I questioned early second stop for TK and putting himself into that Power-like pit window, but it worked out perfectly. If you would watch closer at his restarts, you would see he is mega brave going on the outside of the first corner and makes 2-3 positions all the time. It's been always like that in this track, the guy seems to know some grippy places.

Oh and these Duals are great. I wish next year St pete and long beach would have it also, lots of racing, lots of action, great for the fans, great for the drivers