Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Closed Thread

Old 29 Sep 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2962610)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2012 WEC Entries

Seeing as it's that time of year, here's a prospective 2012 grid, add and delete as appropriate.

LMP1

2x Audi Sport R18
2x Peugeot Sport 908
?x ORECA/Peugeot/Nissan
1x Strakka HPD
1x ? HPD
2x Rebellion Lola-Toyota
2x ? Lola-Toyota
1/2x Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo-Judd
2x OAK Racing Pescarolo-Judd
1x Hope PoleVision ORECA Hybrid
1x Mik Corse Zytek Hybrid

LMP2

2x Greaves Motorsport ?-Nissan
1/2x Signatech ORECA-Nissan
1/2x Level HPD
1/2x Dempsey Racing Lola-?

GTE Pro/Am

2x AF corse Ferrari
2x Luxory Racing Ferrari
1x Krohn Racing Ferrari
2x Labre Corvette
2x Team Felbermayr Proton Porsche
2x Jetalliance Lotus
2x AMR Aston Martin
1x Gulf AMR Middle East Aston Martin
Old 29 Sep 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2962616)   #2
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can add Risi to the list for GTE Pro/Am after what Murphy/Kjos said in his latest article. Dempsey has ruled out a full time WEC campaign it appears. Is Hope Racing done in general or is it just their Hybrid LMP1 program that is dead?
Old 29 Sep 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2962620)   #3
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Is Hope Racing done in general or is it just their Hybrid LMP1 program that is dead?
They've given up with their FLM car for the last two LMS races as well, so it's a possible sign that they're done in general.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2962622)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe Rebellion will do ALMS .

2 cars for Strakka .

I have very little hope for Hope Hybrid system .
Old 29 Sep 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2962623)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hope PoleVision said they were developing the car further before returning in 2012, we'll see.

http://www.hoperacing.ch/?lang=en
Old 29 Sep 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2962625)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Maybe Rebellion will do ALMS.
I think they'll have ALMS outings but not sure they'll compete for the season. Seems to me they are arguing for the best equivallency (and rightly so) for the 2012 WEC which of course includes Le Mans.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2962633)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The Tribes of Miami Honda's future is dependent on how long they can hold off the law, which they've done a good job of so far... but at some point it's going to end.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2962642)   #8
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The Tribes of Miami Honda's future is dependent on how long they can hold off the law, which they've done a good job of so far... but at some point it's going to end.

I think both rebellions will be in the WEC. Seeing as they are likely to do WEC. according to the speed article.

Think Dempsey will do a permanent ALMS entry with a Lola-Mazda.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2965711)   #9
jo1998sh
Rookie

United Kingdom
jo1998sh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pegasus racing deciding between one car WEC campaign or a 2 car LMS campaign with an Oreca 03 in LMP2

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-8452.html

(In french)
Old 4 Oct 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2965740)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
Signatec say they want to run two cars in the WEC but don't say which class.

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...%26prmd%3Divns
Old 5 Oct 2011, 03:52 (Ref:2965909)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
Rumour is ORECA are going with the latest 908, could push Audi into supplying customer cars to compete for the manufactuers title.

ATM, you could argue the ILMC title means little, winning individual races being of greater importance, a World Championship is a different kettle of fish.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 04:50 (Ref:2965917)   #12
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
ATM, you could argue the ILMC title means little, winning individual races being of greater importance, a World Championship is a different kettle of fish.
No idea how important it really is to Peugeot's marketing, but I think this is one title that is going to forgotten pretty quickly... if the WEC is still running in the year 2022, no one is going to remember pre-2012 titles.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 05:04 (Ref:2965923)   #13
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
No idea how important it really is to Peugeot's marketing, but I think this is one title that is going to forgotten pretty quickly... if the WEC is still running in the year 2022, no one is going to remember pre-2012 titles.
We'll see, but I doubt anyone will care about WEC points in the future either. Fans will remember which cars ran well and which did not. Fans will remember that Peugeot kicked serious butt during the ILMC period (and a bit before that), but Le Mans was a stumbling point.

As far as Oreca goes, I think it helps Peugeot to have a backup plan especially if they go to hybrid cars (or at least one car) next year. That may not be the reason why Oreca would run the 908, but it helps their chances anyway. Audi may do the same with hybrids, but I don't know if they will have a privateer team. For one thing, there aren't a lot of Oreca quality teams with their type of sports car experience and infrastructure. Oreca has their own sponsors and stuff. It's a first class operation. Also, rumor is that the factory team is under a lot of pressure to perform due to the lack of results most of the year. Do they want to risk losing to a privateer? How can that be explained?

Then again, it may not be the factory team's decision. Plus, after the carnage and attrition they had this year, they may want to have as many bullets as possible.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 05:29 (Ref:2965927)   #14
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
We'll see, but I doubt anyone will care about WEC points in the future either. Fans will remember which cars ran well and which did not. Fans will remember that Peugeot kicked serious butt during the ILMC period (and a bit before that), but Le Mans was a stumbling point.
Fans? I think you're more like talking about the average follower/viewer/spectator. Anyway I see this drastically changing, especially the year it's no longer two-way battle. Obviously for a while it's going to be a far cry from the old WSC but don't underestimate the difference between nonsensical "Intercontinental Some Foreign Words Cup" and "World Championship".
Old 5 Oct 2011, 05:49 (Ref:2965937)   #15
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'll see. Le Mans is such a powerful force that I think it will always be the benchmark for this type of racing. The championship will be there, but it would be like winning the President's trophy in the NHL. It would be a nice reward for a season of hard work, but Le Mans is what people will remember the most.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2966672)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Signatec say they want to run two cars in the WEC but don't say which class.

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...%26prmd%3Divns
Autosport say they aim to run two 03 P2's while 35 full season entries are expected.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 16:08 (Ref:2966717)   #17
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^ They had 2 cars at Petit. Seems like a no brainer, remember before the earthquake they had 2 entries at Le Mans.
Great news about the 35 cars too, should be a stellar grid, this year there were 25 entries (excluding Hope) and look how good it was. I hope that number doesn't include an LMPC class, I think that was announced as ALMS/LMS only which makes sense due to the budgets. Does it says when the entry will be released?
Old 11 Oct 2011, 00:23 (Ref:2968997)   #18
AGD
Veteran

If Dagys' interpretation of the new LMP2 rules is correct, who is running what in the WEC next year?

Some easy assumptions would be the teams that ran in the ILMC this year:

Signatech - Oreca 03
Level 5 - ARX-01g
OAK - OAK Pescarolo

So who runs the Lola coupe? Lola open-top? Norma? Zytek? ARX-03b? And what happens if those models are not represented in the WEC? Are they not allowed in the LMS/ALMS/Le Mans? I don't really understand the rule. Is it possible that Dagys is misinterpretating the rule?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2970180)   #19
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it possible that Dagys is misinterpretating the rule?

This is what the rule says, verbatim, from the latest technical bulletin:

"The manufacturer must be able to sell within a reasonable time, and subject to firm orders, at least 5 cars every year. Each model of car must be sold by the manufacturer to a private team (at least 1 car) entered in the World Endurance Championship or any other International Series sanctioned by the FIA ".

Make your own interpretations...

Judging there isn't any other international series sanctioned by the FIA, it would presumably mean WEC only. Still waiting to hear back from the ACO for official clarification.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2970184)   #20
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19dodge View Post
This is what the rule says, verbatim, from the latest technical bulletin:

"The manufacturer must be able to sell within a reasonable time, and subject to firm orders, at least 5 cars every year. Each model of car must be sold by the manufacturer to a private team (at least 1 car) entered in the World Endurance Championship or any other International Series sanctioned by the FIA ".

Make your own interpretations...

Judging there isn't any other international series sanctioned by the FIA, it would presumably mean WEC only. Still waiting to hear back from the ACO for official clarification.
So what happens if they don't sell a car to a WEC team? I know you don't know yet, but could that mean they would not be able to compete at Le Mans, LMS, and ALMS? I guess the ALMS and LMS could ignore this, but I don't know.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 23:22 (Ref:2970193)   #21
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Aren't almost all international series recognized aka sanctioned by FIA?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 23:31 (Ref:2970195)   #22
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Aren't almost all international series recognized aka sanctioned by FIA?
Yes, but stuff like the ALMS and LMS aren't international championships. Are they international series? I don't know. Why would they even add that rule if it counted just about everyone?

This whole rule does not make sense unless it is a cheap ploy to boost the WEC car count. If you count "international series" as being any series sanctioned by the FIA, then I guess you could say it is trying to bolster the grids for the ALMS, LMS, and anyone else. I don't know if that is what it is saying though.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 00:12 (Ref:2970207)   #23
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Yes, but stuff like the ALMS and LMS aren't international championships. Are they international series? I don't know.
Page 5: http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public...01.01.2011.pdf

Summary: there are only international and national series. Most obvious difference is that in a national series only one race can be outside of the country (and even then has to have common/maritime border). So, at least LMS can't be national series. ALMS could be, but I really don't think it is. At least it sure wasn't in 2000-2001 with races in Europe and Australia in addition to Canada.

Quote:
Why would they even add that rule if it counted just about everyone?
Just about every series that accepts LMP2 cars/has LMP2 class... So, really it reads like "in the WEC, ALMS or LMS". I'm fairly sure about this.

Last edited by deggis; 13 Oct 2011 at 00:36.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2970212)   #24
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So what happens if they don't sell a car to a WEC team? I know you don't know yet, but could that mean they would not be able to compete at Le Mans, LMS, and ALMS? I guess the ALMS and LMS could ignore this, but I don't know.
I honestly don't know.. Just passing along the info. I have posed the exact question to the ACO - no reply yet.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 00:42 (Ref:2970213)   #25
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In FIA terms the 2000 ALMS season would've already qualified as a world championship, events held on three continents... same with FIA GT 1997-1999.
Closed Thread