Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2020, 18:11 (Ref:3979225)   #1426
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Firstly...
1. one has to assume that by 2024 things will back to normal but if covid is longer lasting, wouldn't content be more valuable in the future. imo people are going to go nuts for sports when they come back and people will pay...time will tell.

2. they have been saying that for years but always new venues opting to pay more and more. post covid, countries may prioritize tourism and investments into attracting more visitors...again time will tell.

3. fair point but perhaps why we are seeing more street courses being used and street circuits place the excitement in urban centers close to the hotels and entertainment zones...time will tell.

4. only so many sponsors you can get. cant get another beer company when you already have Heineken, dont need another telecom partner when you have TATA etc. will have to see how they do when their existing deals end...so time will tell.

about the loans...one can sell their equity/shares and the loans would still be owed by the corporation and not the shareholder doing the selling.

that said, i dont disagree with your points though...i have no idea what the global economy is going to look like in a couple of years.
Old 29 May 2020, 18:53 (Ref:3979230)   #1427
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Rokit cancelled the contract as they were not getting the exposure on the race track that it was/wasn't paying for, so it could be Williams who were technically, through no fault of their own, in breach of the terms.

Rokit just let Williams announce the news to not make Rokit look bad, a mutually amicable split.

Just a thought
Old 29 May 2020, 19:08 (Ref:3979235)   #1428
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Maybe Rokit cancelled the contract as they were not getting the exposure on the race track that it was/wasn't paying for, so it could be Williams who were technically, through no fault of their own, in breach of the terms.

Rokit just let Williams announce the news to not make Rokit look bad, a mutually amicable split.

Just a thought
True. And maybe Rokit sold a gazillion phones last year, each one coming with free cans of Rok, Rich Energy and T-minus??
Old 30 May 2020, 05:45 (Ref:3979259)   #1429
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
True. And maybe Rokit sold a gazillion phones last year, each one coming with free cans of Rok, Rich Energy and T-minus??
Currently their 3d pro phone which was £249 is now £99 plus 11 voluntary payments of £9.99 if you choose to pay them...what sort of deal is that?!

https://rokitphones.com/uk/phones/
Old 30 May 2020, 06:36 (Ref:3979261)   #1430
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Currently their 3d pro phone which was £249 is now £99 plus 11 voluntary payments of £9.99 if you choose to pay them...what sort of deal is that?!

https://rokitphones.com/uk/phones/
LOL, maybe they think that’s how sponsorship works too?
Old 30 May 2020, 06:54 (Ref:3979262)   #1431
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
1. one has to assume that by 2024 things will back to normal but if covid is longer lasting, wouldn't content be more valuable in the future. imo people are going to go nuts for sports when they come back and people will pay...time will tell.

2. they have been saying that for years but always new venues opting to pay more and more. post covid, countries may prioritize tourism and investments into attracting more visitors...again time will tell.

3. fair point but perhaps why we are seeing more street courses being used and street circuits place the excitement in urban centers close to the hotels and entertainment zones...time will tell.

4. only so many sponsors you can get. cant get another beer company when you already have Heineken, dont need another telecom partner when you have TATA etc. will have to see how they do when their existing deals end...so time will tell.

about the loans...one can sell their equity/shares and the loans would still be owed by the corporation and not the shareholder doing the selling.

that said, i dont disagree with your points though...i have no idea what the global economy is going to look like in a couple of years.

On the loan front, surely Latif effectively 'owns' via his £50m loan secured on all Williams assets, who is going to invest more money with no security?

On the income front, Williams F1 revenue last year was only £95M and that included sponsorship income now lost or terminated, some of which will be repalced this year by Latif. So even with the budget cap of £130M, Williams is still short by perhaps £40M to put itself on the level playing field that Claire wants.

So, whoever buys it or invests in will also need to put in extra funding each year for probably the next 3 years whilst Williams re-builds revenue from sponsorship and perhaps better WCC results.

I don't think the F1 teams will ever deliver the sort of valuation they have in the past, generally they are becoming a sort of 'distress' sale that need further investment or partial salvation.

Sad to see Williams where they are, the last true privateer team run on their wits for decades.
Old 30 May 2020, 16:57 (Ref:3979311)   #1432
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Given that Williams is a listed company I suppose it is possible that the announcement had to be made for compliance reasons.After all.it didn't explicitly state that only a sale would be contemplated and I don't see Frank and Claire selling unless all other options have been exhausted.
Old 30 May 2020, 17:19 (Ref:3979315)   #1433
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I get the impression that there is more to the split than simply ROKIT not making payments.

ROKIT's presence in motorsport seems to be on the rise (W Series, FE, BTCC....)
The original 3yr deal was replaced with a 5yr deal, and expanded to include their drinks and cities brands.

This seems to have been a result of some disagreement arising between WGPH and ROKIT, and WGPH have gone public first. It's a common tactic when companies have a disagreement, that you try and get your narrative out first. 'We've met all our contractual obligations', which could also be interpreted as 'we're not prepared to be flexible with ROKIT, and work together for both our benefits'.
Old 30 May 2020, 17:41 (Ref:3979320)   #1434
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I get the impression that there is more to the split than simply ROKIT not making payments.

ROKIT's presence in motorsport seems to be on the rise (W Series, FE, BTCC....)
The original 3yr deal was replaced with a 5yr deal, and expanded to include their drinks and cities brands.

This seems to have been a result of some disagreement arising between WGPH and ROKIT, and WGPH have gone public first. It's a common tactic when companies have a disagreement, that you try and get your narrative out first. 'We've met all our contractual obligations', which could also be interpreted as 'we're not prepared to be flexible with ROKIT, and work together for both our benefits'.
It terms of getting one's narrative out first, it could also mean, "We've honoured our side of the deal but they haven't".
Old 30 May 2020, 18:34 (Ref:3979327)   #1435
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It terms of getting one's narrative out first, it could also mean, "We've honoured our side of the deal but they haven't".
Possibly. I'm just surmusing. Usually I would expect a joint statement, or comment from both parties by now.
Old 30 May 2020, 20:37 (Ref:3979352)   #1436
peebee2
Veteran

Maybe, maybe, but much more likely to be the obvious.

Companies House shows you hundreds of companies, ever changing names, ever changing directors, most no money.

The deal was a surprise to start with, and the three years into five last summer was a dead giveaway for a typical exchange of broken promises for bigger future promises.

Last edited by peebee2; 30 May 2020 at 20:42.
Old 31 May 2020, 04:05 (Ref:3979383)   #1437
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sad to see Williams where they are, the last true privateer team run on their wits for decades.
IMO, replacing Pat Symonds with Paddy Lowe was a mistake and not taking more Mercedes listed parts was a mistake. Jordan was in a similar place -- uncompetitive, no money -- but the model of using complete McLaren rear-ends and later complete Mercedes rear-ends on their cars has served them well.
Old 31 May 2020, 07:20 (Ref:3979395)   #1438
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
IMO, replacing Pat Symonds with Paddy Lowe was a mistake and not taking more Mercedes listed parts was a mistake. Jordan was in a similar place -- uncompetitive, no money -- but the model of using complete McLaren rear-ends and later complete Mercedes rear-ends on their cars has served them well.
Spot on. Ego has killed a great team
Old 31 May 2020, 16:20 (Ref:3979482)   #1439
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, you just had to wait for it........

https://twitter.com/rich_energy/stat...44623748382721
Old 31 May 2020, 16:38 (Ref:3979484)   #1440
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post

I have a bad feeling about this.
Old 31 May 2020, 16:45 (Ref:3979488)   #1441
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I have a bad feeling about this.
If there is even any substance in the story it just goes to show the depth of merde Williams must be in to even consider the thought.
Fire and frying pan spring to mind.
Old 31 May 2020, 17:20 (Ref:3979496)   #1442
headlesschicken
Rookie

headlesschicken should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is at least a year old presentation, Rexona is still on the car....
Old 31 May 2020, 18:07 (Ref:3979509)   #1443
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

FFS can you imagine.... and to think I though Jaguar F1 was a mess ....
Old 31 May 2020, 22:46 (Ref:3979534)   #1444
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

They are tiresome. You are right, it was expected.
Old 31 May 2020, 23:34 (Ref:3979536)   #1445
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When (if) Rich Energy has anything important to say, nobody will believe them. I had a thought earlier that made me look forward to the future. That is the day Rich Energy finally disappears.

Richard
Old 1 Jun 2020, 13:13 (Ref:3979618)   #1446
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschicken View Post
That is at least a year old presentation, Rexona is still on the car....
Rexona and Williams parted company at the beginning of January. According to this article, when they signed with Williams in 2015, the Rexona deal was apparently worth €15m.

https://insidersport.com/2020/01/07/...d-rexona-exit/
Old 4 Jun 2020, 15:32 (Ref:3980178)   #1447
Moneyseeker
Veteran

An ex -insiders take on how Williams got where they are today...

https://the-race.com/formula-1/an-ex...eams-mistakes/
Old 4 Jun 2020, 16:33 (Ref:3980190)   #1448
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
An ex -insiders take on how Williams got where they are today...

https://the-race.com/formula-1/an-ex...eams-mistakes/

Very interesting article. Hope Williams can have a better season than last. Testing pace suggests improvement, so fingers crossed
Old 5 Jun 2020, 12:21 (Ref:3980311)   #1449
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
There was this on YouTube too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Otp4zwabVQ

How F1 Champions became backmarkers.

by CrankeeYankeeF1

Very well laid out summary of how Williams got to their present state.

Particular emphasis being placed on Bernie's 1997 F1 Concorde Agreement that caused the teams' share of the revenue to drop from 85% of the revenue earned by Bernie to 23%. Another boost to the manufacturers by depriving the smaller teams of revenue.

P.S. Much like the over priced PUs that we are currently stuck with.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3980336)   #1450
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
There was this on YouTube too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Otp4zwabVQ

How F1 Champions became backmarkers.

by CrankeeYankeeF1

Very well laid out summary of how Williams got to their present state.

Particular emphasis being placed on Bernie's 1997 F1 Concorde Agreement that caused the teams' share of the revenue to drop from 85% of the revenue earned by Bernie to 23%. Another boost to the manufacturers by depriving the smaller teams of revenue.

P.S. Much like the over priced PUs that we are currently stuck with.
There seems to be a few videos on YouTube about Williams and how they got to where they are now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZRO...gjDl-GRgu_FoNo