Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Apr 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2681421)   #1351
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Yea, I know which cars Mad Croc and Phoenix are running, but I don't know which ones go with with numbers in the series. We should find out here shortly with the race at Silverstone coming up.
Edited from the ever helpful Corvette Motorsport site (and added to my site) comes this:

"In late 2005 Carsport Holland, owned by Toine Hezemans, brought the first Pratt & Miller C6.R chassis #001 to be raced in the FIA GT Championship. After competing in 2006 with Belgian team GLPK, Hezemans partnered up with the services of Phoenix in Germany and formed Phoenix Carsport. 2010 will see the reuniting of Mike and Toine Hezemans with Phoenix Racing. Both C6R Chassis 001 and 005 will be racing under the new 2010 FIA GT1 specification. The drivers for this season will be Marc Hennerici/Andreas Zuber (005 #13) & Mike Hezemans/Andrea Piccini (001 #14)."

And:

"Mad-Croc Racing is a new collaboration for 2010 in the GT1 World Championship with veteran C6R teams DKR Engineering and Selleslagh Racing Team (SRT). Mad Croc is a privately owned holding company focused on everyday portable energy products for consumers, available as energy drinks, chews or gum.

The 2010 GT1 season will see Mad Croc Racing competing with lead drivers Pertti Kuismanen and Corvette Racing's Oliver Gavin in the (006) #12 C6R. For the races Oliver will miss, Finnish driver Mika Salo will partner with Kuismanen. The (002) #11 drivers for Mad-Croc are Alex Müller and Xavier Maassen."

Tyler, Lane and I all agreed some time ago that keeping track of the chassis numbers is an important part of Corvette racing history. Tyler at Corvette Motorsports is doing a great job for the European teams.

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 29 Apr 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2681724)   #1352
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kumpen will replace Piccini in the Carsport Corvette for Silverstone.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2681883)   #1353
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kumpen and Hezemans had a good run last year so it will be nice to see them together again. Where is Kumpens racing this year?
And Piccini had another race?
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:48 (Ref:2682089)   #1354
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kumpen is doing Belcar in an Audi R8. plus a few FIA GT races and some other random events.
Old 1 May 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2682792)   #1355
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was it just me or did the Vettes look like they were loaded down with tons of extra weight at Silverstone today in the GT1 World Championship Qualifying Race? I've never seen Corvettes so slow out of the corners. It looked like they had two cylinders blocked off or something like that. Very frustrating to watch guys like Hezemans and Gavin struggling for speed. I sure hope they look better tomorrow.

DK
Old 1 May 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2682794)   #1356
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The FIA gave themselves time until Brno to get the equalisation right. So far it's: You win some, you lose some and hopefully everyone is still on a somewhat equal footing by the time they eventually succeed with the balancing - the real season begins at Paul Ricard.
Old 1 May 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2682896)   #1357
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
The FIA gave themselves time until Brno to get the equalisation right. So far it's: You win some, you lose some and hopefully everyone is still on a somewhat equal footing by the time they eventually succeed with the balancing - the real season begins at Paul Ricard.
Did they do something to equalize the Fords? It's funny, last week the GT 40 of Mutsch/Grosjean looked like it was in a Class of its own while this week they looked like they were completely out-classed. Last week the Aston's looked like dump trucks while this week they were easily the fastest cars on the course lap after lap. Just look at how easily Turner made up places after two penalties. Anyway, I din't really think I'd like the racing in this series, but it's actually pretty interesting and I like many of the drivers. After all, how bad can a series be with Ollie Gavin, Karl Wendlinger and the Sacred Monster among others?

DK

PS Sorry, I got carried away. this post belongs in a different thread. Mea culpa.
Old 2 May 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2682919)   #1358
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Was it just me or did the Vettes look like they were loaded down with tons of extra weight at Silverstone today in the GT1 World Championship Qualifying Race? I've never seen Corvettes so slow out of the corners. It looked like they had two cylinders blocked off or something like that. Very frustrating to watch guys like Hezemans and Gavin struggling for speed. I sure hope they look better tomorrow.

DK

ASTON MARTIN DB9 weight: 1150 kg. restrictor: 31.2mm

LAMBORGHINI MURCIELAGO weight: 1190 kg. restrictor: 32.8mm

NISSAN GT-R weight: 1230 kg. restrictor: 31.8mm

MASERATI MC12 weight: 1235 kg. restrictor: 31.2mm

CORVETTE Z06 weight: 1240 kg. restrictor: should be 31.2mm, anyone know?

Of course this does not include balance of performance ballast, another 30kg and 20kg on the yellow Phoenix cars.
Old 2 May 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2683179)   #1359
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
ASTON MARTIN DB9 weight: 1150 kg. restrictor: 31.2mm

LAMBORGHINI MURCIELAGO weight: 1190 kg. restrictor: 32.8mm

NISSAN GT-R weight: 1230 kg. restrictor: 31.8mm

MASERATI MC12 weight: 1235 kg. restrictor: 31.2mm

CORVETTE Z06 weight: 1240 kg. restrictor: should be 31.2mm, anyone know?

Of course this does not include balance of performance ballast, another 30kg and 20kg on the yellow Phoenix cars.
Yes, it seems the Astons certainly don't need the weight break as they were clearly flying. The Corvettes just looked sluggish. Even this morning in the warm up, Ollie Gavin last. that just doesn't seem right.

DK
Old 2 May 2010, 15:36 (Ref:2683256)   #1360
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, a different thread.

L.P.
Old 9 May 2010, 05:44 (Ref:2686808)   #1361
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A big celebration for Corvette's 50th anniversary competing at Le Mans, to be held at Laguna as a send off for the team. Cars and drivers from the past to be in attendance.

L.P.
Old 11 May 2010, 19:11 (Ref:2688796)   #1362
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
A big celebration for Corvette's 50th anniversary competing at Le Mans, to be held at Laguna as a send off for the team. Cars and drivers from the past to be in attendance.
L.P.

Also part of the celebration for Corvette's 50th anniversary competing at Le Mans, Lance and Judy Miller, son and wife of the late Chip Miller, are fulfilling one of Chip's dreams by having the 1960 Briggs Cunningham #3 Corvette shipped to Le Mans for the 50th. John Fitch, one of the original drivers, now age 92, will be there to drive the car at the Circuit de la Sarthe.

And in other Corvette news, comes this from Nigel Dobbie, Public Relations Coordinator for Classic Corvette Club UK:

"Hope you are well, just a quick update for you, the Mad-Croc Racing C6R chassis' will both be racing at Le Mans this year as the Luc Alphand Aventures cars were both sold to a private collector in France at the end of last season. So although the entry is for Luc Alphand the cars will be the 002 and 006 chassis. The 005 was due to race at Le Mans with Peka Racing but has been withdrawn after a bad fire at Silverstone last weekend while running as the #14 Phoenix Carsport car. The 001 (the #13 car) is the other Phoenix car.
I spoke to Patrick Selleslagh at the weekend and he confirmed that the C5R-005 chassis has now been sold to an old chap in California!"

The #14 Silverstone fire must have been much worse than I realized. That is a tough blow to miss Le Mans!

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 11 May 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2688853)   #1363
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wonder why Carsport didn't just use the other car they have? They don't want to risk damaging another one? It's unfortunate to miss out on having Hezemans at the big one.
Old 11 May 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2688902)   #1364
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
Wonder why Carsport didn't just use the other car they have? They don't want to risk damaging another one? It's unfortunate to miss out on having Hezemans at the big one.
It's not so much an issue of having a car, it's the issue of having the money to totally rebuild the car that just burned OR run Le Mans, and the GT1 World Championship is their priority.
Old 12 May 2010, 23:55 (Ref:2689490)   #1365
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
I think really only the car that burned up was available to PeKa and not the other Phoenix car. I think Mike only has ownership money in the one that burned up while the other is not his.

DK
Old 15 May 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2690941)   #1366
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Nice article here about Dick Gulstrand and Corvette History in 60s:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...FS=ALMS-LEMANS

Certainly not the future of Corvette, but it relates to the celebration to take place at Montery next weekend.

DK
Old 2 Jun 2010, 00:08 (Ref:2702889)   #1367
racelance
Rookie

racelance should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nice article here about Dick Gulstrand and Corvette History in 60s:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...FS=ALMS-LEMANS

Certainly not the future of Corvette, but it relates to the celebration to take place at Montery next weekend.

DK
Here's another tribute to Corvette and the history behind it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WES77NLxCpY

Enjoy,

Lance
Old 2 Jun 2010, 03:35 (Ref:2702942)   #1368
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hope to see the GT2 run as well as the GT1 model with 50 year return of the number 3. Might get a couple of them sold for the LMS with a good run, and maybe a price discount if some of the reports are accurate.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2703431)   #1369
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Hope to see the GT2 run as well as the GT1 model with 50 year return of the number 3. Might get a couple of them sold for the LMS with a good run, and maybe a price discount if some of the reports are accurate.
I'd be very very happy if next season we had 1 or 2 vettes in GT2, especially if Portimão somehow survives on the calendar!
Old 13 Jun 2010, 01:29 (Ref:2710447)   #1370
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone quantify some best lap time comparisons for me?
Corvette Racing GT 1 vs GT2 ( say at LeMans & somewhere else)
2010 other C6r vs other 2009 C6r(Le Mans & somewhere else)
2007/08/09/10 GT3 Spec Corvette at the above somewhere else circuits!!

I am curious about the relative performance--if C6r achieved faster times earlier than 2009 -- what changed in the rules to allow faster/slower times? Was spec the same all through?
tia
Old 22 Jun 2010, 00:57 (Ref:2716111)   #1371
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Since both Vettes failed with very similar engine failures at Le Mans this year, is there any plans to work on a redesign for the engine. I know they both failed well after 12 hours so it might not be necessary before next years Le Mans, but the problem seems pretty bad.

DK
Old 22 Jun 2010, 02:48 (Ref:2716128)   #1372
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Since both Vettes failed with very similar engine failures at Le Mans this year, is there any plans to work on a redesign for the engine. I know they both failed well after 12 hours so it might not be necessary before next years Le Mans, but the problem seems pretty bad.

DK
It was their first shot at Le Mans with the cars. They didn't win the first time out in GTS/GT1 either. And I think the Pug incident played a major role in the 64's eventual failure. Had they not had to replace the oil tank and many other components, it very well may not have failed. But when you're fixing something as serious as that as quickly as possible, it's easy to make mistakes or overlook small things, which could later on come back to bite you, which they did.

Even though P&M is as professional as they come, it's becoming clear that their foray in GT2 is definitely not going to be as easy as many thought. And that's definitely not a bad thing.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 03:23 (Ref:2716134)   #1373
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
And what where those similar engine failures?

L.P.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 05:51 (Ref:2716158)   #1374
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I was never under the illusion that Corvette would win their class , and I said that often enough before the race .

I always thought that they would put on a great show , which they did . People are forgetting that old saying from Tom Walkinshaw . To win Le Mans you have to do it 3 times .

Ok , so he proven wrong since , but only by works or factory blessed teams , and that wasnt many . And reliability is **** hot compared to the end of the 80's too !!!

Also , they were up against some of the best squads in Europe , Proton/Felbermayr, IMSA , AF Corse .....

Did some of you think that P&M would just pack up all their gear , ship it across the world to the biggest motorsports race in the planet and walk all over everybody .

I can see the C6R GT2 becoming quicker with each race and more reliable , while the Porsche and Ferrari are almost at the end of their tether . Come next year Corvette will be in the strongest position , and the following year Porsche and Ferrari should close the gap up some .

It kinda swings in roundabouts .

Anyway ..... they did a magic job at Le Mans , cant wait to see them again next year .

The only t-shirt I bought for myself at Le Mans , was a Corvette Racing one !!!

P.S. They need to do something about that weird design on the car ..... I aint big on that . They did a race last year with a big Michelin man in that spot and that looked cool .

Last edited by The Badger; 22 Jun 2010 at 05:56.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2716423)   #1375
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I was never under the illusion that Corvette would win their class , and I said that often enough before the race .

I always thought that they would put on a great show , which they did . People are forgetting that old saying from Tom Walkinshaw . To win Le Mans you have to do it 3 times .

Ok , so he proven wrong since , but only by works or factory blessed teams , and that wasnt many . And reliability is **** hot compared to the end of the 80's too !!!

Also , they were up against some of the best squads in Europe , Proton/Felbermayr, IMSA , AF Corse .....

Did some of you think that P&M would just pack up all their gear , ship it across the world to the biggest motorsports race in the planet and walk all over everybody .

I can see the C6R GT2 becoming quicker with each race and more reliable , while the Porsche and Ferrari are almost at the end of their tether . Come next year Corvette will be in the strongest position , and the following year Porsche and Ferrari should close the gap up some .

It kinda swings in roundabouts .

Anyway ..... they did a magic job at Le Mans , cant wait to see them again next year .

The only t-shirt I bought for myself at Le Mans , was a Corvette Racing one !!!

P.S. They need to do something about that weird design on the car ..... I aint big on that . They did a race last year with a big Michelin man in that spot and that looked cool .
I'm with you on the graphics, unfortunately for us though, Doug Fehan is in LOVE with them...