Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Dec 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1474582)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JV confirmed in 2nd BMW seat

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=104372

The team today finally announced Villeneuve will officially line up alongside Nick Heidfeld for the BMW Sauber team in 2006.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen explained: "We took a close look at Jacques' performance level at the end of last season. After an extremely tough first half of the year - which showed that even a former World Champion cannot come back after a period away and be competitive from day one - he got closer and closer to his team-mate over the second half of the season. We are in no doubt that Jacques will make the BMW Sauber F1 Team stronger."
Old 1 Dec 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1474589)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Finally!
Old 1 Dec 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1474601)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure it's the right decision, as I've stated several times before, but it remains to be seen how he can do against Nick (who I'd rate higher than Massa).
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1474607)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Finally!
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1474611)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Or more realistically:

Quote:
BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen explained: "We took a close look at Jacques' contract and discovered it was watertight"
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1474618)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good for him, after all. A little embarassing for a former world champion, as there weren't good options around. See - I'm not criticizing JV - I'm just pointing out the way BMW put things. I don't think JV is happy with the way things had developed, but at least he has a seat for next year. Having to be compared with every unproven talent, and the odds of a midfield (maybe) team. I'm glad he's a fighter, but for sure he can only drive for his own pleasure, rather than prove the world he can beat every competition in the grid. So, be prepared to have a struggling year, and maybe this time, his last one.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1474620)   #7
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alright! Looks as though JV is quite a fine business man as well! I want to look into F1 tickets for his Dad's track in June/06 already! I think the date is close to JBaptiste Day as well - so it would be a race to see for sure!
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1474621)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hopefully JV can go on to prove he is worth this seat.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1474627)   #9
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree knowlesy. JV obviously struggled a bit when he first came back, but his performances definitely improved in the second half of last year. The question, of course, is just how quick can he get? Being partnered with NH will provide an interesting comparison.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1474630)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Congratulations to Jacques for seeing out his contract at BMW/Sauber.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1474635)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good news for Jacques at last. And the right news if indeed his contract is watertight. The amount of people who gave Button flak on here for getting out of his contract when we see teams trying to do the same thing as regards their drivers (and seemingly getting less criticised for it!) is surprising.

I still think Massa might be better than a lot of people are suggesting. In other words, Villeneuve getting beaten by Massa isn't as bad a performance as some make out, in my opinion.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1474636)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An employer holds the key to contract resolutions though. Naturally.

This results in less criticism.

If someone was complete rubbish at their job and they couldn't be fired because of a contract, it'd be a sad world.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1474647)   #13
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Thiessen
"We took a close look at Jacques' performance level at the end of last season. After an extremely tough first half of the year - which showed that even a former World Champion cannot come back after a period away and be competitive from day one - he got closer and closer to his team-mate over the second half of the season. We are in no doubt that Jacques will make the BMW Sauber F1 Team stronger."

Translated:
"Look, let's be honest here, JV was crap early in the season, Massa smashed him. Later in the year, he was still crap, but closer to Massa.

Kovaleinen was Renault's, and nobody else wanted to drive for us, so we decided to let him prove himself to be slow again next year"
(I am actually a psuedo-JV fan)

Kudos JV for not quitting, and all the best for 2006...
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1474651)   #14
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overall I'm Happy for Jacques. But undoubtedly now the pressure is on - he goes into 2006 knowing that BMW possibly didn't want him there. However, such is the professionalism of BMW as an outfit, I am confident they shall not let this get in the way of thier working relationship.

I hope JV sees sense, and concentrates on what he does best - we as fans, and the media alike need to ease the pressure on him. He needs to show us what he can do.

GO JV!

PAUL
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1474655)   #15
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a god !!
Old 1 Dec 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1474661)   #16
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd put money on him suprising the whole field, yes he was poor at the start of the seaon but he did improve more than most and with testing and time in the car he will be up there, he was world champion for a reason
Old 1 Dec 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1474663)   #17
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thats good news for F1 fans - would be a shame to lose him from the sport, he's still a fighter on the track and off track he's not affraid to speak his mind. F1 would be a duller place without him.
Would have been such a shame if he'd been replaced by yet yet another characterless post-pubescent teenager who's pleased just to be there and has nothing to say for himself.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1474669)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Gerhard Berger had a lot to say for himself and was full of character.

Should we get him in to replace Nico Rosberg?
Old 1 Dec 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1474700)   #19
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwelshman
I'd put money on him suprising the whole field, yes he was poor at the start of the seaon but he did improve more than most and with testing and time in the car he will be up there, he was world champion for a reason
But those in the know are well aware that JV is as fast or faster than anyone on the grid, if the car is up to the challenge. It is incredible to me that Massa's quickness and skill was downplayed by many here, in a feeble attempt to deny JV's real progress in '05.

Anyhow, another page finally turns in JV's tumultuous career. I am glad that he has bit his tongue through all of this and he now gets a real chance to strut his stuff on the track. With Nick as a teammate, and the resources at hand, I look for a progressive season, with a podium or two, not out of the question.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1474704)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, well we now Massa is fast, in an average sort of way.

Was it so outrageous to expect JV to at least have his measure? No. Did JV underperform badly last season? Without a shadow of doubt.

Heidfeld is way better than Massa so JV has to up his game. He could run Nick reasonably close if he hits the ground running, though it is an outside chance IMO.

Sadly, I fear BMW politics will prove to JV's detriment eventually.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1474722)   #21
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My heart hopes he makes a go of it and my head says he's going to have a tough season ahead. I'd imagine sales of "1001 Excuses for All Situations" will be quite brisk.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1474724)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Not sure about that, he'll only need one copy.

No need to buy in bulk.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1474725)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's realistically no-one immediately better available.

Now its up to Jacques to make himself indispensable.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1474730)   #24
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
There's realistically no-one immediately better available.

Now its up to Jacques to make himself indispensable.
Too true KB, in the short term JV is the best choice and he's relatively cheap. In the long run, my guess is he's just keeping that seat warm.
-
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1474732)   #25
bumpsteer
Rookie

bumpsteer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Exactly K-B. There was no other choice. Who is their avalable who could do a better job? The money it would have cost BMW to pay him off against running a former World Champion was not good business.