Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Apr 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3818468)   #1936
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can we not have that again.
Old 10 May 2018, 02:35 (Ref:3821180)   #1937
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has anyone noticed that the Penske Acuras at certain angles look like the Jaguar Budlight XJR-14? They seem to have the same general proportions, color and cockpit.
Old 11 May 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3821542)   #1938
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big discussion about DPI vs LMP1 on the Marshall Pruett This Week in Sportscars podcast. Good stuff. They thankfully don't leave out GT discussion too.

https://racer.com/2018/05/10/the-wee...raham-goodwin/

The main point is that they are not just compatible anymore. This was not brought up, but I wonder how a DPI would do at a place like Spa with Michilen tires and no BOP. They could be up there with the Oreca R13 cars maybe? Perhaps the remaining LMP2 teams like JDC and Performance Tech should look at ways to go to ELMS and abandon IMSA for the rest of the year.
Old 11 May 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3821544)   #1939
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you take away BoP from DPi then costs will get out of hand very quickly. You have manufacturers involved in that.
Old 11 May 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3821551)   #1940
EffectiveSprinkles
Racer

EffectiveSprinkles should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridEffectiveSprinkles should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridEffectiveSprinkles should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
but I wonder how a DPI would do at a place like Spa with Michilen tires and no BOP. They could be up there with the Oreca R13 cars maybe?
Not even close. The engine may provide enough power but the car would be way too heavy and not have enough downforce.
Old 11 May 2018, 19:18 (Ref:3821555)   #1941
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Not even close. The engine may provide enough power but the car would be way too heavy and not have enough downforce.
And to add to this, whilst I'm sure the Caddy engine and Acura engines would provide enough power, the Mazda would last a lap before the most spectacular explosion ever.
Old 12 May 2018, 04:28 (Ref:3821603)   #1942
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Has anyone noticed that the Penske Acuras at certain angles look like the Jaguar Budlight XJR-14? They seem to have the same general proportions, color and cockpit.
I guess not! A lot of you kids probably did not get to see the XJR-14 debut live in 1992 at RA.

The 3/4 profile, the stance and the color of the Acura's remind me of the Jag. Of course, put them side by side and there will huge differences. It's just those momentary glimpses that bring back those memories.
Old 12 May 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3821679)   #1943
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I guess not! A lot of you kids probably did not get to see the XJR-14 debut live in 1992 at RA.

The 3/4 profile, the stance and the color of the Acura's remind me of the Jag. Of course, put them side by side and there will huge differences. It's just those momentary glimpses that bring back those memories.
I just had to go look at some videos. I can see the resemblance, especially in the front fender shape.
Old 12 May 2018, 23:27 (Ref:3821914)   #1944
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My problem is I’m familiar with the XJR-14, but not the Acuras on track.
Old 12 May 2018, 23:38 (Ref:3821917)   #1945
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I know of something that even more closely resembles (the front end of) the Acura DPi:

*hands out some barf buckets to all those assembled*
Old 12 May 2018, 23:52 (Ref:3821920)   #1946
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

You say the Acura looks like the XJR-14, what about the identical Oreca 07?
Old 14 May 2018, 23:34 (Ref:3822462)   #1947
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
My problem is Iím familiar with the XJR-14, but not the Acuras on track.
I saw the XJR-14 up close and on track while my comments about the Acuras were inspired by the video-replay of Mid-Ohio. There's something in the ratio of design and balance that triggers a memory.

I know this is comparing a seed to a tree. I've seen that original XJR-14 later metamorphize into 4 or 5 successful cars. In its later years, it really did not look or sound like it did in its youth but it was almost always successful.

We'll see with the Acuras but fun having them trigger these old memories.

Here's one of my favorite videos of the XJR-14 in a historic race at Monza. The instruments and video are much more modern but the left hand shift and the power and vibration of the flat-plane Cosworth are evident. Watch when the car gains speed and see the vibration in the video. The modern cars are so smooth.

It seemed getting the right gear selection on the left was a key. I remember seeing Davy Jones come flying down from T12 to T1 on his first flying lap and missing gears. He later figured it out. I think this is a reason we saw the introduction of the paddle shift.

I was next to the car as they worked on it and then started it up. Honestly, it sounded like a bunch of nuts and bolts had been thrown into a metal can and shaken. When I first heard it idling, I thought it was going to fall apart.

But, when at speed, oh what an incredible sound.

I'm sure the Acuras have a much more modern and smooth sound than that scream of the XJR-14. It's just that the Acuras are invoking those memories bodes well for the series, IMO.

Here's a YouTube I've watched many times. Interesting seeing that Momo steering wheel. I asked Moretti about the origins of the Momo name? He replied that it was a combination of the first two letters of his name, "Mo" and the first two letters of his favorite track Monza, "Mo" = MoMo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rl8NQhtvk8
Old 15 May 2018, 02:20 (Ref:3822489)   #1948
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Here's one of my favorite videos of the XJR-14 in a historic race at Monza. The instruments and video are much more modern but the left hand shift and the power and vibration of the flat-plane Cosworth are evident. Watch when the car gains speed and see the vibration in the video. The modern cars are so smooth.

It seemed getting the right gear selection on the left was a key. I remember seeing Davy Jones come flying down from T12 to T1 on his first flying lap and missing gears. He later figured it out. I think this is a reason we saw the introduction of the paddle shift.

I was next to the car as they worked on it and then started it up. Honestly, it sounded like a bunch of nuts and bolts had been thrown into a metal can and shaken. When I first heard it idling, I thought it was going to fall apart.

But, when at speed, oh what an incredible sound.

Here's a YouTube I've watched many times. Interesting seeing that Momo steering wheel. I asked Moretti about the origins of the Momo name? He replied that it was a combination of the first two letters of his name, "Mo" and the first two letters of his favorite track Monza, "Mo" = MoMo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rl8NQhtvk8
Thanks for posting that video. It is a throwback seeing the steering wheel with no buttons, screens, paddles, knobs or anything on them.