Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 29 Jan 2004, 12:09 (Ref:855038)   #1
Ratbag
Rookie

Ratbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Non of you know what your talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOKEING GUYS, I love ya work!!! Now that i have your attention i would like to say hello from QLD Australia.Great forum, just what i was searching for and i notice some Aussies on aswell..

I have just found my passion for shifter karts and wont rest till i have one..I am thinking about 125 but 250 would be nice. I was wondering if i could get some advice of some of you about running cost regarding tyres and engine wear on these beasts..

Exluding freek failure How many hours is average between rebuild and how many hours are raced on a average race weekend??

How many races are in a meet for each entrent given they dont break down or crash out?? How many races does a set of new slicks last on average???

Please keep in mind that i would be at the botom end of the superkart budget with about $Au 5-6k for a kart and an estimated budget of 1 rebuild, 2-3 sets of tyres per season (6-8 race meets). After paying for general expences like licence, race fees,travel ect there wont be a lot left over. Sorry for the newbie Questions but i havnt even been to a meet yet and still a month to go LOL i hate waiting.

Anyhow any advice is apreciated and would love to hear from anyone expecialy Aussies

Regards,
Ratbag

Last edited by Ratbag; 29 Jan 2004 at 12:13.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 21:49 (Ref:855695)   #2
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd better ask this question on another forum as no-one looks at this one. The only reason i did was because it is the first new name to appear on the last posted by in the margin for about two weeks try this on racers forum or other single seaters forum best o' luk

Nippy
Old 30 Jan 2004, 08:18 (Ref:856056)   #3
Ratbag
Rookie

Thanx brother
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:15 (Ref:856354)   #4
yelodwg
Racer

United States
Arnold, CA, USA
yelodwg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ratbag, I have one question right off, have you ever driven a kart? The reason I ask is a 125, let alone a 250 can be monsters to start off with. Not saying you can't, but...

I have a feeling another Aussie may pop on here

If I don't reply for 24 hours or so, I have to go out of town in a bit, but I'll check back upon return.

Tom Stephens
www.kartfinder.com

Last edited by yelodwg; 30 Jan 2004 at 13:16.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 11:58 (Ref:857481)   #5
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
though i have never driven a shifter kart i agree with the above. I have a 125 direct drive kart and that was a monster to get used to
Old 31 Jan 2004, 11:59 (Ref:857483)   #6
Ratbag
Rookie

Hi Tom
I have driven a sprint kart and I have done a little rally and raced motox for several years. No i havnt yet driven a shift kart but Trust me i will be ok. The Non gerbox Karts just dont do it for me as i am 32 and looking for something more hearty.

I know i will have to learn to drive the kart but i know i will do that in no time at all.. I am still aways from getting a kart and would practice much before i start racing but its just one of those things i know i can do with a bit of practice. Even if i am not super quick i will be compeditive.

Not trying to toot my own horn or anything but like i said i am 32 and wouldnt buy something i didnt think i could drive or learn to drive very quick. I agree 250 may be unwise to start for a newbe so 125 it will be but i will go to 250 1day.. I think my biggest learning curve will be the tech side of things hence my dumb Questions...Peace

Regards,
Ratbag

Last edited by Ratbag; 31 Jan 2004 at 12:03.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:07 (Ref:857488)   #7
Ratbag
Rookie

I have also draged a 600hp monster.. Thats why i fell in love with superkarts the first time i even heard of them. I love power and speed, BRING ON THE MONSTER!!!!!!!

Regards,
Ratbag
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:35 (Ref:857517)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
welcome to the forum ratbag.
I must apologise to everyon for not being around lately , crazy times and all.

Im from Australia as well ratbag and im an ex karter (allthough only sprint karts)

certainly sounds like your gonna have some fun i wish you best and hope you enjoy it heaps
Old 31 Jan 2004, 17:36 (Ref:857760)   #9
yelodwg
Racer

United States
Arnold, CA, USA
Ratbag, a very good answer...the worst I could imagine is you would be quite surprised. But from your experience that surprise would just put a big smile on your face

Don't ever think you're asking stupid questions, we've all been there! But I think you need some more Aussies to answer your specific questions. I'll try to get one of my friends who has driven 250's to come into this thread and try to help.

Tom
Old 1 Feb 2004, 01:11 (Ref:858398)   #10
Ratbag
Rookie

Thanx everyone you are true gentlemen.

I hope people come back to the forum as i am guna need all the help i can get hehehe,i will certainly stick around.

I did get some good answers for my silly questions in another forum. Apparently i can get 3-5 race meetings from a set of slicks on a 125(average) , 4-5ookm on top end and up to 1500km on bottom end so with just a bit of luck aswell i will be able to afford to race hehehe. Thanx DWG Thanx Marcus...Peace

Ratbag
Old 1 Feb 2004, 01:55 (Ref:858434)   #11
Nigel Wilson
Rookie

England
Washington
Nigel Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try logging on to www.karting.co.uk
Old 1 Feb 2004, 10:02 (Ref:858631)   #12
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
tassuperkart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heya ratty
Firstly, have a look at this website:
www.ozsuperkart.net
Click around and follow the links to clubs and you will find there is a very healthy Qld club running.

Most of your info Re: running costs is about right.
Allow more for fuel and oil. I would certainly not run a GP bike engine without stripping and re-ringing it more than a couple of meetings at a time but you can get good mileage out of the pistons if you keep the revs down a bit.
I keep both the F/E and the 125 below 13,000rpm and piston wear is marginal.
I would say you would be pretty lucky to get 500 K's out of a piston, 250 to 300 more likely, but even so, there is plenty of miles available on them if you keep an eye on them for cracks and ring groove wear.

Full leathers are required for any 250 category so factor in a heap of dough for those iffen you are aiming for a 250.

I would suggest you leave the 250 singles (IC/E) alone for a bit as those karts are just a bit too fragile when they have to be pushed to the limits they are.
5 of 6 grand will get you a ****e'er 250 IC/E but that much will get you a fine 125 or even a crappy F/E250.
The IC/E class is slowly dying in Oz now due to the high maintenance and fragile nature of the engines.

A reasonable 125 is lapping so close to an IC/E now and are far more reliable in the long run.

You can get yorself a ****etty 250 F/E for that much freight and they are as reliable, if not more reliable than an IC/E 250 but that level of kart is probably not for a beginner.

I see you have run sprintkarts so that sure helps but think carefully about chucking yourself into the F/E category where you will unload a set of tyres every meeting and have enough rubber left to have a practice next meeting.
Factor in double for a top end rebuild as well.
Not a cheap category.

I have just sold my F250E but I still have my old 125 and when you add it all up, the 125 represents the very best value for money!
Engines are reliable and cheap to buy and maintain. There is heaps of hotrod gear available if you want to go broke and the karts are very driveable compared to the big inch categories.

L8tr dude
Evan
Old 3 Feb 2004, 07:56 (Ref:861118)   #13
Ratbag
Rookie

Hay Evan
Thanx mate, lots of good advice there. I have been to those websites you mention but hadnt searched all the links. you are also correct about the 250's, i did read that the IC/E calass was dying so i have decided to go for a 125 and pehaps look at the F/E class in a few years..I will have roughly 5k to spend on a 125(kart only) so i should get a compeditive one for that..

I was worried that if i got a 125 it would be gutless and i may regret it and want a 250 but i only hear good things about 125GPkart . I dont have the experiance, know how or funds for the top class so 125 it is..Im sure it will have plenty of vroom for me.

Thanx all you gentlemen for your help..Peace

Ratbag
Old 3 Feb 2004, 08:13 (Ref:861123)   #14
Ratbag
Rookie

BTW

I dont see anything at www.karting.co.uk that pertains to shifterkarts.. I get depressed when i think of direct drive karts and 1km tracks lol hehehe. I am to old to keep the pace for 20 laps on a 800m track against 16 year old kids hehe..Peace

Last edited by Ratbag; 3 Feb 2004 at 08:15.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 12:03 (Ref:861290)   #15
BoatOwner
Rookie

BoatOwner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aren't 125cc shifters primarily raced on kart tracks? 250's mainly on big tracks?

32 is nowhere near too old to drive on sprint tracks. A 125 shifter on a sprint track is awesome!!! I can imagine it not being nearly as much fun on a large track.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:18 (Ref:861354)   #16
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes 125's AND 250's both race mainly on kart tracks. Certainly at Kimbolton there are a large amount. Only 250's tend to race on car circuits and even then they have to have long circuit bodywork which (i am no expert on this) but i have been told can cost £800+
Old 3 Feb 2004, 15:54 (Ref:861496)   #17
yelodwg
Racer

United States
Arnold, CA, USA
Karts on a sprint track, karts on the long track...it's all a blast!

Tom Stephens
www.kartfinder.com
www.tvracer.com
Old 4 Feb 2004, 07:01 (Ref:862278)   #18
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
"I can imagine it not being nearly as much fun on a large track"

Well dude you can imagine that all you like.
I race my 125 on both long track and short track and I can tell you that short track in a shifter is a pain, literally. Having said that, I dont use an MX based slowpoke engine with nice wide ratios in the gears, I use a Honda RS125 which simply blasts around short sprint tracks but that frenetic style of motoring is not a lot of fun compared to0 the thrill of giving it the berries on the long circuit where the engine does what it is designed to do.
I also enjoy stuffing up the slower 250 singles as well.
They get a bit snaky when they get hosed by a wailing 125 and the 125's cost about 1/3 to run!

try one out dude, you will not bother with sprints in a shifter again.

L8tr
E

125 on longtrack is simply awesome with top speeds approaching 190Kph for better aerodynamically set up karts.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 11:41 (Ref:862507)   #19
Ratbag
Rookie

I am with Tas all the way

Here in Queensland there are only two tracks that the superkart club runs and are both car quality car tracks. This is the same with most of the clubs in other states of Australia as far as i know exept the otherv states have much better tracks lol.. Correct me anyone if i am wrong but in OZ all superkart classes including direct drive classes are on the long tracks.

Sure sprints are fun but you cant even compare that to a long track. When you add more horsepower,6speeds and 3-4km tracks its pure racing...No gears no tauque.

Regards
Ratbag
Old 5 Feb 2004, 06:37 (Ref:863651)   #20
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
On the money dude, on the money.
here here!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 08:30 (Ref:863695)   #21
Ratbag