Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 7 Oct 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3932523)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, spot on there, I think.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 20:48 (Ref:3932551)   #27
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Motor Sport magazine hasn't really covered that much motorsports for some time. There's little in the way of news or race reports and no results. It's more of 'lifestyle' magazine these days
I disagree that it is a lifestyle magazine - it no longer has race reports and results but it is packed with excellent features and interviews about motorsport, as I would expect.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 22:40 (Ref:3932562)   #28
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Motor Sport magazine hasn't really covered that much motorsports for some time. There's little in the way of news or race reports and no results. It's more of 'lifestyle' magazine these days
It may not be reporting on many races these days, but Motorsport magazine has found itself a niche that has allowed it not just to survive but to flourish in the past few years, partly at the expense of Autosport, possibly due to the less hectic publishing schedule of having to assemble a magazine each week, allowing journalists more time to apply a little more polish to their articles.

I'll remember Autosport / MN with fondness, especially the first issue which had a byline / photocredit from me - copies of which tucked away safely for posterity.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 23:33 (Ref:3932565)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I Look at the 200 plus posts devoted to a shady sponsor in the F1 forum (who bloody cares ?) and contrast that with the desultory 23 marking Dan Gurney's death ...
As someone who contributed to the Rich Energy thread, but not the Gurney thread (i don't think) I believe you are missing an important nuance here.

The Dan Gurney passing is way more important to me. I have the Gurney bumper sticker.

However I am not inclined to post in that thread, I don't feel an affinity with the passing threads for various reasons. Something I've developed over the years. Even if I did I would have posted maybe once or twice.

The frivolous energy drink thread was a current topic and changing, so it would get more posts. Also it is frivolous. It is a different thing. As with journalism, there is a difference between quantity and quality.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 23:36 (Ref:3932566)   #30
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
I'll remember Autosport / MN with fondness,
Same here. Back in the seventies, long before the internet became info central I used to religiously get Autosport / Motoring News everyThursday morning on my way to work, spending large amounts of time in the bathroom. Sometimes Dad would come home on the Wednesday night with an early copy he had got from somewhere near Waterloo Stn.

When I moved to Australia in 1983 my Birthday present every year was an airmail subscription to Autosport.... Thursday's edition would arrive always on a Monday morning. Then that got a bit beyond my Birthday present budget and stopped. Compounded by work that involved being away for much of the week and missing its arrival.

It was my only way at the time of catching up on UK clubbie news / results of categories I used to run in. Plus catch up on the international scene. Buying hard copies nowadays in something I only do at airports etc to help pass waiting time.

Happy Days.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 04:05 (Ref:3932596)   #31
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Autosport's Facebook page not confirming anything re print edition - yet.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 06:03 (Ref:3932599)   #32
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a done deal. The editor is gone. There are 2-dozen ads in the October issue of F1 Racing advertising their Plus service, overpriced b.s. I'd be surprised if the Suzuka issue gets printed. That massively sucks....
Old 8 Oct 2019, 06:32 (Ref:3932609)   #33
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Everything that I was about to post has been written here!

So nice to know I'm with like minded people.

It's such a shame about AS and MN, but I contributed to their demise because I haven't bought them for years. I was always disappointed there was no online MN of any importance, maybe the name would have been saved had it had one.

The problem is there's so much info these days and no more time to consume it. Even typing this has to be at the expense of reading something else e g. Autosport.

Motor Sport magazine has found a great niche IMO combining in-depth F1 technicals with a love of sports cars, Le Mans and a great affection for the cars, personalities and happenings of the past. The articles are well written and have passion. It is the only magazine I read from cover to cover, and there is only one place in the whole house I have the peace and quiet to do so.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Oct 2019, 06:33 (Ref:3932610)   #34
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
As someone who contributed to the Rich Energy thread, but not the Gurney thread (i don't think) I believe you are missing an important nuance here.

The Dan Gurney passing is way more important to me. I have the Gurney bumper sticker.

However I am not inclined to post in that thread, I don't feel an affinity with the passing threads for various reasons. Something I've developed over the years. Even if I did I would have posted maybe once or twice.

The frivolous energy drink thread was a current topic and changing, so it would get more posts. Also it is frivolous. It is a different thing. As with journalism, there is a difference between quantity and quality.

A good point. I rarely post in such threads either as I often find them mawkish and crass . But I was (perhaps clumsily) making the point that ,for many , modern motorsport begins and ends with current F1 . I suspect only a tiny percentage of modern F1 fans even know about , let alone attend, the huge array of live motorsport we have in the UK .

For them , some ephemeral trivia about whose logo appears on an F1 car seems far more important than who was fastest at Shelsley Walsh (where?) or the programme for 2020 National racing events('that's like Goodwood innit ? ') and Autosport reflects this . We no longer have motorsport enthusiasts in any number, but we have a big F1 fanbase for whom such status just means watching too much TV .
Old 8 Oct 2019, 07:21 (Ref:3932614)   #35
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel sorry for the longtime freelance photographers and journalists who are now going to struggle to make a living if their Autosport/MN contracts are terminated.

These are the guys and girls who brought you the weekly club news. They are not f1 photographers who are on nice retainers from big teams but the humble people stood in tabards at some cold, wet club meeting trying to make an interesting photo from a 5 car race.

You have seen their names tagged in photos “Walker, Jones, Bourne etc” but these are the kind of people most affected by the demise.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3932626)   #36
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
A good point. I rarely post in such threads either as I often find them mawkish and crass . But I was (perhaps clumsily) making the point that ,for many , modern motorsport begins and ends with current F1 . I suspect only a tiny percentage of modern F1 fans even know about , let alone attend, the huge array of live motorsport we have in the UK .

For them , some ephemeral trivia about whose logo appears on an F1 car seems far more important than who was fastest at Shelsley Walsh (where?) or the programme for 2020 National racing events('that's like Goodwood innit ? ') and Autosport reflects this . We no longer have motorsport enthusiasts in any number, but we have a big F1 fanbase for whom such status just means watching too much TV .
That's really unfair. It's 2019 not 1969, no matter how much we wish otherwise.

Surely the problems of today are far more important than the victories of years ago? We can't affect what's happened but we can be interested in and try to influence what's happening.

As for fans only watching F1, I've no real interest in football or rugby but sometimes watch the top international games. Should I be banned from doing so because I don't also read about Dagenham Boadecias playing the Bromham Owl Appreciation Society in the Southern Zone 2 Wednesday League for Left Footed Players? If doesn't make me a bad person.

And your point about "rarely posting in tribute threads" really has echoes of my Woolworths comment earlier on.

IMHO of course

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Oct 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3932633)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I feel sorry for the longtime freelance photographers and journalists who are now going to struggle to make a living if their Autosport/MN contracts are terminated.

These are the guys and girls who brought you the weekly club news. They are not f1 photographers who are on nice retainers from big teams but the humble people stood in tabards at some cold, wet club meeting trying to make an interesting photo from a 5 car race.

You have seen their names tagged in photos “Walker, Jones, Bourne etc” but these are the kind of people most affected by the demise.
But won't they still have a place on the t'interweb?

That said as far as historics/hillclimbs and rallies are concerned Retro-Speed magazine may find its readership increase.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3932634)   #38
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

That said as far as historics/hillclimbs and rallies are concerned Retro-Speed magazine may find its readership increase.
How much club Motorsport is reported on the Autosport.com website, certainly no club race reports
Old 8 Oct 2019, 08:43 (Ref:3932639)   #39
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Where is Retro Speed? never heard of that one-think that is covered by Motorsport mag?
have been reading mags since 1955 but guess no further need for print.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3932640)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here you go.

http://www.retro-speed.co.uk/
Old 8 Oct 2019, 08:49 (Ref:3932642)   #41
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just seen in one of my FB feeds and advert for this:

https://motorracinguk.com/2019/10/03...available-now/

Issue 5 apparently. Not seen it before. Digital and print issues. Anyone know anything about it or read it?

If someone thinks this can work, maybe this is the answer for those of us that are national and club racing addicts?
Old 8 Oct 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3932644)   #42
andrewc
Veteran

I've not seen an actual copy of that.

For a while I tried to run an online news portal catering for clubman level racing - I considered the series where a well funded amateur could race and covered those.

The biggest problem was finding people who were willing to write reports for their particular series - despite those series probably writing a race report for their own website of social media stream. Photographers were slightly easier to find.

Maybe I should resurrect it.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3932696)   #43
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I must admit to not having read Motorsport News since it assumed that title.Autosport is an occasional indulgence if there is a report on an event I have an interest in,but sadly it has succumbed to the inevitable triumph of electronic media.It couldn't compete with something that put the information in front of the enthusiast in a fraction of the time.The publications that are less focused on the currency of their content and which produce interesting and well researched articles are better placed for survival.I had noticed quite a churn in the editorial staff of Autosport and I hope the people who have the advantage of listing the title on their CV's will find alternative jobs where they can use their experience.

As a side question,what happens to the show at the NEC now?It would be a bit odd to call it the Autosport International if the publication ceases to exist.Maybe an online version will find a niche as a subset of motorsport.com-any ideas?
Old 8 Oct 2019, 13:20 (Ref:3932697)   #44
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£10.99 per issue from this week!
Old 8 Oct 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3932700)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I had noticed quite a churn in the editorial staff of Autosport and I hope the people who have the advantage of listing the title on their CV's will find alternative jobs where they can use their experience.
We can all agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
As a side question,what happens to the show at the NEC now?It would be a bit odd to call it the Autosport International if the publication ceases to exist.Maybe an online version will find a niche as a subset of motorsport.com-any ideas?
According to the Twitter stuff (usual caveats), there will be no change to these including the Autosport/McLaren Driver of the Year Awards etc.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 13:32 (Ref:3932702)   #46
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosprout now £10.99 per week!
Old 8 Oct 2019, 13:59 (Ref:3932710)   #47
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
I have just seen that I nearly fell of my chair.....

BTW I have not bought a copy of Autosport for 3 or 4 years now. Up untill about 7 or 8 years ago I used to buy it ever week and did for about 15 years.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3932722)   #48
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If I were in the UK, I'd steal a case of them and sell them on E-Bay for a quid just to **** them off!
Old 8 Oct 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3932725)   #49
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
No one will buy it, so they can close it down, and they can then say it was because sales dropped below economic levels. It is just a self fulfilling situation.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 15:19 (Ref:3932727)   #50
andrewc
Veteran

Last ever issue may be collectable one day...