Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 24 May 2022, 17:02 (Ref:4111179)   #751
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dr Bob goes to Pau.

The 2022 motor racing trip continues. Robert,myself and Delta crew went to Pau. Robert acquitted himself very well in his fist trip to a street circuit and a very difficult one as well.We finished well down against a lot of quicker cars but came in second on index performance. If we go again I will put a shorter diff in but very happy to add another trophy to his collection. Wonderful to be back at Pau racing. Unfortunately it was blooming hot well over 30 degrees so Robert "not feeling great "missed prize giving. The other bloke got in on the photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 24 May 2022 at 18:13.
Old 24 May 2022, 18:19 (Ref:4111193)   #752
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent result, that is a great little car.
Old 24 May 2022, 21:32 (Ref:4111208)   #753
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is Dr Bob's little Lotus the result of his queries (was it last year or the year before) about what to buy to race around Europe?
Old 27 May 2022, 05:12 (Ref:4111458)   #754
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
27th May Two years on. Still and always in our memories Mike.
Old 27 May 2022, 09:27 (Ref:4111483)   #755
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Lovely guy, only met him a couple of times but he was so amicable
Old 27 May 2022, 13:07 (Ref:4111497)   #756
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I still have the calendar on the wall in the workshop, paused for thought when I ssaw it only the other day.
Old 27 May 2022, 16:45 (Ref:4111517)   #757
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I still have the calendar on the wall in the workshop, paused for thought when I ssaw it only the other day.
Yeah I have it over my bench in the garage too….one of the good guys. He was missed at Spa last weekend.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 27 May 2022, 16:56 (Ref:4111520)   #758
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't forget the Magic Mike Bell thread folks. Some posters are remembering Mike there.
Old 28 May 2022, 09:05 (Ref:4111592)   #759
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic Touring Car Club meeting at Oulton Park is live on YouTube from 11.35h today. Some excellent grids, including 29 car pre-66 saloons, and Super Tourers featuring John Cleland and Anthony Reid.

Live Stream:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZf...bSW3GX9HvjPmRQ

Event Details:

https://www.barc.net/event/barc-race...oulton-park-2/
Old 28 May 2022, 12:45 (Ref:4111612)   #760
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recall Mike enthusing about his all-electric BMW.

We were away in North Wales last week and took the wife's recently acquired KIA Niro HEV. I was astonished that and some very mixed road journeys, up and down a lot of hills plus 3 days of extremely short trips from cold, it averaged around 60mpg for the week. I'm slightly wary of the computer's claim. However, it has a 45ltr tank and showed a projected range of 498 miles when filled. We probably drove about 450 miles, with a few days being only cold starts and very short runs. The calculation for the remaining range shows just over 100 miles based on what has been achieved recently. So a summertime range of journeys in the high 50s mpg seems possible. Given 18" wheels and wide tyres I'm quite impressed.

Not exactly a "sports" car but given the limited options for enthusiastic driving in the tourist areas in normal circumstances and a passenger who has palpitations if I accidentally slip into "Manual" mode, one learns new ways to become "involved".

Son-in-law brought his family in his Porsche Taycan. Without an easy means of getting a decent level of charge at their holiday home, he left it overnight at a local campground paying about £20 to top it up. As he pointed out, there was the minor inconvenience of walking back to the house along the beach but the dog needed the exercise anyway. And £20 for a 300+ mile round trip seemed reasonable, compared to what it would have cost for petrol in their Volvo XC90.

I'm starting to better understand the potential advantages of a well-implemented hybrid set up but the logic for what it does in some situations and when it chooses to do what it does, is not always obvious and consistent.

Still, that makes the Driver Alertness monitoring someone obsolete...

I had a couple of short but interesting rides in the Taycan. The instant acceleration available is, as S-i-L observed, somewhat addictive. I would probably lose my licence within weeks were I in a position to afford one.
Old 28 May 2022, 12:46 (Ref:4111613)   #761
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
And I should have been at Croft this weekend to watch the 750MC meet, including the Alfa Romeo Championship races, but milady had a cataract op a couple of days ago, so I've passed on today at least, and am watching the live stream on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY7rFNlnwMw

May get there live tomorrow, although that will be streamed, too. Sadly the Alfa race poorly supported - obviously as usual the southerners think Croft is a circuit too far
Old 28 May 2022, 19:35 (Ref:4111665)   #762
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

May get there live tomorrow, although that will be streamed, too. Sadly the Alfa race poorly supported - obviously as usual the southerners think Croft is a circuit too far
Given the nature of this weekend and the potential travel travail, I could understand any reticence to journey so far. However, it's a missed opportunity IMO. A great circuit in an interesting part of the country available to enjoy. Why would members of the club turn it down? (Rhetorical question given the costs likely to be involved.)

Does anyone remember the days when the locally produce ICI fuel was thought of as the secret to a successful event?
Old 28 May 2022, 20:53 (Ref:4111670)   #763
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've booked to join the Jaguar Enthusaists Club at their annual gathering being held near Thirsk, this year. Based on the previous posts, am I likely to get a nosebleed traveling so far North?
Old 28 May 2022, 20:56 (Ref:4111671)   #764
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
Classic Touring Car Club meeting at Oulton Park is live on YouTube from 11.35h today. Some excellent grids, including 29 car pre-66 saloons, and Super Tourers featuring John Cleland and Anthony Reid.

Live Stream:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZf...bSW3GX9HvjPmRQ

Event Details:

https://www.barc.net/event/barc-race...oulton-park-2/
That mini of Barry Sime certainly flew at Oulton, tremendous drive and well worth the trip from Scotland. Great entry in the BOSS/Pre '66, as there was at Brands the other week, always impressive to watch some of the smaller miis, anglias and imps give the yank tanks a run for their money.
Old 29 May 2022, 07:43 (Ref:4111685)   #765
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
That mini of Barry Sime certainly flew at Oulton, tremendous drive and well worth the trip from Scotland. Great entry in the BOSS/Pre '66, as there was at Brands the other week, always impressive to watch some of the smaller miis, anglias and imps give the yank tanks a run for their money.
I'm a Mustang fan but found myself rooting for Barry - it was a superb effort. Incredible too how the erstwhile second, third, fourth & fifth-place cars all contrived to go out in the closing minutes of the race.

I haven't seen the results, but did any of them get places back on count-back?
Old 29 May 2022, 10:12 (Ref:4111700)   #766
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
A young bloke belonging to the french cup went to Silverstone and rented an MX5 just to learn the circuit. For a newbie and a RHD rental car finishing 17 of the second race was encouraging but he got a penalty for track limits…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhfZs2VFGkE
Old 29 May 2022, 10:31 (Ref:4111701)   #767
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
A young bloke belonging to the french cup went to Silverstone and rented an MX5 just to learn the circuit. For a newbie and a RHD rental car finishing 17 of the second race was encouraging but he got a penalty for track limits…
A friend of yours was also racing at Oulton, Gerard. He won too.
Old 29 May 2022, 10:57 (Ref:4111704)   #768
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

What a great race. Loved the gallic hand gestures.
Old 29 May 2022, 11:13 (Ref:4111706)   #769
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Poor old Roger Stanford rolled his Cortina. Stopped the race, and he's suffered broken ribs.
Old 29 May 2022, 16:07 (Ref:4111770)   #770
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
What a great race. Loved the gallic hand gestures.

Its quite surprising /annoying at how some of the young set treat track limits. The likes of touring car drivers and Hamilton wannabe types are just making a mockery of track driving now days.
Old 29 May 2022, 18:57 (Ref:4111840)   #771
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Fully agreed Terence.

Re the british Mazda championship, at least the two onboard cameras are mandatory and the images belong to the CoC/organizer, they can be collected just after the race. Is it enough, I cant say but it seems to be a good move forward, lets say a kind of dissuasion weapon.

Thanks John, good news.
Old 29 May 2022, 19:14 (Ref:4111847)   #772
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dr Bob 2022 tour.

On a lighter note "sorry Tel" we took the Elite to Brands yesterday and ran her in Gentleman Drivers 90 min race.I have the wrong diff ratio in as its geared for Le mans but we managed 2nd in class and 25th overall. That's now eight race weekends on the trot. Dr Bob is getting more and more confident at every new race track. Zandvoort this coming weekend followed with a trip to the Red Bull Ring and then the finary at Le Mans at the end of the month
I have had to move the T Bags of the trophy shelf as we are running out of room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trophy shelf.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	74878
Old 29 May 2022, 20:33 (Ref:4111916)   #773
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
On a lighter note "sorry Tel" we took the Elite to Brands yesterday and ran her in Gentleman Drivers 90 min race.I have the wrong diff ratio in as its geared for Le mans but we managed 2nd in class and 25th overall. That's now eight race weekends on the trot. Dr Bob is getting more and more confident at every new race track. Zandvoort this coming weekend followed with a trip to the Red Bull Ring and then the finary at Le Mans at the end of the month
I have had to move the T Bags of the trophy shelf as we are running out of room.

Attachment 74878

Spotted that on TSL. All good stuff. We'll done Dr Bob.
Old 30 May 2022, 03:16 (Ref:4111960)   #774
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fully agreed Terence.

Re the british Mazda championship, at least the two onboard cameras are mandatory and the images belong to the CoC/organizer, they can be collected just after the race. Is it enough, I cant say but it seems to be a good move forward, lets say a kind of dissuasion weapon.

Thanks John, good news.
Yes, very good idea. Maybe it should be implemented in the BRDC F3 championship also. Some very F1 driving in that one alone. Skills? Not needed anymore.
Old 30 May 2022, 16:43 (Ref:4112101)   #775
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Its not all going so well in Delta camp.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FJ BMC Broken crank..jpg
Views:	9
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	74901
Closed Thread