Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Oct 2021, 07:55 (Ref:4079074)   #26
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Wow, looked like such a minor incident.
Hmmmmmm. I was at Donny and the incident happened right in front of me. Jack got out the car fine. Had pictures with people next to the fence and wondered off with no issues.

I had a bigger accident in my C1 at Oulton where the car got written off after getting smacked on both sides and sent into the tyres this year and needed no medical intervention.

Something else going on I suspect.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4079079)   #27
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I have nothing against Sutton, in fact I think that he deserves the title and is the class of the field. But I would love to see the title go down to a last race decider. Seems unlikely.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 09:58 (Ref:4079080)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
It's a bit of a moot point anyhow. Replacing Butcher with Cook in your original post, mathematically he could still win it but only if he took maximum possible points and everyone above him scored nothing.

The best anyone has done this year has been a 50-point weekend - Turkington at Snetterton and Butcher at Thruxton. Anything over 40 points would be considered an exceptional weekend.

Turkington has averaged 31.5 points per weekend so far, so a typical weekend for him would see him match barely Sutton's current score. Unless Sutton destroys the car in FP/Q and has to sit out the weekend I don't see that anyone else has a realistic chance.
I agree that the chasing pack are long shots to overhaul Sutton. But - rain at Brands on finals day.......
Old 19 Oct 2021, 10:15 (Ref:4079081)   #29
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I agree that the chasing pack are long shots to overhaul Sutton. But - rain at Brands on finals day.......
I’m not sure rain will even affect Sutton like it does other RWD cars
Old 19 Oct 2021, 10:39 (Ref:4079082)   #30
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sutton has an even bigger advantage in the wet. And the weight would be nullified a bit, right?
Old 19 Oct 2021, 10:58 (Ref:4079083)   #31
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Hmmmmmm. I was at Donny and the incident happened right in front of me. Jack got out the car fine. Had pictures with people next to the fence and wondered off with no issues.

I had a bigger accident in my C1 at Oulton where the car got written off after getting smacked on both sides and sent into the tyres this year and needed no medical intervention.

Something else going on I suspect.
The way Smelt got turned around by Boardley meant that he fired across the track into the front left hand side of Butel's car with the throttle wide open, it was a surprisingly big impact. It'll most likely have been the initial rotation from the impact that caused concussion.

Concussion is a weird one. Having had unfortunate experience of it several times earlier in my life (falling off bikes and banging my head before helmets were popular/available) I can say with some certainty that you can appear all fine and dandy in the immediate aftermath of a blow, but then feel *really* crook a day or so later. It isn't a pleasant thing at all.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 10:59 (Ref:4079084)   #32
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
I’m not sure rain will even affect Sutton like it does other RWD cars
I don't mean how Sutton's performance will be affected, but more the likelihood of race-ending incidents occurring....
Old 19 Oct 2021, 11:14 (Ref:4079085)   #33
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Yes. They have duplicated the scores for Ingram and Hill as 278 then everything down to Proctor has the score from the line above.

Full chart is on TSL after each round.
https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=T...4003ptstrg.pdf
https://twitter.com/pitchbtcc/status/1450390272400035847?t=KHbk03F5vhXM4TwiZB9n3Q&s=19

It's spreading....
Old 19 Oct 2021, 11:23 (Ref:4079086)   #34
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
https://twitter.com/pitchbtcc/status/1450390272400035847?t=KHbk03F5vhXM4TwiZB9n3Q&s=19

It's spreading....
At least the BTCC webmaster has seen this thread and updated the page.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 13:08 (Ref:4079097)   #35
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The way Smelt got turned around by Boardley meant that he fired across the track into the front left hand side of Butel's car with the throttle wide open, it was a surprisingly big impact. It'll most likely have been the initial rotation from the impact that caused concussion.

Concussion is a weird one. Having had unfortunate experience of it several times earlier in my life (falling off bikes and banging my head before helmets were popular/available) I can say with some certainty that you can appear all fine and dandy in the immediate aftermath of a blow, but then feel *really* crook a day or so later. It isn't a pleasant thing at all.
How dare you supply us with facts, Greem! Go to the back of the class and stand in the corner. ?

Totally agree with you, sometimes the most innocuous incident can cause a concussion. And they don't take that sort of thing lightly anymore after Andrew Jordan at Snetterton a few years ago.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 16:33 (Ref:4079114)   #36
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
How dare you supply us with facts, Greem! Go to the back of the class and stand in the corner. ?

Totally agree with you, sometimes the most innocuous incident can cause a concussion. And they don't take that sort of thing lightly anymore after Andrew Jordan at Snetterton a few years ago.
Not disagreeing with either of you on the seriousness of concussion. And none of us know what happened off track after the event. All I'll say is the incident happened right in front of me and he didn't get carted of to the medical center like I did in my race.

Seems it's one rule for some racers and not for others then.....

For reference my crash. Where I was knocked out.

https://youtu.be/U4XI-XS54VA
Old 19 Oct 2021, 16:46 (Ref:4079115)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There are tighter rules now on racing after suffering concussion. We just have to take Butel's word for it, no reason not to. Obviously the incident looked minor, so he must have had a nasty jolt. So that's my theory

Definitely yours looked a lot worse Auroan
Old 19 Oct 2021, 16:56 (Ref:4079120)   #38
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not disagreeing with either of you on the seriousness of concussion. And none of us know what happened off track after the event. All I'll say is the incident happened right in front of me and he didn't get carted of to the medical center like I did in my race.

Oof. That was *hard*. Bloody good thing FHRs were made mandatory or you definitely would have had concussion (or worse...). Glad you were OK despite the car damage and being knocked out.

Back to Donington - can't speak for Butel but I got the medics out to Morgan's crash and they checked him over trackside; he got *very* clear instructions to report to Doc Traff if he so much as felt a bit off at any point in the meeting. I suspect the same would have happened to Butel when he got back to the paddock.

Still, onwards to Brands where I'm sure we'll have cars in the Paddock Hill trap on the first lap of race 1!
Old 19 Oct 2021, 17:04 (Ref:4079123)   #39
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Glad you are alright after that. Not nice to see a stationary car in front of you like that I imagine.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 17:12 (Ref:4079124)   #40
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There are tighter rules now on racing after suffering concussion. We just have to take Butel's word for it, no reason not to. Obviously the incident looked minor, so he must have had a nasty jolt. So that's my theory

Definitely yours looked a lot worse Auroan
A few years ago TOCA was trialling sensors worn in the drivers' ears which measured the force of impact. Are they being used by all drivers now?
Old 21 Oct 2021, 15:45 (Ref:4079365)   #41
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
An observation as we head into the weekend - the top six cars are all different chassis/engine combinations.
Does this give clear evidence that the NGTC formula is a success - allowing manufacturers and independents to compete on equal footing, and manufacturer engines to compete alongside TOCA's unit?

Or can we claim the series is boring with four Hondas in the top ten?!?!
Old 21 Oct 2021, 15:59 (Ref:4079368)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
A few years ago TOCA was trialling sensors worn in the drivers' ears which measured the force of impact. Are they being used by all drivers now?
I'm not sure on the specifics, but I know the RESCUE-RACER study was commenced in 2019. Maybe COVID has delayed the findings?

https://www-neurochemistry.neurosurg...h/RESCUE-RACER

The study consists of two parts. The first investigates 40 UK-based racing drivers at baseline, recruiting mainly from the British Touring Car Championship and its associated series. Post-injury tests are open to international motorsport competitors, to be carried out during the 2019 race season. The second part assesses a minimum of 20 drivers in the acute post-injury period (up to three weeks after injury).
Old 22 Oct 2021, 09:54 (Ref:4079444)   #43
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ITV will be streaming the Saturday support races after the qualifying stream on https://www.itv.com/btcc/articles/qualifying this weekend.
Old 22 Oct 2021, 11:00 (Ref:4079450)   #44
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Oof. That was *hard*. Bloody good thing FHRs were made mandatory or you definitely would have had concussion (or worse...). Glad you were OK despite the car damage and being knocked out.

Back to Donington - can't speak for Butel but I got the medics out to Morgan's crash and they checked him over trackside; he got *very* clear instructions to report to Doc Traff if he so much as felt a bit off at any point in the meeting. I suspect the same would have happened to Butel when he got back to the paddock.

Still, onwards to Brands where I'm sure we'll have cars in the Paddock Hill trap on the first lap of race 1!
Mr Butel was seen at the medical centre at Donington following his accident. There is no conspiracy here, sometimes the reason given is true…
Old 22 Oct 2021, 11:07 (Ref:4079451)   #45
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
An observation as we head into the weekend - the top six cars are all different chassis/engine combinations.
Does this give clear evidence that the NGTC formula is a success - allowing manufacturers and independents to compete on equal footing, and manufacturer engines to compete alongside TOCA's unit?

Or can we claim the series is boring with four Hondas in the top ten?!?!
Definitely the latter, I don't know how you dare to suggest the former could be remotely true
Old 22 Oct 2021, 11:51 (Ref:4079457)   #46
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
ITV will be streaming the Saturday support races after the qualifying stream on https://www.itv.com/btcc/articles/qualifying this weekend.
Yes, the one event of the year they actually bother to cover properly. Do this for every round please, ITV!
Old 22 Oct 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4079460)   #47
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Yes, the one event of the year they actually bother to cover properly. Do this for every round please, ITV!
It's the one event of the year (mostly) where the titles are decided. They are filming it not specifically for the livestream but for the Mototsport UK highlight package. Would be a bit silly if after the whole season they potentially can't show the race in which title is decided.
Old 22 Oct 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4079464)   #48
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a bit silly that they don't show every race as a matter of course. It's pretty ridiculous that for some series they only show one of three races on a given weekend. You can't really get into a championship as a viewer if you've missed most of it, can you?
Old 22 Oct 2021, 16:05 (Ref:4079468)   #49
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's a bit silly that they don't show every race as a matter of course. It's pretty ridiculous that for some series they only show one of three races on a given weekend. You can't really get into a championship as a viewer if you've missed most of it, can you?
Yeah, I wish I could follow the Mini Challenge closer, but pointless if I can't see half the races.
Old 22 Oct 2021, 16:10 (Ref:4079469)   #50
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If it made financial sense to show them all then I'm sure they would.