Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Apr 2024, 16:55 (Ref:4205176)   #1
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2024 BTCC Round One - Donington

Thankfully the BARC has actually updated the website with the timetable for this opening round of the season ( https://www.barc.net/event/toca-race...l-april-27-28/ )- TOCA are yet to update their site with the full information of teams, drivers or timetables. So much for their new media representative.

Anyway, qualifying on Saturday is showing as happening from 15:25 to 16:20.

The first BTCC race on Sunday will be at 11:30.
Old 16 Apr 2024, 18:37 (Ref:4205183)   #2
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Thankfully the BARC has actually updated the website with the timetable for this opening round of the season ( https://www.barc.net/event/toca-race...l-april-27-28/ )- TOCA are yet to update their site with the full information of teams, drivers or timetables. So much for their new media representative.

Anyway, qualifying on Saturday is showing as happening from 15:25 to 16:20.

The first BTCC race on Sunday will be at 11:30.
TOCA only ever publishes its final timetables on the Tuesday of the week before the event, so nothing unusual there.
Old 16 Apr 2024, 18:44 (Ref:4205185)   #3
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Typically a full set of provisional timetables would be made available for the season on or around media day.
Old 17 Apr 2024, 05:55 (Ref:4205201)   #4
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bet the weather is changeable! As for winners, that might be a bit more random.
Old 19 Apr 2024, 19:04 (Ref:4205489)   #5
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV4 broadcast is 10.40am - 6.45pm, so looks like we'll get 10 races on TV (3 BTCC, 2 PCCGB, 2 Legends, 1 F4, 1 Radical & 1 Mini Challenge)
Old 23 Apr 2024, 10:17 (Ref:4206159)   #6
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV Sport Youtube channel has a placeholder for live qualifying coverage.
I suppose that confirms a continuation, and I expect there will be a few mentions of the races being live on TikTok during that commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h12VWlSU-_s
Old 23 Apr 2024, 16:16 (Ref:4206196)   #7
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
ITV Sport Youtube channel has a placeholder for live qualifying coverage.
I suppose that confirms a continuation, and I expect there will be a few mentions of the races being live on TikTok during that commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h12VWlSU-_s
the info is on the btcc site

https://btcc.net/tv/
Old 24 Apr 2024, 06:09 (Ref:4206238)   #8
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite all the upheaval and the reduced entry list I cannot wait for this.
Old 24 Apr 2024, 10:16 (Ref:4206257)   #9
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
It's funny to think that it seems like there has been lots of change, but actually there isn't that much - just people leaving

Napa - no changes
Hyundai - no changes
WSR - no changes, 1 driver less
PMR - no changes, 1 driver less
Hard - no changes, 5 drivers less
Toyota - all change (drivers)
Restart - all new
One Motorsport - gone
Old 24 Apr 2024, 10:29 (Ref:4206258)   #10
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
It's funny to think that it seems like there has been lots of change, but actually there isn't that much - just people leaving

Napa - no changes
Hyundai - no changes
WSR - no changes, 1 driver less
PMR - no changes, 1 driver less
Hard - no changes, 5 drivers less
Toyota - all change (drivers)
Restart - all new
One Motorsport - gone
HARD - 6 drivers less
Un-Limited - new
Old 24 Apr 2024, 10:38 (Ref:4206259)   #11
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, if HARD remained with 6 cars the grid numbers would be still very healthy. On the other hand though, do we want such a dysfunctional team in the BTCC? I don't. The show can still be good with 20 cars even though it'd feel small and poor (especially in the beginning). Let's just stay hopeful that we'll see slight increase in 2025 with quality staying as high (or even higher) as is now.
Old 24 Apr 2024, 10:56 (Ref:4206260)   #12
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Yeah, if HARD remained with 6 cars the grid numbers would be still very healthy. On the other hand though, do we want such a dysfunctional team in the BTCC? I don't. The show can still be good with 20 cars even though it'd feel small and poor (especially in the beginning). Let's just stay hopeful that we'll see slight increase in 2025 with quality staying as high (or even higher) as is now.
Agreed, I'm really excited about the new season, we've got all the usual suspects up the front but with some who could pull a few surprises. Its good to have a genuine underdog for the fans to get behind and maybe Un-Limited will take that position, Deleon is inexperienced but he's no slouch. The thing with HARD was they were always saying they were a small family team, how can that be the case when they were the largest team on the grid (in terms of car numbers)
Old 25 Apr 2024, 07:47 (Ref:4206361)   #13
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
I think peoples differing opinions on the reduced entry list is probably determined by ‘how much of a fan you are’. By that I mean your average fan who watches on TV and rarely attends a race or perhaps your someone that attends religiously and never misses a meeting. Personally I fall some where in the middle of those 2. Usually attend 7 meetings a year, missing out the likes of Croft, oulton and knockhill as there a fair distance away. So I think if your trackside your really going to notice the difference in grid size this year. From the TV however I don’t think much will change. For that very reason I’ll be attending 1 or 2 less meetings this year.
Old 25 Apr 2024, 09:37 (Ref:4206364)   #14
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
I think peoples differing opinions on the reduced entry list is probably determined by ‘how much of a fan you are’. By that I mean your average fan who watches on TV and rarely attends a race or perhaps your someone that attends religiously and never misses a meeting. Personally I fall some where in the middle of those 2. Usually attend 7 meetings a year, missing out the likes of Croft, oulton and knockhill as there a fair distance away. So I think if your trackside your really going to notice the difference in grid size this year. From the TV however I don’t think much will change. For that very reason I’ll be attending 1 or 2 less meetings this year.
By attending 7 meetings a year, I think that most people would put you in the super fan category, and not in the middle ground!
Old 25 Apr 2024, 10:22 (Ref:4206370)   #15
SSmith
Veteran

Entry List

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...d-25042024.pdf

As ever, what is listed on the entry is provisional.

BTCC - 20

MINI Challenge - 21 (16 JCW + 5 JCW Sport)

Quite a strong field. Dan Zelos undeniably the favourite, but King, Wheatley, Tanner, Gravett, Osborne and Hall should all be frontrunners. Matt Hammond is competing for EXCELR8 (entry list says team is TBC). JCW Sport is a questionable addition (IMO) but has attracted some decent competitors. Hannah Chapman is competing as a guest entry in JCW Sport with a biofuel/sustainable fuel car.

PCCGB - 24 (12 Pro, 10 Pro-Am, 2 Am)
Seemingly several changes since Media Day. Will Martin returns to GB with Eden Race Drive, increasing the Pro class to 12. Late entries from Henry Dawes (Century) and Will Aspin (Eden Race Drive) boost Pro-Am up to 10 entries. It is virtually impossible to predict a champion in either class. Still only 2 Ams and, with the utmost respect to Hosking, it is likely a bit of a foregone conclusion in favour of Mowle.

British F4 - 22
Strong national and international mix. 4 women competitors (Pulling, Chong, Lloyd, and Gademan). Deagen Fairclough is perhaps the favourite for the title, but there are at least 10 drivers capable of winning races.

Legends - 32
Radical Cup UK - 24 (8 SR1 + 16 SR3)

Fields look competitive and a few familiar names from their previous TOCA appearances. Hopefully the racing proves to be good.

Last edited by SSmith; 25 Apr 2024 at 10:37.
Old 25 Apr 2024, 10:29 (Ref:4206371)   #16
cxx666
Rookie

United Kingdom
Edinburgh
cxx666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
I'll second the super fan thing. Given how many I've seen on Facebook and Reddit posting asking questions that have been asked already, or can easily be answered with a quick Googling, I'd say there are an awful lot more 'occasional' fans who just dip in and out.

Personally, I watch live on TV when I can (work permitting) and for the last 15 years or so have gone to 3 weekends a year, and 1 or 2 from 1999 to 2009. I'd have thought that 3 a year might be slightly higher than the 'average' fan, but definitely not in the category of super fan. Grid sizes aren't concerning me, I understand why they're down on previous years and that championships will naturally have years where they dip slightly. As I have seen on Facebook, all those getting ready to write the championship off with 20 on the grid for the start of the year clearly weren't around at the start of the BTC era where we had less than half that at the start with numbers later being boosted by creating the production class, essentially killing off what I believe was the National Saloon Championship?

Last edited by cxx666; 25 Apr 2024 at 10:44.
Old 25 Apr 2024, 11:14 (Ref:4206376)   #17
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Great they’ve all made it into the 20s, was worried about the Minis. Looking forward to it.

Almost a bit strange that BTCC has the least of them all!
Old 25 Apr 2024, 11:51 (Ref:4206379)   #18
coffinpilot
Racer

On the watching from trackside thing, I suppose it is down to the track as well. Brands Indy/Knockhill will be fine, Snett and Donington National may look a little sparse.

I do 8 rounds a year - but it's my photography hobby, and one of my kids works in the paddock!
Old 25 Apr 2024, 12:37 (Ref:4206382)   #19
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Great they’ve all made it into the 20s, was worried about the Minis. Looking forward to it.

MINI entry should grow in season - there is one car that isn’t present for Donington but should be out from round two (touch wood)
Old 25 Apr 2024, 12:43 (Ref:4206384)   #20
coffinpilot
Racer

Can anyone tell me why Hugo Ellis in PCCB has C for his number on the entry list?
Old 25 Apr 2024, 12:47 (Ref:4206385)   #21
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Can anyone tell me why Hugo Ellis in PCCB has C for his number on the entry list?
Pass - he’s running #8 today
Old 25 Apr 2024, 14:29 (Ref:4206399)   #22
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

Yes a little strange, but should definitely be a good weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
MINI entry should grow in season - there is one car that isn’t present for Donington but should be out from round two (touch wood)
That is encouraging to hear. I seem to recall reading (in Autosport or on the Mini Challenge website) that Trevor Keates and the Mannpower team were interested in JCW, and I wonder if a few people are waiting to see how the JCW Sport cars perform on track before committing.
Old 25 Apr 2024, 18:18 (Ref:4206438)   #23
AJD
Rookie

AJD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the subject of attending meetings. I'm a regular at Croft and go every year. Have done Knockhill and Donington, where would people suggest as a good choice for a change of scenery this season?
Old 25 Apr 2024, 18:24 (Ref:4206439)   #24
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD View Post
On the subject of attending meetings. I'm a regular at Croft and go every year. Have done Knockhill and Donington, where would people suggest as a good choice for a change of scenery this season?
Oulton Park or Snetterton are worth a look. Silverstone is pretty terrible both for atmosphere and viewing
Old 25 Apr 2024, 19:40 (Ref:4206448)   #25
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD View Post
Definitely Oulton or Snett, both great tracks to watch at. Snett just too far for me to go very often!