Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 12 Oct 2003, 21:46 (Ref:748782)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gil wins, Dixon is the champion

Well done Gil. That's quite a way to end your carrer, with a pole, a great drive and a win. Great stuff, and enjoy the rest of your life

Scott Dixon - 2003 IndyCar champion. You've been a class act all year, even with some back luck, accidents, mechanical woes...you came out on top in the end. Well done.

But let's hope Kenny's okay folks. His car did what it was supposed, designed to do...we were shown the replay, so thats a good sign. Otherwise...a good race.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 21:48 (Ref:748786)   #2
Knottsfreak
Rookie

Knottsfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn, I hope Kenny is Ok, I am so proud of Scott, way to go! It's always nice to retire with a win, I will miss Gil, good luck in the future.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 21:52 (Ref:748790)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shouldn't this be merged with the Texas race theread?
any way- good race, just a couple of bodged up calls for yellows, Kenny's okay but gil wins on his retirement? and dixon was right behind him? it ended so 'perfect.'
Old 12 Oct 2003, 21:53 (Ref:748791)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good news already. Just got word that Kenny is conscious and awake
Old 12 Oct 2003, 21:54 (Ref:748792)   #5
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Kenny okay? I was told on msn that he'd had an accident and it looked serious, but I can't find anything on it as yet. And brilliant for Gil, Dixon and rookie of the year Wheldon! yay!
Old 12 Oct 2003, 21:55 (Ref:748794)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Yes, great stuff from Dan, Rookie of the year and a third place finish to boot, his best IndyCar finish so far.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 12 Oct 2003 at 21:56.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 21:59 (Ref:748798)   #7
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Scott Dixon, another championship in the bag. Nice to see Gil win in his "final " race. Good to hear that Kenny is awake and alert, that was a helluva crash
Old 12 Oct 2003, 22:26 (Ref:748823)   #8
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Majic Scott, Fantastic!
Old 12 Oct 2003, 22:41 (Ref:748839)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top work by Gil and well deserved. Hope Brack gets back to raceing again, looking at the fence he hit I was surprised he survived at all.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 23:30 (Ref:748876)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To everyone who has ever complained about debris fencing, just imagine if you'd been sitting in that grandstand. The only report I've seen so far says 'serious but stable' but no details. Get well soon, Kenny.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 23:46 (Ref:748887)   #11
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
I'll echo those sentiments, it's a miracle he's still with us from what I've seen. Get well soon Kenny, you're a class act.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 23:52 (Ref:748889)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
It looks like he's gonna be okay

In a huge testimony to the safety standards of the current generation of IRL IndyCar chassis, Kenny Brack is awake and alert in a Dallas hospital following his horrific shunt in the closing laps of Sunday's Chevy 500 title decider at the Texas Motor Speedway.

Although the Swedish born Team Rahal driver is reported to have multiple fractures and is currently listed in serious but stable condition, the mere fact he survived one of the most violent impacts in IRL series history seems little less than miraculous. - From Crash.net - full atricle
Old 13 Oct 2003, 00:02 (Ref:748896)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Videos, pictures? Since I'm probably not going to be able to see the race with the poor coverage there is here...
Old 13 Oct 2003, 00:05 (Ref:748897)   #14
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
nothing I can find, so probably nothing avalible as yet.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 03:44 (Ref:748994)   #15
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations to Dixon on a well-deserved title, and it was sweet to see de Ferran winning his last race.

Undoubtedly, though, the main victor is Kenny Brack. I saw his crash live on tv and the images took my breath away. To those that have not seen yet the crash, it was similar to the one that took the life of Jeff Krosnoff in Toronto in 1996 - but Brack's crash was even more devastating, as it happened at higher speeds. Absolutely horrendous. It was one of the worse accidents I have ever seen.

To learn that Kenny somehow managed to survive and was even alert and talking to the rescue crew was almost unbelievable. What a relief. I wish Kenny all the best and a complete recovery - my thoughts are with him.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 03:58 (Ref:748998)   #16
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too thought that Kenny was a gonner when I saw the crash live on ESPN. How he could get through that and be consious is beyond me!

In regards to the Krosnoff crash in Tronto in 96, Kenny's was different in the he did not hit such a blunt object, and the car stayed together. Obviously had the crash happened back then, or ever a few years ago, the result might have been the same.

I think the thing most remarkable about the crash today was how violent it looked. Cars have hit the fence before and come apart and driver was ok, but the viotlent nature of how the car came off the fence and spun so much was what got me! I have never, and I mean never seen a car spin like that! I hope to hear some good news about Kenny, God willing he will pull through.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 05:58 (Ref:749042)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible crash...very thankful to hear that Kenny's injuries are not as bad as they could be. I've been fortunate to meet Kenny, and he is a very friendly driver who I wouldn't wish anything like this on. Hopefully he'll have a good rehab.

On the subject of the crash, I concur with bcobbus that it was different from Krosnoff's in that he didn't hit a tree sideways, and then the lampost, which split the car down the middle - had there been catch fencing closer to teh track as there was in this case, I think Jeff and the marshall might have faired better. I think Kenny was very fortunate that the car never made contact the lower concrete wall at the wrong angle.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Oct 2003, 06:26 (Ref:749058)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm so happy to wake up this morning and hear he has survived so relatively unscathed. I bet that crash validates Gil's decision to retire for him.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 06:46 (Ref:749076)   #19
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott claimed the title, many congrats, even he has to thank kanaan-castroneves suicide..
Will the bazilians be as friends as they've always been?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 09:19 (Ref:749209)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
unbelievable , thats all I can say.

they started to drop like flies there for a while , first Sam , then Kanaan and helio , i was for sure thinking the amazing was going to happen and Dixon would blow up or something and Gil would cruise to the championship.

but Gil's fairytail wasnt to be but full credit to him on ending his career on such a high note and in fantastic sytle.

well done to Dixon on an excellent year and he is a totally deserving champion.

Kenny Brack , what can you say except how on earth did he survive that ?

Im so gratefull that he is reasonably ok and wish him a full and speedy recovery.

this closes what trully has been the most amazing season in the IRL , I cant wait till next year but how can it top this season ???????
Old 13 Oct 2003, 09:33 (Ref:749226)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
It's gonna be a hard act to follow Hornish at Penske...Scheckter at Panther...the possibility of Carl Hass bringing a team...I'm counting down the days 'till Homestead
Old 13 Oct 2003, 09:53 (Ref:749249)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good race (well, till the end anyway)

Abit of an anti-climax to the championship, all of them were up the front until the various problems took them out, Dixon is a deserving champ though.

Kenny Brack is very lucky. I didn't think he had a hope....
Old 13 Oct 2003, 09:54 (Ref:749253)   #23
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
congrats to scotty dixon, 3 championships now - formula holden (the best of the lot ), indylights and now the IRL.....

congrats to gil on winning the race and a brilliant career
Old 13 Oct 2003, 10:09 (Ref:749275)   #24
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think he may even have won the new Zealand formula Ford championship as well gomick , i could be wrong but he might have ?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 10:16 (Ref:749286)   #25
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
yep he did

1994 : won the NZ Formula Vee championship at age 13 (was granted special lisense to compete)

1995 : Won NZ Formula Ford class 2 championship (13 wins from 14 starts)

1996 : Won NZ Formula Ford class 1 championship.

1997 : Thrid Australian Formula Holden series (Rookie of the year)

1998 : Won Australian Formula Holden championship (5 wins 5 2nds in 12 races)

1999 : 5Th in the Indylights series and 2nd in rookie of the year.

2000 : won Indylights championship (6 wins from 12 starts)

2001 : 8Th CART world series (Won rookie of the year)

2002 : 13th CART world series (changed teams mid season)

2003 : Won the Indycar series championship.

certainly an awesome list of accomplishments , and with such a bright future ahead of him.