Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
STOP PRESS: Nichols splits with Jaguar

From AUTOSPORT.COM

STOP PRESS: Tech boss Nichols splits with Jaguar

Steve Nichols has parted company with F1 team after just 14 months

Steve Nichols has resigned from Jaguar

Jaguar technical director Steve Nichols has resigned from the team with immediate effect. The move follows the disappointing form of the new R3 challenger, which was discovered to have a fundamental design flaw with its front wing in its first tests last month.

Nichols will be replaced by managing director Gunther Steiner who joined the team late last year from the Ford rally programme.

Just the latest in a line of Jaguar cock ups to me. They got rid of Rahal who hadn't been in the job long, The R3 has been slower than the R2 because of the front wing problem & they have had two disappointing seasons since entering F1. Not a good start to the year and frankly I don't think it will get any better for them.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 15:43 (Ref:210160)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What can you say? The team is a shambles and will soon have wasted money BAR style.....

This will be another nail in the Jag F1 program - why does NL keep supplying Ford with all the ammo they need to pull the plug on this?
Old 4 Feb 2002, 15:46 (Ref:210162)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That brings to an end the longest spell at Jaguar Racing without a major staff change (about a fortnight?).

Why do they bother? Do they ever learn?

The Jaguar name has just scored a GTS class win (and 5th overall) at the Daytona 24hours. Well done Rocketsports Racing for bringing some glory to the Jaguar name.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 15:59 (Ref:210172)   #4
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is really surprising news
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 4 Feb 2002, 16:02 (Ref:210178)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surprise ?

Not really Nicolas... since the Rahal issue, nothing surprises about Jaguar anymore !
Old 4 Feb 2002, 16:11 (Ref:210185)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lauda appears to be doing a 'Prost', the only difference being, he is using somebody else's cash as opposed to his own.

This certaintly smacks of the hire and fire management style of Lauda. One has to wonder why Ford put Lauda, who has no team management experience, in charge at Jag.

I think that team owners should look at football as an example of how to use ex-sportsman skills. Ex-footballers, merely select and coach the teams, they don't run the club. They are generally successful because they know the skills required to play the game and how to identify and develop it in others.

Prost & Lauda would probably make good driver coaches and be able to put over their experience as drivers and know what abilities to look for in others. Unfortunately they have also proved that they aren't in fact any good at anything else, except driving. Lauda's airline went broke and Prost has single handedly spent millions of dollars to no effect. I think it will be along time before we see another ex-driver in a team managemnt role.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 16:20 (Ref:210189)   #7
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lauda and Irvine should go if Jaguar is there to stay.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 16:22 (Ref:210190)   #8
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Not really Nicholas... since the Rahal issue, nothing surprises about Jaguar anymore !
I meant that it was quite likely that someone would have to leave after that problem with the front wing.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 16:47 (Ref:210205)   #9
Rimrider
Racer

Rimrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: STOP PRESS: Nichols splits with Jaguar

Quote:

Nichols will be replaced by managing director Gunther Steiner who joined the team late last year from the Ford rally programme.
The saga continues. This appointment is more staggering than Rahal and Lauda's. Who is responsible for wasting all this money. Lauda or Whittaker? It's one of them who should be collecting their P45. Since Whittaker's elevation to head of Ford Racing they have done nothing but waste massive amounts of money in F1 and rallying and won nothing. Still, should be quick through then gravel traps.

Spotted Jag? More like white elephant.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 16:49 (Ref:210207)   #10
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lauda and Irvine should go if Jaguar is there to stay.
That's what Rahal wanted and he was fired for it!!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 17:20 (Ref:210229)   #11
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The politics and acrimony surrounding the firing of Rahal was the match that lit the fuse at Jag. During his short tenure, Bobby had gained the respect of everyone there. Then Niki was parachuted in over the top by that European Ford fellow, his name escapes me at the moment,sorry, and he immediately starts scheming with Eddie, who didn't like Bobby either, to get rid of him. They were able to use the fact that Bobby split his time up between the U.S. and Britain to connect it with on track performance. Since Bobby's changes had not had time to bear fruit, only a year, I guess it worked.

But now the chickens are coming home to roost, as it were.
It is always a bad thing to put in a position of authority someone who has not earned that position, and has demonstrated questionable administrative skills at his previous occupation, namely running an airline.

If you hate your boss, chances are good that you don't go that extra mile or stay that extra hour if you don't have to.

The atmosphere at Jag won't change until Niki is gone at least, I think, and this is really too bad. I wonder what the highest levels of Ford management in America think of Mr. Lauda at the moment.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 20:57 (Ref:210352)   #12
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see this is a very pro Rahal´s forum, personally I d rather have Niki than 7 Rahals together and I believe Nichols out is the most reasonable business decission. He screw its responsability, so bye bye bambino. This is nothing else than most basic Business Paradigm.

Ciao my friends

Let´s hope they can sort something out before the end of this season.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 22:46 (Ref:210405)   #13
Kid Prozac
Racer

Kid Prozac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ford seem to put in the top names to get the press. they need someone like Paul Stoddart. How many casual observers had heard of him before Oz last year. He is in the same mould as Dennis/Williams/Head/Todt/Jordan/Sauber etc, he knew about the managerial side before hand, and he quietly did the job in hand and has got minardi into a strong positionheading into this year. how many people could have done that? i hope jaguar do not perform very well this year, nothing against the team, just i hate it when people just throw money at things, just look at Blackburn in the preiership a few years ago. it would be a shame as i really rate De La Rosa as a driver
Old 4 Feb 2002, 23:43 (Ref:210437)   #14
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reassuring to see that some things never change, with Jaguar lurching from one crisis to another.

Seriously, one year they'll manage to produce a decent car and retain key staff members for longer than a few months. Or am I just dreaming?
Old 5 Feb 2002, 03:59 (Ref:210525)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Morale must be hitting rock bottom - does Jaguar still have a "TEAM"? F1 must be a team effort, and the management style at Jaguar so far has been abysmal to the extent that there is no team spirit. Under the current situation, I can forsee many strange breakdowns, foul ups, and driver mistakes that will put Jaguar down the ladder towards the bottom.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 12:39 (Ref:210571)   #16
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its completely depressing. Nichols knows his craft. Lauda, despite his claims of being the best man for the job, has exhibited tyranical and ruthless behavior.

Bouncey, to answer your question, "THere is no Team left. Ford will through in the towel and a team that had so much potential as the nascent Stewart Equipe, will go the way of Prost.