Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 11 Jan 2003, 16:27 (Ref:471220)   #76
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Meoni stoped to help Roma and lost a few minutes ...

Ciao Marco
Old 11 Jan 2003, 16:52 (Ref:471243)   #77
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arrivederci Roma
Looks like Sainct has divine guidance this year.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 17:00 (Ref:471248)   #78
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hey Roma was spanish .. is Adiós Roma

Ciao Marco
Old 11 Jan 2003, 17:20 (Ref:471260)   #79
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks
Old 11 Jan 2003, 19:16 (Ref:471344)   #80
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
Meoni stoped to help Roma and lost a few minutes ...
Although it wasn't as bad as it could've been because all KTM riders slowed in a gentleman's agreement.

Couple of other points-
  • Lead non-KTM (especially for Liz) is a Honda, was in around 13th place when I last checked
  • The Jaguar was out with some form of engine problem, definate, I think it must be crankshaft as I've no idea where else I could've got that from!!!
Old 12 Jan 2003, 13:05 (Ref:472020)   #81
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone finished fifth yesterday on a non-KTM! Or do you mean 13th overall? Is it just me or do the bikers have more personality than the car guys?

And has Jutta lost weight since last year?
Old 12 Jan 2003, 16:46 (Ref:472178)   #82
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Lucky escape

Liz - I meant overall

Right, a bit of shocking news to report on, just read it on Ceefax.

A truck had it wheels blown off in some form of explosion on today's stage. Thankfully, all 3 drivers in the truck are fine - the incident apparantly happened on the Libyan/Egytian border. Obviously the Dakar organisers stopped any further vehicles from going through that area, although the cause is not fully known.

Does remind me of the PAris-Dakar-Cairo of 2000, when because of the terrorist threat in Libya all competitors were airlifted across the country. There is no proof it was a mine, but the report I read did point it in such a direction. If it proves to be the case, we should be thankful that it was a truck that hit it, if a bike did the consequences would be unimaginable.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 18:33 (Ref:472259)   #83
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i am not a expert on rallying, its not may cup of tea, but i just read on telextext that another driver has been injured, after one previous injury and even the death of a competitor. now the stages have got mines in them? is it just me, or is this event way to dangeous to be staged?
Old 12 Jan 2003, 18:43 (Ref:472269)   #84
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
is it just me, or is this event way to dangeous to be staged?
If you can't stand the heat...
Old 12 Jan 2003, 19:37 (Ref:472349)   #85
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the last manly race (and I mean no disrespect to the women involved) left in the world -- lets not sissify it because over 25 years and hundreds of drivers going hundreds of thousands of mile, fewer people have been killed or injured than have died in American Football.

AS long as no one is drafted and forced to compete at gunpoint, leave it alone, I say.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 19:37 (Ref:472351)   #86
Liz
Veteran

P.S. I'm glad it was only a truck that lost its wheels. I take it the people IN the truck are safe?
Old 12 Jan 2003, 20:40 (Ref:472409)   #87
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
i am not a expert on rallying, its not may cup of tea, but i just read on telextext that another driver has been injured, after one previous injury and even the death of a competitor. now the stages have got mines in them? is it just me, or is this event way to dangeous to be staged?
As I've said in another topic, it is by far the most dangerous form of motorsport. They can't wear the same protection as in track sports - it's too hot. There isn't the same medical support - once you've set off the emergency beacon it still can take 20 minutes for the chopper to arrive.

That said, it is the ultimate test of man and machinery, and cannot be beaten. The organisers do everything they can, and won't take unneccesary risks - see the airlift 3 years ago, but, sad as it is, 1 death per Dakar is not uncommon. As it says on the back of your ticket: "Motoracing can be dangerous". The Dakar is just more dangerous than most.

Thus endeth the lesson
Old 13 Jan 2003, 01:00 (Ref:472581)   #88
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And nobody, but nobody, is forced to be there...
Old 13 Jan 2003, 03:24 (Ref:472678)   #89
Liz
Veteran

That KTM truck with its wheels blown off was pretty scary looking, surrounded as it was by signs warning everybody off! I'm sure they're all glad to have a rest day to figure out what to do next.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 12:38 (Ref:472926)   #90
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an accident a few years back, mid-90s maybe, where a truck? ran over a landmine during the rally, with at least one casualty.

As said above it is one of the last proper events left in motorsport that hasn't been completely stuffed due to TV, location etc...like other events and series in motorsport has. The competitors who enter accept the high risks and the danger. I have to say landmines (if that is what it was, has that been confirmed) are pushing it abit though, had the truck strayed much from the main route?
Old 13 Jan 2003, 12:47 (Ref:472937)   #91
Liz
Veteran

Yes, it is confirmed on the Dakar website; and it was on the track they were to follow.

But that territory has been dangerous for a long time and one does lose track of where the mines are, I suppose.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 19:05 (Ref:473330)   #92
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
That KTM truck with its wheels blown off was pretty scary looking, surrounded as it was by signs warning everybody off! I'm sure they're all glad to have a rest day to figure out what to do next.
If you mean those signs with a rubber stamp - that's a checkpoint. Which makes it extremely lucky that the officials weren't hit by anything either.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 02:04 (Ref:473548)   #93
Liz
Veteran

Well today I saw that everyone had passed through safely. I loved the little vignette of the French driver who said "I have two left hands and no ankles -- I'm the nitwit of the desert!" and yet he was out there working his heart out to get to Egypt and the end. Those are the stories I'd like to hear more of.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 09:13 (Ref:473704)   #94
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
They're the true characters of the Dakar, they don't care about the speed, they just want to get to the finish in one piece.

That poem "You go by too quickly" was very good though, another meaning to the Dakar to bring money to the region. There's some rally raids - I seem to remember the Master Rallye of 2000 - where charity trucks follow the event: in this case the 'optic' charity that do eye tests and hand out spectacles that we Westerners have finished with and donated. Anyone know if anything similar happens on the Dakar?
Old 14 Jan 2003, 13:08 (Ref:473855)   #95
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://raid.racing-live.com/en/

This is a good site to follow the Dakar on (from the people that bring you rally-live.com during the rest of the year)
Old 15 Jan 2003, 09:17 (Ref:474855)   #96
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pål Anders was second on yesterday's stage! Just 8 seconds behind, and he had technical problems too!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 11:06 (Ref:474908)   #97
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Bad new on trucks though, looking set to be a right battle, then (leader) De Rooy jr. and a bump and the cabin hinges broke sending it flying forward.
They managed to get out OK, but they are very lucky to do so.

Also saw a couple of drivers more used to a different type of racing - (GT) Paul Belmondo getting stuck on the top of a dune and (ex-F1) Ukyo Katayama rolling it. It got righted, but it was completely full of sand, so, as the French TV put it (I watched their coverage today - how sad am I? ), there was nothign better to do than have a picnic on the sand.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 16:41 (Ref:475190)   #98
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belmondo is also an ex F1 driver. De Rooy jr. and his crew were very lucky indeed to escape that incident unscathed. It's his first Dakar as a driver, and I think it probably was his inexperience showing there. Still, a great shame when he was running so well, but I'm sure he'll be back next year, putting up another great fight.

The desert is tough.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:34 (Ref:475300)   #99
Liz
Veteran

I can't imagine how that truck managed to twist in the middle like that! It was positively weird.

Had to feel sorry for De Mavius too -- he was all choked up when he realised his car was 2" shorter and there was nothing to be done about it ... and the Speed Channel guy (Toby) was quite admiring of Katayama, who seemed philosophical about his barrel roll of the car.

P.S. How did Peterhansel keep from rolling off the top of that dune? That was a miracle, that was!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:39 (Ref:475315)   #100
R
Veteran

Absolutely - perhaps his two wheel experience was what saved him from that fate!

The guy who followed the bike trails off that cliff had good fortune too!