Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Feb 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2826763)   #1
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ginetta, Zytek, LNT

forgive me if this has been covered here or elsewhere already, but what has happened and why? (Ginetta-Zytek split).

Are Zytek still supplying new LMP1/2s? Are Ginetta? Do Zytek still make a P1 motor? And what about the G50Z...?

And is this yet another namechange for that chassis that began life as a Reynard? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Questions, questions!
Old 6 Feb 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2826771)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
As far as I understand, Zytek and Ginetta are now under separate ownership again- Zytek owned by Bill Gibson and Ginetta by Lawrence Tomlinson's LNT Group.

I don't know if Zytek are still offering LMP chassis- all of the cars entered for LMS this year are existing chassis AFAIK (think the 'new' Rangoni LMP1 is the ex-Barazi car) but LMP1 (3.4 V8) & LMP2 (Zytek-NISMO) engines are available

Ginetta are working on their own LMP2- they've linked up with the Ian Dawson Libra Radical project which will be running as an LNT entry in the LMS- they're apparently planning to test some stuff for their new car on the Radical and are also funding development of the IES Nissan engine that was in the car last year.

Don't know what's happened to the G50Z, but the result of the split seems to be two separate LMP & engine projects
Old 6 Feb 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2826773)   #3
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And why would Lawrence Tomlinson be running an LMP2 Radical with IES-tuned Nissan V8; instead of an equivalent Zytek (they have some unused tubs I'm sure) with Zytek-tuned Nismo V8?

The Zytek chassis evolved from the Reynard-then-YGK/IRM-then-DBA-then-Creation 02S, but they must have changed it enough that none of the original parts fit on it. More visually, the tub was changed to double pointy roll-hoops in 2007.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2826778)   #4
lmpracer
Rookie

lmpracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not too sure if this is correct but Ginetta and Zytec have formally split, all past and future chassis will be zytec. Zytec chassis will be running in P1 with ASM and the zytek hybrid with the rangoni team.

P2 will be with the nissan (Nismo)VK45 engine built and serviced by zytec in the UK. P2 chassis and engines will be with Oreca and Greaves, possibly WR??
Zytec seems as business as usual but without Ginetta or LNT.

LNT have bought the a Radical car with Ian dawson on the payrol so it looks like LNT are going to do it on their own. Not sure what they plan to do with the orange zytec chassis that they own??
I stand to be corrected though??
Old 6 Feb 2011, 18:23 (Ref:2826783)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
And why would Lawrence Tomlinson be running an LMP2 Radical with IES-tuned Nissan V8; instead of an equivalent Zytek (they have some unused tubs I'm sure) with Zytek-tuned Nismo V8?
If they've split with Zytek, I guess any chassis etc LNT had have probably been returned to Zytek- and LNT/Ginetta presumably don't own the rights to either the chassis or the engine.
At a rough guess I can't imagine they'd be too keen on being a Zytek customer any more than Zytek would want to supply chassis, engines and parts to a rival constructor.
IIRC the DSC report said that the IES engine designer is now on LNT's payroll, so it sounds as if Ginetta want to be able to supply a chassis and engine package to customers when the new Ginetta LMP2 comes on stream- think they were talking about a production run of half-a-dozen or so of the new car
Old 6 Feb 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2826837)   #6
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpracer View Post
Not too sure if this is correct but Ginetta and Zytec have formally split, all past and future chassis will be zytec. Zytec chassis will be running in P1 with ASM and the zytek hybrid with the rangoni team.

P2 will be with the nissan (Nismo)VK45 engine built and serviced by zytec in the UK. P2 chassis and engines will be with Oreca and Greaves, possibly WR??
Zytec seems as business as usual but without Ginetta or LNT.

LNT have bought the a Radical car with Ian dawson on the payrol so it looks like LNT are going to do it on their own. Not sure what they plan to do with the orange zytec chassis that they own??
I stand to be corrected though??
OK - First two paras above are correct with one major discrepancy - It's Zytek not Zytec ! Sorry to be pedantic but that misspelling (and Donnington with two 'n's !) really jars with me somehow!

I'm not at all sure that the Radical has been bought by LNT - The Libra team are contracted to LNT for the season ahead - No idea what (if any) plans they have for the orange car - which I'm sure they would want to refer to as a Ginetta Zytek - are!
Old 6 Feb 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2826839)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do Zytek aim to continue as a chassis constructor beyond the current cars life or focus on engines and hybrid systems?
Old 6 Feb 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2826895)   #8
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would we see a Ginetta-Radical?
Old 7 Feb 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2827280)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Who bought Radical anyway ? Greaves sold it , didnt he .
Old 7 Feb 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2827308)   #10
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
Would we see a Ginetta-Radical?
No - Radical aren't involved in the LNT/ Libra deal
Old 8 Feb 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2827863)   #11
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
No - Radical aren't involved in the LNT/ Libra deal
Not sure if this is the latest entry list, but it seems the Nissan is badged as a Ginetta.

Is it a Radical-Ginetta then?
Old 8 Feb 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2828003)   #12
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Albert View Post
Not sure if this is the latest entry list, but it seems the Nissan is badged as a Ginetta.

Is it a Radical-Ginetta then?
Yes, IES is no more, aparrently Graham Dale Jones is now on the Ginetta payroll......putting 2 and 2 together, I suspect Ginetta-LNT probably have bigger plans for this Nissan VK base engine, as it will probably slip in a treat to the other Ginetta chassis and help make a good GT3 or GT2 car, homologation allowing......I think their current engine is a ford/jaguar 3.0 V6 which may not be able to cut the mustard in GT2/3, a bit too small in my opinion......just a complete guess on my behalf, feel free to shoot me down!!!

Regarding the Radical SR9, I heard a rumour through the grapevine (not from Ian) that Ian has purchased the manufacturing rights and production tooling for the SR9 chassis from Radical at a bargain "fire sale" price, as Radical just wanted to wash their hands of it, as it didnt make them any money, but this could turn out to be complete nonsense, I really dont know how true that is, please feel free to correct me.....but I guess its homologated as a radical, so its still refered to as a radical......for sure the SR9 has had some neat updates on the front and rear and it looks a better car, is aparrently 8kph faster in a straight line, will be interesting to see how it performs in the sebring test and the LMS, I think the only benchmark at sebring wil be the LMPC cars.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2828012)   #13
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Do Zytek aim to continue as a chassis constructor beyond the current cars life or focus on engines and hybrid systems?
Mystic Mog tells me of something exciting to be announced soon regarding Zytek and the big race.........

Watch this space..........
Old 8 Feb 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2828022)   #14
lmpracer
Rookie

lmpracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The nissan V8 in the radical is 4.0 liter i believe and the earlier version (VQ maybe). Zytek are the sole european supplier and service agent of the VK45 Nissan (Nismo) current P2 engine. The two are different.
Obviously now that the two parties have gone their seperate ways Ginetta LNT maybe want to emulate what Zytek could have done for them whilst they were together, or maybe this is wide of the mark??
Old 9 Feb 2011, 05:25 (Ref:2828162)   #15
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
but I guess its homologated as a radical, so its still refered to as a radical.......
Someone forgot to tell YGK/Zytec/Creation/Ginetta/DBA this...
Old 17 Mar 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2847794)   #16
Monstrobolaxa
Rookie

Monstrobolaxa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpracer View Post
The nissan V8 in the radical is 4.0 liter i believe and the earlier version (VQ maybe). Zytek are the sole european supplier and service agent of the VK45 Nissan (Nismo) current P2 engine. The two are different.
Can't comment a lot on what has been said...but we are running the same block as Nismo. We have the VK45....!

The difference is that Nismo is supported by Nissan Japan. While the IES engine is supported by Nissan North America.