Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 Jun 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1342774)   #51
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzer
How Tom Kristensen never made it into F1 is beyond me
Liz's comments perfectly encompass the reason why TK's career in F1 was shortlived.

You have to be a self-centred so and so to survive in that business. Take Mr Mansell for example. Very successful, but a pain in the *** to work with. Patrick Head commented 'If I could have kept him in a box, taken him out for the race and then locked him back in it until the next one I would have done just that'. After Mario Andretti had been his partner for one season in America he said it was the worst time in his career.

Speed, care of the car etc. are naturally of paramount importance but number one in the requirements for success in endurance racing is the ability to work as a team member. I have no doubt that TK possesses great skill in that area and encourages and supports his team to realise their goals.

As time goes by many will remember the Audi R8/Kristensen era more fondly than perhaps they do at the moment.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1342775)   #52
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think a strong case can be made for Tom as the 'greatest', within the constraints of comparing different eras. Undoubtedly he is the guy you would want in your car at the moment. Not only that, but when a tricky or long stint comes up he is in there.

Ickx. A great man too. I feel both these drivers share a lot.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1342795)   #53
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's also worth bearing in mind that we are comparing the retired Jacky Ickx with the still-active Tom Kristensen. Not to take anything away from Ickx, but Kristensen may still win Le Mans again, perhaps many times. If there is a Joest Audi R10 at La Sarthe next year, and if Kristensen's in it, I wouldn't bet against it winning.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1342799)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Without getting into the statistics debate which IMHO is silly, I'd just like to say that if someone had told me ten years ago Kristensen would be the all-time "winningest" driver at Le Mans, I wouldn't have believed it.

Absolutely spot on Cy. Lets face it, none of us ever thought JIs record would be beaten, although many (including me) thought Dalmas might get close. The guy is a great driver and has had the fortune to always be in the right place at the right time with terrific teammates. Its a stellar achievement and whether he is better than Jackie is toatlly irrelevant. (Just like the comments about whether Schumacher is better than Senna...... I know the answer, of course...... )
Old 29 Jun 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1343026)   #55
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
Dalmas another person who never had it good in F1, too... Mind you, can say that for quite a number of people - in some ways Lehto, also Lammers, Boullion, Lamy, Comas etc... - shows you don't just need F1 to prove yourself to be a great driver!
Unfortunate most people don't look further then F1.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1343168)   #56
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Impossible to compare eras I agree. TK's success at LM is incredible agreed, but one point as stated, not quite the same level of opposition that Ickx got in his days.
From my own viewpoint, I much prefer the Ickx era when men were men, far more dangerous and more often than not only 2 drivers per car. The GT40s, 917s and Group C cars were far better looking than any Audi R8!
Old 29 Jun 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1343297)   #57
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi R8 certainly played a huge part in Kristensen's success, but, legendary now as it has to be called, I think the R8 represents everything that's dull - it's always reliable, it's a very ordinary looking prototype - nothing really stands out about it, and it makes one of the least interesting engine notes for sportscar racing. Can't take it's success and reputation away from it though!

They say a truly legendary winning package doesn't have anything "special" or "revolutionary" about it - it's just very good in every department. Same can be said for the R8 and Tom Kristensen, I guess...
Old 29 Jun 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1343300)   #58
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Audi R8 certainly played a huge part in Kristensen's success, but, legendary now as it has to be called, I think the R8 represents everything that's dull - it's always reliable, it's a very ordinary looking prototype - nothing really stands out about it, and it makes one of the least interesting engine notes for sportscar racing.
Same as the Porsche 956/962 really, what a dull car that is! Yet everyone keeps going on about how they want Group C back. Wait a couple of years and the R8 will have its nostalgic fan base.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1343306)   #59
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True. Will be strange in years to come to see R8's in historic prototype events...
Old 30 Jun 2005, 04:59 (Ref:1343478)   #60
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
My 2 p... Jacky Ickx became part of the history, not only with his victories, but due to the way he got them : in 1969 walking across the starting straight, then battle for the chequered flag, 1977(?) joining a team who had its car in the bottom of the overall to get the trophee, retiring then coming back for a last win...

People use to become part of the story when the party's over. Tom K has still a lot to say and to do... he's still young... (a real gentleman, if you ask me, BTW ; I won't forget him spoting me on in the paddock with my Bentley jacket while I was asking him "go for a sixth one ?" and answering "hey, nice jacket you've got there !")

Times have changed too. Le Mans in the 60'-70' and early 80' was an endurance race. Jacky Ickx describe it more like a 24 hours sprint now. Cars are more reliable, faster... different.

For Tom K, I consider myself lucky to live an area with such a pilot... I'll be able to say "I was there" later...
Old 30 Jun 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1343579)   #61
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
True. Will be strange in years to come to see R8's in historic prototype events...
One is running in HSR already!
Old 1 Jul 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1344886)   #62
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Wait a couple of years and the R8 will have its nostalgic fan base.

Oh hell, does that mean that even I will have a soft spot for it in years to come..........
Old 1 Jul 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1344915)   #63
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Probably so - I can see you now, at the 2031 Goodwood Festival of Speed...
"Now those were proper sportscars! - Oh look it's Tom K driving that, he's getting on a bit..."
Old 10 Oct 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1429739)   #64
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

On Infoscourse today : an interview of Tom Kristensen... in English !

Nice move by our french news' providers... enjoy !