Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2013, 12:26 (Ref:3254978)   #76
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So Montreal have foxes That's interesting !
Old 29 May 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3255022)   #77
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry Bob, but that last post is reminiscent of an old Hinterland Who's Who on CBC.

Lor-a-mussy.
Old 29 May 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3255061)   #78
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rodent Power. It is the future. You know it.

Based on my extensive* analysis of that first photo, I would say that the Groundhog is going approximately** 2.35 times as fast as the McLaren. I suggest a whole new direction for F1 - rodent-assisted powertrains.***

*not really
**give or take a few dozen standard deviations
***may not actually be the best idea ever
Old 29 May 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3255093)   #79
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually had my hopes up there for a minute when I saw Last Page under the thread title.

Old 29 May 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3255188)   #80
Steelepunk
Rookie

Australia
Calgary, Canada
Steelepunk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last summer flew out east and went on an Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec City-Halifax train trip and got to the GP. Montreal is an awesome city and do a great job with the race.

Only been to 2 of the M's but the main differences I noticed was Melbourne puts on a bigger "show" as there are so many more side attractions on and off the track and the V8's add a lot of interest to locals.
Montreal is a lot more of a party atmosphere & fellow race goers seem more friendly and as someone that enjoys a drink or 2 the concept of bringing in coolers full of beer was pretty sweet.

Have fun next weekend, wish I was there!
Old 2 Jun 2013, 01:03 (Ref:3256576)   #81
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The beat goes on...

F1: Kimi Raikkonen Q&A - Looking Ahead To Montreal

"As for the place itself, I’ve always liked Montréal. It is one of the nicest cities we visit all year.”

Pic: Montreal is one of the best races of the year

"Last year was my first time racing in Canada and I have to say it was one of the best races of the year, maybe not so much for the final result but for the atmosphere on track which was really good. We go to a few races where the track is full of fans from Thursday morning, and Montreal is one of those. I guess having Jacques and Gilles Villeneuve as locals to have supported in the past means F1 is very special to fans in Montreal, but whatever the reasons, they love F1!"

Grosjean: Ile de Notre Dame is my favourite circuit on the Xbox

"The track is interesting; not an easy one to learn, but as we say most of the time if you have a good result then you like the track! I’d certainly like to finish this year’s race on the podium again; that would be a good record to maintain. The city’s great too. People speak French, the place is lively, there are some great restaurants and everybody is really welcoming."

Webber forget that he was on the Montreal podium in 2011

”Canada is a really good race. It’s a popular Grand Prix for fans and drivers; the fans are very passionate and it’s always an interesting Grand Prix because it’s another street circuit. There are some very good restaurants in Montreal, the whole city stops for the race and the atmosphere is a bit more traditional I would say."

F1 - Montréal 2013 - GP Preview - McLaren Mercedes
Jenson Button

“I’ve always enjoyed the Canadian Grand Prix – Montreal is one of the nicest cities on the calendar, we’re always made to feel welcome by the Quebecois, and it’s a race that everyone in Formula 1 looks forward to.

F1 - Montréal 2013 - GP Preview - Red Bull Renault
Sebastian Vettel

"The circuit has a nice rhythm and it’s one of the best races we have all year. The atmosphere and fans are great, the whole city lives F1 for the whole week and that makes us feel very special. I like it."

Old 2 Jun 2013, 02:32 (Ref:3256589)   #82
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The character Glenn Quagmire from TV's Family Guy also loves Montreal. Here he tells Peter Griffin why:

Let's Go Montreal the Way

Old 2 Jun 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3256735)   #83
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
A nice tribute to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and a good overview of its history.

Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve - a modern classic

The Canadian Grand Prix has a rich and interesting history.
Story by: Graham Keilloh
motorsport.com
6/1/2013

...In my view, a central tenet of Montreal's appeal to the F1 fan is that it is different. Very much so.

The track is sited on a man-made island barely 150 yards across in the Saint Lawrence river (and TV pictures really don't give the full sense of the extent that the track is squeezed onto an island), and is surrounded immediately by lush parkland and flower beds, dusted with quirky, other-worldly architecture, with an exciting, vibrant, international city just a short metro ride away and providing the backdrop. The weather is usually wonderful, though there is just enough of a threat of rain to keep things interesting. The walls are close, meaning the passionate and knowledgeable fans - always there in great number - are close too, almost overhanging the track, while the local welcome is warm. Yes dear reader when the F1 circus pitches up in Montreal it certainly could not be mistaken for being anywhere else. And somehow when F1 is there for once everything feels right with the sport.

Perhaps also the passing of time and the parallel shifts of the F1 itinerary, with the sport's move to new (and sometimes tepid) venues mostly at rather identikit and cold Tilke-dromes, has added to Montreal's legend. Its status as a venue like no other, a venue with a quirky and refreshing sense of the distinct, as well as one with a warm, vast and passionate crowd in attendance, has got more acute over the years. It has now reached the point that as far as almost all of the sport's fans are concerned an F1 calendar without Montreal on it would be a greatly diminished one. The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve can truly be said to be a modern classic...

...the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve shares a lot with the man who lent the venue its name: unconventional, brilliant and usually capable of providing something memorable. It is little wonder that the circuit bows to few others on the calendar when it comes to popularity.

Torrential rain during the 2011 race stopped the race for 2 hours and almost caused me to leave. But I stuck it out and got to witness Jenson Button's comeback from last place to first.

Old 2 Jun 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3256762)   #84
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Nice one...

Do you attend any other F1 races ?
Old 2 Jun 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3256866)   #85
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

Do you attend any other F1 races ?
No Jeremy, I've never attended another F1 race. This year will be my twelfth year of attendance at the Montreal GP: 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2013.

In 2010, I attended the 24 Hours of Le Mans and in 2012 I attended the Eiffelrennen at the Nurburgring.

If I ever get a chance to attend another race, the ones I'd most like to see are Monaco, Spa, Monza, Suzuka, Nurburgring and, who knows, maybe even Austin.

Last edited by BobHWS; 2 Jun 2013 at 22:20.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3257396)   #86
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
The F1 Circus has arrived in Montreal.

For fans coming to the race, be sure to visit these streets, parts of which will be closed for F1 fan activities during the weekend.

Crescent St.

Peel St.

Blvd. St. Laurent
Old 4 Jun 2013, 01:20 (Ref:3257401)   #87
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
No Jeremy, I've never attended another F1 race. This year will be my twelfth year of attendance at the Montreal GP: 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2013.

In 2010, I attended the 24 Hours of Le Mans and in 2012 I attended the Eiffelrennen at the Nurburgring.

If I ever get a chance to attend another race, the ones I'd most like to see are Monaco, Spa, Monza, Suzuka, Nurburgring and, who knows, maybe even Austin.

You are welcome in Austin..
Old 6 Jun 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3258556)   #88
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Here's a link to a Google translation of an article in today's La Presse about the Montreal race. (Sorry, no time to tweak it, so the translation is not perfect.)

http://translate.google.ca/translate...esse_B2_course

I've been in Montreal sine Tuesday and the weather has been great. But the forecast for Thursday, Friday and Saturday is cloudy, cool and showers everyday. It is supposed to change on Sunday with partly cloudy skies, still cool, but less chance of rain. The rain won't bother me, since I come prepared for it, though it might affect attendance and qualifying. If they have to practice and qualify in the rain and then race in the dry, that will make things interesting.

Yesterday afternoon/early evening I attended the FOTA fan forum at a club near Old Montreal. It was a good experience. The drivers in attendance were Rosberg (the star of the show), Grosjean, Di Resta, Pic, and Bianchi. They took questions from the moderator (a guy from CNBC) and from fans. There were about 250 fans there, I would guess. I got some good photos and Rosberg's autograph on one of my photos of him from 2 years ago.

As always, montreal is a great place for a race. Please don't ruin that, Bernie.
Old 9 Jun 2013, 14:29 (Ref:3259765)   #89
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm just about to leave for the track Sunday morning. As usual, it's been a great weekend--good action on the track, lots of fun downtown, and despite what you may have seen during qualifying, the weather has never been a bother. The most rain fell during qualifying from 1-2 on Saturday afternoon. Otherwise, it has been cloudy and cool with occasional very, very light rain that never interfered with anything. Today is partly sunny with a small chance of a passing shower. If it happens during the race, that will make things more interesting.

In sum..la vie est belle
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3261667)   #90
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
A local columnist expresses some doubts about the wisdom of subsidizing the GP in return for the supposed economic benefits. Here's a Google translation tweaked by me.

Grand Prix: Le mythe des retombées
le 12 juin 2013

Grand Prix: The Myth of benefits
Alain Dubuc
La Presse

In 2008, when our governments negotiated with the boss of Formula 1, Bernie Ecclestone, to convince him to bring the Grand Prix in Montreal, it was already expressing doubts about how the economic impact of the event is calculated.

Five years later, when we must renegotiate with the same character to renew the agreement, we discover that we always work with the same dubious figures of the time, the details of which are still secret. This uncertainty tells us something.

The idea of ​​subsidizing the Canadian Grand Prix is ​​not an economic decision, but is rather a profession of faith in tourism and a political calculation. As if we were collectively locked into a gear.

Everything is based on an indisputable fact. The Grand Prix is ​​the largest tourist event in Canada, attracting 300,000 people, about 40% foreigners. One can understand that the tourism industry considers this to be a jewel.

But there is a serious constraint. Unlike other elements that attract tourists in Quebec - festivals, scenery, atmosphere, heritage - the Grand Prix is ​​a foreign product that is not ours. You have to pay the owner to get a Grand Prix in Montreal, which opens the door to a kind of fabulous blackmail.

Faced with these pressures, politicians are powerless. It is difficult to say no to the Grand Prix, especially before election time, as was the case in 2008 for the Charest government, as it will be for the current Marois provincial government .

This resulted in an agreement where the government poured $ 15 million per year - Ottawa $5M, Tourism Montreal $5M , Quebec $4M and $1 million from the city of Montreal - less 4 million in revenue sharing. A subsidy that went directly into the pockets of Mr Ecclestone. Absolutely indefensible public spending if we could not justify it by economic arguments.

Then there was a calculation of benefits showing that the Grand Prix generates enough economic activity to allow the resulting taxes to repay the subsidy. The Ministry of Finance has arrived at a figure of 89.3 million, based only on spending by foreigners, because spending by Quebecers just constitute a shift in spending not new spending. But the results can vary greatly depending on the accuracy of the initial data on the number of foreign tourists, their actual expenses, their portion paid to untaxed activity- taxis, prostitution, etc. In this case, all based on vague and complacent figures from Tourism Montreal.

Moreover we should not even really talk about benefits. The amount is nothing more than tourism spending, mainly an increase in the hotel occupancy rates, higher room rates , restaurant expenditures, especially in the city center. As for more sustainable economic effects, the Grand Prix, a traveling circus who leaves after a few days, leaves almost nothing.

Then there's the the clincher, the visibility, the television advertising that supposedly benefits Montreal, but whose dubiousness becomes apparent when we ask the question in reverse. Apart from Monaco, is there a Grand Prix city that we want visit because it was seen on TV? Nürburgring? Francorchamps? Yeongam? Silverstone? Cities hosting F1 events have long since ceased to be an exclusive club.

And now, Mr. Ecclestone wants more money. An annual increase of of 4% and renovations costing 25 to 45 million. Between 210 and 230 million of public funds over 10 years. It's a lot to pay for the dubious distinction of being the preferred global meeting place for a few days of those who use tax havens, have breast implants and consume a lot of champagne.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 18:02 (Ref:3261677)   #91
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't had breast implants, don't drink champagne and pay my taxes.
The first time we visited Montreal it was combined with New York as a holiday.
Having enjoyed the Canada trip, we went back repeatedly, and explored all of the country including spending time in Mont-Tremblant and Quebec City rather than New York.
We don't use prostitutes or taxis whilst there but inevitably spend plenty on hotels, food, drinks, shopping etc, and unlike previously the Canadian Government doesn't refund taxes paid by tourists on their way home anymore.
If it wasn't for the F1 we wouldn't have visited Montreal and probably not any other part of Canada.
Apart from the Paddock Club attendees I'm guessing there are more like me than those described in that rant.
I hope the Grand Prix stays for a long time.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 18:53 (Ref:3261715)   #92
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im not really sure the point of the article myself either.

possibly he is advocating legalizing prostitution so the gov't can tax it?

also taxis in canada are about the only place you will find that the taxes are hidden into the cost. the fact that he doesnt know this really says all you need to know about the research that went into writing this piece.

Visitors to Quebec are paying close to 15% in federal and provincial taxes on their purchases/services and an additional 3-4% on top of that for their hotel bill.

maybe you disagree with the number but 15% on the stated 89 mil equals a bit over 13mil in taxes generated so close to what the sanctioning fee is. there is merit in the argument that its revenue neutral imo.

but putting that aside its still a much more favorable commercial agreement to the other races.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3261718)   #93
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringottsdirect View Post
I haven't had breast implants, don't drink champagne and pay my taxes....Apart from the Paddock Club attendees I'm guessing there are more like me than those described in that rant.
I hope the Grand Prix stays for a long time.
Equally true for me, but sometime perceptions count more than reality. Some people in Montreal perceive the race as a government subsidized indulgence for rich people. Columns like this one contribute to that perception. Though there is wide support for the race, it's not unlimited support. If Bernie gets too greedy, Montreal will give up the race, just like it did in 2009. The politicians who must decide whether to pay Bernie's price and meet his demands for renovations, always have a finger on the pulse of the people.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 02:29 (Ref:3262402)   #94
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Here are some photos from last week in Montreal.

Montreal F1 Babes Gallery

Old 14 Jun 2013, 02:36 (Ref:3262405)   #95
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I will take the lady in the cowboy hat please...
Old 14 Jun 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3262707)   #96
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, I take the lady in red...
Old 14 Jun 2013, 17:06 (Ref:3262717)   #97
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any (or all) of those Pirelli ladies for me!
Old 17 Jun 2013, 12:00 (Ref:3263761)   #98
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
These photos, not as interesting as the F1 Babes, are the from the race and race weekend activities in Montreal.

Montreal F1 race gallery

Old 18 Jun 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3264093)   #99
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice pictures Bob
Old 18 Jun 2013, 02:35 (Ref:3264117)   #100
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Nice work Bob thank you....Love the picture of the Lotus....