Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:10 (Ref:380750)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Newman-Haas to IRL?

What the heck is going on here?

Autosport, grandprix.com, etc. are saying that da Matta is locked into an F1 drive, and the payoff is free motors to N-H for IRL running. Whuh?

What's Mario saying?

Not only that, but what is Carl Haas saying about IRL accepting Lolas as payment?

There are just too many strikes against this idea for it to be true, on the face of it.

Last edited by paul-collins; 15 Sep 2002 at 16:15.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:32 (Ref:380780)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the writer of this article even knows the difference between CART and the IRL. Newmann and Haas have no attraction to Indy, they've always been from the road racing set. Their sponsorship is secure, they're at the top of the game in CART.

If there's _any_ truth to this article, it might be that Newmann-Haas will recieve Toyota engines to run the Indy 500, but NOT the IRL schedule.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:38 (Ref:380787)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah, that's an idea.

I guess someone has to go over and win the race and show which series has better teams (for the 4th year running)!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Sep 2002, 19:24 (Ref:380893)   #4
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't get too excited about Newman Haas switching to the IRL apparently Toyota's PR department is working 24/7 coming up with rumors like this. I say good ridance Toyota!
Old 15 Sep 2002, 21:26 (Ref:380988)   #5
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by crazytrain
I wouldn't get too excited about Newman Haas switching to the IRL apparently Toyota's PR department is working 24/7 coming up with rumors like this. I say good ridance Toyota!
According to an interview with Chris Pook transmitted on Sky this evening (but taped at Rockingham last Friday), Carl Haas was in a rage over the stories which have no foundation.

Last edited by Peter Scillitoe; 15 Sep 2002 at 21:27.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 22:17 (Ref:381041)   #6
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haas (not sure about the Newman half) are setting up a team to run the Indy500 with a two car effort, and if possible the entire IRL season. I know this because ive seen their requests for sponsorship for these efforts.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 00:17 (Ref:381117)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Newman-Haas are completely committed to CART. They won't be leaving. However, they may run in the Indy 500 and may just have a one-car team compete in the full IRL season.

There are going to be millions of rumours in the next few months about who's going where, most without any foundation whatsoever.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 02:15 (Ref:381176)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

Yeah, it should be pointed out its a SEPERATE effort from CART. Likewise they're new Busch team with Travis Carter wont affect the CART team
Old 17 Sep 2002, 06:49 (Ref:382137)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way i read it is that it is more a Haas team that will be in CART, rather than a Newman-Haas team.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 07:56 (Ref:382179)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Do you mean a Haas team in the IRL, and N/Haas in CART? Because that's more along the story line that I've heard.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 08:39 (Ref:382215)   #11
SteveA
Rookie

SteveA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, I heard that Ferrari are going to switch to IRL. Schumi's gonna drive a crapwagon.

(Starting wild rumors, moi?)
Old 17 Sep 2002, 10:29 (Ref:382310)   #12
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last week's Autosport claimed it would be a 2-car team from Haas, with Paul Newman not involved.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:55 (Ref:382456)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
The way i read it is that it is more a Haas team that will be in CART, rather than a Newman-Haas team.

oops, sorry i meant a Haas team in IRL
Old 17 Sep 2002, 15:02 (Ref:382545)   #14
Barbarosa
Rookie

Barbarosa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some friends from NHR made it really clear this morning that neither Newman or Haas is running an IRL team. Word is the bosses are really angry about the rumor and are trying to figure out which "self-deluded crackhead" started it, though one of my friends says if it came from Autosport, then he's not surprised since they seem to be just making it up as they go along this season. Course, there is also the Toyota side, since Toyota really wants to take a couple of championship quality teams into IRL and have also not been above lying in addition to cheating, blackmailing, bribing, extorting, and stealing to try to make a name for themselves in racing.

But, most figure this fairy tale came from the bad fairy himself, who is still mad that while he can strong arm sponsors and even the occasionally poor of moral character such as Chip into betraying CART and going to IRL, the big respected names like Mario Andretti, Bobby Rahal, Paul Newman and Carl Haas want nothing to do with him or his "league". So, doesn't surprise me that the one person who really, really, really wants to see CART go down for good, before he spends every penny he has keeping IRL a float until they do go down, is one of the people being suggested as the crackhead who started the rumor.

B
Old 17 Sep 2002, 15:54 (Ref:382574)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a very nice reply from Target Guest Relations to an inquiry I made, saying that no decision as to what Target are doing has been made yet. So Chip may have nothing to say yet, although I am surprised he hasn't made a denial of the story Autosport (and TSN) keep on the top of their lists saying he has already departed.

Glad to hear that NH are still in the Right Camp.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 16:52 (Ref:382614)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

I dont know who your 'friends' are but Haas is definately looking at IRL. They will do the Indy500 and the marketing department has been asked to find sponsors for the IRL season for a 2 car effort. The NASCAR team (Haas-Carter) is also starting a Busch series effort.

They are not leaving CART though.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 08:32 (Ref:384651)   #17
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard from my girlfriend's brother's friend's father's aunt's former neighbour has a relation who lives near a Carl Haas that Carl is as likely to run at Indy or any IRL event (I think that's the right word for it) as Senna is going to be driving for him.

Having said that, Carl was last scene leaving Chicago Hardware and Supplies with a newly purchased shovel.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 13:24 (Ref:384820)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
There is no doubt that Newman-Haas will be in CART next year, but a Haas team in IRL looks like it may happen, Haas was also at Chicagoland Speedway for the second last IRL race the other week.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 16:28 (Ref:384902)   #19
Barbarosa
Rookie

Barbarosa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if he wants to run in the Indy 500, the little dictator is going to demand it.

Barbarosa
Old 20 Sep 2002, 17:05 (Ref:384917)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I know this thread is about Newman/Haas, but...
Has Chip Ganassi actually stated his league intentions for next year? I know everybody is assuming a switch, and Robin Miller has even gone so far as to write about Chip and Dixon running IRL. But has anything been written in stone yet?
Old 20 Sep 2002, 18:28 (Ref:384983)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing has been announced, and Target has in fact said that no decision has been reached. I have the distinct impression that it's what Target decides which will rule the day.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 12:12 (Ref:385316)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
I'd say it will be Target that decides whether he is in CART next year or not. Either way, he will be in IRL with Toyota.