Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Jul 2000, 02:40 (Ref:25157)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does he have one? Do you know what it is? Will you tell me if you do know?
Old 24 Jul 2000, 04:37 (Ref:25163)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let me guess the title of the email...."Why do you favour Mikey and not Paul??"
Old 24 Jul 2000, 11:14 (Ref:25187)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope - where can I get a copy of the rule book YOU use?
Old 24 Jul 2000, 12:15 (Ref:25210)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
rules, who needs rules??

I'd guss i'd better watch the race first, but was i right with the title??
Old 24 Jul 2000, 17:37 (Ref:25263)   #5
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well, maybe she's gonna complain about Fittipaldi's chop block on Brack?
Old 24 Jul 2000, 20:43 (Ref:25317)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

liz, if you do that, you'll have me to contend with.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 01:29 (Ref:25397)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Your Christian must be really glad he doesn't speak Swedish. I bet Kenny had a few words to say about his ancestry and probable eventual destination (and what he could do on the way there.)

Not to mention a word or two from Gil in Portuguese which he will have heard at least twice this season already.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 11:48 (Ref:25499)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

max speaks swedish, doesn't he?

i'm sure gil and christian have dealth their fair share of choice words to each other in their time.

did you notice how the curse of my christian managed to harm gil without even going anywhere near him?
Old 25 Jul 2000, 20:06 (Ref:25594)   #9
Dave S
Racer

One of the funniest comments I've ever heard from an announcer was during an F1 race. I forget the announcer & driver, but the car went off course & out. As the steering wheel entered low earth orbit the driver exited the car screaming at the top of his lungs in I don't know what language. The announcer translated the tirade as "My, what a pity". Maybe Brack was requesting some change for the pay phone.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 22:47 (Ref:25631)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Or he forgot to take out his ear plugs and was just asking very loudly, "Did somebody hit my car?"

P.S. It's definitely a broken finger - thank God it wasn't his head.
Old 26 Jul 2000, 11:49 (Ref:25779)   #11
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
craigmanning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...I don't know how anyone could be a fan of Christian Fittipaldi after that embarrassing display. I wish I could be a fly in the wall at the driver's meeting in Chicago. He made himself look like a fool...
If you get a chance, read Franchitti's comments on Christian at autosport.com. Also, that site has a transcript of the post race interview. Juan has some things to say about it as well as does Michael, but he didn't/couldn't mention any names...
Old 26 Jul 2000, 15:21 (Ref:25868)   #12
Dave S
Racer

Do you think that maybe Christian is feeling some pressure from Newman/Hass to produce? Maybe he's over-extending due to the time honored veiled threats of 'we're almost there, but we need to make a few changes'? (Read, thanks for playing.Pick up your lovely parting gifts at the Paddock exit)
Old 26 Jul 2000, 16:19 (Ref:25889)   #13
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
...Dave! Oh, absolutely for sure. Although Christian has proven himself to be quite a quick driver I don't think he's ever shown himself to be 'race smart' to any extent. He certainly has been outclassed by Michael. I think also there's a new generation of driver coming along who are a more complete package with names like Junquiera, Pizzonia, Hynes, Da Matta, Scheckter, Servia, Heidfeld and Manning who might make dinosaurs out of guys like Blundell, Gugelmin, Herbert, Vasser, Fittipaldi and even Carpentier! I'd be looking over my shoulder if I was one of those drivers.
When you think about how the bar has been raised regarding the level of driving over the past few years, and for me theres a definite progression from Zanardi thru Franchitti, Rodriguez to Montoya, it's theatre for us to watch guys like Little Al and perhaps Scott Goodyear fade away while guys like Tracy and deFerran seem to re-invent themselves to stay relevant with the Montoya's and whoever is next!
Actually this is why I miss Gonzalo. He would have been right in there...
Old 26 Jul 2000, 16:26 (Ref:25892)   #14
Dave S
Racer

The way of the world, no doubt. Others had to make way for Mikey, Al jr, Vasser, et.al, & time is not kind. I see a major shakeup at Pacwest looming. Christian ain't done yet, but it might be close to time for a change for him as well. A change of scenery may be what he needs to really get it done, who knows? LET THE SILLY SEASON BEGIN!!!
Old 26 Jul 2000, 17:38 (Ref:25908)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
let the sermon begin...

hurrah! i've been waiting for an opportunity like this for ages!

right. seeng as how you're talking about my driver, i think it's about time i put my two pennies worth in. (or three, depending on how much rubbish i can type in a small amount of time)

i think christian is very good at races. portland was a reasonable demonstration (ok, so flatspotting your tyre on the first lap ain't smart, but...). to chuck him out of a team for this would be silly. he makes up for it with being consistently fast.

i believe carl haas has a little too much faith in him, and any pressue is self-made. they gave him a hard time just before signing a long contract (i think), and since then, especially after the last race, i think he's shown that he is capable of winning. just not in a car that isn't always what's needed.

i'd like to see him with paul tracy. i think a lot could be learnt. think about it. paul tracy used to be a little nuts, did he not? all it took was the calming influence of an aussie, and bingo.

the lad's obviously quick. he's up there in qualifying. he just thinks 'must get through that gap now' too much...

oh, craig? when you've been a fan for 6 years, you don't just stop following someone cause they say a few stupid things. i admire his determination for saying '$%£$, i'm off to america', and getting through that leg injury thing really quickly. and winning in such good style. and still going racing after not winning a race for 8 years (that's gotta hurt).

liz, did you read gil's quote in champcar, in they said it? he said something about missing out on the chance to say something smart, as usual. well, i thought it was funny.

end of sermon. until i figure something else intellegent to say.
Old 26 Jul 2000, 18:52 (Ref:25926)   #16
Dave S
Racer

Bella, Christian is a very good driver, no doubt. But I remember back in the 80's the teams were playing musical seats! Sometimes owners just stop supporting a good driver that has a few bad breaks, mistakes,& replaces him in hopes of changing the team's luck. Though I think N/H would be foolish to do so, stranger things have happened. I'm sure Christian would find another decent ride no problem. Kool/Green would be a good move, IF Franchitti bolts, which ain't a sure thing. The team in most obvious need has got to remain PacWest. They were poised on the brink & then what the heck happened? It actually might be good for him to go to a team & not be second bananna. Give him the #1 spot & support & let him get back on track. I feel he has enormous potential. Could turn out good for both sides. Maybe N/H could get a seasoned #2 to teach Mikey how to stop on a dime. (one that's not in a crewman's pocket, however) See Liz? Poke all the fun you want, OK? He deserves a fair share of ribbing!!
Old 26 Jul 2000, 22:52 (Ref:25986)   #17
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
...well, hello bella?! It's been a little while I know but don't think I didn't think of you when I set about criticizing your Christian. I wondered what 'hellfire' might come back at me but you were dead nice! Thank-you.
I was surprised at your Carl Haas remark though. Please tell me why you feel that the boss has too much faith in him?

I must again take issue with you on this point, yes Christian is consistently fast but it doesn't help him in his efforts to win races because he's not a complete package in my opinion.

You raise a good point that I hadn't thought of though. I wonder if he could be moulded like Barry has done with Paul. It's a good point. I never really have thought much of Newman-Haas as an organization, they seem impersonal somehow, but Team Kool Green is another matter. They are more like Jordan wheras Newman-Haas might be more like Williams driver wise. I can't document it but it's just a gut feel. I've been fortunate in spending a little time with Barry and Kim Green and if I were wanting to be on a Champcar team they would be my first pick. First class people in every way. I wonder if Christian could pick up something the way that Paul has?

bella, I admire you sticking with your man through thick and thin, you're a true fan and although Christian is the most boring interview outside of hockey players (...right Liz?) I was only criticizing his driving last Sunday. As a matter of fact has anyone read a single word that Christian had to say since Michigan?. His silence tells me alot.

Dave, you raise an interesting point too. If Christian was released from Newman-Haas wouldn't it be interesting to see how the other CART owners might react. I wonder if the top teams would pounce on him. I don't think I would. I'd be shocked if TKG were interested at all. Della Penna maybe...
Old 27 Jul 2000, 02:13 (Ref:26015)   #18
Liz
Veteran

I think TCG were disappointed that Da Matta signed another contract with PPI - they were itching to get his name on the line.

I think the difference between My Gil and Christian is that Gil is analytical - he probably does that "inner racing" where you drive the track in your head about a million laps and play all the different scenes that could happen (and then you spin on the parade lap or smack the wall during the safety car period ... yeah yeah.) Christian just stands on it and says "Coming Through!" and maybe he does and maybe not.

Bella, i did see that quote from Gil - he says he always tries to think out what to say if he wins, but then when he has to talk he forgets every word of it!
Old 27 Jul 2000, 02:41 (Ref:26021)   #19
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
...Liz! I couldn't agree with you more. Gil is one smart race car driver. I agree too that Chip probably would love to have had Cristiano. He's definitely a rising star isn't he? I think PPI had the option on his contract. If I had to guess I think the next Ganassi driver could be Bruno Junquiera. He's fast, has racecraft and is really good technically. Is there anyone who thinks that Montoya is staying?...
Old 27 Jul 2000, 17:34 (Ref:26164)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
craig, i don't go around flaming people. unless they're really nasty. then they get all they deserve for slagging a stranger.

if carl haas hadn't got a lot of faith in him, he'd be out of the team, and there'd be a lot of rumours being slung around about new drivers. he's not the type to do it quietly, is he? if tehy were going to lob christian, we'd have heard by now. however, i could be deeply wrong, as i frequently am.

christian has said quite a bit about michigan - the newman-haas website has some quotes. very little about the controversial bits, but he does raise an interesting point about the race. what sort of a motor race is it where you're best not leading? (he was yelled at by the team not to lead under any circumstances).

i think what he needs is a bit of advice, and let's face it, he ain't gonna get that at n/h. i don't see him as the type to go up to mario and ask what he would do...it seems to have to be the other way round (be it ego related, or just too proud).

i wouldn't contest your point about not being a complete driver. very few are. but the bad luck he's had has mostly been not his fault. a lot of mistakes have been made in the pits, and ok, driving into someone isn't the best way to get ahead in motorsport. before this, he hadn't made a racing mistake for ages.

i also think a lot of team managers would be interested if he were released (albeit in a quiet way - at the moment he's not mr fashionable to have on your contacts lists really). his speed is such that a bad team would benefit from the extra publicity in qualifying, and let's face it, he's not exactly ugly. n/h obviously gets a lot more exposure on their second car because of what he looks like, as opposed to someone like, (nothing personal) bob moreno, who's more the housewives choice.

(and i actually think his interviews are much better than someone like andretti. you don't get nothing but american bull from him, whereas i've read some really relevant comments from christian. on paper, he seems quite intregueing..)

liz - what you say about gil is true. he does a lot of thinking (good or bad?).

cristiano da matta is a very fast driver. ppi are being very astute in hanging on to him for another year. maybe he needs another year training (if you will) before being dropped in the deep end. but maybe he's ready (handled being leader very nicely thank you, though).

next ganassi driver? if chip's got any sense at all (i sometimes doubt..), he'll go for nicolas minassian. he's a very cart type driver (ie a bit crazy, but very fast.). or what about brian smith? a lot of you probably haven't heard of him, but he was better than montoya at f3 both for car control and racing.
Old 27 Jul 2000, 23:31 (Ref:26265)   #21
Liz
Veteran

A most eloquent defence, Bella and I hope he appreciates it!

Except that I think people who like pure racing and cheering for the underdog like Moreno as much as the housewives do.

I wonder if Vasser is going to stay with Ganassi to be shown up by yet another Child Wonder. It must be getting pretty old by now.
Old 29 Jul 2000, 20:26 (Ref:26691)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
it's nice to have another discussion that doesn't mainly contain 'he's cr@p, let's get rid of him' sort of arguements. and seeing as i am resident saddo, i think it's my duty to defend the (slightly ageing) talent that is my christian. go get 'em, my boy. i'll get there to wave my flag eventually.

i think jeeemy's getting a easy deal out of it. he just drives, there's absolutely no pressure at all from anyone team related or the public, and he gets to do what he loves without a bunch of fans who think they know it all jumping on his back soon as he makes a mistake. *seethe, seethe..*

i cheer for the lost causes and three legged donkeys a lot round here. mind you, pedro de la rosa's finally hitting form, and ricardo zonta's no slouch. however, i think luis garcia may be a true lost cause. sorry, laddy, there was nowt i could do for you...