Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give this first Russian race?
10 1 1.43%
9 0 0%
8 0 0%
7 2 2.86%
6 8 11.43%
5 12 17.14%
4 17 24.29%
3 11 15.71%
2 8 11.43%
1 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Oct 2014, 07:03 (Ref:3464330)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rate the race: Russian Grand Prix

What score do you give this first Russian race?
Old 13 Oct 2014, 07:13 (Ref:3464332)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A pretty poor 4, frankly.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 13 Oct 2014, 07:17 (Ref:3464337)   #3
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
A pretty poor 4, frankly.
Rather generous John, if I may say so.

For the first time in over 60 years I am questioning my sanity. Why do I still watch things like that?

It can only be reflex action.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 07:21 (Ref:3464340)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it's their first effort and, as a result Pirelli went very conservative on tyres, so trying not to be too critical, but yes, it wasn't good, Bob.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 13 Oct 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3464349)   #5
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all those who say current F1 is broken, it is not. This race reminds me of the "good old days".

I love current F1. This race though, gets a 4 and only so high because it felt like it might be a bit more lively early on, and the scenery was nice.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3464350)   #6
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing much happened meanwhile Hamilton's leading the whole race.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3464353)   #7
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sorry guys, dead boring. I actually fell asleep at one point .
Old 13 Oct 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3464363)   #8
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Rather generous John, if I may say so.

For the first time in over 60 years I am questioning my sanity. Why do I still watch things like that?

It can only be reflex action.
Yesterday I came to the conclusion that the only reason I watch this thing is 'in case I miss something'. In the past I was genuinely excited and looking forward to an F1 weekend... no longer. This was a waste of two hours. 0/10 from me.

Hamilton romped home - probably on half throttle because he has such a ridiculous car advantage - and his only challenger came from dead last to second with tyres that could probably do another race and without breaking a sweat.

As I said on another thread, thankfully I recorded the BTCC telecast and was able to watch a truly fantastic Ginetta Junior race for 14-16 year olds on the Brands Hatch GP circuit. Maybe F1 needs to get down off its high horse and take a look at how those kids can put on such a riveting piece of entertainment in cheap, simple cars.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3464389)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
7 - It was a very decent race. And I do think there is something fundamentally wrong if manipulated tyres are considered as a true fix.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 09:32 (Ref:3464392)   #10
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
6 - I think the track is OK. Frenetic opening few laps, but then settled down into a bit of a procession. Rosberg's enforced strategy would not have worked at any other track, and I don't think it will work here next year when they are back on chewing gum tyres.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3464393)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
3. And I consider that generous. I quite liked the track but as a motor racing spectacle it didn't even get off the ground. Stunningly dull.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3464399)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It was 6. There was some battling going on midfield. We had a driver that moved from last to 2nd. My senses weren't precisely overwhelmed mind you but it was OK.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3464405)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The painted lines around the track were quite pretty, so it was not all dull, and we did get to see Mr Putin and that other dictator sitting together in shirt sleeves. Very relaxed!

And no one was hit by a missile!! Perhaps I have been a little harsh in my initial judgement?

Bauble.

PS: Why is there not a 'turkey' icon?
Old 13 Oct 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3464410)   #14
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
6 from me. Not much edge-of-the-seat stuff but pleasantly enjoyable.

Once again the latest Tilkedrome provided acres of run-off for drivers to use however they pleased. The powers-that-be really need to get a grip of this and come up with something that retains the safety of big run-offs but provides a real penalty every time they put a wheel off.

Pirelli PR department had the opportunity to show that they can make tyres that are durable and perform. Trouble is, that's not what people want. I continue to believe that drivers should be given more choice. How about bringing all four compounds; drivers get one set of each for FP1; then can choose whatever they want for the rest of the weekend (with an overall limit on number of sets)?
Old 13 Oct 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3464411)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Some grumps we have here! I can only assume people were cranky and tired after watching WEC and Bathurst.

And to those of you who watched the NASCAR as well...well, I'm in awe of your insanity.

Old 13 Oct 2014, 10:22 (Ref:3464418)   #16
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After changing time zones on Friday I wish I could have fallen asleep for this one!
Old 13 Oct 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3464426)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Some grumps we have here! I can only assume people were cranky and tired after watching WEC and Bathurst.

And to those of you who watched the NASCAR as well...well, I'm in awe of your insanity.

Not grumpy at all - just honest.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3464437)   #18
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boring as bat ****, when to bed half way through. After watching Bathurst all day and having to put up with Hamilton driving around in front and when they went on board it sounded like he was taking his mother to the shops
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:22 (Ref:3464442)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I fell asleep after about 15 minutes and woke as Hamilton took the chequered flag. Bathurst only seemed slightly better but was boring as hell this year but then I don't follow V8s so I don't really know what's what.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:32 (Ref:3464447)   #20
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the race track is very visually appealing, and its fascinating to see the cars racing there. However, this race was a little underwhelming. I didn't see much battles going on. Rosberg eliminated much of drama after the first lap.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:54 (Ref:3464452)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8man View Post
Boring as bat ****, when to bed half way through. After watching Bathurst all day and having to put up with Hamilton driving around in front and when they went on board it sounded like he was taking his mother to the shops
I thought he was.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3464453)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A rather tedious race and I think largely due to the tyre choice on a very smooth, non abrassive surface. I was hopng for the race to finally come alive in the last 10 laps or so but no, that didn't even happen. 3

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 13 Oct 2014 at 12:05. Reason: typo
Old 13 Oct 2014, 12:02 (Ref:3464460)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Terrible "circuit" and a bland race. Really bad, I fell asleep twice.

I gave it a 1.

These 90 degree turns with incredibly short apexes just make terrible tracks. You only can take 1 line through them. Give them a track with nice long apex options, then you will get multiple lines and much more varied racing. Example, Dunlop hairpin at Nurburgring GP is a hairpin, but its a great hairpin, why? Because it has a fast approach, you can overtake inside or outside, it is banked and you can take multiple lines through the corner. The hairpins at most new tilke tracks are flat, have a short apex (more of a clipping point) and have only 1 line through them.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3464476)   #24
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing we can all agree about is that one of the most overhyped new GPs of the last years is finally over
Old 13 Oct 2014, 13:42 (Ref:3464489)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Someone has voted this race as a 10! I didn't know Putin was registered on Tenths