Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Oct 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1440790)   #1
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring 12 hrs advice?

I'm thinking off making a trip to Sebring 12 hours in March next year, but have never visited Florida, let alone Sebring. Can anybody give me some advice?? Especially where to fly to, where to stay, deals on tickets etc etc etc
Old 22 Oct 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1440805)   #2
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
www.sebringraceway.com is the track website, lots of information on tickets, and area hotels and such. Another good source is www.sebringfans.com. www.americanlemans.com forums also has a Sebring section. Coming from UK, you can fly into Orlando, Sanford/Orlando or Tampa airports--Tampa the closest. You will need rental car. I can't speak if there are all inclusive package deals out of UK, but somebody else can answer that.

It is a great race and an experience, have a good hat and wear sunscreen, and be prepared for anything from chilly to warm/hot weather as it is spring and changeable.

robert
Old 22 Oct 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1440824)   #3
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside Down Bug
I'm thinking off making a trip to Sebring 12 hours in March next year, but have never visited Florida, let alone Sebring. Can anybody give me some advice?? Especially where to fly to, where to stay, deals on tickets etc etc etc
Don't forget some sort of raingear as well!

Click HERE for my write-up. It has information for Marshals but you might find some good stuff there. I would not count on finding a hotel/motel within 50 miles (at least two hours on raceday). At somepoint on raceday morning (SAT 18 MAR 06) they will stop admitting spectator cars to the track and will provide free shuttle service. If camping is an alternative (FREE), PM for details.

Any interested Marshals, PM as well.

Old 23 Oct 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1440937)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I did it in '04, our first time to Florida too; we took the fortnight with the race on the middle weekend. Flight to Orlando, picked up a campervan, both booked on the net. Did mid-Florida the first week, hit the circuit on Friday, picked up tickets - including a trackside RV space - pre-booked on the net. Second week went south down the Keys and back. Had a great time but don't feel the need to return. TBQH the race is not a patch on Le Mans, but good excuse for a good holiday. Don't forget to visit Daytona - if only to understand how Rockingham is so wide of the mark!
Old 23 Oct 2005, 00:52 (Ref:1440945)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
Don't forget some sort of raingear as well!
Rain?

That just isn't allowed

robert
Old 23 Oct 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1440950)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
Rain?

That just isn't allowed robert
Oops! I forgot. It is "Orange Juice" that falls from the sky.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1441355)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
"Orange Juice"
If that was over in Green Park, I am not so sure that was Juice.......

robert
Old 23 Oct 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1441424)   #8
911GT3RS
Rookie

911GT3RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
Rain?

That just isn't allowed

robert
Great...someone said the "R" word....guess we're going to have a wet day duing the 12hrs...
Old 23 Oct 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1441499)   #9
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice so far, it's given me more places to look and think about. I like the idea of hiring a RV etc. I could still do with as much advice as possible, especially if anyone knows of somewhere to get all inclusive deals.

Not sure about the falling orange juice though!!!!!
Old 23 Oct 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1441522)   #10
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Business as usual

Quote:
Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice so far, it's given me more places to look and think about. I like the idea of hiring a RV etc. I could still do with as much advice as possible, especially if anyone knows of somewhere to get all inclusive deals.

Not sure about the falling orange juice though!!!!!
Make sure you visit the track website and ask questions about RV admission/parking. The track will rent you an RV "In Place" for a LOT of money and I don't think you can use it away from the track.

Click HERE for the largest company in the US. Web page shows availability in Orlando, Miami and Tampa. Class "C" is the `truck cab' with RV body, class "A" is bigger, purpose built and lots more expensive.

I would expect ~6 miles/US (128oz/3.76L) gallon of gas. Current price is ~$2.75/gal. Hopefully it will be back down by the time you get here.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1441566)   #11
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911GT3RS
Great...someone said the "R" word....guess we're going to have a wet day duing the 12hrs...
Don't blame me, I am firmly against rain at the race track and will do my standard Sebring week anti-rain dance (yes, I know, failed miserably on Thursday this year...).

The RV's rented through the track are parked in a spot for you and aren't moved. I believe they do that at turn one so you get trackside space too, but I believe around $6000 total for race week.

If you are going to rent one and drive in, get there early, especially if driving an RV is new to you and you want to avoid parking in tight spaces.

robert
Old 24 Oct 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1441658)   #12
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
UDB - I think we went with CruiseAmerica too, and they sorted the flights so almost 'inclusive'. We had a 'small' RV, I think it was the 2nd size up, it was huge for just the 2 of us and seemed to do 15 - 20 to the gallon. Very easy to drive though, no worries there. I'll PM you my list of URLs from that hol, from the office tomorrow...
Old 24 Oct 2005, 05:58 (Ref:1441779)   #13
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I went with 500mm last year was fantastic get to Turn Ten at sometime you'll have fun!

Hotels very expensive unless you drive a away from Sebring, we flew LHR to Miami then hired a car drove up to Sebring nice straight forward trip (HW 25/US 27) one road takes you there about 3.5 hours and about 190 miles. I had a Motor home in the paddock it was delivered and set up for me just the job and about $1000 for a week. I was next door to the Rollcentre guys. An alternative route fly in to Orlando, this is OK but just remember you get all the Families going to Disney!

It was very hot and very wet! On the Thursday we had two or three tornado warnings and an incredible amount of rain, the rest of the time very hot and humid
Old 24 Oct 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1442185)   #14
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fly to Orlando or failing that Tampa, not Miami because
a) Miami has the single worst immigration entry point in to the US
b) It's only an hour and a half away (2hrs Tampa)

I've only ever stayed in little Villas about 30 mins away (North) of the track - it's the place many of the teams use.

Signum Resort Las Palmas
600 East Canfield Street
Avon Park
Florida
Tel 863 452 2020
Fax 863 452 0545

Fortunately I've missed the wet races - the sun is lovely at that time and it's generally not school vacation
Old 28 Oct 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1445823)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I did Sebring in 2003 . How I found reasonable accomodation is , i got in contact with the "Sebring chamber of commerce" whose number i got off the internet . I contacted them and explained that I was looking for a place to stay . They have some families who do bed and breakfast , much the same as at Le Mans , and they supplied me with some phone numbers .The deal was done over the phone and money sent via western express .
I found that telephone cards dont work inside the circuit , maybe it was just my card though ?
I didnt enjoy the ants so bring something against them .
The track food is brilliant !!! Keep your eye open for a "Johnsonville" Bratwurst truck . Its a 40 foot grill with pneumatic lid and can cook something like 2500 brats in an hour . Pork butt on a stick .
My place for the last 3 hours was at the inside of the last corner , there is a gate post that can serve as a beer table or seat and a good view as the cars come blasting out of the corner and head off up the straight .
I loved it !!