Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 May 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2879376)   #76
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
race tracks.
Russian Tilke?
Nizhny Novgorod track is his work
Old 12 May 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2879436)   #77
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, he is. In fact, better than Tilke. (IMHO). And after NRing become a 5-km long it'll be a right place for GT racing. In 2012 they'll come as Sergey Krylov said at press-conference today.
Old 12 May 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2879443)   #78
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mr Helgi, sir.

Have you any news on Russian Bears Motorsport? And do you know what happened to the Lada Wtcc cars?
Old 12 May 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2879533)   #79
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good evening, tux!

I think the main force behind that project was Victor Shapovalov, a real benzin-blood driver. Here in Russia he raced Lada 2108 for IZH-auto and then produced a racing vercion of IZH-2126 Oda (an old rear wheel drive hatchback). The car in spite of not being pretty looked very good. But it needed more time and money to push it to the leaders. And then the class (Russian Supertouring) dead. Now that car equipped with new turbo-engine is used in drag racing.

As for Mr.Shapovalov I think it was he who ruled Russian Bears and then collect people to organize Lada WTCC. I don't know where are those 110 sedans, but Prioras should be here in Russia, as Victor said he was able to enter some cars for RTCC in 2010. Sadly, but now he and his people from Lada ex-WTCC team work at Torgmash Motor Sport (TMS) and prepare cars for a new Lada Granta Cup. (I mean he has no time for Priora)

Here's his interview http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns
Old 13 May 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2879765)   #80
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do hope we see Victor Shapovalov and the Lada's return to the WTCC. To this day I still believe that with a bit more work, they could of had a race winner in 2010. Not just that, when compared to other tourng cars (the Seat Leon TDI for example), the Priora felt like a proper touring car. Who cares about the stigma the Lada brand carries, because they had a unqiue car full of potential.

Hopefully with the WTCC picking up again we might see the cars return, independent or not. Maybe all this talk about a Russian round might tempt them.
Old 13 May 2011, 10:53 (Ref:2879798)   #81
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
I do hope we see Victor Shapovalov and the Lada's return to the WTCC. To this day I still believe that with a bit more work, they could of had a race winner in 2010. Not just that, when compared to other tourng cars (the Seat Leon TDI for example), the Priora felt like a proper touring car. Who cares about the stigma the Lada brand carries, because they had a unqiue car full of potential.

Hopefully with the WTCC picking up again we might see the cars return, independent or not. Maybe all this talk about a Russian round might tempt them.
Personal I think taking part in WTCC will do more for the brand than sponsoring Renault-Lotus F1 team. And it's much cheaper.
Old 13 May 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2879880)   #82
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thank you Helgi, it is a shame they did not develop the Priora for another year, it was a nice addition to the grid and looked to have potential based on the Imola results.
Old 13 May 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2879912)   #83
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Personal I think taking part in WTCC will do more for the brand than sponsoring Renault-Lotus F1 team. And it's much cheaper.
It depends if Group Lotus buys out the team.
Old 13 May 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2879914)   #84
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
True. And now, with the 1.6l turbo rules, they could use Lada engines too...

How ever, WTCC being cheaper may be irrelevant as, afaik, F1 sponsorship doesn't actually come from AvtoVAZ but is government money (via Rostehnologii).
Old 13 May 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2879922)   #85
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Well, if AvtoVAZ has only some drivers in RTCC S1600 class (that were entered only some days ago) then there's nothing to talk about, unfortunately. As I say, ex-WTCC team is busy with Lada Granta Cup, where some fast drivers are going to start (Timur Sadredinov for example). I think there's no interest in European autosport at AvtoVAZ.
Old 13 May 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2879940)   #86
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
And some interesting thing about 11km-long Kholmy (Swell-Ring).

It is to be homologated as clockwise and anticlockwise. All the project is done (non guardrails but cement blocks, trackside, run off areas) for that. And I don't know another race track that has something of that sort. Only in computer games.
Old 16 May 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2881149)   #87
Yannis
Rookie

Greece
Athens,Greece
Yannis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it seems that Victor Shapovalov and Russian Bears Motorsport are back at european tracks via European Product Series!!! Kirill Ladygin won yesterday and was 2nd on Saturday driving a SEAT Leon SC.

Helgi, do you believe is there any case to see Russian Bears competing in these (much cheaper) series using the new LADA Granta?
Old 16 May 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2881181)   #88
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Hallo, Yannis! Yes, I was too pesimistic about Mr.Shapovalov. There're three drivers from RTCC Touring Light (S1600) competed at Monza. Champion Mikhail Kozlovsky (young and very fast, should be good in tin-tops) makes a first step in Europe. I think Lukoil is trying to find a next generation driver for their program. In fact, not only Lukoil. For example Alexei Vasiliev (GT racer) brought a former motobike racer Alex Skryabin into Ferrari Challenge and he's now one of the fastest there.

But, back on topic. Yes, Russian Bears return. And very surprisingly, as there were no mention of it before the race. I got known about their participation only after race was finished.

And Ladygin is deffinately Lada works driver. Vyacheslav Maleev raced for Lada in S1600 too, but made much better progress in winter track (oh, you should see it once, absolutely amazing stuff, Russian NASCAR at snow ovals). Maleev won 2011 winter track cup and beat such favourites as Vasiliev and Dudukalo. So, both Ladygin and Maleev (he's rather old) are close to works "team".

Torgmash MotorSport (TMS) have to do some developement work with that Lada Granta. It's equipped with a 1,6l turbo engine (about 200 hp) - http://www.ladagranta.net/tags/lada+granta+cup/ so it would be almost impossible to beat Seats. But, we'll see.
Old 16 May 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2881184)   #89
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
And here you are - http://swellring.com/ - that 11km long race track. Asphalt should be laid in August. I very hope.
Old 17 May 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2881462)   #90
Yannis
Rookie

Greece
Athens,Greece
Quote:
Torgmash MotorSport (TMS) have to do some developement work with that Lada Granta. It's equipped with a 1,6l turbo engine (about 200 hp) - http://www.ladagranta.net/tags/lada+granta+cup/ so it would be almost impossible to beat Seats. But, we'll see.
Yes, it would be impossible to beat SEATS but i think that there are more classes, with different cars like SEAT Ibiza SC (1.4 lt). Of course the first round was a bit "poor" but i hope that it will be different in the future.
Old 23 May 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2884639)   #91
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation

It's a shame. 1st round of 2011 season was held last week-end and the best review of it I've read at a French (!) site - http://ladainfo.skyrock.com/30029119...ADA-Sport.html

I really appologize and will try to find some info.
Old 23 May 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2884684)   #92
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Thank you Helgi, the grid looks to be fairly good for a series with such a lack of information. RTCC Should employ you as a PR guy!

The Lada Granta Cup car looks very nice!
Old 24 May 2011, 08:27 (Ref:2885001)   #93
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Thank you Helgi, the grid looks to be fairly good for a series with such a lack of information. RTCC Should employ you as a PR guy!

The Lada Granta Cup car looks very nice!
Same, that is one classy Lada. It's a shame they lost interest in the WTCC, it would fit in quite nicely.
Old 24 May 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2885473)   #94
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As for Mr.Shapovalov I think it was he who ruled Russian Bears and then collect people to organize Lada WTCC. I don't know where are those 110 sedans, but Prioras should be here in Russia, as Victor said he was able to enter some cars for RTCC in 2010. Sadly, but now he and his people from Lada ex-WTCC team work at Torgmash Motor Sport (TMS) and prepare cars for a new Lada Granta Cup. (I mean he has no time for Priora)

Here's his interview http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns
Hopefully, the Lada WTCC series makes a comeback next year or in 2013. Was a pity that the Lada pulled out of the 2009, although James Thomson had driven good investment.
Old 25 May 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2885849)   #95
Yannis
Rookie

Greece
Athens,Greece
Victor Shapovalov is back

Watch the LADA Granta SPORT!!!

Also some pics!!!
Old 25 May 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2885854)   #96
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Nice looking car!
Old 25 May 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2885878)   #97
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
They say there're some bits of WTCC Priora in that Granta Cup. In suspension I think, as an usual car has 13" or 14" wheels. Besides, there's only one car ready at this moment and tests are going on.

I have some thoughts about why Lada Sport doesn't have a works team in RTCC, but it's only rumours. Lada put two of their pilots into 1600-class at the very last moment and in Smolensk they couldn't beat privateers who drove the same cars. Not saying about Lukoil Fiestas R2.

PS The absolute show-stopper is Vlad Kubasov's "Bee" - black and yellow VAZ-2107 which is a distant relation of FIAT 124. The only one RWD car in the whole class. I think the most popular racing car among spectators.

- http://www.openracing.ru/news/4467
Old 28 May 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2887073)   #98
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Photos and text from Alexandr Krechetov and Ivan Soldatov who were in Smolensk.

http://translate.google.com/translat...6prmd%3Divnsfd
Old 30 May 2011, 19:46 (Ref:2888377)   #99
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Onboard with Andrei Smetsky (Seat Leon) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Js1dECo#at=120
Old 30 May 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2888380)   #100
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
I think RTCC officials would like to know your rating of this onboards. Is it far away from STCC, for example?