Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2005, 09:56 (Ref:1299761)   #1
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valentino Rossi

Gazzetta dello Sport says : Yamaha team boss Davide Brivio stated that Rossi will extend his current contract another season taking him to the end of 2006 and will then try his hand at Formula One. "We have already agreed on a one-year contract and we know that from 2007 he will be in Formula One," Brivio said.

Driving the pace car ?
Old 13 May 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1299766)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
or the pace bike as the case may be ?

interesting , I'd like to see this happen actually , whether he will be any good I dont know , but he is such a character that no matter what sport he is in it will be worth watching
Old 13 May 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1299789)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting quote. Toyota own Yamaha - perhaps a deal for him to test for their team for a year, perhaps alongside some Formula 3 or similar, and maybe moveup to racing if he shines, has already been agreed? Of course, Brivio may have said "Formula One" as a generic term for car-based racing, or he may have meant "in 2007 he plans to pursue Formula 1" or "in 2007 he will be stfarting out inc ar racing with the aim of reaching Formula 1".

As long a she can ge ton the pace, and it seems likely, I'm sure Rossi would eb a fabulous addition to F1, although I hope the more serious atrmosphere doesn't intimidate or inhibit his natural showmanship.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1299797)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi is already has fairly decent car control, allegedly he wasn't that slow when he tested the Ferrari last year.

He has no reason to go do F3 when I expect F1 teams will be lining up to sign him. Sure, his racecraft may be lacking on four wheels to start with but he's got the brain to deal with that.

If he lands any where I expect it'll be at Toyota (partly due to the Yamaha connection) if they keep their form up, they're really the only team who can afford to employ him alongside all their other drivers.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1299829)   #5
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My bets on Rossi taking over from Michael at Ferrari when he retires !
Old 13 May 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1299831)   #6
Pitbabe
Racer

England
Grove, Oxfordshire
Pitbabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thing won't go away, it's been all over the place this morning.

I love Rossi and all he does on bikes, and his character and personality would light up F1 like a beacon, but would he be competitive enough? I don't think, he'd be happy just making up the numbers.

Also, if 2007 is the target year to begin, he will already by 28 - is that too old? Given that most of the current F1 drivers seem to have started out when they were in their early teens (just the time he stopped racing karts and moved to bikes).

Good point about the Toyota connection, too.
Old 13 May 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1299835)   #7
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbabe
This thing won't go away, it's been all over the place this morning.

I love Rossi and all he does on bikes, and his character and personality would light up F1 like a beacon, but would he be competitive enough? I don't think, he'd be happy just making up the numbers.

Also, if 2007 is the target year to begin, he will already by 28 - is that too old? Given that most of the current F1 drivers seem to have started out when they were in their early teens (just the time he stopped racing karts and moved to bikes).

Good point about the Toyota connection, too.
I know it's a different era, but it's been done before...
Old 13 May 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1299846)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Surely it is not possible to step straight into F1 with no other car racing experience? What about the licence issues?
Old 13 May 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1299856)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My thoughts entirely Craig - he will surely have to do some other racing to satisfy that. In all likelihood the requirements have probably changed since the Surtees era.
Old 13 May 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1299864)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ITV have an interesting twist on this.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=32816
Old 13 May 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1299996)   #11
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be brilliant to see Rossi in formula one. He is such a massive character and could pull in millions of more fans
Old 13 May 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1300006)   #12
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
My thoughts entirely Craig - he will surely have to do some other racing to satisfy that. In all likelihood the requirements have probably changed since the Surtees era.
Well he entered the RAC rally a few seasons back so he must have some sort of four wheeled racing license, I'm sure whoever signs him wouldn't have a problem funding him for a few races here and there in the off season to get the required paperwork in order.
Old 13 May 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1300069)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That idea of Michael and Tino being teamerd up at RBR in 2007 is the msot far-fetched thing I've seen since, well, last month's F1 Racing magazine.

He's an astute guy, very good at picking up on minute details and putting them to use - vvery simialr to Michael in that sense - so I'm sure he'd adapt to F1 after a few tests. Theoretically doing thousands of miles of trouble-free testing would allow him a superlicense without doing a season of F3 or similar anyway? If not, he could do some at Toyota's expense in 2006, on weekends which don't clash with MotoGP perhaps? ALternatively they could place him in Italy's A1 team in winter 2006?
Old 13 May 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1300300)   #14
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 should be the immediate solution
Old 13 May 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1300382)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Fantastic news. Valentino Rossi driving a Ferrari, mentored by Michael Schumacher. Now I like the sound of that
Old 14 May 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1300452)   #16
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember Kimmi? He had not raced cars before he got into F1 either... or only for a year. Rossi has tons of racing experience and I feel its a matter of how well he adjusts to the team he signs with as opposed to his abilities.

He has shown this year that he is ruthless and will win at all costs.
Old 14 May 2005, 03:32 (Ref:1300502)   #17
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a thread on this a while back, after his Ferrari test....IIRC....and I might not....he was as quick or quicker than Burti...or was it Badoer? Anyhoo, he was fast, fast enough for people to ask the question.

I hope he tries it, and I am sure he'd be successful, especially in the right car.
Old 14 May 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1300604)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He wasn't as quick as Burti or Badoer - he was several seconds off.
Old 14 May 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1300651)   #19
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another case of media hype.

From http://www.crash.net

Quote:
"I think it's important to set the record straight about some comments reported in the Italian media this morning as they seem to have appeared elsewhere now," said Brivio at Le Mans today. "I said that we are going to start working on an extension to Valentino's contract and we will be discussing it after Mugello.

"I was then asked about any plan Valentino might have to drive in Formula One and I said that would be Valentino's decision and it might happen. I certainly did not say that he would be in F1 from 2007," emphasised Davide. "From Yamaha's side we hope that he will still be riding for us, but I cannot predict Valentino's future!"
Old 14 May 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1300662)   #20
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap
Remember Kimmi? He had not raced cars before he got into F1 either... or only for a year
As far as I can see, Kimmi had raced cars for 2 years before going into F1:
In 1999: Formula Renault and Formula Ford
In 2000: Formula Renault
Old 14 May 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1300853)   #21
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Again those dudes from speed were incorrect then. Hobbs would constantly rant how he had never driver a car before getting into F1. ...case of blind leading the blind
Old 15 May 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1301524)   #22
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if he is a huge talented driver, he cannot compete in F1.
When he tested Ferrari he was 4 seconds to MS time record in Fiornao in a circuit where you lap in less than 1 minute.
Even if his performance was outstanding, the gap to close is far too much also for him.
Unfortunatly I think we won't see in F1.
Old 15 May 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1301550)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 312T4
Even if he is a huge talented driver, he cannot compete in F1.
When he tested Ferrari he was 4 seconds to MS time record in Fiornao in a circuit where you lap in less than 1 minute.
Even if his performance was outstanding, the gap to close is far too much also for him.
Unfortunatly I think we won't see in F1.
I wonder how many seconds behind VR,MS would be on a MOTOGP bike.
Old 15 May 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1301552)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
That's pretty reasonable for a first test thing 312T4., especially as he hadn't done any circuit car racing befor, and had never been to Fiorano before. Give him a few races in another formula followed by another test and I'm sure he'd be as fast as the slowest F1 guys (realistically I suspect that someone like Bruni would be no closer to the pace evenw ith his F1 experience).
Old 16 May 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1302194)   #25
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi could be one of the most promising potential F1 drivers of the next few years. He has all the attirbutes you need, and has already showed good signs of applying it to cars. The only worry is that maybe the more restrained atmosphere of F1 wouldn't suit him.